Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Dicky mouse posted:

Not judging but what is the best way forward (besides not doing it)

If he admits to it then its case closed and you have no choice to take action, but a he said she said situation is more tricky no?

If he admits to it then yes its case closed however you are then dealing with some inappropriate behaviour instead of that mixed in with lying.

In one case I dealt with, the offended party was very keen that the groper did not lose their job as they had been very good friends before the incident so a serious sanction was applied without dismissal. It was unpaid disciplinary suspension, in case you are interested. This isnt in the US btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
a few drinks at a party to wind down with your colleagues is ok, and its a pretty good way to catch the irresponsible chucklefucks

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Why do companies even allow alcohol at their sanctioned and often paid for events? It just seems like liability all the way down. It's like a trap.

Yeah, why would a company want to encourage their employees to have fun and socialize with one another once or twice a year? That would be terrible for morale. Employable adults are incapable of consuming alcohol responsibly.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've been 1/2 awake all night throwing up every bit of everything in my digestive system and all my delirious brain could think to do is chant bull el pup or whatever that cuck thing is. So I want to say I hate you all and everything else and I welcome death.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

LethalGeek posted:

I've been 1/2 awake all night throwing up every bit of everything in my digestive system and all my delirious brain could think to do is chant bull el pup or whatever that cuck thing is. So I want to say I hate you all and everything else and I welcome death.

that is so hot

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
One company I worked for gave everyone two poker chips at the start of the party to exchange for drinks. Enough to get a bit of a buzz and have fun, but not drunk. You could always go out for drinks after the work party if you needed to humiliate yourself. I thought that worked well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bonster posted:

One company I worked for gave everyone two poker chips at the start of the party to exchange for drinks. Enough to get a bit of a buzz and have fun, but not drunk. You could always go out for drinks after the work party if you needed to humiliate yourself. I thought that worked well.

I like this because it makes us non drinkers likable(here have my spare tokens) to the normal people instead of just outcast.

But that's really just your company being cheap, FYI

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
In what world is two drinks enough to "get a buzz going?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

poopnanners posted:

Trap sprung.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

poopnanners posted:

Yeah, seriously.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

poopnanners posted:

Three, minimum. I'm not fat or particularly tall, and I don't have some crazy tolerance, but if I want to feel like I've been drinking I need at least three.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

poopnanners posted:

Employable adults are incapable of consuming alcohol responsibly.

These stories indicate that yes, this is true.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I keep asking my older coworkers what it was that made our company switch from nighttime christmas parties with booze to dry luncheons

Nobody has given me a straight answer yet but I assume it's gotta be a hell of a story

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

poopnanners posted:

eating is cheating guzzle it down u good 2 go

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not a Children posted:

I keep asking my older coworkers what it was that made our company switch from nighttime christmas parties with booze to dry luncheons

Nobody has given me a straight answer yet but I assume it's gotta be a hell of a story

All of our company Christmas parties have taken place in organized settings, like restaurants. One time it was one of these dinner cruises on the river. You could get all the alcohol you wanted, but it was on your own dime so nobody really ended up drunk.

We make up for it by holding birthday celebrations where everyone gets to temporarily pause the work day to eat cake and ice cream and chat shortly after lunch. We have enough people now that it happens practically monthly, sometimes more than once a month.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Some of my best drinking/hook-up stories are from work events, the secret is to not be a loving dickhead when you get drunk.

... Or work as a travel agent, getting drunk with colleagues on a weekly basis is basically compulsory if you want to really fit in

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

poopnanners posted:

I might mention that I'm a 120 pound female lightweight.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
People who drink less than a dozen drinks worth of booze a year ( one wine at weddings/other big celebrations; the minuscule shot of diluted wine during mass) are certainly going to be buzzing after two drinks. Sorry about your drinking problems. (the problem is not enough booze. More shots!)

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
My old company's Christmas party always has booze and generally everyone behaves themselves. I have been to functions on the CEOs yacht before, however, and for whatever reason those always bring out the drunken assholes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

People who drink less than a dozen drinks worth of booze a year ( one wine at weddings/other big celebrations; the minuscule shot of diluted wine during mass) are certainly going to be buzzing after two drinks. Sorry about your drinking problems.

Yes, I am tall and fat and male but since I rarely drink, two drinks is enough for me to get a mild buzz going.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What it takes to get a "buzz" is extremely variable based on size, tolerance, a full/empty stomach, activity level (lively party or sitting on the couch), and the simple fact that people draw the line at different places.

Basically the whole discussion is stupid because it's 99% relativity.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
One of the previous companies I worked for had a holiday party during lunch work hours with alcohol, and surprisingly, no one got drunk or too crazy from what I heard. All they had was beer and wine though. No hard liquor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On the other hand, cast parties tend to go in absolutely ridiculous directions even if there's no liquor. 5 glasses of wine and you get some pretty out there suggestions for where everyone should go after the party...

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

true

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

Chomp8645 posted:

Basically the whole comment is stupid because it can be applied to 99% of discussions.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jesus Christ shut up and post something, we have a brand new cool emoticon

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

LethalGeek posted:

I am in the same boat. Berth ell pup has invaded my waking life.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Professor Shark posted:

Jesus Christ shut up and post something, we have a brand new cool emoticon

Sorry it's the week between Christmas and New Year and most posters have the week off.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I don't understand how knowing the Old Norse phrase for "I love you" is life ruining?

:confused:

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

bERTH EWLLL PUSPPP

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bonster posted:

The problem is that if there are too many non-drinkers, they'll all funnel their tokens to the loudest drunks, who will get utterly trashed anyway. I remember one party where a higher-up was trying to pawn the drink tickets off on anyone who'd take them (since they'd paid for the tickets ahead of time).

Open bars don't have that problem: you drink as much as you want and then stop like the functional adult you are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Girth Will Pop

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you NEED alcohol in social settings, guess what! You actually do have a problem. There's nothing at all wrong with dry functions.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wanna open the Perth Ell Pub

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Pick posted:

If you NEED alcohol in social settings, guess what! You actually do have a problem. There's nothing at all wrong with dry functions.

Most people who are like this are self medicating social anxiety or avoidant personality disorder.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Incoherence posted:

The problem is that if there are too many non-drinkers, they'll all funnel their tokens to the loudest drunks, who will get utterly trashed anyway. I remember one party where a higher-up was trying to pawn the drink tickets off on anyone who'd take them (since they'd paid for the tickets ahead of time).

Open bars don't have that problem: you drink as much as you want and then stop like the functional adult you are.

That's basically what happened at a previous job's holiday party. I pawned a drink off a work friend myself. But since plenty of co-workers didn't drink or didn't want to drink during work hours, apparently most people were adult enough to not get trashed.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
LOL if you've never been to a work Christmas party where the police got called because there was too much cocaine continually on the cisterns of the toilets next to the ballroom.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
My [25F] fiancé [28M] of 3 years was distant and rude towards my family on our Christmas break, just because he didn't get what he wanted

quote:

I'm seriously considering breaking up over this and I'm not sure if I'm exaggerating or not.

My fiancé Brian and I live 10 hours away from my parents and siblings so he hasn't spent a lot of time with them.

I am very close to my family. I have 3 younger siblings aged 12-16 that I love to bits. These kids mean the world to me.

Brian hasn't celebrated Christmas ever (his parents doesn't do anything for it) and he hadn't attended my family events due to various reasons (work or other events prevented him from joining me) But this year I thought we could finally spend it with my family.

This meant a lot to me and he knew how excited I was about it months in advance. The kids were calling me regularly to check things with me and he could see how much it meant to them too.

Yet 3 weeks before we were meant to leave, he tells about this holiday trip thats on sale and that we should take it up. How I always spend Christmas with my family and not with him (He has always been invited!). He then goes on about how I'm not religious so why do I even bother with it.

Now Christmas to me is not about religion, no one in my family is religious. It more about tradition and bringing us together as a family. We all cook together, eat together, laugh together, give each other little gifts, play games and just having a good time.

I tell him that I'm not going to change plans in such short notice just because he found some sale on a trip. Hes free to do as he wishes but I'd like to spend it with my family.

Well we finally attend, we were spending few days here. I thought things were going great, we start cooking and doing the prep work together with the kids.

The kids were being a little cheeky and "trialing" the foods just to "make sure they measure up", nothing new and I actually account for this knowing that but I still love calling them out when they're sneaking some away as they start giggling and come up with some really creative reasons.

Well Brian got really annoyed and started yelling at the kids that they are sneaky, lying brats and gave them a lecture on how rude it is to steal food. I was shocked, pulled him a side and told him that we were all clearly just teasing each other and how theres plenty of food. He was clearly irritated but kept quite the rest of our time there. He didn't even thank my family for having us over, nope nothing. He was cold and distant the entire time and despite our efforts to get him to join us, he just stayed on his phone the entire time

When we finally left he started off again telling me my family is loud, the kids are spoiled, selfish brats with no manners (He couldn't be any more wrong! my sister won a raffle at school and she decided to donate the basket of gifts she got to those who needed it more, shes only 12 and my family is far from rich. These kids are talented, very funny, smart and generous. Yes they can be loud especially when they're excited but who cares ?. He then tells me that Ive ruined our chances of having an amazing time by choosing to take part in this pointless gathering.

I basically exploded at him at this point and told him I couldn't believe I was with someone like him. I don't know what to do at this stage but I don't think I can be with someone like him.

Brian has been apologizing and claims he realizes he behaved poorly because he was disappointed about the trip. He was upset that I spent so much money on food and gifts for the kids when I could have spent it on the holiday (I should mention we have separate accounts and pay 50/50 for all expenses so I didn't use cash from joint accounts). I think the only reason he has backed off is because he realized this is a hill I'm willing to walk off on so I don't think hes actually that sorry. Because each sentence to me is filled with excuses.

Am I being overly sensitive ?. I mean I guess if I was to be fair, Brian is not use to children and he has never really had a crowded big family gathering (hes an only child) but I still dont think being on your phone at any event is acceptable behavior so theres no way he didn't know how that would be perceived.

I love Brian so much and it hurts to think of life without him but the more I think about this the more I think Brian and I are not compatible. To me my partner will become part of my family. I will not be starting a new family through ditching my old family. Am I wrong ?

NOTE: I think people are thinking of 100s of people so I should clarify that this wasnt the case. It was just my immediate family (parents and siblings) there.

tl;dr: My fiancé was extremely rude and out of line at my family christmas. He then spent the entire time on his phone and basically either ignored and/or stayed out of any activities we did - just because I didn't change my plans in 3 weeks notice and left the country with him

Dear reddit, my fiance is a miserable rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NomChompsky posted:

Most people who are like this are self medicating social anxiety or avoidant personality disorder.

That still means they have a problem, medicating should be done with medicine.