Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Since we are talking about levels, based on mine and my friend's lvl 1 experience so far, the game definitely feels.. a bit more interesting?

Food and accessories are super important and you don't really feel underpowered because you deal respectable damage by using correct weapons and buffs. The only downside is your super low HP which can be alleviated by grinding some equipment.

I have no idea how terrible the post game will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The biggest downside to a level 1 run so far is that you have no MP. HP can be boosted in a a lot of ways, but MP sucks especially if you're trying to increase survivability by equipping Shield of the Just to boost HP and Defense, since this tanks your MP by 50 whole points out of the 75 or so base MP value.

That said, having poo poo HP is awful, too, since high damage enemies can take you from full to dead in a single hit if you aren't properly buffed.

Totally looking forward to doing Costlemark since I have to decide between Attack/HP buffs or Elemental resistance buffs for my food. :sigh:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well the combat in 3 is improved from 2(and definitely from 1). Gathering for potions is a bit different too. You just need to craft the potion / bomb once, then when you rest the uses are automatically restored provided you have a strong alcohol in your inventory(it's plentiful and everywhere). Sounds like you should give it a try. And if you are on PC, you can just mod away any stuff you still find annoying.

Ok! I'll...

Bushiz posted:

I am an avowed witcher non-liker and found the problems that made witcher one and two unplayable for me have been made better, but it was still a chore for me to finish the game, and I would not recommend its purchase.

...yarg, maybe wait for it to go on sale for $19.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I delete photos from the camera roll after I've saved them to the ps4, do they get deleted from the ps4 too?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unless you count the Dissidia remixes and stuff like FF12 Battle on the Big Bridge, no.

piss flippin' hell :negative:

maybe the DLC will solve this

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Weeping Wound posted:

maybe the DLC will solve this

lol

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

You don't need to farm. Use some Rare Coins to create a set of 5 x99 Expericasts, eat an EXP-boosting food like the Moghan Lasagna, fire off the spells, sleep at the 30,000-gil deluxe room in Altissia's hotel. You'll rocket up 20-25 levels in thirty minutes.

e: and it's even easier now with the Nixperience Band available, since you can just bank EXP for as long as you like before tripling it at Altissia.

This was from a couple pages ago, but are there any enemies I should seek out to use expericasts on?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This was from a couple pages ago, but are there any enemies I should seek out to use expericasts on?

You can cast it on anything, you get the same amount of exp

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there any way to cancel out of armiger mode early? Like I use it on a bunch of stuff I want nuked but somehow there's one last enemy's way on the other side of the encounter ring, can I not just end it early to save for later? It's easy enough to build up but normally in games that have a devil trigger-like mode you can switch it off if you want but I can't figure out how.

Also I set the dlc to download while I went out so it'll be installed, do I have to do anything special to get the null exp ring or will it just appear in my inventory? I like banking exp to level up a bunch in one go but I hate that it means I have to deal with traveling at night half the time and not being able to cook.

Also I guess while I'm asking questions: is there a food that boosts drop rate without boosting exp? Enjoying all the drops I'm getting from the mother/child rice bowl but I don't really care about exp, if I ever start caring about levels again I'll just make a bunch of expcasts and sleep at galdin

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Is there any way to cancel out of armiger mode early? Like I use it on a bunch of stuff I want nuked but somehow there's one last enemy's way on the other side of the encounter ring, can I not just end it early to save for later? It's easy enough to build up but normally in games that have a devil trigger-like mode you can switch it off if you want but I can't figure out how.

Also I set the dlc to download while I went out so it'll be installed, do I have to do anything special to get the null exp ring or will it just appear in my inventory? I like banking exp to level up a bunch in one go but I hate that it means I have to deal with traveling at night half the time and not being able to cook.

Also I guess while I'm asking questions: is there a food that boosts drop rate without boosting exp? Enjoying all the drops I'm getting from the mother/child rice bowl but I don't really care about exp, if I ever start caring about levels again I'll just make a bunch of expcasts and sleep at galdin

You can't cancel Armiger Mode early, the new accessories are immediately deposited into your inventory, and I think the Bean Croquettes give a modest boost to drop rate with no EXP boost, though it may be the other way around.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

You can cast it on anything, you get the same amount of exp

Yeah, just to specify, using Expericast immediately gives you a flat amount of EXP added to the battle's final tally, it doesn't act as a multiplier or anything. With a 100% EXP-gain food buff, a single Expericastx99 gives you ~24,000 EXP.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oxxidation posted:

You can't cancel Armiger Mode early, the new accessories are immediately deposited into your inventory, and I think the Bean Croquettes give a modest boost to drop rate with no EXP boost, though it may be the other way around.

Thanks!

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
So this game is really fun, but what's up with the royal Ed Hardy garb? The clothes and hair in his game are so bafflingly bad. It's weird when you stack such tacky decisions against really good and fun gameplay design. Like, who at the top has such a garbage sense of what looks cool??

I've started seeing scenes with imperials, and their clothes are way less grounded in our reality, so I feel like they get away with all the extra collars and straps. It was just jarring when we meet the super serious Marshal Cor, decked out in his official clubbing shirt.

Sorry, I know FF always does weird things with outfits, but what's the deeeeeeal?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Power Walrus posted:

So this game is really fun, but what's up with the royal Ed Hardy garb? The clothes and hair in his game are so bafflingly bad. It's weird when you stack such tacky decisions against really good and fun gameplay design. Like, who at the top has such a garbage sense of what looks cool??

I've started seeing scenes with imperials, and their clothes are way less grounded in our reality, so I feel like they get away with all the extra collars and straps. It was just jarring when we meet the super serious Marshal Cor, decked out in his official clubbing shirt.

Sorry, I know FF always does weird things with outfits, but what's the deeeeeeal?

The game started out as some kind of collaboration with actual fashion companies (that's famously why Noctis and co.'s shoes all have red soles, it's some kind of trademark) so I think the fact that everyone in Insomnia is decked out like a goth Calvin Klein model is legacy material from that. Even then, it's a JRPG. Silly outfits and improbable hair are standard issue.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The character designer of FFXV is Roberto Ferrari, of course they look like that.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I don't understand how the game didn't launch with like 40 $5 clothing DLCs and how there haven't been another 40 post-launch.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Also I didn't realize there was a weapons shop in the hammerhead during chap 14 (I swear I walked all over looking for one, but I could only find some plot documents) so now the only way I can get them is by replaying the game. Apparently I missed a unique conversation despite staying at the trailer too

This is from a couple of pages ago, but do not despair. All those weapons from that vendor are available at the hunter hq outpost near the vesperpool.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Trudis posted:

This is from a couple of pages ago, but do not despair. All those weapons from that vendor are available at the hunter hq outpost near the vesperpool.

Oh it's just those lovely weapons that do extra damage to demons?

I'm still upset about the trailer conversation not triggering though!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

MrLonghair posted:

The character designer of FFXV is Roberto Ferrari, of course they look like that.

Only for like a couple of characters. Mainly Cindy, Gentiana and a couple of Niflheim folks.

It's actually kinda easy to tell which characters are designed by different people since the style varies so wildly.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Coughing Hobo posted:

I don't understand how the game didn't launch with like 40 $5 clothing DLCs and how there haven't been another 40 post-launch.

Same, seems like a no-brainer. I would actually buy a couple.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a way to quickly get more rare coins?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Oh it's just those lovely weapons that do extra damage to demons?

I'm still upset about the trailer conversation not triggering though!

Correct. If you want the actual best weapons, you have to do the legendary weapons questline, the menace dungeons, or pick one or two of them off the ground, like the magnum and the dominator.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

You really surprised they weren't ready to launch this game?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Die Sexmonster! posted:

You really surprised they weren't ready to launch this game?

With extensive day-one DLC, yeah, kinda.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

The game started out as some kind of collaboration with actual fashion companies (that's famously why Noctis and co.'s shoes all have red soles, it's some kind of trademark) so I think the fact that everyone in Insomnia is decked out like a goth Calvin Klein model is legacy material from that. Even then, it's a JRPG. Silly outfits and improbable hair are standard issue.

Well that does help to explain the horrible chain wallets and short-sleeve dusters. It'd be nice if we could do more dress up, though. At least let me put some leather armor over that t-shirt, Noctis. You're gonna get it all ripped up by those tigerdog things!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The suit Noctis has at the end is pretty sharp.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The suit Noctis has at the end is pretty sharp.

It feels too goofy in postgame eating those gas station fries in a cape and a suit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nina posted:

It feels too goofy in postgame eating those gas station fries in a cape and a suit

It'd be choice if you could just take off the cape. I think that version is DLC only.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How exactly do you make the most use of all the coins for expericasts? Is it worth me just using one to get 3 expericast spells and just nuking random encounters repeatedly (I'm only on chapter 6), or is the experience gained proportionate to the mob you're nuking? Should I use several coins in one crafting to make more powerful/plentiful expericasts? Is there some kind of breakpoint I should be shooting for?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

How exactly do you make the most use of all the coins for expericasts? Is it worth me just using one to get 3 expericast spells and just nuking random encounters repeatedly (I'm only on chapter 6), or is the experience gained proportionate to the mob you're nuking? Should I use several coins in one crafting to make more powerful/plentiful expericasts? Is there some kind of breakpoint I should be shooting for?

You need to pump up the level to Expericastx99 to get the full effect (that's 5 Rare Coins or over a dozen Debased coins, I think). The mob you nuke doesn't matter, it's a flat gain rate per spell. The important thing is to use the Altissia deluxe suite and EXP-multiplying food buffs in conjunction with the Expericasts, otherwise you're gonna be stuck grinding coins to get everyone maxed out. But the Maagho Lasagna + 5 Expericastx99 + suite is somewhere around 360k exp, all in one go.

The short version is this isn't something you need to worry about until the postgame. Just doing sidequests will keep you well north of the level minimum for the entire main storyline.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 27, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

You need to pump up the level to Expericastx99 to get the full effect (that's 5 Rare Coins or over a dozen Debased coins, I think). The mob you nuke doesn't matter, it's a flat gain rate per spell. The important thing is to use the Altissia deluxe suite and EXP-multiplying food buffs in conjunction with the Expericasts, otherwise you're gonna be stuck grinding coins to get everyone maxed out. But the Maagho Lasagna + 5 Expericastx99 + suite is somewhere around 300k exp, all in one go.

The short version is this isn't something you need to worry about until the postgame. Just doing sidequests will keep you well north of the level minimum for the entire main storyline.

Also doing this once you get to Chapter 9 and unlock the x3 exerpience hotel also is a good thing

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

You need to pump up the level to Expericastx99 to get the full effect (that's 5 Rare Coins or over a dozen Debased coins, I think). The mob you nuke doesn't matter, it's a flat gain rate per spell. The important thing is to use the Altissia deluxe suite and EXP-multiplying food buffs in conjunction with the Expericasts, otherwise you're gonna be stuck grinding coins to get everyone maxed out. But the Maagho Lasagna + 5 Expericastx99 + suite is somewhere around 360k exp, all in one go.

Specifically, this is because adding more of the catalyst gives you more casts in addition to more exp per cast, so it gets more and more efficient until you cap out at 99 power (96 is fine too, so you aren't wasting any).

What I did was bring 38k gil to Altissia, eat the +100% exp food, take one of the hunts there, and then walk up to the target, cast an expericast spell, and then run away to reset the fight while the magic cooldown was running. Once I had spent all of my materials, I rested at the 3x bonus hotel.

As said, you really shouldn't do this during the actual story, because you'll end up way overleveled and the game will probably be less fun.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
this sounds dumb but where the gently caress are these holiday dlc items.

I have the carnival tickets in my inventory but don't have the accessories.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

WaltherFeng posted:

How long it usually takes to get 80 chests? I haven't played JM5 at all but I need those HP bangles

RNG based, could take between half hour to a full hour.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got me platinum and I found Pitioss. I almost hosed up the landing by hitting the rocks before the landing strip and going off course but apparently it wasn't enough to blow me up so cool.

Last achievement was Photography again, proving once again that Prompto is the worst.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got me platinum and I found Pitioss. I almost hosed up the landing by hitting the rocks before the landing strip and going off course but apparently it wasn't enough to blow me up so cool.

Last achievement was Photography again, proving once again that Prompto is the worst.

Prompto was the first character I had hit level 10 in their character skill.

Also Prompto is good, what the gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh, oh, I see what you did here.

No, no, it's spelled Gladio, not Prompto. They both have o at the end, easy to get mistaken.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Prompto takes bad photos and is bad in combat because he's too busy taking selfies.

A bad friend.

Just kidding his photos own

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually doing Pitioss made me wish I had crashed and gotten a game over on the landing strip. How did you max survival before photography? I'm guessing my religious amount of camping leveled photography super fast.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Did Gardenias just help an engaged man hit on his baby sister? The weirdest side quest so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Saint Freak posted:

Did Gardenias just help an engaged man hit on his baby sister? The weirdest side quest so far.

He just knows Iris has a crush on Noctis so the flower would mean more to her if it came from him.

• Locked thread