Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

2017 exmarx posted:

you're delusional dude. hillary sucked as a candidate and you're apparently unable to name a single policy she campaigned on

If the excuse is we can't run career politicians for the premiere political post then that's nonsense and giving up to the know nothings.
I have repeatedly stood by the fact that we could have had a better candidate but why don't you point out this mythical Democratic party rockstar?
lol that you think I don't know her platform when you display on a daily basis how little you paid attention other than through the critical leftist lens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the paradigm shift posted:

If the excuse is we can't run career politicians for the premiere political post then that's nonsense and giving up to the know nothings.

If your country is crippled by regulatory capture, nepotism, and corruption, then no, you really can't.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Once again completely unrelated to the argument at hand. Quit trying to fishmech me away from the original point of you insisting it was Hillary the politician and 'centrist'(maybe in a worldwide context) policies that lost the election

is clinton talking in a 'worldwide context' here, do you think?

of the three states i mentioned, only nc has new restrictions in place. which is why i said that "of those, nc is the only state to have new voter suppression measures in place."

at least try to read

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

even vox dot com doesn't think that's true

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/11/13597452/voter-suppression-clinton-trump-2016

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

I have repeatedly stood by the fact that we could have had a better candidate but why don't you point out this mythical Democratic party rockstar?
lol that you think I don't know her platform when you display on a daily basis how little you paid attention other than through the critical leftist lens

i'm not suggesting you don't know her platform, i'm asking you to name a policy or policies that she campaigned on. you know, the ads for the democrat equivalent of 'build the wall' or 'kill all muslims' that people who only take notice of electoral politics for a few weeks every four years might actually see.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

2017 exmarx posted:

is clinton talking in a 'worldwide context' here, do you think?

of the three states i mentioned, only nc has new restrictions in place. which is why i said that "of those, nc is the only state to have new voter suppression measures in place."

at least try to read

Georgia has had restrictions in place since 2012, hth

I trust the SPLC more than voxxboiis.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Volkerball posted:

If your country is crippled by regulatory capture, nepotism, and corruption, then no, you really can't.

This country exists where? Pretty sure it ain't planet earth

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I disagree because the point of their argument is that people soundly rejected Hillary and Republicans just voted for the R. This deliberately ignores that a solid portion of those 2 million extra votes were his white supremacist base who generally don't vote.
Nazis coming out for the nazi was a 2 million difference in numbers vs ~100k for people who felt Hillary didn't represent them and stayed home or voted third party. Voter suppression and a poor on the ground presence in a few states swung it considerably more than "being a centrist republican running as a Democrat" which is what that person wants to believe.

i don't think the people who weren't inspired by Hillary and didn't vote for her were thinking about it through a strict ideological lens, but they were absolutely a large enough cohort to lose the election for her

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so, in other words, America Is Already Great?

stone cold posted:

trust the SPLC more than voxxboiis.

fair enough, even i can't defend vox with a straight face

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

2017 exmarx posted:

i'm not suggesting you don't know her platform, i'm asking you to name a policy or policies that she campaigned on. you know, the ads for the democrat equivalent of 'build the wall' or 'kill all muslims' that people who only take notice of electoral politics for a few weeks every four years might actually see.

K. Still not sticking the point that she ran as a Republican. And I'm suffering delusion

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Hillary was a non-charismatic candidate that ran more TV ads in Southern California than the rust belt while ignoring local candidates throwing up red flags about how stupid the latter was

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:rolleyes: it's you everything is finers who lost us the election.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

stone cold posted:

Georgia has had restrictions in place since 2012, hth

are these the ones that were struck down in september?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

icantfindaname posted:

so, in other words, America Is Already Great?

They don't call it the Great Satan for nothing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

someone gave me a copy of The World Is Flat for christmas. i'm taking it as a ghost of christmas future style warning of what will happen if i don't reform my ways

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

:rolleyes: it's you everything is finers who lost us the election.

every blue state voter was hosed

and we knew it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

K. Still not sticking the point that she ran as a Republican. And I'm suffering delusion

can you name one or not? it seems like a pretty easy task, to me.

neither i, nor the thing i originally quoted, called her a republican so i'm not sure why you keep throwing that out as a distraction.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

2017 exmarx posted:

are these the ones that were struck down in september?

sure but a. Georgia still blew off like a couple hundred thousand people who registered and b. Brian Kemp cares not for the law

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hillary Clinton was a bad canidate because she surrounded herself with idiots and had awful message control. It wasn't that being a dumpy nerd killed her chances

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's unbelievable that they ran somebody who voted for the invasion of iraq

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

2017 exmarx posted:

it's unbelievable that they ran somebody who voted for the invasion of iraq

sorry your patron saint bernard lost the primaries by a lot, hth

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

stone cold posted:

you're pretty dumb

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Anyone know anything about #BlakMuslimFamily? Saw a couple tweets about it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

stone cold posted:

Sorry your primaries are designed to give you unelectable cretins over someone who would've won handily.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

2017 exmarx posted:

this equates to a 7.7% drop in black turnout in georgia, 5.3% in louisiana, ~5% in north carolina. of those, nc is the only state to have new voter suppression measures in place.

to add to this the hastily implemented voter suppression tactics in nc were a lot less extreme than the ones in place for the 2014 midterm (i.e. voter id)

yet that year the lackluster center right dem senate candidate only lost by ~1.5% and that's with a state dem party in complete disarray and using a media-heavy campaign similar to clinton's

clinton was a singularly bad candidate both personally and in terms of her campaign organization. she lost counties which haven't elected a republican since the 1880s

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Carrie

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Muppets On PCP posted:

she lost counties which haven't elected a republican since the 1880s

this seems like a really weird thing to point out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quiet you. this thread hasn't been about star wars in a while and it's going to stay that way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Volkerball posted:

quiet you. this thread hasn't been about star wars in a while and it's going to stay that way.

Star Wars is good op

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

stone cold posted:

Bernie ran a pretty bad campaign in the primaries, on the whole, but still did much better than anyone expected. I think the lesson progressives need to learn is, start staffing up and getting organized earlier, make sure your message isn't too hyper-focused on economics, and you'll do better.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Volkerball posted:

this seems like a really weird thing to point out.

Why

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

I want this year to die. It's been a mass murderer and needs to get the electric chair.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the prequels tell the story of the election pretty well tbh

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Because the Democrats and Republicans switched ideological platforms in the 60's, so if a county has stuck with one party since long before that, then it's a weird outlier. And there's over 3,000 counties in the US, so you're going to find weird statistical aberrations every election at a county level.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Hollismason posted:

Star Wars is good op

Do not make this thread into a house of lies, Hollismason.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Randler posted:

Do not make this thread into a house of lies, Hollismason.

German-speaker doesn't like thing that is good, fun. News at 11.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Majorian posted:

I think the lesson progressives need to learn is, start staffing up and getting organized earlier, make sure your message isn't too hyper-focused on economics, and you'll do better.

lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Big part of why Sanders lost, OP.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Big part of why Sanders lost, OP.
Maybe the primary. But what about the election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
cool lets have a shrieking primary slapfight itt too, i love it i loving love all the hyperventilating and rending of garments

• Locked thread