Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Gorelab posted:

Honestly I always assumed that like 95% of the Klingon's we see are essentially nobles and that the normal Klingon's just basically did their own thing.

I bet they all pay lip-service to the warrior ethos though, and they'll get flustered if you ask them how the children's shoe store they own contributes to the glory of the empire. They probably all have prepared statements memorized in case any rear end in a top hat son of mogh types start interrogating them and threatening to burn down their store, as is the right of a Klingon born to a noble house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i supply footwear to the future soldiers of the empire! qapla!

edit: all the shoes would have murder spikes of course

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The TOS klingons made a lot more sense as space soviets/russians than the nouveau klingons ever did

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

VectorSigma posted:

i supply footwear to the future soldiers of the empire! qapla!

edit: all the shoes would have murder spikes of course

Also Teen Titans Go! decals and skechers memory foam. You know, for warriors.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Targ and Gragh are apparently quite good. As is bloodwine, getting exported and all. I always assumed Klingon Food only looks like that, and actually tastes normal. Gragh is probably their chicken.

I'm gonna be straight with y'all - I've always wanted to try gaGh. The way it's portrayed, it sounds like steak - there are various grades, you don't want it overdone (= limp), and it's a delicacy but a very straightforward food all things considered.

As for blood wine - don't forget what white & black pudding is made from!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Police Automaton posted:

The TOS klingons made a lot more sense as space soviets/russians than the nouveau klingons ever did

Romulans were supposed to fill the space soviet role in TNG

remember, TNG started in 1987, well before the wall came down

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
With the House system in the Klingon Empire, I wonder if it's mostly just a culture then made up of a relatively large number of powerful elites and essentially the Klingon versions of serfs make up a majority of the rest of the population or something. Sure, you might have a business selling shoes, but it's actually operated under the protection and patronage of the House of Pa'Less.

You might own and run it, hire people to work there, but at the end of the month you're paying tribute to the glorious patron House which in their great wisdom has seen fit to allow you to be a cobbler for the good of the Empire in their name. It's a give and take. They get your valuable work and resource contribution and you get a complicated explanation as to why your work brings glory to the Empire and via the support of your patron House that gives your life the smallest bit of value and meaning in the Empire.

If you want to be your own person and are not totally beholden to one of the Houses, you pretty much have to join the military and hope to live long enough and advance far enough to build up some status that gives you a bit of power. That, or you leave the Empire to try working outside of the purview/patronage of any of the Houses as an independent businessklingon like the Klingon Chef from DS9.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Romulans were supposed to fill the space soviet role in TNG

remember, TNG started in 1987, well before the wall came down

there was an episode where a human who defected came back said the romulans had a very clear idea of right and wrong which appealed to him in his youth

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Romulan and Klingon Empires both seem to have a lot of other races under their control in their territories, but we never really see or hear much about them.

For example, if the Klingon or Romulan Empires had secretly been bolstering up Cardassian domination of Bajor during the latter days of the occupation because they were concerned that Cardassians losing the planet would inspire Klingon-held worlds to similarly attempt revolt against the Empire. To have a great power losing worlds to another great power in a conflict or negotiation is one thing, but to have them lose them out of rebellion and revolution and resistance sets a dangerous example at home even if it does happen to an enemy.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

JediTalentAgent posted:

House of Pa'Less.

The House of Pa'Less brings dishonor to the empire with it's INFERIOR consignment plan.

A TRUE WARRIOR dies in battle clad with boots from the mighty House of Re'bogch.

pomery
Oct 19, 2016

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

The House of Pa'Less brings dishonor to the empire with it's INFERIOR consignment plan.

A TRUE WARRIOR dies in battle clad with boots from the mighty House of Re'bogch.

Just imagine the brand wars that go on
Console wars but klingons? The malls would be strewn with bodies every christmas/black Friday

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

With the House system in the Klingon Empire, I wonder if it's mostly just a culture then made up of a relatively large number of powerful elites and essentially the Klingon versions of serfs make up a majority of the rest of the population or something. Sure, you might have a business selling shoes, but it's actually operated under the protection and patronage of the House of Pa'Less.

You might own and run it, hire people to work there, but at the end of the month you're paying tribute to the glorious patron House which in their great wisdom has seen fit to allow you to be a cobbler for the good of the Empire in their name. It's a give and take. They get your valuable work and resource contribution and you get a complicated explanation as to why your work brings glory to the Empire and via the support of your patron House that gives your life the smallest bit of value and meaning in the Empire.

If you want to be your own person and are not totally beholden to one of the Houses, you pretty much have to join the military and hope to live long enough and advance far enough to build up some status that gives you a bit of power. That, or you leave the Empire to try working outside of the purview/patronage of any of the Houses as an independent businessklingon like the Klingon Chef from DS9.

The brief time Klingons experimented with democracy was called "the dark times".

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I sort of wonder how a Klingon Revolution would look. It's a culture not really scared of making near-constant internal warfare a thing, so it seems like it could happen. But I don't know if Klingons would want something akin to a complete overthrow of the existing political system towards something more progressive or if they could even sustain/support it without a coup, in-fighting, collapse or attack from an outside power.

That might be one reason Klingons are so ready for constant external threats to fight, though. So long as the Empire has an external enemy, no internal discord with system can or will find any support. It's too dangerous, the very idea is traitorous to the good of the Klingon people during a time of conflict. If there is any sort of rumblings from the masses that borders on revolution, that's when you start picking a fight with some other space power to draw support for the existing system of governance and start locking up 'traitors' and 'spies' and 'enemies of the state'.

The unending state of conflict with Romulus is merely a convenient ruse and why there is also such close affinity between certain Klingon Houses and the Romulan Empire. Conflicts and threats between the two occur to specifically keep their respective systems of government unchallenged, or bolster up certain ambitions of politicians on both sides, etc.

:tinfoil:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well he's also a control freak in charge of postwar Vegas. At least he got shot in The Patriot before he could ruin anyone's day.

I didn't recognize Rene as Mr. House until my second playthrough. The first time I sided with House so he was nice to me, but the second time, as soon as he started grumping, that's when I recognized Odo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of wonder how a Klingon Revolution would look. It's a culture not really scared of making near-constant internal warfare a thing, so it seems like it could happen. But I don't know if Klingons would want something akin to a complete overthrow of the existing political system towards something more progressive or if they could even sustain/support it without a coup, in-fighting, collapse or attack from an outside power.

:tinfoil:

Everyone has a Battleth, some Klingons agree with other Klingons. The ones who aren't dead at the end are the winners.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
watched Voyager season 4 finale last night

alcohol was involved - i dozed off at parts, so

huge-headed alien magick-decrypts the message from Starfleet which they'd received through the Hirogen relay system (holy poo poo continuity!)

... which leads them to a Federation super-ship with a transwarp slipstrim super warp drive thingy which can apparently get the whole crew home in a month

naturally they investigate.

***discontinuity*** <-- I dozed off

awoke. Aparently the super-ship is something the huge-headed alien cooked up to capture the voyager crew and send them back to Borg space because his ppl were assimilated by the borg after Voyager intervened in the Borg<->Species 8472 War

**discontinuity**

Janeway & Seven are captured on the super-ship along with Alien dude, who destroys the nav controls

explosions?

Voyager is in ~super transwarp~ behind the super ship, firing photons? :stare:

"their shields are down"

*Janeway & Seven transport out*

*Voyager turns slightly to the right*

*super-ship drops out of super-warp, is immediately surrounded by Borg Ships*

*Gets Assimilated*

"Captains log : our short time in transwarp has knocked a heap of time off our trip home, but we cannae use the drive again because of *reasons*"

* credits roll *

the gently caress did I miss while napping?

also : good job handing a mildly-damaged transwarp-equipped ship over to the Borg?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I don't get what Voyager had against Continuity, even all the other stupid Berman-Fuckups don't explain why there is maybe 3 Episodes a season that form a coherent plot.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I don't get what Voyager had against Continuity, even all the other stupid Berman-Fuckups don't explain why there is maybe 3 Episodes a season that form a coherent plot.

Did the voyager writers/producers just hate DS9? That's the only reason I can think of for VOY's massive hate for continuity in its own story.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Voyager was nearly off the air by the time shows began getting serious about playing with continuity outside of the daytime soap opera. DS9 was kind of ahead of its time, which is why after it's all said and done it ended up being the best of the treks

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't recognize Rene as Mr. House until my second playthrough. The first time I sided with House so he was nice to me, but the second time, as soon as he started grumping, that's when I recognized Odo.

James Sloyan plays a research scientist in an X Files episode, and a friend and I were watching and we knew we recognized him from somewhere but couldn't place him, until the final act when his character turns slightly sinister and callous, then he was instantly recognizable as Odo's dad.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
voyager really tried to pull in the pre-teen market pretty hard eh? I was randomly trying to find episodes and it was either those drat borg kids or that one girl in her fantasy land holodeck thing.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Crosspost from the other, inferior trek thread:

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I'd pay some Argrathi computer janitor to get me some of their mind-prison technology. I'd bring it to Quark, tell him that he's got to know somebody that can modify it to feel good, mass-produce, and market it. Probably a bunch of people with all sorts of crazy poo poo on their faces. In exchange I want one with new scenarios built to my specifications in perpetuity, 10% of all profits gained from it and derived technologies, to be officially, legally recognized as a Ferengi so that the 17th rule of acquisition will apply to me (he knows the nagus, shouldn't be a problem), and to get my face on the cover of Ferengi Entrepreneur magazine's entrepreneur of the decade issue (with tastefully photoshopped lobes). I might end up in mind-prison for espionage a few times, but it would be worth it because I could just set the drat thing to PTSD therapy mode for three real-time days and spend 100 years getting my head straight. It would offer consumers all the positive aspects of The Nexus without having to destroy any pre-industrial civilizations. I mean, unless you programmed it to simulate you getting to destroy countless pre-industrial civilizations. Whatever gets you off, bro. I have it on good authority that Admiral Janeway uses hers for exactly that purpose every night before bed. Also for loving Irishmen.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Free that good poster from the mindprison of a thread they are trapped in.

Wait, make them first declare how much they hate Keiko, then bring them here.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

Free that good poster from the mindprison of a thread they are trapped in.

Wait, make them first declare how much they hate Keiko, then bring them here.

I hate Keiko but I don't really think O'Brien could do any better also I think Rosalind Chao looks pretty good for a 59 year old.

Edit: I changed my mind he should've left her for that hot Cardassian engineer. Keiko could've married some 25 year old Bajoran research assistant, Molly could wear one of those dumb little earrings and everybody would be happier all around.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 27, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I hate Keiko but I don't really think O'Brien could do any better also I think Rosalind Chao looks pretty good for a 59 year old.

That one Cardassian Scientist was pretty okay.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That one Cardassian Scientist was pretty okay.

You beat me to it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

So was Tosk.

The invitation was there. They could have become a bonded pair of Toskes, on the run together, playing the great game, huddling in a pitch black cranny as the lizard-mammal bodily union acts as a peltier chip to throw off the hunter's thermal imaging scans... then finding out they like the feeling...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

So was Tosk.

The invitation was there. They could have become a bonded pair of Toskes, on the run together, playing the great game, huddling in a pitch black cranny as the lizard-mammal bodily union acts as a peltier chip to throw off the hunter's thermal imaging scans... then finding out they like the feeling...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still love Battlestar Galactica for going "gently caress lasers, no-one watching can really tell how much damage they deal" and going for solid shells/bullets in everything.

Seeing Galactica poo poo out tons of ordinance is super cool to watch.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

BSG reboot best show until the end

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

So was Tosk.

Tosk just needed the concepts of law, adjudication, etc. explained to him. If he asked for asylum on earth, even if he got it, he would never really be safe, because The Hunters could still appeal any legal ruling made. It would be the ultimate display of a hunter's wits, defeating his prey in a courtroom. If they won they might very well have shot him the instant the judge rang that fruity little bell that they apparently use in Federation legal proceedings. The Hunters were presumably minor members of The Dominion, too, so prior to the Dominion War he might very well have been extradited back to them in a futile act of attempted appeasement.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Moridin920 posted:

Seeing them establishing a flack barrier against fighters and warheads was legit cool.

I always held the new BSG as going in the exact opposite direction as Voyager, and a prime example of how you can let continuity bury your plot. BSG had no reset button, so everything carried over and by the 3rd season they were already getting bogged down in their plots and stories and painting themselves in a corner. Then the writers said, "Oh gently caress IT! Everyone is a Cylon!" and they didn't even bother trying to make sense of the million of lose ends and plot holes they made.

Somewhere in the middle I think is the sweet spot. Remember what happened, let your characters grow, but not every single line and action from the first episode of season 1 has to dictate what happens in the series finale.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Moridin920 posted:

Ordinance? Like the executive order to begin settling New Caprica? :mmmsmug:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

Seeing them establishing a flack barrier against fighters and warheads was legit cool.

I always held the new BSG as going in the exact opposite direction as Voyager, and a prime example of how you can let continuity bury your plot. BSG had no reset button, so everything carried over and by the 3rd season they were already getting bogged down in their plots and stories and painting themselves in a corner. Then the writers said, "Oh gently caress IT! Everyone is a Cylon!" and they didn't even bother trying to make sense of the million of lose ends and plot holes they made.

Somewhere in the middle I think is the sweet spot. Remember what happened, let your characters grow, but not every single line and action from the first episode of season 1 has to dictate what happens in the series finale.

For me the sweet spot is a little bit after they get away from New Caprica but yeah it varies from person to person obv. The writer's strike kinda boned them iirc :(

It's too bad because the later episodes do have some cool stuff (I like seeing the post New Caprica despair + hidden tribunal killing collaborators stuff, reminds me of Bajorans) but yeah it's largely lost in the "wtf is happening right now she's an angel now???" stuff.

And yeah the flak barrier is super dope, I like the scene where Apollo is trying to chase down some raider and people are like 'Apollo you're flying into Galactica's firing solution you dolt!!!'

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Moridin920 posted:

For me the sweet spot is a little bit after they get away from New Caprica but yeah it varies from person to person obv. The writer's strike kinda boned them iirc :(

It's too bad because the later episodes do have some cool stuff (I like seeing the post New Caprica despair + hidden tribunal killing collaborators stuff, reminds me of Bajorans) but yeah it's largely lost in the "wtf is happening right now she's an angel now???" stuff.

And yeah the flak barrier is super dope, I like the scene where Apollo is trying to chase down some raider and people are like 'Apollo you're flying into Galactica's firing solution you dolt!!!'

My brother and I were really stoked about BSG (he doesn't even like sci-fi generally) and after season 3 we just sort of stopped because they seemed to have forgotten where the show was going and instead started to rely more heavily on inter-character drama that half the time was nonsensical or outright boring.

When I saw JJ Trek's first movie where the USS Kelvin starts using all the little point defence weapons, and the Enterprise being able to use phasers in a manner other than "3 second beam" I was looking forward to a more realistic version of space combat than what TNG trek has started to move towards.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
This has probably been discussed before but Worf is just shaved Chewbacca, right? I mean this literally.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

feelix posted:

This has probably been discussed before but Worf is just shaved Chewbacca, right? I mean this literally.

No his sash is much more elaborate.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Crosspost from the other, inferior trek thread:

generations was stupid because Saurumon picked the worst possible way to get into the Nexus.

Like, why is standing on an exploding planet any better than being on a spaceship or just beaming into space in front of it in a space suit?

It actually seems pretty easy to get caught in the thing.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Fat Shat Sings posted:

generations was stupid because Saurumon picked the worst possible way to get into the Nexus.

Like, why is standing on an exploding planet any better than being on a spaceship or just beaming into space in front of it in a space suit?

I wish Billy Boy had shown up and switch-bladed him before Picard could even beam down. In the end it would be determined that it was just one of the great mysteries of The Nexus, or possibly Q, and Bill Shatner never shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The other issue was that near by inhabited planet, basically they were fighting to save a bunch of off screen pre warp aliens.

I am sure it was a trick they learned making the TV show but for a movie it fell flat, cause the aundience doesn't care about those unseen people.