Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the numbers are different but dota 2 will do this. hell, i've lost like 100 points for a match and gotten 7 for a win in dota

but i guess you said 'successful' and dota 2 ranked is anything but. i do think more transparency in the ranked system would be helpful for people's peace of mind, though.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Casual solo play is great fun, especially when everyone somehow manages to work together perfectly to pull off a flawless hostage extraction without voice or text communication, or when Mute gets 5 kills with a single C4 because the entire enemy team ran in the open front entrance without droning to notice the C4 on top of the door.

Never play ranked in any team based game without a team, though. That's a recipe for being miserable, unless you are aiming for lowest rank.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Thing is, no successful competitive game ranking system under whatsoever any circumstance will give you -120 when you standard game gives you +20. Might as well just change player's point range from +-20 to +-21 for an evening instead of telling them to get a win streak of 6.

League of Legends will put you in a situation where you get 5 points for a win and lose like 27 for a loss which is a similar scale. It only does that if your MMR is far above where it thinks you should be. If you win enough of those 5 point games, it starts balancing out the numbers in the background, but man does it take awhile. People bitch about the +5/-25 heavily there too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the numbers are different but dota 2 will do this. hell, i've lost like 100 points for a match and gotten 7 for a win in dota

but i guess you said 'successful' and dota 2 ranked is anything but. i do think more transparency in the ranked system would be helpful for people's peace of mind, though.
drat, it used to be better about this a couple years back when I played it. Speaking of Dota 2 ranked system, by the way - it does, or at the very least used to, increase uncertainty in players' skill levels on unexpected match outcomes.

Zaodai posted:

League of Legends will put you in a situation where you get 5 points for a win and lose like 27 for a loss which is a similar scale. It only does that if your MMR is far above where it thinks you should be. If you win enough of those 5 point games, it starts balancing out the numbers in the background, but man does it take awhile. People bitch about the +5/-25 heavily there too.
My bad then, I can hardly call League anything but a successful game. Haven't played much of it myself, so most I know about it's ranked is the ELO hell memes, popular a few years back.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Rocket League had some pretty silly win streak requirements to maintain rank as you climbed up. They chhanged it up a bit though. Its also probably the best competitive game that is active right now but teams range from 1v1 to 3v3 so its not like its hard to pull a PUG at any given moment and the only people that get mad in that game are so generally toxic that theu can't even find one other nerd to play doubles with.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The game just told me a mac 11 did 77 damage with one bullet.

????!!??

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The game just told me a mac 11 did 77 damage with one bullet.

????!!??

Headshot on a guy with 77 health?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Is the top listed bullet the first or last? Also then I'm going to whine my beard shield didn't shatter on my screen but latency is bonkers in this game and my shooting never happens in kill cams

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Is it just me or is the matchmaking getting increasingly unstable? Tons of matchmaking errors over the last week.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

Never play ranked in any team based game without a team, though. That's a recipe for being miserable, unless you are aiming for lowest rank.

I solo queued my way to global in csgo and it was a lot of fun, I highly recommend it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Vatek posted:

Is it just me or is the matchmaking getting increasingly unstable? Tons of matchmaking errors over the last week.

Yeah I've been getting the same, definitely feels abnormally high.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
How to get 4k points ty I want my disco ball.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Do laps around House and place barricades on every door and use your team mates drones to spot every guy all the time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Ranked has more rounds to get points in. Getting kills is the best way

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Play ranked, it's first to 5.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
But that means playing ranked. Managed to get it just now though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Wait, what's this about? If you score 4k points in a game you get a disco ball bobble for your gun or something?

That means I would have missed that by 200 points on a couple of occasions last night due to being a horrible shitter. :negative:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Vatek posted:

Yeah, I've been getting the one where I error out as soon as I'm on a team and it tries to connect to a match.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Zaodai posted:

Wait, what's this about? If you score 4k points in a game you get a disco ball bobble for your gun or something?

That means I would have missed that by 200 points on a couple of occasions last night due to being a horrible shitter. :negative:

You have to activate it in the challenge tab first.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hard posted:

You have to activate it in the challenge tab first.

Did it just get added in the last day or so? I didn't see it when I was adding the various christmas challenges.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Zaodai posted:

Did it just get added in the last day or so? I didn't see it when I was adding the various christmas challenges.

Every Tuesday.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Is there a ps4 group?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think the 4k points as mvp challenge doesn't check if you're mvp. I got 5k as last place and today the challenge is completed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's just called MVP, being MVP isn't part of the challenge.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Apparently if you're at the back of the parking lot on the northeast side of side Bartlett, it doesn't count as being outside, because we just had an enemy Rook do it and no warning showed up. :thumbsup:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Apparently if you're at the back of the parking lot on the northeast side of side Bartlett, it doesn't count as being outside, because we just had an enemy Rook do it and no warning showed up. :thumbsup:

Near the kitchen side?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm surprised how close most of the casual games I've been playing have been recently. Win or loss, there have been very few one sided stomps, and even those are usually just like a 10% skill difference. Then last night I ran into a team of level 140+ guys, and we got like two kills off them in three rounds total. And those were just because I droned them, and as soon as I spotted them I exited the drone and sprayed the door they were behind while they were shooting my drone. It was amazing just how outclassed we all were, they just swarmed us like piranha, even on defense half of us would be dead before we could even get to the building. It wasn't even that infuriating (except for one weird rubber-banding related death), it was more comical than anything. It was like we were fighting the heroes of an action movie.

I've also learned that I do not like the Japan map. I thought Boat was a topsy-turvy confusing clusterfuck, but Japan puts it to shame. Plus sound carries super oddly in that map, so it's hard for me to get a bearing on where people are, and it seems like there are blind openings everywhere.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Japan was the first map i learned and the one i know best. I guess everyone has a map that doesn't click with them. I'm terrible at dock.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Japanese map is a lot easier to get to grasps with once you realize it's basically two buildings that are joined together, the restaurant with karaoke and tea room above it, and the house with office and museum above it. Flanking between the two can be powerful.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Jehde posted:

The Japanese map is a lot easier to get to grasps with once you realize it's basically two buildings that are joined together, the restaurant with karaoke and tea room above it, and the house with office and museum above it. Flanking between the two can be powerful.

I'll try and keep that in mind. It doesn't help that I've only gotten to play it like twice, so it is mostly foreign to me. It just doesn't click in my mind. Barlett, the Favelas, and Border have all been easier for me to learn than Japan.

As an aside, I've forgotten where most of the cameras are on the old maps (and need to learn them on the new maps). Is there a recommended resource for learning those cameras beyond just going in to custom games and hunting them?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I can navigate Bartlet well but I couldn't call out anything on that map

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Favelas and skyscraper are the same map but one has much better objective placements

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

But Ubisoft hasn't made an actual skyscraper map for Siege yet???

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Jehde posted:

But Ubisoft hasn't made an actual skyscraper map for Siege yet???

They're saving it for when they add Bruce Willis and Reginald VelJohnson as operators. It'll be the Nakatomi Plaza map.

[EDIT] I would unironically buy a Die Hard DLC pack. John McClane as defender, Carl from Family Matters as attacker, and Nakatomi Plaza as the map. It would print money.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Zaodai posted:

They're saving it for when they add Bruce Willis and Reginald VelJohnson as operators. It'll be the Nakatomi Plaza map.

[EDIT] I would unironically buy a Die Hard DLC pack. John McClane as defender, Carl from Family Matters as attacker, and Nakatomi Plaza as the map. It would print money.

You can't have Die Hard DLC without angry Austrian Karl as a defender.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Vatek posted:

You can't have Die Hard DLC without angry Austrian Karl as a defender.

IWANTBLOOOD!

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

I don't want neutral, I WANT DEAD!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i ran into a tachanka yesterday that seemed to have a samurai-themed helmet, but i can't find it anywhere. has anyone else seen this?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i ran into a tachanka yesterday that seemed to have a samurai-themed helmet, but i can't find it anywhere. has anyone else seen this?

I know there's a bundle of Samurai themed hats in the in game shop. The Bushido Blitz Bundle or something like that? Can't remember if Tachanka is one of the two, but one of the heavy guys is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zaodai posted:

I know there's a bundle of Samurai themed hats in the in game shop. The Bushido Blitz Bundle or something like that? Can't remember if Tachanka is one of the two, but one of the heavy guys is.
Blitz and Montagne.

• Locked thread