Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Adiabatic posted:

dude honestly I didn't know Peter Cushing had died and the new Tarkin was CGI. I thought dude had just aged super well. As a viewer unaware that Tarkin was CGI I feel like they did a great job.

Yeah, Cushing has been dead since 1994. CGI is getting there but isn't quite there yet - we saw it yesterday in a low-rent theater and my wife couldn't tell he was CGI until I pointed it out - although the projection was dim so it might have been a different story in an upscale theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adiabatic posted:

dude honestly I didn't know Peter Cushing had died and the new Tarkin was CGI. I thought dude had just aged super well. As a viewer unaware that Tarkin was CGI I feel like they did a great job.

It was immediately obvious to me and very distracting. Almost levels of Tron distracting

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This isn't a thing that exists on Black and Chrome and I've no idea how it'd work without recutting the film anyway.

Doom is fantastic and Titanfall 2 is also a wonderful single player campaign which everyone should take a shot on. It's short enough to leave you wanting more. One particular mission has such a great mechanic in it :allears:

I enjoyed Titanfall and the Titanfall 2 multiplayer demo/beta. Looking forward to the single-player campaign. Got some other poo poo to play first, though.

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah, I thought it very well done, but did catch a little of a video-game feel, likely because I play them so much. It was done over a live actor with similar facial structure, and it was the actor's voice. There's a video on youtube about it. They also did it for Red Leader and Gold Leader, and of course, Leia.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Honestly, the reflection of his face in the glass is the only time I could really tell he was CGI.

For me, it was some of the mouth movements. They're tough to do realistically, particularly with a lot of wrinkles.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Tarkin was voiced by the actor standing in for Cushing. Apparently his impression of Cushing is that good.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Nodoze posted:

I did glance at that but I'll have to comb through it again. What mount are you using?

I've got a Celestron Advanced GT that's been "hypertuned" to take the lash out and make it super precise. I mainly use it for visual stuff with an Orion 8" Newtonian but I've got the means to hook up the DSLR to it and also the means to connect the DSLR directly to the mount. The best market for serious telescope poo poo (and where I found my mount) is Cloudy Nights.

Do you want to do planetary and lunar poo poo or DSO poo poo? While the mount stays the same (at the beginning), you'll need different equipment for each. It's all about magnification and optical diameter for solar system shots, and it's all about light capture, therefore time, therefore mount tracking precision for DSOs and other faint stuff. Polar alignments are crucial to DSO and long-exposure imaging. Autoguiders help with this immensely, but they'll cost as much as a mount or a good optic will.

If you're just doing planetary/lunar poo poo get a 6" or 8" Newtonian to start and a cheap mount. People generally take videos and frame stack using post-processing.

Oh yeah, post-processing. There's a shitload of it. Get a good frame stacker program and learn how to use it, then you can start playing with filters to bring out the details.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Mad Max game is like a fiver in the Steam sale. Yes/no?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
gently caress you 2016. Carrie Fisher is gone.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

And there goes Carrie Fisher too

e:fb

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Don't do coke, kids.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Every year's just the worst... gently caress you, 1997, you took James Stewart from us! Oh what a lovely year 1980 was, to lose John Lennon! People die all the time you loving babies.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

Yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

Every year's just the worst... gently caress you, 1997, you took James Stewart from us! Oh what a lovely year 1980 was, to lose John Lennon! People die all the time you loving babies.

Meh, its not entirely off kilter, we're seeing an entire generation disappear. Are new ones going to replace them? Sure. But I think most people are just taking this hit considering how dark the US will be for the next 4 years...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok.

CommieGIR posted:

Meh, its not entirely off kilter, we're seeing an entire generation disappear. Are new ones going to replace them? Sure. But I think most people are just taking this hit considering how dark the US will be for the next 4 years...
I can't decide if it's just the focus on it that's making it seem that way, but it does seem like this year has seen a larger list of people I recognise or like copping it.

The fact that a large number of them are younger than your parents doesn't exactly make you overly cheerful, either.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
People die, it sucks, yeah, but what I've never understood is the obsession with "celebs" in the first place. Maybe it's because I work somewhere that prints tabloids and its caused a complete disinterest in the lives of people I don't know. I'm not saddened that she's dead, but I'm not glad she is either. My condolences to her family, but she wasn't someone I knew personally.

What happened was the result of her own choices in life. If anything, she got more time than she would have if she hadn't cleaned up and if the world wants something to talk about, it should be to celebrate a life that overcame addiction and made it to othe other side of 50 when so many others have not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Jesus christ my wife had to report her (female) coworker for making comments about stuff like "i should go on a mass shooting spree" to her at work. last week she said something similar and she's been reading about serial murderers at work too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

People die, it sucks, yeah, but what I've never understood is the obsession with "celebs" in the first place. Maybe it's because I work somewhere that prints tabloids and its caused a complete disinterest in the lives of people I don't know. I'm not saddened that she's dead, but I'm not glad she is either. My condolences to her family, but she wasn't someone I knew personally.

What happened was the result of her own choices in life. If anything, she got more time than she would have if she hadn't cleaned up and if the world wants something to talk about, it should be to celebrate a life that overcame addiction and made it to othe other side of 50 when so many others have not.

Well okay: We also lost Vera Rubin, the scientist who confirmed dark matter. Edgar Mitchel, Apollo 14 Astronaut, Piers Sellers Astronaut and Climatologist, John Glenn

http://www.tributes.com/celebrity/deaths/Scientists

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
And yet you leave out Tomlinson, who's invention is something you likely use and rely on every day.

E: If we're going with science and tech deaths, the last one that truly affected me was DMR, but then again, I'd actually met him.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edgy as gently caress.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Honestly all these celebs dying off is sad but at the same time it signals that our Boomer curse is soon to be ended

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

And yet you leave out Tomlinson, who's invention is something you likely use and rely on every day.

E: If we're going with science and tech deaths, the last one that truly affected me was DMR, but then again, I'd actually met him.

poo poo, I forgot about him :(

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Honestly all these celebs dying off is sad but at the same time it signals that our Boomer curse is soon to be ended

To be replaced with a newer, younger generation of poo poo heads.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lol the "greatest generation" isn't even gone yet. Boomers haven't fully kicked the ladder down yet

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Previa_fun posted:

To be replaced with a newer, younger generation of poo poo heads.

Don't worry, one day they will be replaced with a newer, younger generation of CGI.

E: Don't forget, some boomers are only midway through their 50s. So it will still be another decade before they retire and corporations find out that yeah, maybe it wasn't a great idea to require entry level positions to have 15 years of in-field experience, thus cutting out our entire generation from decent jobs and leaving the world with two generations of college grads that have no in-field experience to replace the retirees.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 27, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BraveUlysses posted:

Lol the "greatest generation" isn't even gone yet. Boomers haven't fully kicked the ladder down yet

At least the greatest generation knew how to loving party.

Cocaine wine, baby!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Blah, gently caress Christmas. The last 3-4 of them have really blown rear end.
Went down to my brothers place, it was alright Christmas Eve, but Xmas day went to loving poo poo.
Wife's back is out, so she's been in a foul mood. Not much food in the house that fits what we've been trying to eat (aka meat and veg, not many carbs, and she's not a fan of fish) so she got super-hungry and cranky - any other day, easy fix, I'd go buy something, but nothing was open on the 25th (for obvious reasons). So she had a bit of a meltdown. My niece (23) then had an argument with her mother about why they can somehow handle my younger niece's super-picky vegetarian eating, but couldn't accommodate my wife's eating requirements. She stormed away from the table.

At this point I'm trying to wog down the disgusting sandwich loaf (french Canadian "tradition", was loving vile, and I like everything that was in it separately). Ended up scavenging enough veggies to make the wife a salad so she at least had some food. Proceeded to get blisteringly drunk, on an empty stomach. We weren't going to leave until today (the 27th), but left Boxing day at about 10 am because I was going to start saying poo poo I'd regret.

Drove through freezing rain and horrible idiotic drivers - trip took 2 hours longer than it should have. I'm loving sick of holidays and bullshit.

Bah hambug, rant over.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yes.

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress you 2016. Carrie Fisher is gone.

Oh, for gently caress's sake. Just had to get that one in, did you, 2016?

There is that. I think the impact is mainly that a lot of the folks dying were people that we listened to on the radio or watched in movies as kids/young adults. At least, that's me, at 47. You young kids (get off my lawn) wouldn't know what I was talking about. :corsair:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

I've got a Celestron Advanced GT that's been "hypertuned" to take the lash out and make it super precise. I mainly use it for visual stuff with an Orion 8" Newtonian but I've got the means to hook up the DSLR to it and also the means to connect the DSLR directly to the mount. The best market for serious telescope poo poo (and where I found my mount) is Cloudy Nights.

Do you want to do planetary and lunar poo poo or DSO poo poo? While the mount stays the same (at the beginning), you'll need different equipment for each. It's all about magnification and optical diameter for solar system shots, and it's all about light capture, therefore time, therefore mount tracking precision for DSOs and other faint stuff. Polar alignments are crucial to DSO and long-exposure imaging. Autoguiders help with this immensely, but they'll cost as much as a mount or a good optic will.

If you're just doing planetary/lunar poo poo get a 6" or 8" Newtonian to start and a cheap mount. People generally take videos and frame stack using post-processing.

Oh yeah, post-processing. There's a shitload of it. Get a good frame stacker program and learn how to use it, then you can start playing with filters to bring out the details.

The moon and planets to start with. I think anything else and I'd need to really step into huge money

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Siochain posted:

Blah, gently caress Christmas. The last 3-4 of them have really blown rear end.
Went down to my brothers place, it was alright Christmas Eve, but Xmas day went to loving poo poo.
Wife's back is out, so she's been in a foul mood. Not much food in the house that fits what we've been trying to eat (aka meat and veg, not many carbs, and she's not a fan of fish) so she got super-hungry and cranky - any other day, easy fix, I'd go buy something, but nothing was open on the 25th (for obvious reasons). So she had a bit of a meltdown. My niece (23) then had an argument with her mother about why they can somehow handle my younger niece's super-picky vegetarian eating, but couldn't accommodate my wife's eating requirements. She stormed away from the table.

At this point I'm trying to wog down the disgusting sandwich loaf (french Canadian "tradition", was loving vile, and I like everything that was in it separately). Ended up scavenging enough veggies to make the wife a salad so she at least had some food. Proceeded to get blisteringly drunk, on an empty stomach. We weren't going to leave until today (the 27th), but left Boxing day at about 10 am because I was going to start saying poo poo I'd regret.

Drove through freezing rain and horrible idiotic drivers - trip took 2 hours longer than it should have. I'm loving sick of holidays and bullshit.

Bah hambug, rant over.

Honestly? In that case I would either just give up on the restriction (if it's just general health, and not, say, "eat that and die") for the day, or bring my own food ("The doc says I need to eat x and y, and I didn't want to put you guys out.") I mean, yeah, it's kind of lovely that they accommodate one and not the other, but I prefer to short-circuit the issue. Looks like mainly you just had a confluence of crap that would have been minor by itself, but all rolled up made a sizable turd.
Lucky for me, my family os only about 45 minutes away, so we go for most of the day on Christmas day, and that's it. I mean, we generally don't have issues, but if the need arises, I can bug out.

Other than that? Well, try Christmas by yourself, or go on a mini-vacation? I don't know. I have a huge family on my side, so it's always a bit of a party.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Siochain posted:

Not much food in the house that fits what we've been trying to eat (aka meat and veg, not many carbs, and she's not a fan of fish) My niece (23) then had an argument with her mother about why they can somehow handle my younger niece's super-picky vegetarian eating, but couldn't accommodate my wife's eating requirements. She stormed away from the table.

No meat seems way less picky than all of the stuff your wife wants.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Darchangel posted:

Honestly? In that case I would either just give up on the restriction (if it's just general health, and not, say, "eat that and die") for the day, or bring my own food ("The doc says I need to eat x and y, and I didn't want to put you guys out.") I mean, yeah, it's kind of lovely that they accommodate one and not the other, but I prefer to short-circuit the issue. Looks like mainly you just had a confluence of crap that would have been minor by itself, but all rolled up made a sizable turd.
Lucky for me, my family os only about 45 minutes away, so we go for most of the day on Christmas day, and that's it. I mean, we generally don't have issues, but if the need arises, I can bug out.

Other than that? Well, try Christmas by yourself, or go on a mini-vacation? I don't know. I have a huge family on my side, so it's always a bit of a party.

Yeah, wasn't anything huge, just a cascade of poo poo. Next time we'll just pre-shop and bring some food - its just an annoyance when they insist food is covered, and yes, there is food, but most of it is going to gently caress her guts up - not dying dead, but just "not feeling great", which is where we're at now. 6 hour drive to their place (8 yesterday to get home due to fuckwits on the highway), so its not quite as easy. Had a grocery store been open I would have been fine grabbing something, but, well, the literal worst day for that :P

Biodome posted:

No meat seems way less picky than all of the stuff your wife wants.

Yes, since keeping some chicken/turkey sandwich meat around and a few misc. veggies (carrots, celery, lettuce, etc.) is loving hard to do. Get hosed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Siochain posted:

Yeah, wasn't anything huge, just a cascade of poo poo. Next time we'll just pre-shop and bring some food - its just an annoyance when they insist food is covered, and yes, there is food, but most of it is going to gently caress her guts up - not dying dead, but just "not feeling great", which is where we're at now. 6 hour drive to their place (8 yesterday to get home due to fuckwits on the highway), so its not quite as easy. Had a grocery store been open I would have been fine grabbing something, but, well, the literal worst day for that :P

Right on. I eat pretty much anything, but uncured pork and raw onions do a number on my wife, pretty much the same effect you describe. That's not so hard to avoid. Avoiding carbs is tough. It seems like everything has pasta, bread, or rice in it. Or corn, or potatoes... (I'm trying to cut back a little because diabeetus. Also, I'm fat.)
You can always leave the spare food in the car until you're sure it's needed, I guess.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I always bring my own food in a shared food situation.

1. They'll never get it right.
2. Nobody really wants to hear about your diet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have crohn's and certain food just fucks me up, not that I don't want to eat it, I just don't want to feel like I have a giant knife turning in my stomach.

Cole slaw is one of my favorite things to eat but even sniffing it gives me stabbing pains these days :smith:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Right on. I eat pretty much anything, but uncured pork and raw onions do a number on my wife, pretty much the same effect you describe. That's not so hard to avoid. Avoiding carbs is tough. It seems like everything has pasta, bread, or rice in it. Or corn, or potatoes... (I'm trying to cut back a little because diabeetus. Also, I'm fat.)
You can always leave the spare food in the car until you're sure it's needed, I guess.

Yeah, I mean, some carbs are fine, but too many and she's in bad shape. Its not a fancy thing to work around - gently caress, we'll cook, just don't say "oh, food is covered" when its not :/

More annoyed than anything.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
All the carbs, give them to me.

I will eat them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

All the carbs, give them to me.

I will eat them.

gently caress, me to :P I love'em. Trying to eat less of them, as I have been feeling better with less poo poo in my diet. But, I just love food in general.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I easily consume 4000 calories a day, mostly in carbs.

I'm 6'3" and 220lbs, and on Christmas Eve I put size 34 pants on for the first time in several years, having lost about 35lbs since getting my promotion.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Siochain posted:

just don't say "oh, food is covered" when its not :/

A friend of mine did that when we went up to glacier for two days to bike and hike. I'm like, "you sure there's nothing I can bring?" -no, just snacks for yourself and beer or whatever. They said they had burgers and hotdogs, which I thought was a little odd given they are vegan, but figured they were being considerate of the other people going. Nope, vegan "burgers," and then like no utensils or cooking/cleaning/camp supplies. Thankfully it was only one night of camping.and someone shared their beef jerky with me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

InitialDave posted:

Why haven't you bought it already?

It's goood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Siochain posted:

Yeah, I mean, some carbs are fine, but too many and she's in bad shape. Its not a fancy thing to work around - gently caress, we'll cook, just don't say "oh, food is covered" when its not :/

We're they aware of.your wife's stringent dietary requirements before hand?

• Locked thread