Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

~Coxy posted:

vim users would love that.

I doubt vim users are capable of love or liking anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

gently caress you dude, I love my spreadsheets

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Thunderbolt Display is a dock. Charging, USB, Ethernet, etc. anything else is just an external monitor.
Ah I getcha. It's one cable into the MacBook and it's an iMac. That's cool but I think she'll be happier with a dell ultra sharp 24" second monitor that can go vertical for working with spreadsheets. Way cheaper too.

I guess no dock or maybe just a simple stand for the laptop that can hold the mag safe and mDP cable in place for easy access.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I recently got a macbook with the 1440p display, but I'm a bit annoyed with how osx implements scaling-- tells programs the that res is the 'looks like' one unless they use a specific api call or something. Chrome does this, so when I'm looking at just images in it (open in new tab) or remoting in to my other computers it scales the viewport accordingly, which is rather annoying. I have setresx and it works well enough (though I need to mess with font sizes and the like) but for some reason there is no 1080p display mode. it goes from a little below qhd down to the top 'native' scale of 1440x900 which means there is a huge gap where the 'sweet spot' for me lies. Does anyone know where osx stores these display mode parameters? I'd just used windows, but my favorite text/latex editor is osx only plus I get better battery life on osx.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I've started getting some artifacting on my mid-2014 15" rMBP, and wondering whether it's time to take it into the Apple Store to see if there might be something wrong with it: http://imgur.com/a/YABuw

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

So I've started getting some artifacting on my mid-2014 15" rMBP, and wondering whether it's time to take it into the Apple Store to see if there might be something wrong with it: http://imgur.com/a/YABuw
Absolutely. That's the kind of stuff that has me needing a 4th logic board and 3rd LCD assembly on my 2013 rMBP and Apple's just gonna replace it as soon as they have a new one for me.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is feedback on the new rmbp keyboard kind of inconsistent? Just brought one home, and half the time the a key doesn't register even though I'm clearly getting a click out of it, and sometimes I get two a's out of it, almost seems like on key press and on key release. I also can't replicate it on demand, so I'm hesitant to rush to the store with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Does anyone know where osx stores these display mode parameters? I'd just used windows, but my favorite text/latex editor is osx only plus I get better battery life on osx.
Check out this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scale-1680x1050-on-rmb-without-an-app.1873910/

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

You're awesome. Now to figure out wtf encoding they are using for that :psyduck: Are they seriously using ascii or something like that?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Absolutely. That's the kind of stuff that has me needing a 4th logic board and 3rd LCD assembly on my 2013 rMBP and Apple's just gonna replace it as soon as they have a new one for me.

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of, but I'd done the Hardware Diagnostic test and it hadn't found any issues, so wasn't sure if I was missing something or not. Guess it's time to schedule an appointment to take it in...

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for a thin-as-possible neoprene-ish case for 13" and 15" rMBPs?

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD8AF48/

It's a little big by a very small amount (if you're looking closely and nitpicking). It more perfectly fits the 2015 13" model, which is about a single centimeter longer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for a thin-as-possible neoprene-ish case for 13" and 15" rMBPs?

Booq Mamba

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

uwaeve posted:

Is feedback on the new rmbp keyboard kind of inconsistent? Just brought one home, and half the time the a key doesn't register even though I'm clearly getting a click out of it, and sometimes I get two a's out of it, almost seems like on key press and on key release. I also can't replicate it on demand, so I'm hesitant to rush to the store with it.
If the machine is brand new then take it in now before you get really settled in to it; most likely they'll give you a new machine rather than doing a repair on one less than a month old.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

uwaeve posted:

No. My 2016 15" MBP does nothing like this and I type on it all day long. Sounds like you got a dud.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

You're awesome. Now to figure out wtf encoding they are using for that :psyduck: Are they seriously using ascii or something like that?

OS X macOS and most Mac applications use a system framework (shared library) for serializing CoreFoundation dictionaries (the standard in-memory key/value data structure in OS X) to and from ".plist" (property list) files. One of the supported formats for a plist file is XML. What you're seeing there is a snippet of a XML .plist.

These days most plists in a macOS installation are likely to be in the binary format; Apple created and standardized on this a few years ago because it uses fewer bytes on disk and has far less parse overhead than XML. However, you can change a plist from binary to XML (or vice versa) without the application knowing any better, because the library fully insulates the caller from file I/O and encoding. Look at the "plutil" command if you're interested in converting between formats and some other stuff. If you install the developer tools (Xcode) from the App Store, IIRC you should also get a graphical plist editor.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, I know its XML-- i meant the actual 'data' like AAACFAAAFRAAAA or whatever. I figured it was encoding binary into some text, which is what i meant by encoding, but I dont know if its utf, ASCII, or something else entirely since it seems to be only using the english alphabet, numbers, and punctuation-- no other letters or any of the system characters

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

it's probably base64

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I tried that but it didnt really give anything I could interpret :/ (assuming I was doing it correctly that is)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

https://comsysto.github.io/Display-Override-PropertyList-File-Parser-and-Generator-with-HiDPI-Support-For-Scaled-Resolutions/

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

My gen 5 AirPort Extreme somehow lost power during firmware update and bricked. Brought it into the fruit stand and that was the verdict. It had lost power randomly before but I thought the cats loosened the plug. Maybe it was on its way out. Regardless does anyone know of a way I can try to recover it? They claimed it wasn't possible, but I guess it's worth asking.

On the bright side I've been trying to decide whether to replace my 2011 15" MbP with the new model or the last one. After playing with both side by side in the store the new touch bar, screen, weight (or lack of), keyboard and touch pad all absolutely do it for me. A gorgeous machine. Definitely going with the new one.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Perfect-- I got it all figured out :) -- Replace the ints with the appropriate values. If it's a HiDPI res (quartered and scaled) then you add 'AAAABACAAAA==' on the end, replacing the =. That might be for external displays or something, though
code:
A      A       A       K       A      A        A       A       B      a       A        =
000000 00|0000 0000|00 001010| 000000 00||0000 0000|00 000000| 000001 01|1010 0000||00 000000
    2^x 1st Digits       2152  163184 21||    2^x 1st Digits        1 52 1631 8421||
|1Byte   |2Byte    |3Byte    |4Byte     ||1Byte    |2Byte    |3Byte     |4Byte    ||Base64 Pad
|32Bits -- Resolution Width             ||32Bits -- Resolution Height             ||Base64 Pad
The ones on my macbook seem a tad different, though, since all of the bytes are used up by the encoding, so it might be done differently. But this is a good start!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

clamiam45 posted:

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD8AF48/

It's a little big by a very small amount (if you're looking closely and nitpicking). It more perfectly fits the 2015 13" model, which is about a single centimeter longer.

I got the 15" version of that for a 2015 model and I wasn't impressed by the fit on that size. Could easily slide around in the case.

On the other hand, when I went to return it, Amazon just said "keep it" so at that price it's workable.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

smackfu posted:

I got the 15" version of that for a 2015 model and I wasn't impressed by the fit on that size. Could easily slide around in the case.

On the other hand, when I went to return it, Amazon just said "keep it" so at that price it's workable.

That's where I am on this product too. Good material, medium fit, outstanding price.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The image of someone whipping a $2000 macbook out of their dogshit $7 foam sleeve that doesn't even fit right is pretty amusing. I mean you gotta save somewhere I guess?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

The image of someone whipping a $2000 macbook out of their dogshit $7 foam sleeve that doesn't even fit right is pretty amusing. I mean you gotta save somewhere I guess?

On the other hand this his highway robbery:

And really, no true Apple user would be caught dead with their MacBook Pro in nothing less than a $170 Waterfield bag.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It sounds like neither of you guys hang out at state universities you see poo poo cases all the time along with the equivalent of laptop tramp stamps..

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
At least a lovely sleeve makes them more inconspicuous.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I use an Amazon Basics backpack too because it's cheap, light, and comfortable. :)

Is there a better laptop sleeve material than foam for weight and shock absorption?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I use a 99 cent duct taped bubble shipping envelope that was used to ship an Amazon package. It's lasted two years so far and fits perfectly. Seems absolutely ridiculous to spend any amount of money on these things.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

On the other hand this his highway robbery:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/8BdkZ7A.png[/timg

And really, no true Apple user would be caught dead with their MacBook Pro in nothing less than a $170 Waterfield bag.
:ironicat:
I put my $2300 mbp into a $200 incase backpack. The backpack owns. It's much much better than a sleeve. I got it for free though when apple took two extra weeks to replace my iPhone 6s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I'm a big fan of Timbuk2 and Herschel- for all that they may seem contrived here. Really thick foam, zippered sleeves, hard wearing fabric, and soft cushy liners to protect the finish.

I've also sworn by Timbuk2 backpacks, messenger bags, and camera bags for their integrated laptop sleeves since 2007.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm a big fan of Timbuk2 and Herschel- for all that they may seem contrived here. Really thick foam, zippered sleeves, hard wearing fabric, and soft cushy liners to protect the finish.

I've also sworn by Timbuk2 backpacks, messenger bags, and camera bags for their integrated laptop sleeves since 2007.

I just got my first Timbuk2 backpack (had messenger bags previously). I really like how the laptop sleeve is sewn in higher so it never sits on the ground.

Before that I used a minimal bag from CargoWorks that was great as long as you didn't need to carry a whole lot of stuff around.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

clamiam45 posted:

I use an Amazon Basics backpack too because it's cheap, light, and comfortable. :)

Is there a better laptop sleeve material than foam for weight and shock absorption?

I've got the camera version with a laptop sleeve and it's been back and forth over the Atlantic a bunch of times holding way, way more than you're supposed to carry on. Really good backpack for the money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

f laptop tramp stamps..

Is that was those are called?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
What's wrong with stickers? :(

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I've never seen a sticker on a laptop that I liked. Well once I saw someone in a coffee shop with an ODB album cover sticker to hide up the apple logo, that came pretty close to being likeable, but not quite.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

So I just got my iMac, but the fans are running! This shouldn't be happening right? I am not sure that they're running full-tilt, but they're pretty audible.

I did reset the SMC, but that has not changed the fans at all. Any other suggestions? I am talking with the people who sold me the computer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mine is silent.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

nitsuga posted:

So I just got my iMac, but the fans are running! This shouldn't be happening right? I am not sure that they're running full-tilt, but they're pretty audible.

I did reset the SMC, but that has not changed the fans at all. Any other suggestions? I am talking with the people who sold me the computer.
Did someone change the hard drive or modify it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Housh posted:

Did someone change the hard drive or modify it?

That's what I'm wondering. I've watched some SSD swap videos, so I know about those sensors. I bought this as a "refurb" with a 30-day warranty, so I would rather not pop it open right off the bat here.

Is there any way to check without opening it? A utility or anything?