Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Elblanco posted:

Doesn't wizards usually take a holiday break at the end of the year as well?

All US Hasbro offices are closed from Christmas eve until the day after New Years every year
(except for Customer Service, obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Dehtraen posted:

I can tell the difference in languages outside of the different versions of Chinese, I just can't remember what I snagged off the top of my head in the movie theater line for Rogue One outside of the ones i specifically mentioned. I was really pumped about the Conflagrate (especially since the English copies are in the glass display priced individually instead of in bulk), Hooting Mandrills playset, and the almost playset of Reality Acid. I need to go back when I have more time and pick through the rest. I really want to find some more SoI checklist cards preferably in Russian. There seemed to be a ton of planar chaos, oddly enough... I passed through a bunch of Rathi Trappers.
Well if it helps there wasn't Traditional Chinese printed from 2003 to M11.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hellsau posted:

I understand that they want to limit the number of concurrent matches from spiking too high. Limiting the capacity of the league does not solve that. If a league is full and someone wants to play, they'll just go into the single queues, which will start a draft and another set of matches.

Unless the hope is that if the leagues are full people just won't play MTGO, which if true would explain a lot about MTGO and its devs.

I don't know if you're purposefully being dense here or what, but I didn't mention limiting concurrent player matches.

Let's assume through a bug or malicious attack players are joining leagues infinitely. Infinite is bad. Finite is good. Ergo you have finite caps and allocations of resources.

The match servers are almost definitely different than the league server, too, so concurrent users isn't a league specific issue.

Whether or not their reasoning and numbers are good ideas requires way more access to information than we have.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The Packers and the Lions are guaranteed playoff spots if they tie but otherwise the loser will miss the playoffs.

I wonder if they considered writing "ID" on their match slips and handing them to Roger Goodell. I mean, c'mon guys, its the smart play!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Angry Grimace posted:

The Packers and the Lions are guaranteed playoff spots if they tie but otherwise the loser will miss the playoffs.

I wonder if they considered writing "ID" on their match slips and handing them to Roger Goodell. I mean, c'mon guys, its the smart play!
NY already won their win-and-in, so they could also just scoop their division buddies Washington right in. If those other two teams don't ID.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Boco_T posted:

NY already won their win-and-in, so they could also just scoop their division buddies Washington right in. If those other two teams don't ID.

Just think of all the equity!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Dallas should have scooped Detroit in they already had the play regardless.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Well that hits a lot of relevant things.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:swoon:

Now THAT is a common I can get behind. Hot drat!

I think that might be the best threaten variant at 3cmc, right?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm more a fan of Harness by Force, on account of it has replicate. Close second, though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

That isn't new...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

In my defense I have yet to play any Kaladesh limited.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

The Shortest Path posted:

SkySovereign wins LOL

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think it was posted because someone was mad that a joke was posted that was only tangentially related to Magic (despite the fact it wasn't like anyone was posting basically anything anyways).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Because WoTC isn't publishing any articles this week there's nothing to get mad and angrily message Rosewater on tumblr about, a process known as a Mad Phase. Normally every day WoTC does something and we get mad at it then we get mad at people getting mad (Mad Phase 2 or Post-content Mad Phase). Getting mad at the absence of things at which to get mad only lasts one Mad Phase. We're having to pass Mad Phases without doing anything, which is a total feelbad move.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I wouldn't classify people as "mad" so much as "alt-happy".

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because WoTC isn't publishing any articles this week there's nothing to get mad and angrily message Rosewater on tumblr about, a process known as a Mad Phase. Normally every day WoTC does something and we get mad at it then we get mad at people getting mad (Mad Phase 2 or Post-content Mad Phase). Getting mad at the absence of things at which to get mad only lasts one Mad Phase. We're having to pass Mad Phases without doing anything, which is a total feelbad move.

lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

:swoon:

Now THAT is a common I can get behind. Hot drat!

I think that might be the best threaten variant at 3cmc, right?

yea but most decks don't really want a threaten effect at all. even the aggro decks in kaladesh have better finishers with vehicles and modules

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

I wouldn't classify people as "mad" so much as "alt-happy".

That was changed in the 6th edition rules update. They also changed Mad Sources to regular posts.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That was changed in the 6th edition rules update. They also changed Mad Sources to regular posts.

Oh yeah, that was back when we could madpost on the Official Wizards Forums. That was before Wizards realized that nobody reads or posts on forums anymore. Instead, we all use trusted official channels such as Tumblr and Reddit. This is way better for a number of reasons such as

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

How I tell Asian language cards apart and how everyone should: have at least some knowledge of Asian languages.

Like lol I'm that dirty kind of Americanized Chinese that can only fluently speak Shanghaihua and can barely read or write any Chinese but Chinese and Japanese and Korean are very distinct from each other and it's obvious when you're looking at Taiwanese cards because Traditional Chinese is way more stroke-dense. I mean you can make an argument for Japanese cards using Chinese characters but Hiragana is way less stroke-dense than any Chinese characters and are a majority of the characters on Japanese cards, also Magic cards use Furigana (the little Hiragana characters over the Chinese characters that tell you the correct way to read them in Japanese language that real Japanese text wouldn't use because Magic is after all a game for young children).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

:shrug: All my cards are in Russian.*

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Packed Aetherworks Marvel and Chrome Mox from my christmas packs. :getin:

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Ultima66 posted:

How I tell Asian language cards apart and how everyone should: have at least some knowledge of Asian languages.

Like lol I'm that dirty kind of Americanized Chinese that can only fluently speak Shanghaihua and can barely read or write any Chinese but Chinese and Japanese and Korean are very distinct from each other and it's obvious when you're looking at Taiwanese cards because Traditional Chinese is way more stroke-dense. I mean you can make an argument for Japanese cards using Chinese characters but Hiragana is way less stroke-dense than any Chinese characters and are a majority of the characters on Japanese cards, also Magic cards use Furigana (the little Hiragana characters over the Chinese characters that tell you the correct way to read them in Japanese language that real Japanese text wouldn't use because Magic is after all a game for young children).

source your quotes

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

So be born an Asian person raised in an Asian family

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Ultima66 posted:

this post made me racist

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

Can confirm this one little trick works.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Chill la Chill posted:

Can confirm this one little trick works.

MaRo hates it!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk if its universally true because wotc fucks with the typefaces of their non-english product at intervals I don't really care about, but the Chinese simplified cards have punctuation at the bottom of the line while traditional has them vertically centered

also all the frontier card face poo poo has the language printed on them anyways so

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Angry Grimace posted:

Or spend, like, an afternoon learning the basics of Chinese (and another 30 seconds to look at Korean and Japanese writing to memorize that difference).

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Yeah, at least with Korean the difference from Japanese and Chinese is incredibly obvious, so learning how the latter two differ shouldn't take much work.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm a dorky white kid from Wyoming and I know the difference between Japanese, Chinese, and Korean text.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I just use english cards because I play in the US and I'm not an rear end in a top hat

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
"I can tell the difference between Asian written languages on my Magic: The Gathering car-- hey why are you walking away"

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Literally spend like 5 minutes comparing the cards with pictures on wikipedia? Like I could tell the difference between Russian and Finnish just from incidentally seeing them in my life it's just really not very difficult

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GeneX posted:

I just use english cards because I play in the US and I'm not an rear end in a top hat

The only non-english card I have is a playset of Lord of Atlantis because I assumed everyone knew what that card did.

I was wrong and switched back to the English ones.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Sheesh, people.

Traditional Chinese has the punctuation in the center of the line. Simplified has it at the bottom.

You're Welcome

edit: I can't read.

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk if its universally true because wotc fucks with the typefaces of their non-english product at intervals I don't really care about, but the Chinese simplified cards have punctuation at the bottom of the line while traditional has them vertically centered

also all the frontier card face poo poo has the language printed on them anyways so

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 28, 2016

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Foreign-language cards are a goofy aesthetic affectation akin to wearing a dragon t-shirt or playing Blue Tron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dragon enthusiast posted:

I pulled a Japanese M14 Chandra and a Japanese M15 Chandra, and the font they used is completely different for both. I figured by that point, WotC would have had their non-English poo poo standardized but apparently not.

• Locked thread