Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

ineptmule posted:

I bought some GW Agrellan Badlands to get a cracked desert texture on my army's bases. My first two test bases it's dried just kind of grainy, like sandy paint. I've tried a third and put it on waaaay thicker, and will check on it in the morning, but does anyone have any tips for this stuff? Currently it doesn't look at all how I expected. There appears only to be YouTube vids available for the finer textures (and older) Agrellan Earth, which is much more of a liquid, I'm just struggling to see how this texture of stuff is ever going to dry right.

I bought like five pots so I guess I'm still gonna use it even if I can't get it to work right.

In addition to what's already been said, try putting down a first layer of some slightly darker paint on the base, then a layer of pva glue, then the agrellan on top of the dry glue. Your cracking will become much more dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

In addition to what's already been said, try putting down a first layer of some slightly darker paint on the base, then a layer of pva glue, then the agrellan on top of the dry glue. Your cracking will become much more dramatic.

I'll have to try this. I find if you don't at least prime, your dramatic cracks will just fall off actually.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I found out the hard way that Acrylic Texture Paste will also make your cracks deeper. Unfortunately, you need to color the texture paste first, otherwise the cracks come out white in the bottom. :(

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

ineptmule posted:

I bought some GW Agrellan Badlands to get a cracked desert texture on my army's bases. My first two test bases it's dried just kind of grainy, like sandy paint. I've tried a third and put it on waaaay thicker, and will check on it in the morning, but does anyone have any tips for this stuff? Currently it doesn't look at all how I expected. There appears only to be YouTube vids available for the finer textures (and older) Agrellan Earth, which is much more of a liquid, I'm just struggling to see how this texture of stuff is ever going to dry right.

I bought like five pots so I guess I'm still gonna use it even if I can't get it to work right.

It's been said already but my experience with that Agrellan Earth has been a real need to absolutely glob it on, not just a thick coat but actually a loaded brush pressed onto the base rather than brushed so you get almost piles of it. These will make the bigger flakes.

The other question that springs to mind is that are you leaving it to dry somewhere cold? I use artist paste for my bases to break up the flat surface but as I am banished to paint in the little summer house at the end of the garden I have found that it took about a week to harden. I wonder if the cracking is dependent on a fairly quick drying time and needs to be put somewhere warm.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Cheers for the feedback on the crackle paint everyone.

This is on top of a primed mini's base with two coats of a dark red-brown primer laid down before putting the texture on (as I expected the cracks to reveal what's beneath.)

I'll try the PVA layer although three coats before putting on the texture sounds like a huge pain in the arse when I have probably a hundred plus minis, and their movement trays, to base.

I'll experiment a little more but if I can't get a consistent crackle I'll just have to accept the dusty/grainy look. It's pretty cool as it is.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I don't even use a brush with Martian Ironearth, I use an old popsicle stick to just glop it on right out of the can. A sculpting tool with one of those slim dull knife bits is convenient for spreading it into more narrow spots like around boots.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Might try that too. Just to be clear, this is not Agrellan Earth which appears to be much more of a liquidy kind of paint, but the newer, supposedly larger cracks and thicker Agrellan Badland. The texture out of the pot is just like very sandy paint, very little liquidity to it at all. (Might mean using a spreading tool like you describe even better.)

Edit: Update, as I know you will all be :f5: like crazy - the thicker applied stuff has got some definite cracks in it and looks quite like what I hoped for, although the surface of the crackled flakes is still quite rough. Using a spreader might help get the surface smoother before leaving it to dry.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 26, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

These are the results I got from the new Martian Ironcrust with a ~2 mm thick layer (dried to 1mm). Didn't notice any difference between drying it under a lamp and just at room temperature.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That looks quite a lot like my latest result. I was hoping for the top surface to be a little smoother and will try spreading it more carefully.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
A quick drybrushing and some wash inside the cracks tends to make them stand out a bit more as well.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah just a slight drybrush makes the texture on those pop so much better. For the 'rusty Martian outback' look I recommend Troll Slayer Orange.

Also, if you have both Martian Ironearth and Martian Ironcrust available, you should try a patchwork of both. First glop big patches of Ironcrust, let that dry, and then dab Ironearth over the non-coated areas. Patches of rough raised earth mixed in with flatter cracked areas.

Also somebody mentioned it earlier but you should probably paint the area under Ironearth with a darker brown color, especially if you prime your bases white or gray. Otherwise you'll end up with the white peeking from the cracks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah a bright orange drybrush really helps, but that tip about using the other texture paint to fill in seems like a protip, will have to try that later.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Are there any quick cheat ways to paint black armour for space marines?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Are there any quick cheat ways to paint black armour for space marines?

Super cheap block-painting way: prime black, drybrush dark grey on edges, then medium grey, then light grey. Use black wash over area, possibly twice if you want a really dark look to it.

The fancier method to above uses edge highlighting, which isn't quick but it looks better.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you want a quick pure black look that still lets detail show, a flat black prime followed by a metallic silver drybrush is my lazy go-to for weapons.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Prime black, base coat black, fine edge highlight vmc black grey, wash black wash.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
AFAIK if you're using the new crackle texture paint uniformly it's gonna be pretty smooth. Vary it with a few thicker bits and those should produce more cracks.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Succumb to the superiority of Vallejo textures.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, they are incredibly cheaper. You don't get a crackle texture from Vallejo (that I know of) but it's easy to go to a Michael's and buy some Liquitex. About the only time I'd recommend the GW versions would be if you only need a little bit of it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Slimnoid posted:

Super cheap block-painting way: prime black, drybrush dark grey on edges, then medium grey, then light grey. Use black wash over area, possibly twice if you want a really dark look to it.

The fancier method to above uses edge highlighting, which isn't quick but it looks better.

Thanks! I'm probably just gonna do the drybrush/wash twice technique. I'm going to be using gold for most of the details anyway, I'm painting Black Legion chaos marines, but just drybrushing something like this should be enough to just pick out the highlights.

Edge highlighting probably would look better, but I'm really bad at super fine brushwork like that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Vallejo Black Lava :love:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I bought some deep discount Sigmarines from a local comic shop liquidating their Warham stock. I want to paint them like ancient stone statues. What are some things I could do as a novice to simulate weathering on stone and to make painted parts look faded and washed away? Any good product for making them look mossy?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I bought some deep discount Sigmarines from a local comic shop liquidating their Warham stock. I want to paint them like ancient stone statues. What are some things I could do as a novice to simulate weathering on stone and to make painted parts look faded and washed away? Any good product for making them look mossy?

For the porous stone texture you can simply sand the surfaces with a gritty sandpaper (don't go overboard), which will show up well after a wash. For moss you can get green flock material from any hobby store, put glue on the area you want to moss, and apply. I'm not sure on fade and eashed but I imagine some muted/grey washes could help.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

mango sentinel posted:

I'm not an expert but model railway guides will have stuff on how to paint realistic looking weathered stone.

As for Moss, they sell hobby moss which you stick on with some white hobby glue. I think it's usually actual moss so it has a very realistic look out of the box. My one tip would be to use it sparingly!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Also, two easier questions:
For any of you guys using base inserts, where do you like to go? I'm looking for some cobblestone streets.

Second, where do you like to go for head bits? I'm looking for knight helmets for those sigmarines, though skulls may be nice too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

mango sentinel posted:

Also, two easier questions:
For any of you guys using base inserts, where do you like to go? I'm looking for some cobblestone streets.

I used to use Secret Weapon Miniatures stuff. I still like them, and I still have a bunch to use, but I found something much less expensive. https://www.deathraydesigns.com is a laser-cut mdf terrain outfit, but they also do acrylic. A stroke of genius imo was to make base inserts out of laser-cut acrylic, as they are incredibly inexpensive. I was even able to ask over email for them to cut the base inserts slightly large to accommodate mdf disc bases, and to cut me up some mdf to fit, so I'd have perfectly round bases instead of just base inserts. And they did it pretty cheap, too.

Here's an example of mine:

And here's an example off the store:

For a pricing example, those curved flagstone bases? 15 dollars gets you

48x 30mm base inserts
15x 40mm base inserts
10x 50mm base inserts

Resin base inserts are minimum like 60 cents EACH

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Wow, everything on that site looks brilliant. Thanks.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Practicing with NMM. I was using the Vallejo NMM kit. Clearly, I still need a hell of a lot of practice.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think your NMM looks pretty good there dude

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Not bad, man. Better than I could do.

Practice is going to be useful anyway, but you at least have the basics down. I will say it looks like you should probably thin your paints a little, as at least the kneepads look a bit chunky, and you could definitely work on smoothing out the transitions. However, I could tell what you were trying to do even before I scrolled down to see that you were practicing, so mission accomplished?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
After being afraid to paint some stuff for a long time I've buckled down and am refusing to let perfect be the enemy of good. It is very difficult.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

mango sentinel posted:

After being afraid to paint some stuff for a long time I've buckled down and am refusing to let perfect be the enemy of good. It is very difficult.

Better than my problem letting sloppy be the enemy of table ready

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

mango sentinel posted:

I have a similar problem when I paint. Learning to compromise between a finished model done as well as I can manage, and a finished army I can look at in the cabinet or on the table and be happy with isn't as easy as it sounds.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

JackMann posted:

Practicing with NMM. I was using the Vallejo NMM kit. Clearly, I still need a hell of a lot of practice.
I think this looks pretty good. It feels like if anything, this is one of those cases where shooting it with proper lighting and a good backdrop would make a mile of a difference.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Never let this hold you back, especially when you're only paint with acrylic. All the layers of acrylic and oil paint in the world can still be stripped without damaging the model.

Have you made any progress on your blue tau dudes? I loved the shade you picked and think they would look amazing with some drybrush highlighting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I have a similar problem when I paint. Learning to compromise between a finished model done as well as I can manage, and a finished army I can look at in the cabinet or on the table and be happy with isn't as easy as it sounds.
I learned to make peace with this via leaving a model alone once the inspiration for it is gone. This is much easier if you're only doing models one by one for skirmish games though. It results in a mishmash of designs but I like it. Specifically works in my case due to the models being space fighters but any skirmish game that prizes individuality would do.

I've started painting my infinity guys and I'm also doing them one by one. I'm actually amazed at how many people paint their infinity teams like uniform warhammer armies since they're all individual operatives at the top of their fields.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Everytime this comes up I end up writing some form of this rant, I think the last time was in the death thread or the botw thread:

GW and most other mainstream miniatures companies have greatly poisoned the idea of painting miniatures by going about teaching people the wrong ways. If you want good, TTQ miniatures then the kind of ultra technique focused high end tutorials pimped by basically every minis company that sells paints is the exact opposite of what you want. It's like deciding you want to paint a mural of Mickey Mouse in your kids bedroom and starting by taking a high level art class about impressionist water color technique. It's not just putting a cart before the horse, it's putting the entire NYC subway system, plus like three roadblocks and a police checkpoint.

You want to learn how to paint TTQ well, here's the important poo poo:

Brush Control:
Honestly this isn't as important as you may imagine, there's a lot of ways to get around sloppy paint applications but it helps a ton.

Color choice, tone and coherency:
Ok this is honestly the single most important thing ever when it comes to painting and the fact that NO ONE EVER MENTIONS IT RELATING TO MINIATURES is loving stupid and dumb. For this example we're going to use two great paintings that will serve our purposes well: Rembrant's The Night Watch and Rockwell's Southern Justice. Both of these are great works and share a really important element that helps carry over to miniatures: they have a very unified tone. All the colors in most of them shade to the same color (dark brown in each) . The Rockwell is more dramatic and the Rembrandt is more subdued but they both do this. This creates a very subtle but vastly important element within all the figures in the paintings: it makes them look like they belong near each other. Even though the figures in the Night Watch are wearing very different colors of clothing (black, brown, cream, blue, etc) they still maintain a subtle level of cohesion and fit together because the overall effect of shading everything to the same dark brown makes things look like they are lit by the same light source (which is dramatically played in the Rockwell as well). The other thing it does is draw your eyes to the bright elements of the painting that differ from the established tone. In the Night Watch it's the leader of the party, the man in cream who almost seems to be lit by an angelic glow emphasizing his importance. We don't need any context to know that he is without a doubt the leader of this party. In the Rockwell the element is the blood, which is itself drawn in a completely different almost startlingly realistic art style, making the painting itself look like blood has been splashed onto it, stretching the fourth wall between the subjects of the art and the people viewing it. This comes around when painting miniatures because so many times I see people who are competent painters choose color selections that clash horribly with each other and shade to not just completely different colors but completely different areas of the color wheel. You can generally assume you can get away with one color per mini that doesn't fit into your color theme, but you have to remember that whatever becomes that color is now the focal point or at least will draw attention. If you painted a figure in, lets say: ochre pants, a red shirt, black shoes, and accessories and belts in a darker brown leather then you'd be shading everything to a deep brown (or using a wash to get the same effect). You could then paint the feather in his hat, or his armband, or something of that nature a bright blue or green, which will add a nice pop of color.

Don't use too many colors:
I don't care if it's not realistic for all of your figures leather gear to be the same color, limited color choice reduces the amount of business your figure will have and how busy your figure can be is directly related to how good of a painter your are and if you're taking my advice you aren't there yet. But seriously, limit your colors, and make sure they go together, color wheels are your friend (but you can totally shade blue and green with dark brown, that's a thing!).

Washes, inks, dips, etc:
Like, seriously, this is how you should paint, the results are killer, especially if you choose your colors right. The only thing you have to do every time is make sure to USE MATTE VARNISH. Dipping without Matte looks like rear end, dipping with it looks amazing. Same with inks, same with washes, they all save time and will help you a lot. The most important part of these, honestly, is that they will help establish a division between the different parts of your mini, if you're not good at lining (IE leaving small amounts of darker color between larger areas of color) this will help break up big color swaths on your minis. But in all seriousness if you choose colors well and apply them decently, base coat -> dip -> base coat -> matte varnish will carry you far.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Neurolimal posted:

Never let this hold you back, especially when you're only paint with acrylic. All the layers of acrylic and oil paint in the world can still be stripped without damaging the model.

Have you made any progress on your blue tau dudes? I loved the shade you picked and think they would look amazing with some drybrush highlighting.

I got the darker ones stripped and basic armor painted but burned out because I found assembly line painting boring, then started assembling Malifaux stuff, and stopped painting for a few weeks. Currently I'm working on a single Space Marine from the kill team box and a Reaper drider. I'm really happy with how the spider bit came out but the torso is not so great and I'm a little messy on the Spess Marine. Once I finish those two I'll go back and finish up the Tau.

I'm real scared of dry brushing because every time I try instead of bringing it edges it just hits an entire surface. Dunno if it's brush selection or what I'm doing wrong.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I got the darker ones stripped and basic armor painted but burned out because I found assembly line painting boring, then started assembling Malifaux stuff, and stopped painting for a few weeks. Currently I'm working on a single Space Marine from the kill team box and a Reaper drider. I'm really happy with how the spider bit came out but the torso is not so great and I'm a little messy on the Spess Marine. Once I finish those two I'll go back and finish up the Tau.

I'm real scared of dry brushing because every time I try instead of bringing it edges it just hits an entire surface. Dunno if it's brush selection or what I'm doing wrong.

Yeah, assembly painting is super efficient for coherent armies, but I feel like it wipes out any character from the models and turns it into a slog. When I have identical pieces to work on I'l prime and basecoat them together, but beyond that I'l take my time on individuals.

Are you making sure to get all the paint off the brush? Ideally you use a flat brush, load the brush with paint (dont use any thinner in the paint), spend a minute or two with a dry tissue wiping off as much paint as you can (at the end you should have what just looks like a tinted brush), then you just keep flicking it over edges and corners so that specks of embedded paint catch on them.

The mini should also be dry, and if any gets somewhere you dont like don't be afraid to wipe it off; without any thinner it shouldn't leave much streaking after a few wipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This comes around when painting miniatures because so many times I see people who are competent painters choose color selections that clash horribly with each other and shade to not just completely different colors but completely different areas of the color wheel. You can generally assume you can get away with one color per mini that doesn't fit into your color theme, but you have to remember that whatever becomes that color is now the focal point or at least will draw attention.
[...]
Don't use too many colors:
I don't care if it's not realistic for all of your figures leather gear to be the same color, limited color choice reduces the amount of business your figure will have and how busy your figure can be is directly related to how good of a painter your are and if you're taking my advice you aren't there yet. But seriously, limit your colors, and make sure they go together, color wheels are your friend (but you can totally shade blue and green with dark brown, that's a thing!).
See this whole rant is cool and good and filled with good advice. But wrt this portion: OTOH you can just say gently caress it and have all sorts of colors to make the eyes bleed.

These are my latest ships on my custom X wing mat.

Older ship, but imagine I took a pic with this monstrosity included for more raw eye searing action.