Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Voyager had been lost in the Gamma Quadrant, the series would have lasted a single episode, with a Jem'Hadar warship sniping Voyager the moment it got thrown across the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I enjoyed BSG to the very end. I didn't finish the last few episodes. It just had Not Jesus and some others sitting in a goddamn apartment and I looked at the episode list and saw I was at the end and I genuinely wondered in that moment if they just ran out of money and ad-libbed that finale. I'll never know because i never finished it.

All Along The Watchtower being a secret song of universal truth or whatever is the dumbest poo poo i've ever seen, but the show recovered and became pretty good again until that finale.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I thought it was kinda cool watching Saul go nuts trying to figure out where the hell that drat music was coming from

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

If Voyager had been lost in the Gamma Quadrant, the series would have lasted a single episode, with a Jem'Hadar warship sniping Voyager the moment it got thrown across the galaxy.

It might be a problem until Torres manages to re-direct the warp matrix into the EPS conduits, generating a asymmetrical warp field that can stream tachyons outwards.

How would this help?

Well good thing Seven also re-configured the astrometrics antenna array with borg technology to convert verteron particles into an energi.....

Voyager wins basically.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nigmaetcetera posted:

You beat me to it.

shadow puppet of a posted:

So was Tosk.

The invitation was there. They could have become a bonded pair of Toskes, on the run together, playing the great game, huddling in a pitch black cranny as the lizard-mammal bodily union acts as a peltier chip to throw off the hunter's thermal imaging scans... then finding out they like the feeling...

He could have totally run off with the Major as well. That episode of those two desperately trying to not gently caress was one of the better character episodes for both of them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

basic hitler posted:

I enjoyed BSG to the very end. I didn't finish the last few episodes. It just had Not Jesus and some others sitting in a goddamn apartment and I looked at the episode list and saw I was at the end and I genuinely wondered in that moment if they just ran out of money and ad-libbed that finale. I'll never know because i never finished it.

All Along The Watchtower being a secret song of universal truth or whatever is the dumbest poo poo i've ever seen, but the show recovered and became pretty good again until that finale.

I never watched BSG, but every time I read some new revelation about the show, I think it can't get any dumber than this.

And now this. That show can't get any dumber than this, can it?!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He could have totally run off with the Major as well. That episode of those two desperately trying to not gently caress was one of the better character episodes for both of them.

Naw, there was never any real risk of them running off together, just banging eachother in a painfully beautiful moment of tragic, beautiful, romantic weakness. A 9 1/2 weeks type scenario would've been the absolute farthest things would go. God, now I want to see it. To be fair though I'd like to watch almost any two people have sex.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I never watched BSG, but every time I read some new revelation about the show, I think it can't get any dumber than this.

you should watch it if you have netflix. There's some really good TV in there, but it's a show that always had a sword dangling over its head waiting to cut it off so you get some bizarre season finales and the series finale is a huge letdown but the ride to it is solid.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Colm Meaney not on the list of people I'd like to see naked

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nigmaetcetera posted:

To be fair though I'd like to watch almost any two people have sex.

Mullibok and Vic Fontaine?

Cassidy Yates and First Omet'iklan?

George Primmin and The Grand Negus?

You sick gently caress.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You know about Starbuck coming back as an angel a few episodes after her ship visibly crashes and explodes?

naem
May 29, 2011

That one Cardassian Scientist was pretty okay.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Quark's ex was cute.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

BSG took Trek's autistic aversion to spirituality and did the exact opposite. You have robots who believe in Jewish God, humans in space colonies referencinf the greek/roman pantheon, Dr. Not Bashir at one point starts a harem cult that sounds suspiciously christian except for damaged women. Its kinda refreshing if only because i really hate how averse sci-fi can be to that stuff

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

basic hitler posted:

Oh wow, so you didn't even see the montage of dancing Japanese robots.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Silly me. Silly, silly me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Powered Descent posted:

Oh wow, so you didn't even see the montage of dancing Japanese robots.

What?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Miles O'Brien's wet dream right here.

EDIT: Mods please rename me to "Miles O'Brien's Spoon Love"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh-no -i]no[/i], context is required for that little gem. You want to know, you gotta see the series finale :munch:.

That one Cardassian Scientist was pretty okay.

You guys do know you can see her sans-makeup in Babylon 5, right? She played Captain Lochley in season 5.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

basic hitler posted:

BSG took Trek's autistic aversion to spirituality and did the exact opposite. You have robots who believe in Jewish God, humans in space colonies referencinf the greek/roman pantheon, Dr. Not Bashir at one point starts a harem cult that sounds suspiciously christian except for damaged women. Its kinda refreshing if only because i really hate how averse sci-fi can be to that stuff

It was refreshing up until it went precisely nowhere with any of that religious poo poo and now I don't want to see or hear a whiff of gods or godlike entities in my sci fi unless some rear end in a top hat starship captain happens along to talk them into destroying themselves

I mean I know there was a writer's strike at the time but slapping "god did it" onto your plot holes and dead end storylines was unsatisfying as gently caress, especially after 4 years of "...and they (the writers) have a plan"

Star Trek did a lot of dumb poo poo over the years but a relatively hard line against religious crap that gets a pass everywhere else is something I'd miss from a new series

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thats the thing though it doesnt get a pass anywhere else. Unless it's some vaguely humanist or Buddhist/Taoist view of the world to sell tickets in Asia it's just an embarassing topic to most shows and that sucks because theres a lot you can do with it in a sci fi setting. Trek's devout borderline spectral adherence to atheism sucks hard and makes that pah wraith poo poo in ds9 even more irritating in how its handled.

I just want a sci fi show that handles spirituality like The Leftovers does. I want the BSG or trek that's season one of The Leftovers except in space. Something really loving tragic and just get real weird with it imk

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

basic hitler posted:

Thats the thing though it doesnt get a pass anywhere else. Unless it's some vaguely humanist or Buddhist/Taoist view of the world to sell tickets in Asia it's just an embarassing topic to most shows and that sucks because theres a lot you can do with it in a sci fi setting. Trek's devout borderline spectral adherence to atheism sucks hard and makes that pah wraith poo poo in ds9 even more irritating in how its handled.

I just want a sci fi show that handles spirituality like The Leftovers does. I want the BSG or trek that's season one of The Leftovers except in space. Something really loving tragic and just get real weird with it imk

I mean you've just described Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Been watching some TNG lately

1.) Hi I'm Samuel WOOT HA HUH Clemens HOO WAH I say now boy HOOO

2.) Is it ever explained what's up with the jars of blue and red goop in sick bay

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Emerson Cod posted:

I mean you've just described Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica.

Sorta but that's too light hearted. Fleeing from Murderous robots in the face of an extinction-level apocalyptic genocide on mankind is dark but it's portrayed almost as a challenging space adventure.

The leftovers in space is like voyager, but the warp corse is busted, and navigation is shot, and they've just been moving at sub-warp impulse speeds in a random direction for a year and despair has fully set in, and Q is malevolent, not a trickster, and people keep disappearing and dying horrifically.

Kind of like Event Horizon meets BSG i guess.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

angerbeet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

and because this thread needs some loving class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgQidVzdneE

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

angerbeet posted:

2.) Is it ever explained what's up with the jars of blue and red goop in sick bay

Goop desk toys were real popular in the 90s. I had some of the ones like they used for background med lab props on Babylon 5.

If they were in McCoy's sickbay I'd say he was brewing up some bathtub romulan ale

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Every time I hear about Mark Twain, I instantly think about this video.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

angerbeet posted:

They need a ready supply of high-quality lubes on hand to keep up with Rikers voracious appetite for sandy space-vag.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That episode is great is you pretend it's an amazing troll on every time travel story ever. What if we went back in time and met Mark Twain? Awesome, that can work. What if he were an insane crackpot who grunted, groaned, and barked randomly? Now we're talking!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

angerbeet posted:

It's never explicitly explained but if you're looking for an in-universe explanation, you could make an argument that at least one of them is bio-mimetic gel.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They need a ready supply of high-quality lubes on hand to keep up with Rikers voracious appetite for sandy space-vag.

That was only for the Pulaski season.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Shab posted:

It's never explicitly explained but if you're looking for an in-universe explanation, you could make an argument that at least one of them is bio-mimetic gel.

It's just jars of that stuff barbers keep combs in. It's just hipster Federation doctors acknowledging how barbers/doctors used to share the profession.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You guys linking the TNG Edit videos should do yourselves a favour and watch the insanity that is the Fair Use Parody series.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Arcsquad12 posted:

You guys linking the TNG Edit videos should do yourselves a favour and watch the insanity that is the Fair Use Parody series.

O'Brien laughing after Keiko's fall off the promenade was gold.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 28, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm most of the way through a re-watch. The show is good and worth watching.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I have to admit; Year of Hell is pretty good for the most part but there's a glaring plot hole in Part 2; There's a good hundred-odd days unaccounted for of Voyager making allies to go up against the Timeship, you would think one of their new friends would've offered to help fix Voyager even a little instead of leaving it hosed to hell.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's a good show that's worth watching at least once. Goons poo poo all over it now because of 1) the flawed final season and 2) the overt religious themes and plot points in the last season that goons claim were unexpected, even though the show made no attempt to hide them in the previous seasons.

Just watch it without any expectations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

basic hitler posted:

Star Trek's aversion to religion can be weird, antiseptic, and a little creepy but watching BSG felt at times like wandering into some high level Mormon cult meeting complete with after-party orgy. It was creepy as gently caress and off putting. The lack of a good payoff on any of it made it all the worse.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a good show that's worth watching at least once. Goons poo poo all over it now because of 1) the flawed final season and 2) the overt religious themes and plot points in the last season that goons claim were unexpected, even though the show made no attempt to hide them in the previous seasons.

Just watch it without any expectations.

This is lazy and dumb and wrong. It's not that there were religious themes. You can have religious themes without having a dozen glaring plotholes and ending your story with 'cause god did it the end'

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
If "God did it. Destiny is real. All of this has happened before" was a shock then lol .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It was the show that killed a baby in the first episode for funsies. In retrospect I think we should have realized then that the show was going to be stupid.