Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

So like any sensible person, I've been watching Mark Brown's Developer's Toolkit series, and it's making me crazy for Mario games. I own no Nintendo consoles, and the last Mario game I played was Galaxy 1. I just remember having a big, uncontrollable smile on my face as I was playing it. What's happened since then? It's been like...what, 8-10 years? From what I can tell, some of the releases in the last few years haven't been so hot. Is that right?

I think every "main" Mario title has been great since then. I'm not including paper mario or the mario parties (though some of them are amazing too), I'm just talking about Galaxy 2, NSMB Wii and NSMB Wii U, 3d Land on the 3DS and 3dWorld on the Wii U.

However, if you're a "hardcore gamer" your mileage may vary. All 3D marios (including the Galaxy ones) feel significantly less difficult than their 2D counterparts, maybe to compensate for the fact that controlling Mario in a 3D environment is inevitably not as precise. The endgame of Galaxy 2, 3D World and 3D Land can still get pretty brutal, but you can't compare it to the NSMB's titles hardest stars imo. If you just play them for fun and you don't feel the need to grab all the stars to unlock the harder levels then I'd say the 3D titles are the most revolutionary in gameplay. It's close though. I'm currently playing Rayman Legends and while it deserves all the praise it got it's just not as good. I don't know how Nintendo does it but the Mario titles always feel super good to play regardless of how punishing they are.

EDIT: Galaxy 2 is widely considered one of the best videogames ever released. It's also among the longest Mario titles to complete, with a perfect difficulty curve too.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Minus1Minus1 posted:

So like any sensible person, I've been watching Mark Brown's Developer's Toolkit series, and it's making me crazy for Mario games. I own no Nintendo consoles, and the last Mario game I played was Galaxy 1. I just remember having a big, uncontrollable smile on my face as I was playing it. What's happened since then? It's been like...what, 8-10 years? From what I can tell, some of the releases in the last few years haven't been so hot. Is that right?

Galaxy 2 was good but it didn't have a hub world which knocked it down a few pegs for me. There haven't been any 64/Sunshine/Galaxy-style games since then; 3D World and 3D Land had the 3D movement but they were both very linear.and typically had fixed cameras. The 2D ones have all been well made with high production values, as you'd expect, but with very little variation. You can play any of them and have a good experience but after the second or third in a row I started to feel burnt out. Hopefully the Switch version will bring back some exploration gameplay?

There's also Super Mario Maker, game of the year all years. Just don't go anywhere near the garbage 3DS version.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

NRVNQSR posted:

The 2D ones have all been well made with high production values, as you'd expect, but with very little variation. You can play any of them and have a good experience but after the second or third in a row I started to feel burnt out.

Yeah the NSMB titles are there if you need a challenge but they are most definitely not casual friendly and will burn you out if you play them one after the other. They feel very classic.

Still the best 2D platformers currently on the market aside from Maker.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kawabata posted:

Yeah the NSMB titles are there if you need a challenge but they are most definitely not casual friendly and will burn you out if you play them one after the other. They feel very classic.

Still the best 2D platformers currently on the market aside from Maker.

I guarantee you that all Super Mario games, New or otherwise, are casual friendly

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I'm hearing buy a WiiU for Galaxy 2, NSMB Wii and WiiU, 3D World, and Mario Maker. Did I hear that right, thread?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

buy it for those as well as the many other great games that are on wii u

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I'm hearing buy a WiiU for Galaxy 2, NSMB Wii and WiiU, 3D World, and Mario Maker. Did I hear that right, thread?

I'll say this: I got probated for 6 hours about 2 weeks ago for shitposting that the Wii U was a crappy dead system. In an unexpected turn of events, I received it for Christmas. I can now say the Wii U has the best single player/local multiplayer games of this generation by a mile. I'm just astonished. It's also Wii backwards compatible (the Switch won't be) so if you missed the best Wii games you're set. Nintendo games never age.

Buy a Wii U, it's a very smart thing to do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guarantee you that all Super Mario games, New or otherwise, are casual friendly

Today's casuals are mostly AC/Cod/Uncharted players. I have seen first hand what happens when they approach a moderately difficult 2D Mario level and it's not pretty.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 27, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been wanting a WiiU for TP and WW HD but maybe those will make it to the switch. in the mean time I still have Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, Majora's Mask, and the two DS Lite Zeldas.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Kawabata posted:

Today's casuals are mostly AC/Cod/Uncharted players. I have seen first hand what happens when they approach a moderately difficult 2D Mario level and it's not pretty.

i love nsmb but there is no way i would describe any of them as "moderately difficult"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

I've been wanting a WiiU for TP and WW HD but maybe those will make it to the switch. in the mean time I still have Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, Majora's Mask, and the two DS Lite Zeldas.

I doubt it, at least anytime in the first year or two after BotW's out the door. That game's gonna get a wide berth just to keep the focus on it as the big Switch-moving title.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NQT48L4/

Going on lightning deal at 8PM tonight, you could probably carry your Switch in it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Stux posted:

i love nsmb but there is no way i would describe any of them as "moderately difficult"

I think the latest levels and hardest stars require a lot of patience. Finishing a Mario has never been difficult (except, to some degree, Super Mario Bros 3 / Lost levels?) but collecting everything usually is. At least in my case, after not playing Mario games for 7 years or so I found the last NSMB Wii stars pretty harsh. As hard as, say, trying to beat the worse Bloodborne bosses in my first solo run: sure you can do it by getting better at the game but a casual player probably won't like investing any time into it. Which is ok, to each his own I guess.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 27, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Kawabata posted:

Today's casuals are mostly AC/Cod/Uncharted players.

Hello, have you heard of this thing called a smart phone?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Wheany posted:

Hello, have you heard of this thing called a smart phone?

yes but i didnt want to go into that

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kawabata posted:

I'll say this: I got probated for 6 hours about 2 weeks ago for shitposting that the Wii U was a crappy dead system. In an unexpected turn of events, I received it for Christmas. I can now say the Wii U has the best single player/local multiplayer games of this generation by a mile. I'm just astonished. It's also Wii backwards compatible (the Switch won't be) so if you missed the best Wii games you're set. Nintendo games never age.

This makes me smile. I am glad you love your WiiU.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Those are all insanely good games, all this and much more on your Nintendo Wii U

Don't forget New Super Luigi U!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Looper posted:

Those are all insanely good games, all this and much more on your Nintendo Wii U

Don't forget New Super Luigi U!

Note that Luigi U is DLC for NSMB U.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Sam Faust posted:

Note that Luigi U is DLC for NSMB U.

it's also considerably harder iirc

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Kawabata posted:

yes but i didnt want to go into that

Casual game series:
Uncharted, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed

Hardcore game series:
New Super Mario Bros

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Kawabata posted:

Miracle on 44th Subforum

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

FPzero posted:

Miracle on 44th Subforum

no this is just nintendo magic

the magic of love

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Minus1Minus1 posted:

You heard right. Galaxy 2 and 3D World are my two personal favorite 3D Mario games. You don't really need both NSMBWii and NSMBU though, especially if you plan on playing them back-to-back. While Galaxy 2 and 3D World are different beasts, NSMBWii and NSMBU are very similar but NSMBU is much better in pretty much every way. If possible, try to get a copy bundled with New Super Luigi U which was originally released as DLC, and consists of a bunch of extra short and extra difficult levels with Luigi physics.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Wheany posted:

Casual game series:
Uncharted, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed

Hardcore game series:
New Super Mario Bros

nah obviously the real :smug: "hardcore gamers" only play From Software games and/or Dota 2 in the most toxic possible way and complain about everything being too easy

they also look like deak

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
To paraphrase Mr. Marilyn Manson:

Everybody's someone else's casual, I know you are so am I

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Brother got a nes classic for Christmas and it's awesome. I'm happier with my Wii U and all of the great games, but what I really want now is a SNES classic and what I REALLY want is an N64 classic, basically for Jet Force Gemini. Why can't that game be available on the Wii U?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Brother got a nes classic for Christmas and it's awesome. I'm happier with my Wii U and all of the great games, but what I really want now is a SNES classic and what I REALLY want is an N64 classic, basically for Jet Force Gemini. Why can't that game be available on the Wii U?

Probably due to IP rights

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Probably cause it's in the Rare Replay bundle, with almost sane controls too.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The Galaxy games are prevented from being truly classic by being saddled with the awful waggle controls. If there was a way to play the whole game without waggle, it would be infinitely better.

But invariably on those levels where you have to do a waggle jump to make the platforms flip back and forth, I'll get halfway through the level, and the waggle won't work on one of the jumps, and I'll want to throw my controller through a wall. It's like trying to play through a classic SMB game where the B Button is jump, but it only works 80% of the time.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Linkle is good.

Nice!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

OldSenileGuy posted:

The Galaxy games are prevented from being truly classic by being saddled with the awful waggle controls. If there was a way to play the whole game without waggle, it would be infinitely better.

But invariably on those levels where you have to do a waggle jump to make the platforms flip back and forth, I'll get halfway through the level, and the waggle won't work on one of the jumps, and I'll want to throw my controller through a wall. It's like trying to play through a classic SMB game where the B Button is jump, but it only works 80% of the time.

Other than Fluzzard and that level where you're on a ball and you have to get all the 100 purple coins super quickly I think Galaxy 2 is far from the worst wiimote offender. You would still love to use a regular joypad though. All the time.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Galaxy 2 and 3d World are great, depending on personal preferences I'd buy an argument for either of them as the best overall Mario game. New Super Mario U is an excellent 2d platformer if you can look past the somewhat tired art design. 3d Land is OK but I'm not really crazy about it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nay. The Wii U hate thread was slain in O'14 by Nintendo's E3 presentation.

He says about the system that Nintendo had to kill in the middle of a generation.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kawabata posted:

nah obviously the real :smug: "hardcore gamers" only play From Software games and/or Dota 2 in the most toxic possible way and complain about everything being too easy

they also look like deak

Please don't compare fans of From with fans of Dota

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Idk man, the Galaxy games have the most relaxed and intuitive waggle of pretty much any wii game. I never had any problems with it, contrast DKCR

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fulchrum posted:

He says about the system that Nintendo had to kill in the middle of a generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDOuFnZnPMs

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

OldSenileGuy posted:

The waggle is like the most mild use of motion controls and makes it seamless to do just because of the nunchuk+ wii mote scheme..it's as simple as shaking the wii mote, idk how you could find it infuriating when it's borderline primitive. The Yoshi levels are a hell of a lot worse than that, just get your timing right cuz you're doing it wrong. Your b only works 80% of the time because you're mistiming your inputs

bef fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 28, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Its only 2 weeks or so till the Switch Direct. I can't wait.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

These things are unrelated?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lmao someone just said git gud about waggling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

OldSenileGuy posted:

Lol if you're mad about waggle in 2016. It owned in galaxy and Mario strikers. Felt good and satisfying as hell to just slam that controller back and forth.

• Locked thread