Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sometimes I feel like I shorted my players. Because we played three or four different adventure series over almost a year and the only career advancement they got was to finally get a rosette. The moved up in experience and equipment, just not rank. But part of our feel was them being on the own and McGee ring their way along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Werix posted:

With our group we were/are the worst investigators ever. We have few folks with investigative skills, and most of us have strong combat skills, especially melee.

So typically we get sent to investigate something, spend too much time investigating, and then apply heavy use of force and somehow come out on top. The toughest thing we have fought so far has either been a daemon knight (I wasn't there that session) or a khorne juggernaut and then the bloodletter on top.

We have kept a running list of things my character has blended with dual wielding and swift attack. I am also charismatic as hell, hence becoming an Inquisitor.

Here is the blend list from my character sheet in roll20:

Does it blend:
Guards,
orks,
mercenaries,
Bishops,
Inquisitors,
Stormtrooper,
squigs,
Mutants,
Right Hands of the Prophet,
Harbingers,
gun servitor,
Flamed enlightened,
regular enlightened,
Plaguebearer,
desert hick, Quint (weird mutant),
warp animated guard,
laborer,
merchant guard,
bloodletter,
juggernaught,
big metal door,
smuggler,
brainwashed scav

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Werix posted:

Here is the blend list from my character sheet in roll20:

Does it blend:
Flamed enlightened,
regular enlightened,

I don't know why, but this made me laugh loud enough that it woke the dogs up.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

I don't know why, but this made me laugh loud enough that it woke the dogs up.

Enlightened were the sort of chosen troops of one of the big bads we have been constantly fighting. Well one time I lit some of them on fire with the hull mounted flamer of our Chimera and then hopped out and blended them. We opted they should be a separate entry.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Multiple Inquisitors?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My guy once grabbed a couple blanks by the collar in each fist and socked a c'tan with them. He then had a good half of his body vaporized, burning a fate point to get Robocopped later. Absolutely worth it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ashcans posted:

Sometimes I feel like I shorted my players. Because we played three or four different adventure series over almost a year and the only career advancement they got was to finally get a rosette. The moved up in experience and equipment, just not rank. But part of our feel was them being on the own and McGee ring their way along.
The way our Ascension game will eventually start (it's been delayed for some time but my GM and I pass around ideas online) is that our Inquisitor burned a career's worth of favors because we saw (and killed) an unbound daemon prince. So our team has enough gear to fill a single guncutter and not much else.

And I'd be down for a game of RT if anyone's looking to run one.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Skellybones posted:

Multiple Inquisitors?

No, only one. Though he was a repeated clone of a long dead traitorous inquisitor, so that should probably just read in the singular.

We've seen some poo poo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

My guy once grabbed a couple blanks by the collar in each fist and socked a c'tan with them. He then had a good half of his body vaporized, burning a fate point to get Robocopped later. Absolutely worth it.

Can you run that past me again? I am hazy on Ctan, is this some reversed lifedrain thing?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
No fukken clue on that, the old fluff had C'Tan as some sort of stellar parasites who could leech life energy in a pinch.

I never got a solid lock on whether necrons were in it to harvest energy or because they hatrd life because reasons.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
E:nm

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Can you run that past me again? I am hazy on Ctan, is this some reversed lifedrain thing?

In the game it was a huge boss necron who's otherwise insurmountable plot powers were weakened by proximity to blanks. Within the actual setting, I don't know. We have enough 40k nerds in my game that at least once a session we detour into some minutiae that we eventually decide should be left mysterious. If it helps I think our game uses "old" necrons? Because they're just terminators except for some sort of super rare leader.

The reasoning that "the closer we get these blanks to C`tan the less happy it is, so lets chuck them bodily at it" was pretty great though.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

ed: ^ yeah that

I have no idea what the new lore is re ctans if they're even still around, just that new necrons are sassy mummies rather than a race entirely of boring terminators.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

JcDent posted:

No fukken clue on that, the old fluff had C'Tan as some sort of stellar parasites who could leech life energy in a pinch.

I never got a solid lock on whether necrons were in it to harvest energy or because they hatrd life because reasons.

iirc, old-crons' homeworld was heavily irradiated and they lived short, excruciatingly painful lives. This twisted them into hateful beings who loathed everything and everyone. Then the C'tan come along and offer to take away that pain by giving them shiny and chrome bodies, leaving out the bit about enslaving them. This made them understandably livid so they rebelled against their new gods and broke them into pieces to power ridiculously potent pieces of tech.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

ed: ^ yeah that

I have no idea what the new lore is re ctans if they're even still around, just that new necrons are sassy mummies rather than a race entirely of boring terminators.

Almost all the ctans were killed by the Necrons and were broken down into hundreds of little fragments that are used by the Necrons like attack dogs. Of course the issue is that the Ctan always have to keep an eye on them for should they escape then they can start merging with other shards that could lead to a Ctan eventually coming back to life again.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Necrons are surprisingly similar to the Krikkit from HitchHikers Guide. Right down to blowing up stars for kicks.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hunt11 posted:

Almost all the ctans were killed by the Necrons and were broken down into hundreds of little fragments that are used by the Necrons like attack dogs. Of course the issue is that the Ctan always have to keep an eye on them for should they escape then they can start merging with other shards that could lead to a Ctan eventually coming back to life again.

To add to this, Newcrons are more like insane Tomb Kings at the upper management levels but their sentience decreases as you go down the hierarchy due to the corrupting of their memory cores and the grunts not getting the platinum plan like the leaders got. I also think per the fluff they weren't supposed to be out of commission for as long as they were, just until they recuperated from their war with the Old Ones but that didn't work out in standard sci-fi fashion. Most of the low level grunts are barely sentient from what I remember because of this, pretty much bargain bin terminators, but they're still being directed in most cases by their former leaders, who are all on the fritz. I think there are instances of Necrons not having leaders and just being mindless killbots in the new fluff but I don't think that got a lot of attention because it didn't preclude you blowing $20 on a space pharaoh mini and it's not worth GW's time unless you're taking out a mortgage to play that army.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's also a really good chance that significant portions of the Void Dragon (the Necron god of Technology, imprisoned by the Emperor in an infinitely large cave beneath Mars) and the Deceiver (who out schemes Tzeentch, because he's been doing it longer, and ma be responsible for the emergence of Blanks) are loose and have joined back together. The Void Dragon might even have a large Mechanicus cult.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

There's also a really good chance that significant portions of the Void Dragon (the Necron god of Technology, imprisoned by the Emperor in an infinitely large cave beneath Mars) and the Deceiver (who out schemes Tzeentch, because he's been doing it longer, and ma be responsible for the emergence of Blanks) are loose and have joined back together. The Void Dragon might even have a large Mechanicus cult.

The Void Dragon is the Omnissiah. The Emperor defeated the Void Dragon during the Middle Ages on Earth and brought it to Mars so that it would one day inspire a cult of technology for the Emperor to use. Every thousand years, a new priest and a protector were drawn to the tomb of the Void Dragon where they inherited the book with the rituals to keep the Dragon contained and leaking knowledge to the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Unfortunately, that book went missing during the changing of the guard during the Heresy...

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
What about the metal dragon Ferrus Manus chokeslammed into a volcano? Different fragment of the void dragon?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not related to the void dragon at all, maybe not even a Necron. Shiny metal dragon, possibly a Necron construct possibly not.

The book that talks about the imprisonment of the Void Dragon talks about how "dragon" is just a word and a metaphor - it's a dragon in the sense of a primeval, semi-divine being that helped create the world.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Both the Emperor and the C'tan are too big for people to really see them, so they see Saint George fighting a massive beast with blackened silver scales whose breast burns with the failing light of consumed stars.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I hear some of Horus Heresy books being criticized for loving up G-E by being daddy issue vessels for authors, but that might be 4chan talking

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JcDent posted:

I hear some of Horus Heresy books being criticized for loving up G-E by being daddy issue vessels for authors, but that might be 4chan talking

The Emperor was a lovely father figure to the primarchs, but I don't know if I'd call it daddy issues. The Horus Heresy's line on the primarchs and the Emperor comes down to the Emperor wanting the primarchs to be effective and aggressive generals for his armies. Primarchs who accepted that that is what the Emperor required of them tended to do well. It's the primarchs who didn't want to be blindly obedient generals - either because of their pride and ambition (Horus, Magnus, Mortarion, Fulgrim) or because they didn't want to be a soldier at all (Angron, Lorgar, Perturabo, Night Haunter) who had the biggest issues with the Emperor.

On the other hand, the unifying thread to Sanguinius, Rogal Dorn, Roboute Guilliman, Ferrus Manus, Corax, Vulkan, Jaghatai, Leman Russ, and Lion is that they were happy in the role the Emperor created for them. They were content to be the Emperor's mightiest but subservient generals for as long as he asked them to be such.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Cythereal posted:

The Void Dragon is the Omnissiah. The Emperor defeated the Void Dragon during the Middle Ages on Earth and brought it to Mars so that it would one day inspire a cult of technology for the Emperor to use. Every thousand years, a new priest and a protector were drawn to the tomb of the Void Dragon where they inherited the book with the rituals to keep the Dragon contained and leaking knowledge to the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Unfortunately, that book went missing during the changing of the guard during the Heresy...

Which book(s) is the bit about the book in? I always need more mechanicus in my life.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

robziel posted:

Which book(s) is the bit about the book in? I always need more mechanicus in my life.

Surprisingly enough, Mechanicum. The book focuses on Mars and the Mechanicus at the outbreak of the Heresy, but some of the protagonists end up dealing with Mars' oldest and most terrible secret rather than anything so simplistic as Chaos.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I somehow missed that one thank you.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Some of the stuff dealing with the loyalist Primarchs, such as the Khan and Lion el'Johnson, seems to imply they were waiting for a good reason to turn against the Emperor, but that what Horus offered wasn't good enough.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Cythereal posted:

Surprisingly enough, Mechanicum. The book focuses on Mars and the Mechanicus at the outbreak of the Heresy, but some of the protagonists end up dealing with Mars' oldest and most terrible secret rather than anything so simplistic as Chaos.

I quite liked that book for making the point, "if you kill a dragon you get its treasure. The Void Dragon's treasure is knowledge. Hence Mars."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pert is basically a masochist. Where Fists took their task with honor and stuff, Pert basically purposefully made it as horrible and grinding to his legion, then pouted that he didn't get praise that Fists got.

I might be wrong. I've just read four of the HH rulebooks and three first HH books.

Basically, I'm Team God-Emperor Did Nothing Wrong Besides Banning Religion

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

JcDent posted:

Pert is basically a masochist. Where Fists took their task with honor and stuff, Pert basically purposefully made it as horrible and grinding to his legion, then pouted that he didn't get praise that Fists got.

I might be wrong. I've just read four of the HH rulebooks and three first HH books.

Basically, I'm Team God-Emperor Did Nothing Wrong Besides Banning Religion

Yeah, Perturabo is kindof a brutal rear end in a top hat. Discipline through brutality, inflexibility in tactics leading to elevated casualties.

Warriors would fight to the last in pursuance of their orders. Fists would fight to the last in pursuance of the ideology of the crusade. One of these doctrines gives you flexibility in doing the best thing.

Also Perturabo pretty much hated all his legionnairies, a trait he shared with the Night Haunter. They could never be hardcore enough for him. That's never a good sign.

Didn't help that he both grew up pretty twisted and his legion developed separately to start with. Dorn got to shape the bulk of his legion while they were still being inducted.

The Emperor was still galaxy's worst dad, but it's not ALL his fault.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Perturabo in particular and the Iron Warriors in general were so loving goony that they threw a hissy fit over the fact that no one else ever got the poo poo jobs when they kept taking poo poo jobs without complaint, and so bad at ruling that their own loving home world revolted.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The Emperor genocided Prospero and didn't give two fucks about Angron in the least.

#TeamRuinousPowers :colbert:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The Emperor genocided Prospero and didn't give two fucks about Angron in the least.

#TeamRuinousPowers :colbert:

Magnus and his legion were loving around with poo poo that was forbidden for a very good reason and went home and pouted like children when told to knock it off. When you are trying to kill Chaos by removing all power from them having an entire legion believing in it is self defeating. Magnus was wrong and it was Horus who goaded Russ into the genocide, Big E just wanted Magnus to stand trial for his defiance.

Angron was hosed beyond even the Big E's ability to help by the time he was discovered so the Big E was just making the best of a bad situation. By all rights he should of been put out of his misery and his legion disbanded when he was discovered instead of being used as a blunt instrument of war.

The Emporors problem was that he wasn't as big of a poo poo as he should of been and was too willing to indulge the primarchs instead of bringing them to heel.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With Angron the Emperor should have teleported down there with some Custodes and just wrecked poo poo on the attacking armies. It would have been a good way to not only show Angron how powerful he actually was, but also help give him some stability in the form of his comrades still being alive.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, that would have probably helped. Plus, it would have been a nice weekend distraction, purging them primitives.

E: what's the deal with Night Haunter, aside from the whole Rorsarch Cassandra thing?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 28, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Perturabo also had the small issue that he hated everything the Imperium stood for from the word go. He believed in peaceful democracy and dreamed of being a diplomat and architect who built amazing structures like theaters and friendly sports arenas. Perturabo hated the Imperium and hated the Emperor for only wanting him to lead armies and blow things up, and hated his Legion for being happy doing just that.

Pert's brutality towards his own men makes a lot more sense when you realize his attitude was "You're all foot soldiers of a murderous tyrant, why the gently caress should I care about your lives?"

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 28, 2016

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Even if the Emperor had fought beside Angron in his slave revolt Angron would of still gone to Chaos. It was the butchers nails that caused him to fall, the resentment just made the degradation a bit quicker.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Probably would have helped if he wasn't very much motivated to be angrier.

How did the Traitor Legions survive at all?

Pert: hates his own troops and really serious about attrition part of attrition warfare

Mortarion: thinks that walking towards the enemy at a brisk pace is more important than combined arms, tanks, artillery or something

Angron: crazy rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about his troops

Night Haunter: attacking civilians and terror tactics aren't stupid, but he still hates his own troops

Fulgrim, Horus, Lorgar, Magnus (who got into this kinda almost entirely through Horus' fault) and Alpharius seem to give a gently caress, sure. But 2 of the most attrition-happy Legions got mauled in Istvaans, and it's not like the others got away scott-free.

On the other hand, Salamanders even before Vulcan were happy to die to a man in last stands, and Metal Human was some sort of Pert-Mortarion hybrid. I don't remember much about thr other loyalist legions, tho, but I think they were less blatantly suicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Horus and pals lose the war. Most of the Traitor Legions take tremendous losses, and compensate in different ways: the Death Guard are just that tough and have Nurglite sorcery to help them (making Mortarion the galaxy's biggest hypocrite,) the Iron Warriors use lots and lots of slaves to do all the dirty work now, the World Eaters just don't care, and the Night Lords split up into hundreds of pirate bands to avoid being crushed. After the war the Traitor Legions tended to bring in new troops quickly, whether by bizzare warp alchemy, stealing geneseed, or just not having to follow the rules that the loyalists do on numbers.