Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
How do you get Bezerkers to attack their own side? I've never seen it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Spermanent Record posted:

How do you get Bezerkers to attack their own side? I've never seen it happen.

Make them 200% Mad* in the middle of their own guys. One time I managed to get two of them to beat the poo poo out of each other.

*I don't remember what the not 'Ayyyylmao Mod' condition is called

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's pretty tough because it requires you to be leaving not one but two enemies alive for the alien turn, so it doesn't happen very often.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Paingod556 posted:

Make them 200% Mad* in the middle of their own guys. One time I managed to get two of them to beat the poo poo out of each other.

*I don't remember what the not 'Ayyyylmao Mod' condition is called

I think it's "Blood Rage" or something like that.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Fister Roboto posted:

Please avoid Anarchy's Children unless you like all of your new recruits looking like clowns.

the soldier that showed up to gatecrasher wearing nothing but red leather bootyshorts and announced his first injury with "posterior wound here!" saved erf, gtfo.

admittedly yes, a lot of anarchy's children was real, real bad. but when it's good, it's so goddamn good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Reading about the performance issues a lot of people still have, I think I'm going to wait this out a bit longer. Hoping that maybe they'll optimize the game when/if they release the expansion.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
If recruiting an entire rave club into the XCOM resistance doesn't make you explode into a raging ball of hate, the season pass containing AC, Shen's Gift and Hunters is 0.01 dollars more expensive than just buying Shen's Gift and Hunters

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Reading about the performance issues a lot of people still have, I think I'm going to wait this out a bit longer. Hoping that maybe they'll optimize the game when/if they release the expansion.

The expansion pack will probably make things worse since it'll add even more things that the game has to keep track of, and the current stuff is already straining the modified UE3 engine to the limits.

edit: Well unless the expansion pack also comes with a full update to UE4. That could probably fix some things (or at the very least, hopefully get the game a sorting function that doesn't have a haphazard workaround for too long arrays)

Exposure fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 26, 2016

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
They're not gonna optimize the game if they haven't already

It runs like poo poo because they were stupid when it comes to particle effects and watching performance - guess they figured nobody would care that their top of the line system drops to 30-40 fps on some maps/fights because "hey its a turn based strategy game"

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Just wanted to mention that Repeater weapon mods (5/10/15% chance to kill any opponent regardless of remaining hit points) work on Alien rulers.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
When does the tutorial end? I'd like to start a new game without it, but I don't want to miss anything important.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
With the tutorial on, after you complete the first smash and grab mission that enables the Avenger, it's functionally over. With it off, you will run the bombing mission of Gatecrasher - the one that provides the cover for Bradford's mission - and you'll jump immediately to the Avenger, active and ready to go.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, tutorial's nice to play to get the story and poo poo once, and to see Bradford's comically large gun. But once you've done the intro mission and getting the fusion core for the Avenger you're all good. You can reset so that you aren't forced by the game to start your campaign making bad decisions for the sake of showing you why said decisions are bad.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

It's worth noting that the tutorial's first "real" mission is a timed "disable the bomb" where you'll have a Ranger and 3 rookies. After that, it's pretty much the same.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Just wanted to mention that Repeater weapon mods (5/10/15% chance to kill any opponent regardless of remaining hit points) work on Alien rulers.

Yep. I got that Archon fucker within 5 seconds of his reveal. It was real sweet since the previous rulers killed 4 good soldiers. Also got me the achievement for killing a ruler on the first turn, which I didn't think I'd get otherwise.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Elth posted:

It's worth noting that the tutorial's first "real" mission is a timed "disable the bomb" where you'll have a Ranger and 3 rookies. After that, it's pretty much the same.

It is also surprisingly brutal for a "tutorial" mission.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

It is also surprisingly brutal for a "tutorial" mission.

It would be if you had any control over your soldiers to not die like idiots.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hunt11 posted:

It would be if you had any control over your soldiers to not die like idiots.

He's not talking about the scripted intro.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you have full control over your squad in the fusion core for the avenger mission, it's just that there's an awful lot of enemy mans for a mission with that map and that time limit

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

This happened in the ongoing LP, during the first encounter with the archon king. :black101:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

This happened in the ongoing LP, during the first encounter with the archon king. :black101:

Making the co-commentator ragequit in the process

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

At least it got time to put a soldier six feet under.

Literally, not figuratively. She's fine now.

You should watch Jade's LP, it's cool.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I thought the repeaters working on Rulers was patched a while ago?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

No repeaters working on rulers is as intended, what got patched was the repeater drop rate

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I think you'll find Anarchy's Children is actually very good and you should use it. (Admittedly the facepaint here is from a mod.)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I do like the bracers and pauldrons. It's just when my heavy grenadier shows up in an open shirt and booty shorts that my verisimilitude (insert your favorite crybaby emoticon here) suffers.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

I just don't buy the whole Mad Max aesthetic for XCOM...... AT ALL.

To be frank, imho XCOM:EU had a much, much better setting and atmosphere than XCOM 2. They nailed the mystery, the overall feeling of menace from a much more powerful enemy that you don't understand, and there are moments in that game that are iconic, for example, when you intercept your first UFO and the XCOM personnel claps and cheers.

XCOM 2 is a really great game and technically superior, especially in the strategic layer (the Geoscape game in XCOM:EU is just bad), but I'd even say XCOM:EW may be superior, for me. Enemy Within is just genius, just genius. The setting is incredible, the spy missions are fun and great, finding and raiding the Exalt headquarters feels awesome, it's just a really, really good game and I hope Firaxis manages to find that feeling again for the franchise.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

quiggy posted:

I think you'll find Anarchy's Children is actually very good and you should use it. (Admittedly the facepaint here is from a mod.)

And the textures are courtesy of your GeForce 6600!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bogart posted:

I do like the bracers and pauldrons. It's just when my heavy grenadier shows up in an open shirt and booty shorts that my verisimilitude (insert your favorite crybaby emoticon here) suffers.
whereas I think that's goddamn hilarious. And why they miss so much. They're not Earth's best and brightest soldiers anymore, they're a bunch of fucktards who thought that blowing aliens up with this grenade launcher they found somewhere was a great idea.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Apoplexy posted:

And the textures are courtesy of your GeForce 6600!

Ha ha yeah the game runs like poo poo on my computer. That's what happens when you don't update the hardware for years :v:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Link? That sounds hilarious

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrManiac posted:

Link? That sounds hilarious

Video and thread.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

whereas I think that's goddamn hilarious. And why they miss so much. They're not Earth's best and brightest soldiers anymore, they're a bunch of fucktards who thought that blowing aliens up with this grenade launcher they found somewhere was a great idea.

exactly this. Look at the randomized biographies the game gives some of them. This is literally what your soldiers are this time. Random fuckers who decided "gently caress ALIENS" and picked up a gun, then XCom came along and said "I like your attitude!"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

exactly this. Look at the randomized biographies the game gives some of them. This is literally what your soldiers are this time. Random fuckers who decided "gently caress ALIENS" and picked up a gun, then XCom came along and said "I like your attitude!"

"Your accuracy and firearm safety...not so much. But you're the only one who showed-I mean you're the best we've got so get out there and...try not to die TOO horribly."

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wait expansion pack?

Says who

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Wait expansion pack?

Says who

There's been a few interesting tidbits bouncing around the internet, including Firaxis apparently having someone write another XCOM2 book. Something a company isn't likely to spend cash on unless the book series is popular (Halo, yes, XCOM, no) or there's another release for the book to tie into.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I haven't played since release, did they remove the little menu when you are about to start the game where you enable disable mods? When i started the game i got a little blurb about "unable to determine which mods where loaded" or something like that, wanted to see if mods were actually enabled, but can't find that menu anymore.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dongattack posted:

I haven't played since release, did they remove the little menu when you are about to start the game where you enable disable mods? When i started the game i got a little blurb about "unable to determine which mods where loaded" or something like that, wanted to see if mods were actually enabled, but can't find that menu anymore.

The launcher when you start the game? Still shows up for me.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Wait expansion pack?

Says who

:shrug: firaxis games always get atleast one expansion (even beyond earth which nobody likes). what else are they going to do now that civ 6 is out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Alkydere posted:

The launcher when you start the game? Still shows up for me.

Hmm, something is wrong with my game then cause i'm subscribed to several mods, but the game can't seem to see them.