Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
vader ages in reverse like benjamin button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Major Fucker posted:

vader ages in reverse like benjamin button

The Empire devoted a lot of R&D towards making a better Vader. That's why he gradually gets healthier until he dies.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Missed opportunity: Krennic should have died by being drowned by Kyle Chandler.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how is the ugly young vader guy gonna be an effective villain in the next two movies when he's undermined so completely in the first one

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Rey will be the new villain

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Major Fucker posted:

how is the ugly young vader guy gonna be an effective villain in the next two movies when he's undermined so completely in the first one

Hux seems pretty competent, Snoke is an unknown at this point. Having a spaz running around would be fun.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

A Major Fucker posted:

I think he's fantastic. You can't top vader, anything you try will be a wannabe so they just lent in to that concept. I think he works as a villain because hes basically been undermined from the word go, he's shown to be most dangerous to his subordinates when he lashes out after his many fuckups, rather than dangerous to his foes.

There's a lot about ep7 I don't love but kylo is great. He gets chumped repeatedly, getting more and more unstable as the film goes on. I think it'll be real interesting to see play out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Major Fucker posted:

Kylo Ren is pathetic but that isn't the same as not being dangerous. He puts Finn into a coma and murders Han Solo. (Offscreen) he basically kills the new Jedi Order. He gets defeated by Rey but explicitly is going to get trained more after his loss.

He's probably never going to be an intimidating Darth Vader figure but as an angry violent young guy being manipulated by an rear end in a top hat he can do plenty of damage on his own.

As a side note notice that Darth Vader does almost nothing throughout the original Trilogy except cut off Luke's hand and win a fight that Obi-Wan throws. Kylo Ren is almost a more effective villain than Darth Vader in terms of actually doing things in his first film than Vader was in all three films combined. Presentation matters a lot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Was it just me or were the Rebel fighters clad in very Vietnam-esque gear?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
They were. It's a modified mix of some Vietnam era gear, newer Russian Gorkas and a random assortment of some other newer American and foreign gear. They're also wearing some mods for pre-existing Rebel gear from Hoth and Endor.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Movie was good but not great, about the same as Force Awakens for me. But I did really like the last 5 or so minutes when it turned into a horror movie starring Darth Vader.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought a lot of Act I got hit in the reshoot and it feels very abbreviated. I still found the movie to be pretty entertaining, though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I thought a lot of Act I got hit in the reshoot and it feels very abbreviated. I still found the movie to be pretty entertaining, though.

Act 3 got hit heavily. If you go with stills and the original trailer, Jyn and Cassian were supposed be fighting in the big climatic battle on the beach after they recovered the Stardust tape from the data center, with Krennic leading his Death Troopers out to meet them (that shot in the trailer with Krennic walking on water in twilight). It's likely the whole plot element with the transmitter on the beach with Chirrut, Baze, and Bodhi had them meeting back up with Jyn and Cassian, leading to them making their sacrifices to get the tape transmitted.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was it just me or were the Rebel fighters clad in very Vietnam-esque gear?
It didn't look exactly like it to me, but more evocative of it like padded vests for flak jackets, metal cylinders in the helmet band instead of deathsticks cigarettes, etc.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Panzeh posted:

I guess the reshoot made the Act I feel really sloppy editing wise. I also tried to pick up things that were added by the studio. Jyn saving the kid in Jedha felt like one at least.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think Act 1 just got edited to hell and back. Like, how else do you explain casting Forest Whitaker and then he ends up with almost nothing to do. As mentioned, Act 3 was almost entirely reshot. That last battle just has no flow or anything to it. It's like a Rube Goldberg machine of people. The action itself is good, but just WHAT they were doing was ridiculous. They made it overly complicated just so everyone could have some sort of noble end.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam Driver is a beautiful man and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Adam Driver is a beautiful man and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Grecian style I bet :butt::heysexy:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jose Oquendo posted:

Like, how else do you explain casting Forest Whitaker and then he ends up with almost nothing to do.

Max von Sydow would like to have a word with you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Like, how else do you explain casting Forest Whitaker and then he ends up with almost nothing to do.

Pretty much 90% of the acting industry would fight their way through security to break into the casting sessions and yell "I'LL SUCK YOUR DICK TO BE AN EWOK!". Like if you tell them "You get to be a rebel version of Darth Vader with robot legs and a mind-rape tentacle monster and the breathing mask" they will just go "I'm down, lets start filming right now, I'll cut my legs off I don't give a gently caress".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mulva posted:

Pretty much 90% of the acting industry would fight their way through security to break into the casting sessions and yell "I'LL SUCK YOUR DICK TO BE AN EWOK!". Like if you tell them "You get to be a rebel version of Darth Vader with robot legs and a mind-rape tentacle monster and the breathing mask" they will just go "I'm down, lets start filming right now, I'll cut my legs off I don't give a gently caress".

the horrors of capitalism

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

the horrors of capitalism

Most of them don't get paid anywhere near their normal prices. They just want to be in Star Wars. It's not like Craig was getting a few hundred thousand to cameo as a Storm Trooper whose face you never see.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

I always thought these Star Wars movies were just a way for actors to cash a cheque. Never thought they actually would "fight" to be in one.

E.g. Whitaker seemed not too concerned with the film and was just seeing how much hamming he could get away with and that I enjoyed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People asked this when Terminator Genisys came out there was this question of "why would Jason Clarke agree to be in this isn't he a 'real' actor was he blackmailed or something how bizarre." But I remember seeing plenty of interviews even for Terminator 3 that were less them looking for people and more cast members being like "Holy gently caress I get to be or/and kill Terminators and hang with Arnold? OF COURSE I TOOK THIS ROLE" If someone saw Terminator 1 or 2 when they were pretty young then yeah obviously they're gonna have that reaction. Mulva is totally right, like why would anyone turn down "you get to be the mentor of the main character in ***THE NEW STAR WARS*** movie also you're a badass cyborg that breathes like Darth Vader." Honestly Whitaker was cool so I'm sad so much of his character was cut from the movie. People said there were extensive re-shoots across the whole flick but the climax was great to me, Saw getting so little to do was the only thing that felt like it got really blatantly chopped up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

I always thought these Star Wars movies were just a way for actors to cash a cheque. Never thought they actually would "fight" to be in one.

E.g. Whitaker seemed not too concerned with the film and was just seeing how much hamming he could get away with and that I enjoyed.

People are also forgetting that a lot of the recent Star Wars stuff is contract work, it's a guaranteed payday. Whitaker might be in the movie for less than 15 minutes, but he's been contracted to do voice work for at least the next season of Rebels, which is significantly less stressful. And that's not including video games, etc.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
force awakens: main characters are great, everything else is bad

rogue one: main characters are bad, everything else is good

also palpatine is Cromwell and the Republic should never have been restored. what a bunch of useless nobility upset their hereditary titles are gone and a meritocracy exists

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 26, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

For some actors it's a thing they do for their kids / grandkids.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
So, I was watching a new Shakespeare on PBS and...

Henry VI Part 1, Act I, Scene IV posted:

SUFFOLK posted:

Turn not thy scorns this way, Plantagenet.
RICHARD

PLANTAGENET posted:

Proud Pole, I will, and scorn both him and thee.

SUFFOLK posted:

I'll turn my part thereof into thy throat.

PLANTAGENET posted:

And, by my soul, this pale and angry rose,
As cognizance of my blood-drinking hate,
Will I for ever and my faction wear,
Until it wither with me to my grave
Or flourish to the height of my degree.

Suffolk posted:

Go forward and be choked with thy ambition!
And so farewell until I meet thee next.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The line says aspirations which is a pun on his ambitions and breathing as well

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Oh, I'm aware.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

TheMaestroso posted:

So, I was watching a new Shakespeare on PBS and...

It's better in the original Klingon.

Wait...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Almost all of the leaked set photos from the production of Episode VIII.

http://www.imgur.com/a/nf4ZW

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

Almost all of the leaked set photos from the production of Episode VIII.

http://www.imgur.com/a/nf4ZW

Color me intrigued. The palazzo-style street scenes and gaudy black-tie stuff is pretty curious. It almost seems like a different movie until I saw the aliens.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I wanna hang out with smiley muttonchops alien.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Gay Catholic makes Jedi Jesuit, so what?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like theres going to be a black tie event that gets car bombed

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Carrie Fisher has passed away.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Carrie Fisher has passed away.

gently caress 2016.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
A lot of the early leaks were about her spending the whole movie in a coma or otherwise out of action. I'm sure there's a board meeting going on as we speak about how to CGI in an end for Leia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aaronicon posted:

A lot of the early leaks were about her spending the whole movie in a coma or otherwise out of action. I'm sure there's a board meeting going on as we speak about how to CGI in an end for Leia.

A movie about Princess Leia getting put into a coma during a horrible accident and then dying would probably be too grim.

• Locked thread