Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Slumpy posted:

That's not so much the argument I'm making, just that I don't see the point of it being added. What does it bring to the game? I won't be upset if it's added, I just don't see the point. I rather see improvements to the end game than worry about making showers and toilets.

But imagine the mood benefits for having a Golden Throne for your colonists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Volmarias posted:

But imagine the mood benefits for having a Golden Throne for your colonists?

I guess that's neat, yeah. I just don't want my colonists to get tied up making GBS threads when there is a raid going on or having someone fly into a rage cuz they pissed themselves. Guess it'd be funny for the first few times, I dunno about afterwards.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Slumpy posted:

That's not so much the argument I'm making, just that I don't see the point of it being added. What does it bring to the game? I won't be upset if it's added, I just don't see the point. I rather see improvements to the end game than worry about making showers and toilets.

Edit: Like with prison architect, it at least brings in the idea that your inmates use them to escape and hide items. It's also strictly a game of managing your inmates. I don't see the point of adding them is all.

I mean, conceivably: It could add interesting management challenges in terms of disease control and disease effects. Piping and "clean water/dirty water" management could add some interesting infrastructure challenges to making more efficient bases.

And you could add showers to every doorway to keep your colonists from tracking dirt everywhere.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Decontamination sequences for every room :getin:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
"Now entering the [HOSPITAL/FOOD PREP] wing. Please stand by during decontamination... *tsssssh* you may proceed, colonist."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

"Now entering the [HOSPITAL/FOOD PREP] wing. Please stand by during decontamination... *tsssssh* you may proceed, colonist."

Even without pooping people do that in dwarf fortress. I remember rigging waterfalls over my fort entrance to give everyone showers consistently.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Behold my spergfort

I'm thinking of changing one of the cellars to put a breaking room where I can surround prisoners with dozens on corpses to make them insane so I can harvest their organs for medical practice :getin:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Teikanmi posted:

Behold my spergfort

I'm thinking of changing one of the cellars to put a breaking room where I can surround prisoners with dozens on corpses to make them insane so I can harvest their organs for medical practice :getin:

Why would they need to be insane for that?

I ask purely from a position of practicality, I fully understand the aesthetic appeal.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have one of the mods where it's okay to execute/cut up prisoners who are guilty or attacking colonists or going berserk

at least I think it's a mod

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teikanmi posted:

I have one of the mods where it's okay to execute/cut up prisoners who are guilty or attacking colonists or going berserk

at least I think it's a mod

A16 added the ability to gently caress prisoners up if they're viewed as "guilty" by the colony without affecting anyone's mood. So if the prisoners go berserk then that will probably give them guilty status and nobody will get a mood penalty for harvesting from an "innocent" prisoner

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

OR you could create a gladiator pit by pumping all your prisoners with luciferium and when they all go into berserk withdrawal it'll start a massive cage brawl. Losers get organs harvested, winner gets enough drugs to survive until the next gladiator match.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

OR you could create a gladiator pit by pumping all your prisoners with luciferium and when they all go into berserk withdrawal it'll start a massive cage brawl. Losers get organs harvested, winner gets enough drugs to survive until the next gladiator match.

Do this

But he did say prolonged drug use will damage organs so your mileage may vary.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 27, 2016

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Do different operations have different chances and severity of failure or does tynan really think that sticking a peg leg on a stump is just as difficult as giving someone a brain implant?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
considering how janky medical treatment is as a whole i doubt he's thought of very much at all there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Elth posted:

Do different operations have different chances and severity of failure or does tynan really think that sticking a peg leg on a stump is just as difficult as giving someone a brain implant?

Unless something has changed, all operations have the same base chance of 1 except for remove carcinoma which is harder at .6

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Unless something has changed, all operations have the same base chance of 1 except for remove carcinoma which is harder at .6

Didn't even know Carcinoma was in the game :eyepop:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lunethex posted:

It is and I had a character with it once. You had to treat it every several days or they'd be in pain, iirc.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lunethex posted:

I had my hens evacuated inside during a pack of manhunting rhinos, and failed to prohibit two tiles of my beer stockpile. One night later, half of the chickens get so hammered they go down and need rescue.

Like a loving dozen of them got cirrhosis, and most of those developed carcinomas as a result. Over the next year two of them got so painful that the hens couldn't stand anymore and I had to put them out of their misery. I imagine human pawns being treated with medicine instead of with massage and prayer (or whatever medical treatment with no medicine is supposed to represent) would live longer.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

why do animals keep getting into the liquor

and how

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Alpha 17 update notes:

- Medical care with no medicine results in clothing damage, as scraps of cloth are used as improvised bandages
-- Base chance of success is capped at 25%
-- Failure may result in accidental death by strangulation

- New disease: Spontaneous Combustion

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Seems like a joke, but isn't

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slumpy posted:

Edit: Like with prison architect, it at least brings in the idea that your inmates use them to escape and hide items. It's also strictly a game of managing your inmates. I don't see the point of adding them is all.

As in, they don't need to ingame, and I wasn't aware that they were going to start?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Seems like a joke, but isn't

i was just about to ask

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I think the main problem with adding things like water and sanitation is that it just creates a burden at the beginning but becomes irrelevant in the mid-game. The only thing I can see that would cause an interesting challenge for water is on hot climates since there may not be a lot of rain or groundwaters, but those climates already have their own challenges (wide open, its very hot, fires start easily).

The way to go I think is to have problems that scale with the status of your colony, like how raids scale. Some dudes with charge rifles and grenades won't care about a tribal colony that doesn't have power, but once you get to the point of glitterworld medicine and growing drugs then they'll take notice. Stuff along that line of mid/end-game scaling challenges would be like having a stable colony that has grown to be more than a handful of people now having internal factions that vie for control (religions, politics, etc.).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lunethex posted:

why do animals keep getting into the liquor

and how

You basically have to zone restrict them from your beer and drugs stockpiles.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always make too much beer so pets stealing drinks isn't a issue when you are the planet's beer Baron.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IcePhoenix posted:

A16 added the ability to gently caress prisoners up if they're viewed as "guilty" by the colony without affecting anyone's mood. So if the prisoners go berserk then that will probably give them guilty status and nobody will get a mood penalty for harvesting from an "innocent" prisoner

Incorrect. Only execution has a "guilty" modifier. Organ harvesting is organ harvesting regardless of guilt.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Teikanmi posted:

Holy gently caress Ludeon seriously needs to fix operations, it's a total crapshoot

Level 15 doctor fucks up 3 times in a row trying to install a peg leg and crushes patient to death

Way too hard to have successful operations now

This is probably my biggest frustration with the game right now, it's so ridiculous. C'mon Tynan, even people in the 19th century managed to install peg legs and eye patches without dying horribly, and everything in the 19th century made you die horribly!

If there was a mod that differentiated "simple" prostheses as far as success rate I'd download it in a heartbeat.

Edit: or even adjust surgical failures to be a ridiculously high infection rate, that would at least make sense.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 28, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
And amputations. Like, I'm confident anyone in this thread could figure out how to amputate a limb without missing and cutting up a guy's liver.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

tuyop posted:

And amputations. Like, I'm confident anyone in this thread could figure out how to amputate a limb without missing and cutting up a guy's liver.

Yeah, but we'd have the benefit of sharpies to write "This One" on the offending extremity before getting krunk.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Incorrect. Only execution has a "guilty" modifier. Organ harvesting is organ harvesting regardless of guilt.

Aw, that's unfortunate. Ah well.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

tuyop posted:

Literally every colonist is a very drunk Robert Liston.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

endolithic posted:

This is probably my biggest frustration with the game right now, it's so ridiculous. C'mon Tynan, even people in the 19th century managed to install peg legs and eye patches without dying horribly, and everything in the 19th century made you die horribly!

If there was a mod that differentiated "simple" prostheses as far as success rate I'd download it in a heartbeat.

Edit: or even adjust surgical failures to be a ridiculously high infection rate, that would at least make sense.

The good news is that mod is so easy to make you could do it yourself! You need only edit some recipe XML.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So just did my first game, hunted a boomrat beside my base and burnt it down in the first couple days.

10/10, would recommend.

Decided to start over lol

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I learned two things today: one is that pyromaniacs are scum and shall be purged, and two, there is no mood penalty for having a drafted colonist force attack an prisoner to death (like the aforementioned pyromaniac) as opposed to actually ordering an proper execution. :commissar:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anyone have a mod for more easily breedable thrumbos?

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
Happy to report the game works fine on my mid-2012 retina macbook.

Tutorial was a good introduction to the game.

An unexpected heatwave before I'd realized I could set up power and air conditioning, caused severe heatstroke that killed off three of my four colonists.

Remaining one was so distraught over losing her lover and her friend that she kept almost having a mental break. Then a pod crashed and had a bunch of yayo on it.

Started having her do yayo every time she got depressed. Now she's addicted to yayo. Now researching yayo production to keep her high on yayo forever instead of dealing with withdrawal symptoms. Why not... first time playing...

Anyway, seems cool. Scratches that Crusader Kings 2 itch where the story you tell after the game is over is the big payoff.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The good news is that mod is so easy to make you could do it yourself! You need only edit some recipe XML.

Oh! Well, maybe I'll try doing that, then. Thanks!

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
and my yayo addict was just instantly crushed to death in a mining accident. problem solved. there isn't even a body...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Elth posted:

I wasn't kidding when I said Tynan left in failures like that because it happened in medieval times. He legit thinks that since some hicks who thought attaching leeches to your cock made you more virile would do things like that during 1100 AD that a space faring civilization should have the same medical understanding.