Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Played for about 4 hours yesterday after getting this for xmas. Played around with Scout a whole bunch.

Love the smle but still working out the sweet spot. Managed to get a few good flanks in and pick up four kills in quick succession. Whats the consensus best set up for mid-ish range sniping?

I pushed hard and capped objectives and used flares as much as possible. Heaps of fun. Racked up a lot of points loving around with medic throwing boxes down in chole point and rezing dead dudes.

Support seems a bit poo poo with nothing unlocked.

The SMLE is decent but has always felt kinda inconsistent to me. My favorite short to mid range rifle is the m95. It doesn't have a sweet spot but it has a straight bolt so it can fire relatively quickly for a bolt action. The m95 carbine is the rifle that got me to scout rank 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Live At Five! posted:

The SMLE is decent but has always felt kinda inconsistent to me. My favorite short to mid range rifle is the m95. It doesn't have a sweet spot but it has a straight bolt so it can fire relatively quickly for a bolt action. The m95 carbine is the rifle that got me to scout rank 10.

I'll check it out tonight, thanks.

What zeroing distance do you run around with? I was playing with 75 a lot unless i had a flag to gauge the distance and id change from there. 75 felt ok but it was a little tough at times to change on the fly based on what i thought they were at. I guess that's the point.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 28, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Trying to rack up mortar kills - so many maps are terrible for mortars. Amiens in particular, both TDM and conquest. Also turns out when I'm trying to do a thing and not just running around shooting mans, capping flags and nuking vehicles, I'm really loving terrible. Go figure.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

BlindSite posted:

What zeroing distance do you run around with? I was playing with 75 a lot unless i had a flag to gauge the distance and id change from there. 75 felt ok but it was a little tough at times to change on the fly based on what i thought they were at. I guess that's the point.

If you're going to be useful just use an infantry class and run iron sights or the short-range scope. You don't need to mess with zeroing distance with that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've gotten a service star with 25 different weapons/vehicles now. I'm currently working on the Kolibri baby pistol. I have 17 kills with it! 😊

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

I don't mess with zeroing distance at all. If you're shooting at people that far away you're not going to do anything and wasting your time. Use the infantry or optical/carbine version of rifles and play short range scout

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Infantry m95 is a beast. Stick with your team, pop flares and shoot who they do. You will clean up anything they can't take down easily.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
+1 on the Gewehr 95. I try other ironsights rifles, I want to love them, but I always come home to this one. I'm going to unlock the carbine variant next which looks (on paper) like it should be better yet can can't cycle out from 75m, but as I never mess with that on ironsights rifles sounds like it could be a straight win.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

An hour or more spent on lovely TDM and Amiens conquest maps to get 5 mortar kills, 10 minutes on Fao and I got the remaining 5.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Why bother? Is it a medal or something? Honestly you could have gotten way more xp than the medal gives if you just play normally. I've done one medal and it was because the game just bugged out and chose it for me. Medals suck and aren't worth the tiny amount of xp they give

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Live At Five! posted:

Why bother? Is it a medal or something? Honestly you could have gotten way more xp than the medal gives if you just play normally. I've done one medal and it was because the game just bugged out and chose it for me. Medals suck and aren't worth the tiny amount of xp they give

Yeah just medal chasing. I don't really like playing support so just getting this one out of the way. I want to get support to 10 to unlock the C93 pistol and chasing a medal is one way to get me to play it.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

https://gfycat.com/ThirstyLameIchthyostega
Sometimes you set up for one target and a better option presents itself.

Auxiliary Treats fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 14, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

In more medal chasing news, turret kills don't count towards "In a life, get 5 kills as support"

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Stop doing this to yourself. Be free my friend.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

Stop doing this to yourself. Be free my friend.

I did it. I am free, at last.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How many Xbox live clips can you edit into one montage with upload studio? I've been recording all my Kolibri kills because they are the most humiliating way to kill someone I've found so far. I want to make a montage of baby pistol kills.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
i've never really used the shotguns, i didn't realize they were easy mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhgc_BetRT0

there's a job opening in the zeppelin gunner seat, it's a part time position with a lot of turnover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjulXvOYdbI

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

winter.mute posted:

i've never really used the shotguns, i didn't realize they were easy mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhgc_BetRT0

there's a job opening in the zeppelin gunner seat, it's a part time position with a lot of turnover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjulXvOYdbI

That zeppelin run was pretty fuckin great.

I did not do well tonight, I'm convinced that being able to yell into the mic as loudly and frequently as I please is a critical component to my success.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the fact that you can't throw the limpets like a frisbee is a goddamn travesty

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Just busted a medal out in like four maps. 20 Repairs, 20 Heals and 20 reapplied or somesuch BS. I literally run the maps with wrench in hand so nbd. It was all squad level so had to look for green but it was fun!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Booger Presley posted:

Just busted a medal out in like four maps. 20 Repairs, 20 Heals and 20 reapplied or somesuch BS. I literally run the maps with wrench in hand so nbd. It was all squad level so had to look for green but it was fun!

Are the medals available different for each person every week? None of mine involve any of that

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vladimir Putt-Putt posted:

Are the medals available different for each person every week? None of mine involve any of that

Yeah it seems to be random. Probably to keep from having half of every team running around doing nothing but trying to get mortar kills or whatever the medal is.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Vladimir Putt-Putt posted:

Yes it is the ONLY thing that :dice: got right with medals. When they try to fix the other bad parts they will screw it up for sure.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Two of my medals involve squad suppression/assists/etc.

Been stuck on squad saviour for a bit because it's like corralling headless chickens. Group up, dipshits!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Pleads posted:

Two of my medals involve squad suppression/assists/etc.

Been stuck on squad saviour for a bit because it's like corralling headless chickens. Group up, dipshits!

Yeah I'm working on this one too. Just let your squad get shot at and then shoot the enemy! Gotta throw them in front of you.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I'm working on this one too. Just let your squad get shot at and then shoot the enemy! Gotta throw them in front of you.

Oh my! Those two people are fighting over there! Oh no! One of them has a knife! And... Is... Stabbing... My friend! I should do something, aaaaaany minute now... *pow* "heh, got your back partner" ;)

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm finishing up the third of three medals where I had to get multiple participation trophies by shooting around my enemies at a very specific time

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Finger Prince posted:

Oh my! Those two people are fighting over there! Oh no! One of them has a knife! And... Is... Stabbing... My friend! I should do something, aaaaaany minute now... *pow* "heh, got your back partner" ;)

The next part is actually squad avenging so it becomes funny because you're like 'oh no an enemy is coming for my squad mate, oh no... And he's dead. Well I shoot the enemy and avenged him. There was nothing I could do.'

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sorry Sk8, I've been working from home for the holiday, and my girlfriend just quit her job, so I haven't really had time to play lately. I suspect that after NYE I will have more time to play.

Family functions, work, visiting friends.

I'll be happy once the holidays are over.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Do medals stay with your account in any way or is it just points? I may actually get the blow up vehicles one (my fav thing)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Do medals stay with your account in any way or is it just points? I may actually get the blow up vehicles one (my fav thing)

They unlock special dog tags

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:allears:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I rock the Newtonian Order of Merit dog tag front side and Anti Tank Mines star on the back, just so there's no confusion as to what I'm about.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

that's the 97? That's an amazing drop you got on those guys haha they didn't stand a chance.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013

Beastie posted:

Sorry Sk8, I've been working from home for the holiday, and my girlfriend just quit her job, so I haven't really had time to play lately. I suspect that after NYE I will have more time to play.

Family functions, work, visiting friends.

I'll be happy once the holidays are over.

You're missing out on some amazing new pubbie stomping bestie

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I got the game a few days ago. I was surprised with how much of the single player campaign was available before the whole game downloaded; I got to the third tank mission before taking a break and I was sure I'd hit a wall after pretty much every cutscene. I played two multiplayer Operations but I'm still getting used to spotting enemies and being an effective killing machine coming from Blops 3 and Titanfall 2. Add me on PS4 (kittypoptart) so I have some goons to squad up with.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Another "I just got this game" goon chiming in. If anyone on xbone wants to play, hit me up, gamer tag japanime81.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Yet another scrub here. Xbone tag is ZombieAtak oA.
Never played with goons before. Be gentle.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Welcome New Players; Tips and Tricks to Be Not Terrible: A Handy Reference Guide

1. never use any gun that has the word factory in it's name. Factories are the tool of capitalist overlords to enslave the working class, and the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles

2. the best class is, in order: medic assault scout tanker pilot cavalry

3. the best map is the one in europe

4. america as a result is the weakest country to play as since they never receive their +5 combat strength bonus for fighting on their home continent

5. all praise to the almighty artillery truck