Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

It turned them into bizarre space god who may or may not have created us, possibly by accident, and now hate us or something but without ever explaining anything I just mentioned.

I don't think that's very bog standard.

The 'realism' complaint is always weird when it comes to science fiction, since virtually every sci fi movie, including all the classics, fall apart the second you start to think about them.

For instance, why is the Terminator, an infiltrator, a giant man with an accent that would be detectable from space?

~written by the mind behind Lost~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

It turned them into bizarre space god who may or may not have created us, possibly by accident, and now hate us or something but without ever explaining anything I just mentioned.

I think what he's getting at is that the entire derelict spaceship and space jockey in Alien is completely and utterly alien. It's unlike anything anyone has ever seen before and was almost Lovecraftian. In a short span of time it introduced a whole wealth of mysteries that were executed perfectly. To pull the curtain back and say it was basically a guy in a suit is pretty bog standard, yeah. It's why they should have left it a mystery.

The actual idea for the engineers themselves wasn't too bad and would have been better served by letting the story stand on its own without trying to shoehorn it into the Alien universe in the way that they did. Having some very loose threads to connect them would have been fine (the biomechanical body of the engineer and a better mural that doesn't look tacky would have been sufficient) but going as far as they did with the ships and suits etc. was a poor choice, in my opinion. They should have been their own separate race with their own mysteries and identity.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

It's why they should have left it a mystery.

Virtually everything about them was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As we get further away from it I think the look of the Engineers will stand the test of time a lot moreso than if they were just some elephant creature, which would have to be CGI and then you'd get a whole other set of complainers.

It's easy to sit here and say now that you wish the movie would have not elaborated on the Space Jockey at all, but that's basically what the entire thing was sold on. Had Scott copped-out and not shown any more of the Space Jockey the fan backlash would have been worse in my opinion.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

SUNKOS posted:

I think what he's getting at is that the entire derelict spaceship and space jockey in Alien is completely and utterly alien. It's unlike anything anyone has ever seen before and was almost Lovecraftian. In a short span of time it introduced a whole wealth of mysteries that were executed perfectly. To pull the curtain back and say it was basically a guy in a suit is pretty bog standard, yeah. It's why they should have left it a mystery.

The trouble is exactly this. It's like if in the Mountains of Madness had a sequel that was just the sentence "Never mind, they were just antarctic dudes."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You have it backwards. In Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness, the human characters are horrified to discover that an extinct species of winged alien crinoids is almost exactly the same as us. And we are exactly the same as them. They are our family: freakish evolutionary accidents like us.

Lovecraft's horror is not about incomprehensible aliens threatening humanity, except in the most abstract sense. It is about how humans are incomprehensible and alien to eachother - and to themselves.

So the unsympathetic 'bad' alien in Prometheus is a stone-faced man, while the loveable underdog is that fragile, mewling xenomorph.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

a foolish pianist posted:

The trouble is exactly this. It's like if in the Mountains of Madness had a sequel that was just the sentence "Never mind, they were just antarctic dudes."

I think what Scott ended up doing is very in-line with Giger's work, the biomechanical nature of everything related to the Engineers seems very Giger to me.

And At the Mountains of Madness explains everything that happened in pretty great detail. You just wanted the Space Jockey to be a specifically Lovecraftian creature, which is just an aesthetic preference, nothing to do with mystery or storytelling or whatever you're talking about.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Personally, I'd have preferred if the Wizard of Oz had stayed a giant floating head, rather than ruining the mystery by pulling back the curtain.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

Virtually everything about them was.

The guy's specifically talking about revealing the space jockey to just be a guy in a suit. You're also ignoring everything else in the film, such as the characters literally telling the audience what everything is.

Basebf555 posted:

It's easy to sit here and say now that you wish the movie would have not elaborated on the Space Jockey at all, but that's basically what the entire thing was sold on. Had Scott copped-out and not shown any more of the Space Jockey the fan backlash would have been worse in my opinion.

Yeah, they shouldn't have sold the movie on that premise and the intention of revealing all of that stuff. Take the cesarean section scene, for example. Originally that was going to be a chestburster removal because Ridley wanted to show someone surviving impregnation, but Fox execs demanded the film showed some new monsters instead so we got the trilobite which was much more interesting and made for a great climactic scene with the engineer. I remember everyone thinking the addition of the deacon at the end was a poor choice as well and would have been better left out of the movie altogether. Prometheus definitely suffered from trying too hard to tie into Alien and provide fanservice, rather than be a confident work that stood on its own. I think it might be the one example where a film would have benefited from more studio meddling.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think the marble statue men are cool and their weird organic elephant suits are also cool. I hope rumors that they appear on screen in Covenant are true.

There are some summaries of the footage that was screened earlier this month on most of the bigger film blogs now. They're a bit spoilery, but they give context to the scenes from the trailer and make it sound a lot better and less slasher-y than it did. There are some fairly elaborate action scenes which makes it sound like the Aliens to Prometheus' Alien (Further backed up by Waterson talking about her character being an action-movie heroine in a bunch of interviews).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm just sick as poo poo of humanoid aliens. When your budget is limited and all you can do is some forehead makeup or what ever, I get it, but we have the budget and hopefully the creativity for some actual alien looking aliens. I'm also sick as poo poo of scify plots where humans are "linked" to some grand design and are related or created by "ancients" of some sort. I loved the feeling in alien that we've stumbled onto something far more dangerous than we can deal with, that space is huge and ancient and we are absolutely nothing. Nope, we were created by aliens who look just like us, "and they have a plan"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Baronjutter posted:

I'm just sick as poo poo of humanoid aliens. When your budget is limited and all you can do is some forehead makeup or what ever, I get it, but we have the budget and hopefully the creativity for some actual alien looking aliens. I'm also sick as poo poo of scify plots where humans are "linked" to some grand design and are related or created by "ancients" of some sort. I loved the feeling in alien that we've stumbled onto something far more dangerous than we can deal with, that space is huge and ancient and we are absolutely nothing. Nope, we were created by aliens who look just like us, "and they have a plan"

The engineers don't look just like you. They're like ten feet tall with black eyes and metal suits fused into their skin.

Prometheus satirizes 'ancient alien' theories. One basic point of the movie is that the aliens don't have a grand design.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baronjutter posted:

I'm also sick as poo poo of scify plots where humans are "linked" to some grand design and are related or created by "ancients" of some sort.

Human's weren't part of a "grand design" so much as a mistake the engineers were embaressed about and all to eager to rectify.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

Human's weren't part of a "grand design" so much as a mistake the engineers were embaressed about and all to eager to rectify.

The movie goes out of its way to make it clear that the engineers deliberately created humanity. What gives you the impression that they did so by mistake and were somehow embarrassed by it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SUNKOS posted:

The movie goes out of its way to make it clear that the engineers deliberately created humanity. What gives you the impression that they did so by mistake and were somehow embarrassed by it?

They at some point, about 2000 years ago, decided to return to Earth and exterminate us. So they regretted our existence, which isn't quite the same as having created us by mistake but they decided later that it was one.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SUNKOS posted:

The main character literally yells that they were all wrong about there being a grand design.

It's even in the trailer.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SUNKOS posted:

The movie goes out of its way to make it clear that the engineers deliberately created humanity.

Well its never explained what they were doing on earth, so you cant say they deliberately created humanity. You don't know if that was an execution or something else. That's for the sequels to tell you.

Schwarzwald posted:

I sure hope he didn't attack earth to make us more interested in the movie. It's not like they use that trick all the time.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The main character literally yells that they were all wrong about there being a grand design.

No, that's Shaw saying "We were so wrong" with no reference to any grand design. The ritual at the beginning of the movie along with the various cave paintings indicating prior human/engineer contact made it abundantly clear that the creation was very much deliberate.

What Shaw is saying they were wrong about was interpreting those cave paintings as an invitation, because somewhere between then and the events of the movie something happened to make the engineers dislike humanity and want to eradicate it. The movie itself leaves this a mystery, with Shaw herself screaming "Why?!" at the last living engineer and the film ending with her insistence on traveling to their home world to find out why. The early drafts of the script (and silly Christmas references in the movie) reveal that the engineers turned on humanity because we crucified one of them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SUNKOS posted:

No, that's Shaw saying "We were so wrong" with no reference to any grand design.

When she says this its actually just the commentary track with Ridley Scott.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

No, that's Shaw saying "We were so wrong" with no reference to any grand design. The ritual at the beginning of the movie along with the various cave paintings indicating prior human/engineer contact made it abundantly clear that the creation was very much deliberate.

No. We see an out of context individual, and cave paintings that suggest the intervention was interpreted as deliberate by a bunch of primitive tribes.

quote:

What Shaw is saying they were wrong about was interpreting those cave paintings as an invitation, because somewhere between then and the events of the movie something happened to make the engineers dislike humanity and want to eradicate it. The movie itself leaves this a mystery, with Shaw herself screaming "Why?!" at the last living engineer and the film ending with her insistence on traveling to their home world to find out why. The early drafts of the script (and silly Christmas references in the movie) reveal that the engineers turned on humanity because we crucified one of them.

That it is also interpreted (explicitly wrongly) as an invitation should give you a reason to question whether the assumptions of those primitive tribes were correct.

Even if it is deliberate, that leaves, well, everything else about the engineers and their motivations a mystery.

You're the first person I've encountered who thinks the film explained too much.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 28, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SUNKOS posted:

The opening scene doesn't take place on Earth.

And none of the paintings or carvings shown depict a creation story.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 28, 2016

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tenzarin posted:

When she says this its actually just the commentary track with Ridley Scott.

SMG said this:

I pointed out that Shaw doesn't reference any grand design, and instead merely says "We were so wrong" which as SMG pointed out is in the trailer, at 1:45.

The opening scene doesn't take place on Earth.

And none of the paintings or carvings shown depict a creation story.

Nobody is saying that the cave paintings depict a creation story. What makes you think that the opening scene doesn't take place on Earth?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SUNKOS posted:

Nobody is saying that the cave paintings depict a creation story. What makes you think that the opening scene doesn't take place on Earth?

The scene with David and the star map implies that the whatever the Engineers have done on Earth they've also done in a lot of other places. The fact that they wanted to kill us says to me that we're more of an unintended anomaly, but that's just my personal speculation. None of that is explained in the movie, which was the original point of the discussion.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
What do you think she was "so wrong" about then? What thesis is she saying is incorrect?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SUNKOS posted:

SMG said this:

I pointed out that Shaw doesn't reference any grand design, and instead merely says "We were so wrong" which as SMG pointed out is in the trailer, at 1:45.

For what it's worth, Ridley Scott has said that the opening scene may or may not be Earth, it's intentionally ambiguous.

If it's not Earth, it introduces the idea that "humans" could possibly be elsewhere in the galaxy, wholly unaware that "Earth" exists.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Xenomrph posted:

For what it's worth, Ridley Scott has said that the opening scene may or may not be Earth, it's intentionally ambiguous.

If it's not Earth, it introduces the idea that "humans" could possibly be elsewhere in the galaxy, wholly unaware that "Earth" exists.

They are, but low gravity stretched their bodies to impossible gracility, the alien environment heightened their senses and the uh.... they're felinoid cuz those particular Engineers were just kinda hosed up I guess :science:

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
That the Engineers created humanity still doesn't necessarily suggest a grand design. The fact they were destroyed by another one of their creations more strongly implies that they did poo poo just because they could and never paid any mind to consequences. It's a movie about wanting to meet God and when you do he RKO's you.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

That's a good point, actually. It's this interview:

quote:

Movies.com: Do you worry that you’ve lost the element of surprise that worked to your advantage with the original Alien? By now, we’ve seen numerous movies in the Alien universe, and like it or not, audiences are coming in with an expectation that deflates tension and suspense. Did you feel the need to pull the audience in to the story in a different fashion this time?

RS: I was hoping I had with the fact that you have a sequence at the beginning of the film that is fundamentally creation. It’s a donation, in the sense that the weight and the construction of the DNA of those aliens is way beyond what we can possibly imagine …

Movies.com: That is our planet, right?

RS: No, it doesn’t have to be. That could be anywhere. That could be a planet anywhere. All he’s doing is acting as a gardener in space. And the plant life, in fact, is the disintegration of himself. If you parallel that idea with other sacrificial elements in history – which are clearly illustrated with the Mayans and the Incas – he would live for one year as a prince, and at the end of that year, he would be taken and donated to the gods in hopes of improving what might happen next year, be it with crops or weather, etcetera.

Movies.com: You throw religion and spirituality into the equation for Prometheus, though, and it almost acts as a hand grenade. We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

RS: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, “Lets’ send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it. Guess what? They crucified him.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Detective Dog Dick posted:

That the Engineers created humanity still doesn't necessarily suggest a grand design. The fact they were destroyed by another one of their creations more strongly implies that they did poo poo just because they could and never paid any mind to consequences. It's a movie about wanting to meet God and when you do he RKO's you.

David: Why do you think your people made me?
Holloway: We made you because we could.
David: Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?

Snowman_McK posted:

Exactly. Or, if you really wanted to pick a human shape, Luke Wilson would make way more sense. A dude you would never look at twice without being forced to.

This is a pretty good argument for the casting of World's Most Generic Actor in Salvation

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Pretty sure Dr. Hollaway unintentionally explains why the Engineers made them when he is talking to David.

"Why did your people make me?"

"Because we can."

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Ah, it's been a while since I watched it and I forgot about that exchange.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rewatch the movie and pay attention to David: he's the key to the entire movie.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That was one of my favorite parts of the movie. It was such a, "...What if he's right?" moment that I took a little bit to really think about it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Party Boat posted:

David: Why do you think your people made me?
Holloway: We made you because we could.
David: Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?

This is the best exchange in the movie. It's why both David and Shaw survive. Everyone who expects clear answers or thinks they're in control dies in horrifying, frequently ironic ways. David knows the answer, and knows how disappointing it is, and can accept that. Thus, he survives. Shaw accepts her own ignorance, she understands that the journey and the faith is requires is important. Thus, she survives.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

David survives because he's a robot.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love when he gets permission from Holloway to experiment on him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

oldpainless posted:

David survives because he's a robot.

Great avatar/post combo. I imagine the Rock has a similar sense for symbolism to Ron Swanson.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Snowman_McK posted:

Mysterious god-like precursor race who may or may-not have created us is like the most common thing in mediocre fantasy and sci fi.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Catfishenfuego posted:

Mysterious god-like precursor race who may or may-not have created us is like the most common thing in mediocre fantasy and sci fi.

Actually, no. The ones who definitely did is absolutely a cliche.

'Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, maybe you shouldn't expect clear answers from god, because he probably doesn't think about you very often' is less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MacheteZombie posted:

I love when he gets permission from Holloway to experiment on him.

This was so good.

I didn't mind them looking like huge pale guys because that and the opening and Shaw's the vaguely floated concept of Jesus being an astronaut makes them fit into Norse and Greco-Roman and Christian mythology simultaneously which is cool because it gives Shaw a reason to fall into the ancient aliens guided us bullshit. But the elephant like head being a pilot's helmet+mask and the whole thing being a bio-organic suit was always what Scott had in mind. He talks about it a bit on the commentary track on the Quadrilogy and IIRC that commentary was recorded years earlier for an even earlier release of the movie. I also like that the one seen at the end does have like a line of mechanicalish stuff down the back for the suit to connect to, so the engineer sure as heck is bio-mechanical itself.

Scott did something sort of similar in Blade Runner, an awesome detail though I can understand why it wasn't mentioned in the movie with the direction the story goes:

All the tattoos and marks on him are where the powered armor he's fitted with when going into battle plugs into his body.