Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

deadgoon posted:

christianity is cool! the messiah is not going to save the world, is in fact dead, and your faith should now lie with the community of believers who are enacting the kingdom of heaven on earth. "the kingdom of heaven" is another way of saying "the dictatorship of the proletariat".

The Kingfish posted:

No, it's good.

Look at these plebs who have never seen an obscure fundamentalist propaganda film! :smug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taYThk1FX2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Generally you can spot a fascist by how much they talk about degenerates, or subhumans.

Soviet era politicians liked nothing better than rallying the masses against deviants and degenerates.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruzihm posted:

also

free speech is good, and speech used to perpetuate oppression is not free

I hate anti-moderates because it spreads the idea that compromise is impossible and not worth bothering with, which isn't true in most cases

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Sure but compromise being the goal and extent of your ideology is stupid as hell

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I guess you could say the answer is somewhere in the middle :unsmigghh:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

lancemantis posted:

I guess you could say the answer is somewhere in the middle :unsmigghh:

:vince:

But yea pretty much

Breadallelogram posted:

Sure but compromise being the goal and extent of your ideology is stupid as hell

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
absolutism tends to be pretty dumb and when your absolutism is with respect to ~compromise~ its like some even more dumb 3rd position

Serf
May 5, 2011

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Serf posted:

Sith have taken over the galaxy multiple times over, where as the Jedi have been and will always be the Republic's bottom bitch.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KOTOR 2 should have had an ending where you kill the Force

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Compromising on the concept of compromise. poo poo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
absolutism is usually a bad idea but sometimes something is just so goddamn evil that you have to make a hardline stance

everything in moderation, including moderation

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
what kind of unscientific platitudes are we suddenly trading in now. god drat.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

The German Ideology posted:

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

KOTOR 2 should have had an ending where you kill the Force

Revan did nothing wrong

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Republicans say block 100℅ of abortions. Leftists say block 0℅ of abortions. The dialectical answer is clearly to order doctors to arbitrarily deny every other woman who comes in for an abortion.

*Alienates his base*

*Loses election to orange Benito*

At least I got poo poo done.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

DrProsek posted:

Republicans say block 100℅ of abortions. Leftists say block 0℅ of abortions. The dialectical answer is clearly to order doctors to arbitrarily deny every other woman who comes in for an abortion.

*Alienates his base*

I don't get it, what does this have to do with Mandalore

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you aborted Palpatine ...

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dreddout posted:

I don't get it, what does this have to do with Mandalore

What I'm getting at is the Republic's attempts at meeting the Separatists in the middle prolonged the war and gave the Republic a need for Clone Troopers. If the Republic had applied a Shock and Awe strategy on issues like abortion and general trade federation fuckery, the war would have ended in a week.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreddout posted:

Revan did nothing wrong

Kreia was right

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Kreia was right

unironically this

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

unironically this

:same:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What are some good books to feature Space Communism?

It's pretty funny to think about how many great works of sci-fi feature the most awesome imaginable power, the ability to go faster than light and therefore reverse causality itself, while sticking to existing understandings of property relations.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
From my point of view the jedi are evil.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

DrProsek posted:

*Alienates his base*

Literally this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0aNxzF7MAk

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 28, 2016

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

It's pretty funny to think about how many great works of sci-fi feature the most awesome imaginable power, the ability to go faster than light and therefore reverse causality itself, while sticking to existing understandings of property relations.

Isn't this the Culture series

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin.

Noble Space Communists fighting against Space!USSR and SPACE!USA

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's a bit of an side-dish in a broader meal of madness, but one of the early, near-future chapters of Accelerando hinges around a communist party politician realizing that computers had advanced to the point that a sufficiently good autonomous expert system could run a command economy that would thrive in a broader capitalist context.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
ken macleod is a trot with ancap sympathies and most of his novels are about trots and ancaps getting up to some poo poo

he is (was) also friends with iain m banks

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Culture series of books are good, imo. The Strugatsky Brothers also did some speculative fiction about space communism. Hard to be a God is considered an all-time classic, but it's not actually set in space communist utopia.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The War Nerd podcast had a good pay episode recently about why sci-fi is so fash

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Kreia was right

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The War Nerd podcast had a good pay episode recently about why sci-fi is so fash

:hfive: Radio War Nerd is essential listening

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Isn't this the Culture series

sort of but like half the books are exploring the ethics of postcolonial liberal interference in the third world

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Serf posted:

but this statement is itself an absolute!<>!!

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

obi wan you loving IDIOT

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Anybody read The Three-Body Problem? Involves both space and communism, as I understand it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Michael Bayleaf posted:

From my point of view the jedi are evil.

they are, yes

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

i'm not going to buy the episode, why is sci fi fash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also i think sci-fi is at least better than fantasy about it, which is like full on ignore reality mode