Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

you're lifting it wrong

ya think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

lmao i've been lifting amateurly for 2 years and i barely feel different and people are complaining about too much gains

:rip: me

lift more, eat twice as much as you think you need if you're a skinny nerd who "can't gain weight"

always be increasing something every workout. if you can't go heavier add sets and reps. get a spotter so that your dumb animal brain doesn't chicken out on giving 100% effort. if you don't feel safe you absolutely won't be able to push your limits. my bench stalled for years until i suppressed my anxiety of men enough to tolerate a spotter and then it rapidly gained like 200 pounds in a year. before that i was the stereotypical goon lifter deadlifting 500 and benching 135 lol.

learn from the knowledge i amassed doing an activity i came to regret due to injuries and intensified dysphoria :suicide:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I wish I hadn't picked an apartment building that has a gym in it because it's making me sufficiently complacent to not track down an actual gym. the one in my apartment building isn't terrible, but I'm really starting to feel the things it's missing

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lift more, eat twice as much as you think you need if you're a skinny nerd who "can't gain weight"

always be increasing something every workout. if you can't go heavier add sets and reps. get a spotter so that your dumb animal brain doesn't chicken out on giving 100% effort. if you don't feel safe you absolutely won't be able to push your limits. my bench stalled for years until i suppressed my anxiety of men enough to tolerate a spotter and then it rapidly gained like 200 pounds in a year. before that i was the stereotypical goon lifter deadlifting 500 and benching 135 lol.

learn from the knowledge i amassed doing an activity i came to regret due to injuries and intensified dysphoria :suicide:

im actually the lardlord type of nerd and need to eat a deficit just to not feel like im blowing up like a greasy ugly balloon

Elysiume posted:

I wish I hadn't picked an apartment building that has a gym in it because it's making me sufficiently complacent to not track down an actual gym. the one in my apartment building isn't terrible, but I'm really starting to feel the things it's missing

ugh so this is an issue too? it's still going to be a long time before i outgrow mine and am good enough for a real gym

onward...

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you exercise

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I hosed up my shoulders benching and I don't recommend that course of action! Lift a weight correctly tho

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

im actually the lardlord type of nerd and need to eat a deficit just to not feel like im blowing up like a greasy ugly balloon

ugh so this is an issue too? it's still going to be a long time before i outgrow mine and am good enough for a real gym

onward...

well in that case stop worrying about gains so much. losing weight is your gains. as long as youre not getting actively weaker that is good enough while trying to lose weight. trying to do both at once is just going to end in frustration unless you are on good gear or you are tremendously disciplined with building your diet around getting precise nutrition within your allotted calories. if youre just trying to be healthier focus on getting to a healthy weight and maintaining it a while before worrying about getting super strong.

good luck!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Foo posted:

I hosed up my shoulders benching and I don't recommend that course of action! Lift a weight correctly tho

same. my left shoulder is super hosed. ive been doing a lot of yoga of late and its really revealing to me how much of a number i did on my hip and shoulders over the years. i think weightlifting was honest-to-god worse on my shoulders than all the jiu-jitsu and mma poo poo i did.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mishaq posted:

lol if you exercise

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

onward...

Adjust your diet, less carbs more protein

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this thread took a goony turn

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

same. my left shoulder is super hosed. ive been doing a lot of yoga of late and its really revealing to me how much of a number i did on my hip and shoulders over the years. i think weightlifting was honest-to-god worse on my shoulders than all the jiu-jitsu and mma poo poo i did.

I need to do that yoga but I can't get motivated to do it! I tore my rotator cuff (not badly) playing rugby, but that bad tackle was likely just the straw that broke the camel's back

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

this thread took a goony turn

Please work out you're interviewer

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lol at benching

cardio every day *flicks clif bar wrapper at u on mile 70 of a daily ride*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

well in that case stop worrying about gains so much. losing weight is your gains. as long as youre not getting actively weaker that is good enough while trying to lose weight. trying to do both at once is just going to end in frustration unless you are on good gear or you are tremendously disciplined with building your diet around getting precise nutrition within your allotted calories. if youre just trying to be healthier focus on getting to a healthy weight and maintaining it a while before worrying about getting super strong.

good luck!

and this is where it gets iffy because i just don't know when i need to make the transition. people say im skinny but all i see when i look in the mirror is miles and miles of fat

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Captain Foo posted:

Please work out you're interviewer

I actually used my running in an interview a few weeks ago, but I related it back to how it's increased my dedication, my ability to set a goal and reach it through hard work, and sticking things out even when they're tough.

there, thread back on track

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

and this is where it gets iffy because i just don't know when i need to make the transition. people say im skinny but all i see when i look in the mirror is miles and miles of fat

maybe talk to like a dietician and personal trainer and get their input on where you're at and where you need to go. both types of people will probably offer free initial consults even if your insurance doesn't cover ancillary services like that.

but i hear you. it is really hard, after years of having a terrible self-image, to see an objective evaluation of yourself. like, believe me, i have lived that experience in more ways than one. you said youre working out solo so you probably have nobody giving you good feedback and you need to work on getting feedback from a source you trust to be accurate and objective. if you don't trust your friends, then a fitness/health professional who can give you an objective view on where you're at could help you a lot.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

lmao i've been lifting amateurly for 2 years and i barely feel different and people are complaining about too much gains

:rip: me

i lift amaterurly and the fuckers in watch and weight told me my strength gains were lame for someone who has been doing it for as long as me, BUT I am also miles stronger than I used to be and visibly muisclier too

and mates.. get on tinder and snapchat.. the ladies will respond well and give your ego a boost. remember most people are average and youre probably above average.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i always enjoy seeing a new person on a job site that obviously weightlifts

they universally have zero stamina and crap out after a few hours of real work and rarely turn back up the next day, never for a third

i'll take a guy with a beer belly who can put in a day's labor over a gym rat any day of the week

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I;m thinking about thos Interviews

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

posting here because

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i put in a days labour in the computer mines and boy are my arms tired

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

echinopsis posted:

and mates.. get on tinder and snapchat.. the ladies will respond well and give your ego a boost. remember most people are average and youre probably above average.

we're talking about salary, not physical fitness, right?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
dick size obv :heysexy:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

mishaq posted:

lol if you exercise

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

carry on then posted:

Post a pic. I will decide.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
sometimes I see people running on the trail in jeans and a belt and I am just ???

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
lol i figured out that the government agency job im in the shortlist for has a lovely salary like the kind of salary i had 5 years ago

that was a waste of time and a plane ticket

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

just interviewed a guy for a entry level position who is so not entry level.

also it was a 9 am interview which is just the worst.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
don't worry the economy is great

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elder Postsman posted:

just interviewed a guy for a entry level position who is so not entry level.

also it was a 9 am interview which is just the worst.

im the entry level job that requires a PhD and 3+ years or a MS and 5+ years

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My last interview was me shooting the poo poo with the CEO for 2 hours over the phone. It was supposed to be a 15-minute phone interview but he likes to talk a ton.
I emailed him some suggestions for processors afterward for the product we talked about, and he emailed me back asking about how much I want to be paid.

That was 2 years ago; I like my job.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my last job interview was 8 hours, spending a fair chunk of it arguing about the definitions of zf set theory with the ceo, and never getting reimbursed for the flights i needed to take to get to it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you book your own interview travel

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Raluek posted:

im the entry level job that requires a PhD and 3+ years or a MS and 5+ years

nah the job listing says 1 to 3 years and BS or equivalent experience, this guy had 10+. idk why HR even gave him to us to interview.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bloody posted:

lol if you book your own interview travel

don't trust people to get me a sane flight if i leave it up to them. also in this case it may have been for the best to have that red flag to dissuade me from taking the job v:shobon:v

they had a pretty drat crazy product though, so that part could have been fun. p. sure the company is more or less out of business now though

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
So... Hypothetically I have been doing (relatively technical) qa at this company for ~2 years.

I've wrangled a junior dev position out of it starting in January

How long to stick it out for xp before trying for a non junior role somewhere else?

There are fundamental problems here that... Won't (Probably could, but lol, no) be fixed

Also gin, lol

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

1.5 to 3 years, maybe less if you network well and/or are practicing for interviews so you can come across as non-junior

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
double down on networking
it's much easier to gloss over your experience if you're being recommended by an employee/a manager directly and your interview with HR is only a formality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
pretty similar to my thoughts, good to know

I've been building personal good will with the devs here for some time, and this company will probably start bleeding devs fairly soon, so I expect in a year or so without even trying too hard externally I'll have a half deece network

• Locked thread