Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nathilus posted:

Stable ia a pretty good thing to be after a heart attack. It made me hold out some hope. Don't do shitload of blow in the 70s, kids!

She had a massive heart attack, had no heartbeat, and had CPR performed for 10 minutes before paramedics got there. The percentage of people who have a heart attack outside of a hospital setting, receive CPR, and survive to be discharged is in the area of 10%. The percentage of people who survive without long-lasting health impacts is in the low single digits.

That's not insignificant, those are about double the chances of people who *don't* receive bystander CPR. But "stable" after a heart attack that you had outside of a hospital which turned out your lights until someone turned them back on with CPR is still pretty much a death sentence in twelve systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Slime posted:

Uh, yeah. He's called Jesus Christ you loving heathen.

Quoting because this really should be on this particular page.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

DavidAlltheTime posted:

That's the old number. "2016" is the new number of The Beast.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Ah, the hex number

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Get evil.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving hell, it seems that people were bored with fighting over crazy bargains in the Boxing Day sales and just went straight into regular ol' brawling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltj4ywAyp8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLlEP1K-KL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=266JD8AaD1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ld60jPqR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZl2KVefoI

The police had to lock down one entire mall and once calm was restored they evacuated it store by store.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Sounds like they just misunderstood the concept of Boxing Day.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Chichevache posted:

Sounds like they just misunderstood the concept of Boxing Day.

Should just rename it to WWE Day and leave it at that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is my new favorite prank. I may go buy a chainsaw.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is my new favorite prank. I may go buy a chainsaw.

It's really important you remove the chain before you attempt it.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Or just yell "It's a prank!" over and over, which is less work.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Can you be unstable and dead?
Yes, that's when it's time to call a priest.
That's some classic America's Funniest Home Videos style material.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VanSandman posted:

That's bad for the chainsaw though!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's bad for the chainsaw though!

This kills the chainsaw.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
http://i.imgur.com/9JijtYT.gifv

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

ajkalan posted:

Ah, the hex number

I appreciated this.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Phanatic posted:

She had a massive heart attack, had no heartbeat, and had CPR performed for 10 minutes before paramedics got there. The percentage of people who have a heart attack outside of a hospital setting, receive CPR, and survive to be discharged is in the area of 10%. The percentage of people who survive without long-lasting health impacts is in the low single digits.

That's not insignificant, those are about double the chances of people who *don't* receive bystander CPR. But "stable" after a heart attack that you had outside of a hospital which turned out your lights until someone turned them back on with CPR is still pretty much a death sentence in twelve systems.

The real sad part about this it all happened on a plane. People did what they could, but it wasn't enough without major intervention. In the time it took the plane to land, she could have pretty much been picked up by an ambulance, rushed to surgery and possibly be recovering as opposed to dead.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that medical emergencies on planes kill more people than crashes on a year-to-year basis...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

acejackson42 posted:

The real sad part about this it all happened on a plane. People did what they could, but it wasn't enough without major intervention. In the time it took the plane to land, she could have pretty much been picked up by an ambulance, rushed to surgery and possibly be recovering as opposed to dead.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that medical emergencies on planes kill more people than crashes on a year-to-year basis...

Official NHI research: about one medical emergency per 20.000 passengers per year, with 8-10% serious enough to warrant diverting the plane and 0,8-1,0% resulting in death, so about 1 death per 200.000 passengers.

Meanwhile, plane crashes kill approx. 1.000 people per year, which considering that there are 3 billion passengers flying each year means 1 death per 3.000.000 passengers.

i.e.: you are fifteen times more likely to die from an in-flight medical emergency that you are from a plane crash.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

acejackson42 posted:

Is a plane any better than if she was at home alone or driving somewhere in the country? It seems like the window for these heart attacks is so short that you almost have to be at the hospital to have a chance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mikl posted:

i.e.: you are fifteen times more likely to die from an in-flight medical emergency that you are from a plane crash.

Now break it down into demographics.

If you’re old you’re way more likely to die to an in‐flight medical emergency than to a crash.

If you’re young, you might still be more likely to die in a medical emergency than a crash, but not by much.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubWDQ-IRKJU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

It's like he realized it was being peeled and just strived to get all the way through.

It did look awesome.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nathilus posted:

Stable ia a pretty good thing to be after a heart attack. It made me hold out some hope. Don't do shitload of blow in the 70s, kids!

This is why I wish people would stop using and reporting stable as a condition because without more information, it's utterly meaningless but it doesn't stop people from drawing conclusions that aren't there

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I've figured it out. I know how we can avoid any more of these types of accidents - have the driver sit as high as the highest point of the vehicle.

Like a container straddle carrier:

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Dec 28, 2016

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've figured it out. I know how we can avoid any more of these types of accidents - have the driver sit as high as the highest point of the vehicle.

You think that will stop people from taking their own scalp off with that bridge? I doubt that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It will stop them doing it twice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

How terrifying are these things to drive?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ah, the giraffe of the shipping industry. So majestic.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Phanatic posted:

Never tell me the odds

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That clip at 2:30 :stare:
(Thumbnail is unrelated to content)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zratvmREQvc

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

I was under the impression your chances improved significantly if you got to the hospital alive. Granted, going from a 2% survival to a 10% survival is 500% improvement so yeah they're still suck odds.

The 10 minutes without breathing was probably the kicker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That clip at 2:30 :stare:
(Thumbnail is unrelated to content)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zratvmREQvc

Sorry 3:45 guy, the Сука is you Ю

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

To hell with this poo poo year taking my childhood hero before it's time ran out.
Also, page 666, hail Gay Satin etc

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

To hell with this poo poo year taking my childhood hero before it's time ran out.

Your childhood hero wasn't as cool as Han Solo.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Han Solo hasn't been cool since April 3, 2012.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I was like 90% sure all planes are now equiped with AED devices. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was what was used on her because that's probably what gave her that extra time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

You liked George Michael that much?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I was like 90% sure all planes are now equiped with AED devices. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was what was used on her because that's probably what gave her that extra time.

My understanding was her heart actually stopped beating.

AED doesn't help if the heart stops. It's to correct arrhythmia, it cannot start a heart that has stopped beating. No defibrillator can.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Your childhood hero wasn't as cool as Han Solo.

Look at this goon poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I wonder why Harrison Ford hates talking about Star Wars?