Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is the Sceptre brand one of those cheapos that should be avoided? They seem to pop up at Walmart a lot but Wikipedia says the company has been around since 1993.

Are they a cheapo brand yes. Should you avoid them, depends on what you want out of a tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
bull or anyone else, what settings are you guys using for SDR mode and also for HDR mode on the C6P? I just upgraded to one from a KS8500 and the only thing I haven't liked so far is a few artifacts/jitters with UHD playback but I'm sure it's something with the settings. Throw me on the "wow this is amazingly good picture" bandwagon with the OLED TVs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What are you using for UHD playback? If it's the Xbone, it does that to me too and I'm pretty sure it's the player and not the TV and there's nothing you can do about it.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

EL BROMANCE posted:

What are you using for UHD playback? If it's the Xbone, it does that to me too and I'm pretty sure it's the player and not the TV and there's nothing you can do about it.

Yup, an Xbone. We watched The Shallows in its entirety and then demoed The Martian and The Revenant and we did not get any artifacts or jitters so I'm not sure what to make of it now. Still curious about HDR settings - I've got it set to HDR Standard - user, OLED 100, Brightness 51, Contrast 100, Sharpness 0, Color 50, Warm 2, Wide color gamut, then I've turned off any extra processing like dynamic contrast, noise reduction, true motion, etc. It looks good to me despite some other sites/posts not suggesting cranking up OLED to 100 (which seems to be the only logical way to do it but I could be wrong and that's why I'm asking) and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything else. I have not done any sort of color calibration yet.

As far as SDR it's pretty similar except the OLED is variant depending on daytime/nighttime viewing, brightness lower, contrast lower, and then I'm using gamma BT.1886. Also looking for clarification on if I should turn on any sort of the digital enhancements for my cable box or just leave them all off like I do now. Mainly watching football and hockey but then it's also used for kid channels/HGTV/food network/teen mom aside from my own viewing habits (ok sometimes I'm stuck watching with them haha).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I run very similar settings - OLED and contrast up high. In fact, some HDR modes lock you into a 100 OLED setting regardless (usually then inbuilt apps). I veered away from the warm tones and tend to be cold or neutral these days.

Also there's believed to be a bug in the wcg setting on my set (the 2015 model) where it oversaturates the image, so I've left that off. I imagine it's fixed on the 2016s.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have an external hard drive full of movies we want to use with my parents' new LG OLED55B6P. I want a good clean interface that fetches movie posters, etc. for it. It was my understanding that Plex was a good solution for this but apparently it's for network streaming only and won't work with a drive connected directly to the TV via USB, and I don't think it works with devices hooked directly up to routers either. The LG interface kind of sucks. Is there an app that does this better?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If all you have to play back the files is the TV, then you are kinda limited to what the TV provides.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just use a cheap server and get Plex or Kodi installed. It's exactly what you want and my setup is pretty maintenance free.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I didn't notice a thread, maybe I didn't look hard enough or there isn't one but I just ordered a new Samsung 55" 4K TV and want to get a 4K blu-ray player. Is the Xbox One S a good 4K player and does it support Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA (I don't care about Dolby Atmos or DTS:X), would I be better getting the Samsung UDB-8500 or wait another little while for more selection in the 4K blu-ray player market? The Samsung UBD-8500 is on sale for $300CAD and the Xbox One S is on sale for $330CAD and comes with 5 games, I don't game much but for an extra $30 I'd get it if it's any good.

Thanks

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sellouts posted:

Just use a cheap server and get Plex or Kodi installed. It's exactly what you want and my setup is pretty maintenance free.
Yeah but its a little absurd to buy and run a server and stream over the network as opposed to a direct USB connection purely for the reason that I want a better UI.

bull3964 posted:

If all you have to play back the files is the TV, then you are kinda limited to what the TV provides.
Right, but it's a smart LG OLED® with Apps™so I am wondering if there is an App that does this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 28, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's only like, a single page of apps in the app store. There isn't an alternate media player.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah but its a little absurd to buy and run a server and stream over the network as opposed to a direct USB connection purely for the reason that I want a better UI.

Right, but it's a smart LG OLED® with Apps™so I am wondering if there is an App that does this.

Yeah not really. You want a system to manage a library and catalog it and snag metadata and not just view a directory of files. It can easily be run on a raspberry pi or whatever you have lying around and total buy in cost is less than 10% of the cost of the tv.

The app available is the client. The TV owns. Hope you find a solution that works.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So, just to get posters and metadata for the videos I can already play on my brand new $2,000 TV via USB, I need to either purchase a complete always-on network server solution or a separate device that will otherwise duplicate features the TV already has but without 4k/HDR support? That is loving stupid.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TV companies have less than no interest in supporting people playing pirated media, and they probably all have business relationships with the streaming companies whose platforms they support.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You also get the added benefit of mobile and multi device streaming for your pirated 10 bit 4K anime titties.

Throwing a hissy fit is pretty stupid too my man.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the video playback functions on the TV are built to playback your 4k home videos not to provide a front end to your torrent vault.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's just surprising that no one has developed an app for it already considering it's far less complicated than Plex.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a closed ecosystem. No one is writing apps for it except content providers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So, just to get posters and metadata for the videos I can already play on my brand new $2,000 TV via USB, I need to either purchase a complete always-on network server solution or a separate device that will otherwise duplicate features the TV already has but without 4k/HDR support? That is loving stupid.

Isn't it your parents tv though?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
TV vendors should have something similar to Apple Carplay/Android Auto, plug in your smartphone/tablet via USB (or better yet, wireless) and it takes over the app so we don't have to use their lovely built in crap. Car manufacturers figured out people don't want their lovely QNX based poo poo why can't TV manufacturers?

Probably because they'd have to work with their competitors etc I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are enough good streamers on the market right now that no one wants to do that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It's a closed ecosystem. No one is writing apps for it except content providers.
It does have an SDK and an app submission process. Although I can't imagine LG webOS TV's alone are much of a market.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe it's time for you to learn to develop for WebOS.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Alternatively you can get an Nvidia Shield TV and put Kodi on it or something.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
It doesn't do HDR, but the new Amazon Fire TV will output in 4K and you can load Kodi on that

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Alternatively the Amazon app on the LG OLED works wonderfully and does 4K HDR.

Are people really using Kodi or Plex to stream downloaded 4K movies? I didn't know that was a thing yet.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

sellouts posted:

Are people really using Kodi or Plex to stream downloaded 4K movies? I didn't know that was a thing yet.

4k tv shows started showing up early this year. 4k movies late this year. However file sizes are generally prohibitive so you're still better off using 4k streaming services even if the stream quality may be worse than the quality of the :filez:. You don't get HDR from plex/kodi either to my knowledge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've noticed a huge chunk of the back catalog of UHD had been dumped and floating around as 60-100gb x265 file sets. I'm gonna guess it's done via capture hardware rather than direct rips, or have the keys been busted and I've not heard about it?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've noticed a huge chunk of the back catalog of UHD had been dumped and floating around as 60-100gb x265 file sets. I'm gonna guess it's done via capture hardware rather than direct rips, or have the keys been busted and I've not heard about it?

It's mostly capture hardware and well netflix and amazon stuff. They busted/just did capture hardware for amazon and netflix 4k stuff awhile ago.

edit: Yeah 4k online is going to be WEB (amazon/netflix) Capture hardware from a UHD disc but not a direct rip, or there's the off chance someone in russia got a hold of the masters and just put those online but that's rare.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 28, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
*whispers* 4K and HDR don't really matter anyway even if your TV supports them *hides*

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

HDR'll be nice whenever cable starts supporting it.

..Oh you're dropping everything to 720p instead Comcast? Well that's just wonderful. You got rid of all the 1080i channels and replaced them with 720p when changing over to mpeg4. Great...

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Can Plex even handle 4k film bitrates? Most of the time I try to play an uncompressed Blu-ray rip it'll hang up and I'll have to transcode it to 20 Mbps (down from 30+). I'm not exactly sure where the bottleneck is that's causing this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

havenwaters posted:

It's mostly capture hardware and well netflix and amazon stuff. They busted/just did capture hardware for amazon and netflix 4k stuff awhile ago.

edit: Yeah 4k online is going to be WEB (amazon/netflix) Capture hardware from a UHD disc but not a direct rip, or there's the off chance someone in russia got a hold of the masters and just put those online but that's rare.

Yeah that's what I presumed. I've seen Netflix stuff go by for months, but not so much disc sourced things until this recent splurge.

It's quite funny that it's actually easier to do 4K legitimately than via piracy, when usually it's been the other way around.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They're trying to get out ahead of it this time, I guess. Netflix has been requiring shows that sign with them to film in 4K for at least a year I think.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

Can Plex even handle 4k film bitrates? Most of the time I try to play an uncompressed Blu-ray rip it'll hang up and I'll have to transcode it to 20 Mbps (down from 30+). I'm not exactly sure where the bottleneck is that's causing this.

Yeah I dunno.

I have my NAS connected via 1000mbit wired to my Mac Mini which has an SSD in it, but I'm pretty sure it can't output 4k anyways so that'll be the hold up for me.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
loving hell guys oled has ruined me forever. I bought one for our living room a year ago and I got an "office" and went with a 4K vizio m for it and I can't watch it. Everything even in 4K looks like washed out trash compared to the 1080p oled in the living room, but there's no way I can justify another tv purchase this soon. Help me with my despair and dread friends.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Ordered a 50 inch Samsung 6300 on black Friday and it was damaged in shipping.

The seller won't replace it, just refund, so I'm wondering when I might find a deal as good again :(

Are there other Samsung models likely to hit that sweet spot for price/size?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

totalnewbie posted:

Ordered a 50 inch Samsung 6300 on black Friday and it was damaged in shipping.

The seller won't replace it, just refund, so I'm wondering when I might find a deal as good again :(

Are there other Samsung models likely to hit that sweet spot for price/size?

Wait a couple weeks and you'll see really good deals again. CES is about to start where everyone will announce their 2017 models and also stores like doing sales for Super Bowl times. This usually leads to a perfect storm of last years models going out at Black Friday or better prices.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Did those deals ever really materialize last year?

Maybe because I was looking for my oled but I felt like what was announced at ces was a good 8 weeks away from affecting the market, and super bowl wasn't really an event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Did the LG B6P ever get the HDR lag patch that was promised?