Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Brother Entropy posted:

well in an ideal world they'd get to use the fluff of wod but not have to deal with making the crunch work in a crpg

(actually in an ideal world they'd be using chronicles and not world but that's another conversation)

I dunno, I feel like their writing style is almost better suited to making World actually work.

Kind of like how they wrote KOTOR 2 by hating Star Wars as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I dunno, I feel like their writing style is almost better suited to making World actually work.

yeah but think about the cool poo poo they could do w/demon or promethean!!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah but think about the cool poo poo they could do w/demon or promethean!!

The Last of Us but with Prometheans traveling through a world that hates them?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Kurieg posted:

I mean, Tyranny is pretty good, and they've got their 6 stat system polished to a nice sheen. I'm not saying I'd be surprised but it would be somewhat disappointing to see them have to gnaw the storyteller system down to fit.

Tyranny has a lot of good ideas, and it's really unfortunate that (it feels like) they had to skimp on some story areas, especially in the second act.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Dammit Who? posted:

Tyranny has a lot of good ideas, and it's really unfortunate that (it feels like) they had to skimp on some story areas, especially in the second act.

I feel like Obsidian has a real unfortunate tendency to make 2/3 of a really good game, and I'm kinda hoping that there was enough cut content in the files for someone to eventually make a Bloodlines/KOTOR 2-style rebuild patch.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Do you really think somebody who bought WoD because they're super into it would let Obsidian do that?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

You mentioned that Convention of Thorns dampened your enthusiasm for their future projects. Why? What kind of tone turned you off?

What were some of the parts you enjoyed most from writing for and working with the people involved with it?

What would you say is the difference between what you have heard of/experienced between both big ones mentioned, College of Wizardry and Convention of Thorns?

Convention of Thorns' tone was... very dark. That makes sense, of course, but even when nordic larp doesn't try to go there, it often ends up with misery larping, which i don't really like or appreciate. Misery Larping, for the record, is larping where every charecter (on purpose) ends up crying, cursed, dead, grieving or depressed somehow. That certainly makes sense for Vampire, but it's not a tone i personally appreciate. Plenty of my friends do, and i don't think it's nessecarily a bad form of larping, it's just not my cup of tea. There were also some writing guidelines for us (character writers) that were... iffy, to say the least. That said, when we writers replied 'yeah, not happening,' WW took it pretty well.

I don't really know how to answer your second queston? I guess i enjoyed that there was a relatively relaxed atmosphere and an ability to gethelp from the voulenteer writers when needed.

Tone is a major thing. CoW started its life a a harry potter game, and though the game has had many changes since then, the tone focuses more on college problems with magic (and magic problems at a college), which does affect the tone, and even then, some runs have gotten darker than you'd expect as returning players seek to 'up the ante' for themselves, make a dark charecter where they played a lighter one ealier, and get in on the rituals-in-the-basement fun. CoT, though, all dark all the way through, and they put a lot of focus on vampires being inhuman monsters, their emotions fake and their honor or ideals a veneer across their inhumanity as they mistake obsession for love and self-loathing for repentance. I wasn't at CoT, so i can't comment much beyond that.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Zereth posted:

Do you really think somebody who bought WoD because they're super into it would let Obsidian do that?

Well, the person really into it is in charge of the tabletop and larp stuff. Paradox's videogame part already has a relationship with obsidian. I could see them giving them relatively free reign.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zereth posted:

I don't even know how they got away with it with goddamn Star Wars, so I assume they'd do something wily.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dammit Who? posted:

Act 2 is fine, Act 3 is super short and it feels like there was something they wanted to do but it's at least narratively complete.

Pillars of Eternity's ending just kind of hit you all at once and they started narrating to you how your character felt about events, and tried to make you feel guilty for not doing what your character wanted to do.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Kurieg posted:

Act 2 is fine, Act 3 is super short and it feels like there was something they wanted to do but it's at least narratively complete.

Pillars of Eternity's ending just kind of hit you all at once and they started narrating to you how your character felt about events, and tried to make you feel guilty for not doing what your character wanted to do.

I liked what they were attempting with pillar's story but the implementation near the end wasn't great. Tyranny felt a bit rushed, like you said, but I think it was pretty successful in telling the story it wanted to tell.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Merry Mithrastide from the Mysterium! This is my first time actually posting on this forum, so hi, you all terrify and enthrall me.

I just wanted to thank this thread for some inspiration - I’m running a Mage: the Awakening campaign, and I’ve made use of the one and only bit of Beast that had any appeal to me in it. I learned about it lurking here, so I figured you all deserved an account.

The general concept of the chronicle is that the PCs, a small group of Pentacle mages, were present at the assassination of an established Mysterium scholar, and while investigating the killing they discover that he kept a collection of human souls in his basement. The local Pentacle Orders have been infiltrated by the Tremere Liches, and only the PCs know this for sure (a spell thrown back through Time erased the evidence - the remains of a timeline in which they presented it to the local Hierarch, though I think the players may have basically just ignored that clue. Such is ST life). They’ve formed a cabal to puzzle out the assassination and unravel the Tremere presence in the fictional city of Cheston, Wisconsin. I’m from Madison, but I just didn’t feel the city was spooky enough for an Of Darkness game. Of course, a week after I announce the game and write up a city loosely based on Madison, I find out my teenage sister used to sneak out to an abandoned sanitarium on dares, and that there’s really no comprehensible mundane reason the city was built in the middle of a swamp then made State Capitol. So basically I was too much of a dork to know that Madison is plenty spooky from firsthand experience, but I’ll find it easier to blow Cheston up if the PCs go hog wild.

In any case: In the course of investigating the souls they found in the lich’s sanctum, the PCs found Ward Six at the local hospital, which treats Cheston Shock Syndrome. For about two to three hundred years, people in Cheston have come down with a disease where they lose volition, a sense of self, and motive, and often fall into comas. Soul loss, in other words. On the cabal’s horrified analysis via Mage Sight, however, one coma patient was found to still have a soul, and indeed to have emotions running high and a mind in action... in the Astral Realm. This particular patient is a 16-year-old girl who has been in a coma for two years, and somehow survived - her name is Melanie Brown, and when they found her she was in a primordial realm of sacrifice and blood, at war with nightmares. You might recognize her as 'Sleeping Beauty' from the Beast preview.

I’m pretty proud of how I spun that plot thread - she was attacked by a Reaper, which awakened her latent astral-projection powers, and sent her mind deep into the Astral, but saved her soul from theft. Since then she wandered through the astral reflection of her neighborhood, through the back alleys of the Metropolis, and finally through the conceptual realm of ‘the dark wood’ and into the Forest of the Golden Bough, representative of sacrifice and grail quests. Her goetia, rudely deposited into the Temenos by her spiritual maiming, became her traveling companions, while her personal phobias and nightmares harried her as monsters. So she’s been told by her Vice (Pride) and Virtue (Determination) that she has to go further, go deeper, keep fighting - while her Daimon tries to get her ‘killed’ so she wakes up. She’s been constantly at war for two years, forging deeper into the Temenos towards a distant tower, certain that this is her destiny and that she’s the heroine of a portal fantasy story. That’s how the PCs found her - ankle-deep in the blood of nightmares, forging towards an impossible goal. I’m really pleased with how much the cabal was clearly taken with Melanie: they kind of sidelined their plans to focus on helping her wake up.

There were a few ways to resolve the situation; they managed to find one that didn’t involve fighting her and her goetia, as they managed to convince her that this wasn’t entirely real, her daimon wasn’t an enemy, and she should let them ritually execute her to wake her up. So that happened, and everyone was emotionally shredded by holding an execution for a heroic teen. Her parents are pretty happy, though, and she’s started in on physical therapy (boosted with some basic Life magic). Of course, they’re already considering asking her to help them go back into the Astral, to help them find the Temenotic Grail, since she was already some distance on the quest to find it. She’s the only Sleepwalker they have a relationship with, and at least two PCs are already aiming to help her Awaken to the Supernal. I’m not sure which Path she should have, though I’m open to her Awakening - Mastigos is obvious for her natural talents, but Obrimos and Acanthus fit her personality and story, respectively, and Moros fits the fact that she had to learn how to die to live. We’ll see if they push it! I’m not going to go into how I think that could play out, because I don’t know if my players might read this, and Awakening should never be guaranteed.

But, all in all, I think I managed to salvage literally everything I could possibly want out of Beast. It's... not much.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 13, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Merry Mithrastide from the Mysterium! This is my first time actually posting on this forum, so hi, you all terrify and enthrall me.

I just wanted to thank this thread for some inspiration - I’m running a Mage: the Awakening campaign, and I’ve made use of the one and only bit of Beast that had any appeal to me in it. I learned about it lurking here, so I figured you all deserved an account.

The general concept of the chronicle is that the PCs, a small group of Pentacle mages, were present at the assassination of an established Mysterium scholar, and while investigating the killing they discover that he kept a collection of human souls in his basement. The local Pentacle Orders have been infiltrated by the Tremere Liches, and only the PCs know this for sure (a spell thrown back through Time erased the evidence - the remains of a timeline in which they presented it to the local Hierarch, though I think the players may have basically just ignored that clue. Such is ST life). They’ve formed a cabal to puzzle out the assassination and unravel the Tremere presence in the fictional city of Cheston, Wisconsin. I’m from Madison, but I just didn’t feel the city was spooky enough for an Of Darkness game. Of course, a week after I announce the game and write up a city loosely based on Madison, I find out my teenage brother used to sneak out to an abandoned sanitarium on dares, and that there’s really no comprehensible mundane reason the city was built in the middle of a swamp then made State Capitol. So basically I was too much of a dork to know that Madison is plenty spooky from firsthand experience, but I’ll find it easier to blow Cheston up if the PCs go hog wild.

In any case: In the course of investigating the souls they found in the lich’s sanctum, the PCs found Ward Six at the local hospital, which treats Cheston Shock Syndrome. For about two to three hundred years, people in Cheston have come down with a disease where they lose volition, a sense of self, and motive, and often fall into comas. Soul loss, in other words. On the cabal’s horrified analysis via Mage Sight, however, one coma patient was found to still have a soul, and indeed to have emotions running high and a mind in action... in the Astral Realm. This particular patient is a 16-year-old girl who has been in a coma for two years, and somehow survived - her name is Melanie Brown, and when they found her she was in a primordial realm of sacrifice and blood, at war with nightmares. You might recognize her as 'Sleeping Beauty' from the Beast preview.

I’m pretty proud of how I spun that plot thread - she was attacked by a Reaper, which awakened her latent astral-projection powers, and sent her mind deep into the Astral, but saved her soul from theft. Since then she wandered through the astral reflection of her neighborhood, through the back alleys of the Metropolis, and finally through the conceptual realm of ‘the dark wood’ and into the Forest of the Golden Bough, representative of sacrifice and grail quests. Her goetia, rudely deposited into the Temenos by her spiritual maiming, became her traveling companions, while her personal phobias and nightmares harried her as monsters. So she’s been told by her Vice (Pride) and Virtue (Determination) that she has to go further, go deeper, keep fighting - while her Daimon tries to get her ‘killed’ so she wakes up. She’s been constantly at war for two years, forging deeper into the Temenos towards a distant tower, certain that this is her destiny and that she’s the heroine of a portal fantasy story. That’s how the PCs found her - ankle-deep in the blood of nightmares, forging towards an impossible goal. I’m really pleased with how much the cabal was clearly taken with Melanie: they kind of sidelined their plans to focus on helping her wake up.

There were a few ways to resolve the situation; they managed to find one that didn’t involve fighting her and her goetia, as they managed to convince her that this wasn’t entirely real, her daimon wasn’t an enemy, and she should let them ritually execute her to wake her up. So that happened, and everyone was emotionally shredded by holding an execution for a heroic teen. Her parents are pretty happy, though, and she’s started in on physical therapy (boosted with some basic Life magic). Of course, they’re already considering asking her to help them go back into the Astral, to help them find the Temenotic Grail, since she was already some distance on the quest to find it. She’s the only Sleepwalker they have a relationship with, and at least two PCs are already aiming to help her Awaken to the Supernal. I’m not sure which Path she should have, though I’m open to her Awakening - Mastigos is obvious for her natural talents, but Obrimos and Acanthus fit her personality and story, respectively, and Moros fits the fact that she had to learn how to die to live. We’ll see if they push it! I’m not going to go into how I think that could play out, because I don’t know if my players might read this, and Awakening should never be guaranteed.

But, all in all, I think I managed to salvage literally everything I could possibly want out of Beast. It's... not much.

That's rad, thanks for sharing the story and good work on salvaging about the only interesting thing from Beast.

thegoatgod_pan
Apr 23, 2013

Io Pan! Io Pan Pan! Io Pangenitor! Io Panphage!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The thread? No. But it's my house game, and it's still chugging along.

Gah, just realized the person to respond to my comment about needing Spirit related advice, but having no inspirational Thyrsus in DaveB's games (which I've read over and over and which made me get the new Mage and start a group and storytell) was DaveB, hotdamn, now I am super star-struck.

Thanks for being awesome!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Over in the FATAL & Friends thread they've been discussing the Strix, and I realized that those horrible owl-things are pretty perfect for my Mage game. Specifically, with how the local vampire population relates to the big Mystery of my fictional city of Cheston, WI.
So I just wanted to ask a general advice question: Can Strix reliably stand up to much Mage pressure? It seems to me that their inability to pass fire is considerably easier for a Mage to use than a vampire's simple weakness, since one ring of fire from Ruling Forces seems like it could pretty easily and inescapably trap a Strix, to say nothing of Death magic. My current impulse is to have the local Tremere hold a Strix captive for their experiments, and possibly even have intentionally bound one into a vampire for research. Which is such a great idea, no possible way that could backfire.
Also on that note: Strix seem, in Mage terms, pretty solidly of Death. Any fun ideas for making that a bit more complex? Or theories the Mysterium or other Orders might have regarding the Birds of Dis, true or false, that the PCs could look up if they start dealing in Owls?
Plus, one Owl is enough to terrorize a local vampire community, right? Especially a relatively weak vamp structure? Their powers seem pretty extreme, what with the body-hopping, near-invulnerability, and gaseous form.
I'm also planning on using the pre-written Abyssal Intruder called the Red Worm if there's an opportunity to justify that manifesting, as well, so any ideas on how that parasitic perversion of predator/prey relations might interact with the Strix is appreciated! I'm not hugely into Vampire so I'm leaning heavily on pre-written vampire material to shore up that part of the setting, so I can focus my energy on the Supernal magic, Shadow, and similar side of things.
Thanks!

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

As noted, anybody with some degree of skill in Forces is going to be able to pretty effortlessly cage a Strix, but caging one and making one co-operate are decidedly different things. Binding a strix in its ephemeral form is a great way to make it personally and deeply loathe you and want you to suffer in the most horrifying ways its shadowy, alien, sadistic smoke-brain can come up with. Binding one once it's in a vampire's body or a succession of ordinary corpses is probably going to make it at least a little bit positively inclined towards someone giving it access to corpse-joyrides, but it's still going to hate your very existence and probably gently caress you over anyway, because that is how the strix do.

In terms of arcana, strix are "none of the above." To my memory, it is very heavily implied but never outright stated that the strix are beings from the Lower Depths, almost certainly one that lacks Life. This on its own is weapons-grade rocket fuel for plots, should you go reading up on the Lower Depths in 2e's core or Left-Handed Path. If you roll with this, the Red Worm and the strix will utterly despise each other, as things from the Lower Depths (particularly Inferno) and things from the Abyss do not play well together.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Daeren posted:

things from the Lower Depths (particularly Inferno) and things from the Abyss do not play well together.

Interesting! I missed this in Left Hand Path (that book has been invaluable to me). My first instinct is to attribute this to the Abyss being corrosively antireal, and the Lower Depths have way less natural reality than the Fallen World. So even a little paradox could absolutely wreck them, and their denizens naturally recognize this. Meanwhile, the Abyss sees easy prey. Does that broadly fit things? Also, I'm tempted to play it that every 'Lower Depth' forms a sort of single being with some kind of halfway conscious drive to be real, all Strix being instances of the Strix Dimension's groping for reality. Because that way, a big enough summoning or screwup could open the way to the God of Strix (or the God of Whatever Lower Depth appears).
Alternatively, denizens of the Lower Depths are just jealous that the Abyss doesn't do any of the work of existing or having internal consistency, but gets to have an antireality that's more potent than their pseudoreality.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Daeren posted:

To my memory, it is very heavily implied but never outright stated that the strix are beings from the Lower Depths, almost certainly one that lacks Life. This on its own is weapons-grade rocket fuel for plots, should you go reading up on the Lower Depths in 2e's core or Left-Handed Path. If you roll with this, the Red Worm and the strix will utterly despise each other, as things from the Lower Depths (particularly Inferno) and things from the Abyss do not play well together.

It's only not said in Requiem because we'd then have to spend wordcount on "what the hell is a Lower Depth?"

But yes, the weird shadow-world Brutus contacted the Strix in in Requiem for Rome and the place Strix go to when they use that one power that opens a gateway is a Lower Depth.

As F&F says, though, most Strix are from this world. They "live", reproduce, and die here. If their prehistoric origins are from a cosmological cul de sac, then what of it? Arisen Mummies are more tied to the Lower Depths than they are.

Daeren posted:

In terms of arcana, strix are "none of the above."

They're made of shadows, and the Death Arcanum works just fine on them. You can pull them about like taffy if you have shadow control spells.

This is an excellent way to really piss them off, though, and mages are explicitly, hilariously, not immune to being possessed.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 27, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Does that broadly fit things?

Exact opposite. The Abyss has no power over the Lower Depths. The Abyss is, quite literally, the Anti-Reality. It is totally destructive to the nature of the world as is.....but that's it. That's all it's relevance and it's power. That's why the Supernal can still pass through the Abyss and there is still magic in the world. The Supernal is also not reality, and the Abyss only has the power to unmake and pervert reality. As beings *from* reality, that sucks for us. The Lower Depths....also do not have that problem to deal with. They and the Abyss are both antagonistic to the world in some sense, but the Abyss is genocidal and the Lower Depths are predatory. The Abyss would destroy reality, and that isn't something any of the Lower Depths particularly want. They all feed on something. Life, sin, magic, whatever. They get that something from us. A force that would wipe all of us out is their enemy, and as the Lower Depths themselves are not as bound to reality they aren't as risk in fighting anti-reality forces.

Of course they are also a collection of individuals and monsters and esoteric forces, so the degree to which any Lower Depths being cares about that conflict is entirely up for grabs. At the end of the day though those that do get it and have a sense of at least self-preservation are going to be antagonistic to forces of unreality. Fuckers are taking out the food chain! the tl:dr of it all is Abyss = Anti-Reality and Lower Depths = Predatory Reality.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 27, 2016

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

It's only not said in Requiem because we'd then have to spend wordcount on "what the hell is a Lower Depth?"

But yes, the weird shadow-world Brutus contacted the Strix in in Requiem for Rome and the place Strix go to when they use that one power that opens a gateway is a Lower Depth.

As F&F says, though, most Strix are from this world. They "live", reproduce, and die here. If their prehistoric origins are from a cosmological cul de sac, then what of it? Arisen Mummies are more tied to the Lower Depths than they are.

Neato. I never knew this. I should probably, you know, read Requiem for Rome at some point.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

They're made of shadows, and the Death Arcanum works just fine on them. You can pull them about like taffy if you have shadow control spells.

This is an excellent way to really piss them off, though, and mages are explicitly, hilariously, not immune to being possessed.

So is it just the shadow control portion of the Death Arcanum which works on them, or does their nature as beings of death allow you to do Spirit Arcanum-style shenanigans on them/to them? Would a Death mage be able to, say, bind and control them, or modify their stats directly?

Actually, on that note, with respects to goetia and ghosts: Do the Mind and Death Arcanums act like the Spirit Arcanum for the purposes of interacting with goetia and ghosts? i.e. can you replicate a particular Spirit spell w/ the equivalent dots of Mind or Death and use it on their respective ephemeral being type? My instincts say yes, but I'm never sure with Mage.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mulva posted:

Exact opposite. The Abyss has no power over the Lower Depths. The Abyss is, quite literally, the Anti-Reality. It is totally destructive to the nature of the world as is.....but that's it. That's all it's relevance and it's power. That's why the Supernal can still pass through the Abyss and there is still magic in the world. The Supernal is also not reality, and the Abyss only has the power to unmake and pervert reality.

I'm not entirely convinced by this - specifically, the idea that the Supernal is not 'reality' and especially the idea that the Supernal isn't targeted by the Abyss (if anything it would be a higher reality, since according to most mage cosmology it sustains and supports our universe). My understanding of the Abyss is that it most certainly feeds on and devours those scraps of the Supernal it can gain access to, scouring them from the Fallen World and enforcing 'mundane' Lying reality. Especially and particularly, we know that if a mage screws up a Supernal Summoning, the Abyss will happily and irresistibly eat the thing they try to summon:

Mage: The Awakening posted:

Once the [Supernal] being runs out of Corpus, it vanishes. The denizens can sense when their time is running out, and usually attempt to get back into the summoning circle, so that they can go directly home. If, however, the creature “dies” outside of the summoning circle, or is killed by a deliberate magical attack, it cannot use the path laid down by the mage to reach its home again. Instead, it vanishes into the Abyss. This is obvious to anyone watching — black tendrils may extend from the walls and rip it to shreds, or an Abyssal being might manifest to collect it.

But it does seem reasonable that something from the Depths might be more resilient to the Abyss, if there's less there for it to devour and replace.
Also, the Mage cosmology really is a fun combination of empowering and the famous circle of light surrounded by horrible things with too many teeth.

EDIT: Thanks for the Strix clarification! It's nice to know that the owl horrors are emigres from a qlipphothic realm cast off by reality, that makes them much cuddlier. (Also, hey, cool, a dev gave me clarification, ten bucks well spent)

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 27, 2016

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Doodmons posted:

So is it just the shadow control portion of the Death Arcanum which works on them, or does their nature as beings of death allow you to do Spirit Arcanum-style shenanigans on them/to them? Would a Death mage be able to, say, bind and control them, or modify their stats directly?

Just the shadow control part - they aren't ghosts, and they aren't made of ephemera.

Doodmons posted:

Actually, on that note, with respects to goetia and ghosts: Do the Mind and Death Arcanums act like the Spirit Arcanum for the purposes of interacting with goetia and ghosts? i.e. can you replicate a particular Spirit spell w/ the equivalent dots of Mind or Death and use it on their respective ephemeral being type? My instincts say yes, but I'm never sure with Mage.

Largely, though Mind can't give Goetia Manifestations by itself, as they don't have the capacity to have them in their natural state and you have to Pattern them in from Death or Spirit.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Good to know! I always assumed the connection went deeper, but putting it like this makes a lot of sense too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm not entirely convinced by this - specifically, the idea that the Supernal is not 'reality' and especially the idea that the Supernal isn't targeted by the Abyss (if anything it would be a higher reality, since according to most mage cosmology it sustains and supports our universe).

I mean there's a really really long discussion about the nature of the Supernal as a realm of ideas and symbols, literally not figuratively, and how the Abyss is mostly a force of opposition to the amalgam of Supernal Truth rather than Supernal Truth itself, a series of failed expressions that exist in opposition to the one true expression that is our reality, but the fact is as of Imperial Mysteries of all the problems the Supernal has to face on the regular direct involvement of the Abyss just isn't one of them. It might be eventually if they ever manage to destroy our reality, but there really isn't any aspect of the Abyss or corrupt mages that are targeting the Supernal in any real capacity. Again, not first at least. Even the batshit crazy Abyssal Archmages generally stick to that strategy [Possibly because literally every other Archmage and Ascended being would drop on the ones that don't like a sack of non-existence].

As for it being "higher", you can call it that. The degree to which it matters is.....fairly irrelevant. The practical issue would be that it's a realm of symbol-ideas, and messing with it can have very real impacts on the world we live in, but it's also a realm of symbol-ideas and completely antithetical to life. No being, living or otherwise, can exist there without being pretty much instantly retroactively erased from all existence. You can only exist there by either crafting a shield out of the symbol-truths and Mysteries of your own life, which is exhausting and potentially destructive to those truths [Hope you weren't expecting to see your mom again, or for her to have ever existed in the first place. Whoops!] or to make *yourself* into a symbol, which is a fairly permanent loss of basic humanity. So it's certainly a powerful place, but it's not exactly resonant on a human scale. You aren't going to find meaning, or justice, or anything relevant to the "Why" of existence. Just the "How", the mechanics of metaphysics.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mulva posted:

You aren't going to find meaning, or justice, or anything relevant to the "Why" of existence. Just the "How", the mechanics of metaphysics.

As I haven't read Imperial Mysteries, I can't speak to its contents, and as far as I know you're right on the general - but I don't think anything I said disagrees with an amoral Supernal (though as a ST who doesn't hugely like Archmages for their effect on the basic Ascension War setting of Mage, Imperial Mysteries doesn't really grab me as a concept). I would be perfectly ok with saying that atomic physics are at least as real as human-scale physics, for one thing, and that their reality sustains and allows for our reality. I deeply dislike readings of Awakening that say the Supernal isn't at all like platonic forms, because it undermines the force of Supernal As Truth - and thus the horror of the Lie and the burning need for revolution that the Pentacle at its best represents. I mean, I guess there are valid readings of Mage that aren't about immanentizing the eschaton, but I wouldn't want to run them, even if I never expect a game I run to be about actually winning the Ascension War.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

I deeply dislike readings of Awakening that say the Supernal isn't at all like platonic forms, because it undermines the force of Supernal As Truth

Well I mean that's already done when you discount the moral competent, which is part of the whole deal. There's the platonic form of an apple, and a tree, but also a man, or a society. A man tries to live up to the ideal of what he's supposed to be, or a society to function as the ideal of what a society should be. There.....isn't really anything like that in the Supernal. The republic, as he'd say, is the recollection of platonic Justice....but there is no Justice in the Supernal. The Supernal is Truth like machine code is the foundation of the computers we are using right now. Which is to say: Once you get there, it's ultimately just another tool. Perhaps the greatest tool that ever existed, but still just a tool.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Imperial Mysteries specifically comes out and says that you can either have the Supernal represent the moral order of the universe or just be another layer of physics (with the possibility of a higher moral order beyond even that, if you like). I'd find the page number and citation but :effort:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I have no idea why you'd claim that there are supernal archetypes of dogs but not of cities or justice or beauty or whatever.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mulva posted:

Well I mean that's already done when you discount the moral competent, which is part of the whole deal. ... Perhaps the greatest tool that ever existed, but still just a tool.

I disagree! Specifically, even if Supernal Truth (tm) is amoral, the existence and knowledge of it can be compellingly argued to be a moral right. As long as the Lie hides Supernal magic, humanity is in bondage to those who have Supernal magic (the Exarchs and their toadies). Or, on a more mundane level, it's a pretty obvious moral crime to prevent people from learning to read or write - which is a lot less comprehensive than preventing people from learning the true nature of reality. Not just because truth is good, though I'd argue it is, but because truth is power, and the current monopoly on that power is the Seers.

Plus, one can have Supernal symbols representing society without having a single uniform set of them; we definitely have (potentially human-made) symbols of tyranny in the Exarchs, and could easily have symbols of democracy, oligarchy, anarchy, what-have-you without them necessarily dominating or being the One True Moral Way. They represent and epitomize, but are as you say - tools. Personally, I find the Libertine concept of humans creating new symbols a convincing one, since otherwise the Supernal would already include a complete record of human history into the future at least in terms of technology, art, and all else, which seems metaphysically suspect in the uncertain and tempestuous Chronicles.

...I'm very sorry for setting off another round of mage chat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If a Supernal concept of "Justice" exists, then the Exarchs can literally legislate themselves into being Objectively Morally Correct. You are history's greatest monsters because they say you are, reason and emotion alike be damned.

God is Good, even if he's a total rear end in a top hat.

Have fun with that. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Of course the more likely scenario here is that it's entirely possible for competing concepts to exist in the Supernal (otherwise huge chunks of the setting make no sense) but it's kind of fun to contemplate how you'd resist that. You'd probably have to lean into it, accept your role as blasphemers and natural criminals until you could get your swipe at the ring.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Exarchs don't actually control all supernal concepts, and in fact they themselves are congruent with supernal concepts of things like tyranny and hierarchy rather than, like, whatever they please regardless of how much sense it makes on its face.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
For this next round of MageChat, let's talk about what happens to a mage when they're caught completely unawares by a werewolf.

Forsaken or Pure, your choice

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If a Supernal concept of "Justice" exists, then the Exarchs can literally legislate themselves into being Objectively Morally Correct. You are history's greatest monsters because they say you are, reason and emotion alike be damned.

God is Good, even if he's a total rear end in a top hat.

Have fun with that. :v:

I had an Ochema of the Father in a game once who literally had this ability - nothing anyone ever did in its sight provoked breaking points

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

JohnnyCanuck posted:

For this next round of MageChat, let's talk about what happens to a mage when they're caught completely unawares by a werewolf.

The woofwoof obviously uses Efficient Killer to instantly end the mage, unless they're a Prelate of the General with the Crown of Fury, in which case they go 'NANOMACHINES, SON' and use Forces to punt the werewolf across a football field. Then the fight actually starts.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Or what happens when they confront a vampire that has a theban ritual or cruac rite that shuts down magic in their vicinity.

I think that was a thing in one of the recent books. Sure as hell evens out the power difference between the lines too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 28, 2016

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I just watched a movie called Patient Seven and, spoiler alert, it is extremely World of Darkness.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is it on Netflix

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Soonmot posted:

Is it on Netflix

Not on my country's Netflix, at least.

I just want to put this out there: I love reading Mage chat so much, and I really wish I was steeped enough in nWoD lore to actually participate. Please keep talking about magey things forever :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Soonmot posted:

Is it on Netflix

it's on amazon