Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I've got both Tiller's WW1 games, but I'm stretched pretty thin for the next few months so if you can't find an opponent, I can probably offer a turn a week.

Nice! Either shoot me a PM or post here when you're free to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

FastestGunAlive posted:

How are the Panzer Corps expansions? I really like the base game and I've replayed it several times but due to the right time limits it feels almost like a puzzle game where each mission has specific steps to go through in order to get the superior victory. I want more flexibility to experiment with different tactics and troops. Also considering grabbing Order of Battle. How open is that?

The Panzer Corps expansions all offer sorta different things. Afrika Korps is a great all-around expansion, and is my favorite of all the DLCs. The Grand Campaigns are also good, and put together of course it's a huge amount of scenarios, but it costs a lot to get them all and the later scenarios are gigantic slogs that beat you to death with enemy attack waves (especially the East DLCs), but if you're into that thing that by all means. Allied Corps I never really got into; Soviet Corps seems a bit too gimmicky for my taste (a lot of the missions are built around some cute one-off mechanics or objectives); and I've not played Sealion. The American Grand Campaign is cool, but the early scenarios are a headache because the American units are utter garbage compared to German troops.

Order of Battle is sorta Panzer Corps with a few differences, but if what you're looking for is a game with more "paths" and a greater freedom to choose your objectives and avenues of advance, then it might be what you're looking for. It does not, however, have Panzer Corps' branching campaign trees.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 28, 2016

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Happy Hedonist posted:

Nice! Either shoot me a PM or post here when you're free to start.

I can start now, if you'd like. I'll play Entente, which means you can go first. I don't have PMs so you can email me at chris fogel @ pacifica index dot com

I don't really know what I'm doing with this game, so apologies in advance if I do something like blow up Fort Nancy with my own HQ inside.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I can start now, if you'd like. I'll play Entente, which means you can go first. I don't have PMs so you can email me at chris fogel @ pacifica index dot com

I don't really know what I'm doing with this game, so apologies in advance if I do something like blow up Fort Nancy with my own HQ inside.

All good, I'm horrible too. I haven't played it in years. I'll pick a small scenario to start with and send it your way tomorrow evening.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Happy Hedonist posted:

All good, I'm horrible too. I haven't played it in years. I'll pick a small scenario to start with and send it your way tomorrow evening.

Oh man, your comment has me wondering if we're thinking of the same game. I'm thinking the France '14 or the East-Prussian '14 Tiller games.

Are you thinking the Squad Battles tactical WW1 game? I don't have that one.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 28, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Oh man, your comment has me wondering if we're thinking of the same game. I'm thinking the France '14 or the East-Prussian '14 Tiller games.

Are you thinking the Squad Battles tactical WW1 game? I don't have that one.

Nope, I have both France '14 and East Prussia '14. There are some smaller scenarios, there's a couple that are only 6 turns long, and I figured that'd be a good place to start. If you'd rather go with one of the larger scenarios I'm all for that too.

The scenario 1914_0827_03s: The Fight For the Centre in East Prussia looks fun, is 22 turns long, and there aren't a million units to move each turn. Check it out and let me know what you think. If you want, email me at saaarsena at med dot umich dot edu.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Happy Hedonist posted:

Nope, I have both France '14 and East Prussia '14. There are some smaller scenarios, there's a couple that are only 6 turns long, and I figured that'd be a good place to start. If you'd rather go with one of the larger scenarios I'm all for that too.

The scenario 1914_0827_03s: The Fight For the Centre in East Prussia looks fun, is 22 turns long, and there aren't a million units to move each turn. Check it out and let me know what you think. If you want, email me at saaarsena at med dot umich dot edu.

Okay, cool. Whatever scenario you'd like is fine by me. I want to take this to email, but I'm getting bouncebacks from your address. Send me an email at the address I posted earlier.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 28, 2016

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Nice to see that they didn't change or fix the shaders in the new Combat Mission update. I always have to turn the shaders off because of how god-awful they look.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Kenzie posted:

Nice to see that they didn't change or fix the shaders in the new Combat Mission update. I always have to turn the shaders off because of how god-awful they look.

Yup, pretty underwhelming for a patch you have to actually pay for. Here's the feature list I could find:

quote:

GAMEPLAY

HULLDOWN COMMAND: Vehicles have access to a new movement command called Hulldown. This command allows a vehicle to move forward until only the turret is exposed to a specified target, and then the vehicle stops moving.

IMPROVED INFANTRY SPACING: Infantry on the move will now respect each other's personal space! While moving, squad and team members will maintain a few meters of distance between each other. Soldiers will also spread out laterally on the move when possible (some terrain may necessitate column movement, such as paths through rough terrain).

PEEKING AROUND BUILDING CORNERS: Infantry units positioned adjacent to building corners will now automatically post some soldiers at the corners to observe and fire around the obstacle.

AI PROACTIVELY AVOIDS HIGH-EXPLOSIVE FIRE: The TacAI that runs soldiers and vehicles will more proactively, and reactively, attempt to avoid incoming HE fire. Two classic examples are that the AI will attempt to avoid being wiped out by incoming artillery barrages and direct tank fire.

COMBINE SQUAD COMMAND: Combine Squad is a new Admin Command for squads. This command is useful for squads that have suffered major losses and need to consolidate their remaining personnel into larger teams!

USER INTERFACE

EXPANDED WAYPOINT DESCRIPTIVE TEXT: More special unit commands (such as Hide and Deploy Weapon) will now be marked with white floating text above the waypoint they are assigned to.

CAMPAIGN BRIEFING: The overall campaign briefing is now viewable during any campaign mission by going to the Menu Options Panel and selecting "Campaign".

FORWARD OBSERVER KILL CREDITS: Finally, time to see how effective your artillery really is! Forward Observers now get credit on the AAR for any casualties caused by off-map fire missions called in by them.

SCREEN EDGE PAN TOGGLE: Tired of trying to fine tune a camera position and then messing it up by touching the edge of the screen with the cursor? Using the hotkey ALT-E you can disable camera panning by touching the screen edge with the mouse cursor.

EDITOR

AI AREA FIRE ORDERS: The AI can now be scripted to use Area Fire! Each AI Order can have a target zone designated.

AI FACING ORDERS: Each AI Order can be given a location for it to Face towards.

AI WITHDRAW ORDERS: AI Groups can be ordered to Withdraw towards their movement destination. Vehicles will move in Reverse to the destination, while infantry will leapfrog back while turning around to face behind them.

CAMPAIGN RESUPPLY: Personnel replacements and ammunition levels are now more uniformly resupplied across all core units between campaign missions, as opposed to the all-or-nothing check on each unit done previously.

3D FLAVOR OBJECT CLONE TOOL: Flavor object can be cloned within the 3D view without having to go back to the 2D view.

32 ORDER AI PLANS: Each AI Group can now have up to 32 Orders, increased from 16.

STREAM TERRAIN: Small streams can now be placed on battle maps.

GRAPHICS

New tracer and muzzle flash effects.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
:eyepop:

Like, I almost understood where they're coming from with souping up Shock Force engine to the modern iteration, but this is just... A patch.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
lmao

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn it, guys. :(

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
They are really charging for that? Most of it is not new features just trying to get the engine to work right!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Battlefront really can just gently caress right off with that. Ain't gonna drop that money for my CMBN or CMBS, or even consider getting any of the others.

Considering picking up Mius Front from the Steam sales though. A bit wary though, I did not like thei Kharkov game at all seven years back or so, but then again the engine and game I understand has gone forward since then.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I've been having a bit of fun with Children of a Dead Earth. I went into it with the assumption that this is more of a sandbox where you play around with spaceships and lasers than a real game, and though that has proven mostly right, I did have a sweet battle today. Now, I'm sure you can do this far more optimally with custom designs and such, but I wanted to discover this game for myself so I haven't been reading up on the best ways to do things. I haven't touched module design yet, but I've modified some of the stock ships.

So, the enemy fleet on this mission, Vesta Overkill, is made up of a Fleet Carrier (lots of drones), a Siloship (lots of nukes), a Cutter (lots of small lasers mostly good for defense), and a Corvette. (general purpose gunship). I figured I needed a) something to survive the onslaught of drones and missiles and b) something to kill their fleet afterwards. I made a stripped down, lighter and much cheaper version of the Laser Frigate for defense, retaining its 100 MW violet laser of drone death. For offense, I took two upgraded Raiders which I had made earlier because the stock model seemed like a fun if flawed ship. I rounded out my fleet with a stock Skirmisher for some missile capability.

The attack ships. These bad boys have a 286 mm coilgun and 650 mm of frontal armor. Typical ships have like 50 mm because the mass adds up fast. The rest of the armor is paper; the stock version doesn't even have the full armor shell, but turns out that's a bad idea: Enemy projectiles will hit the radiators (which on the original model stick out far more) and the blast will break the spine of the ship and cut it in half. This 10 mm covering does well enough for blast protection.

To start with I send my light laser frigate a little way ahead of my main fleet. The rest of my ships aren't really very useful against drones or missiles, so I figure there's no reason to endanger them. First comes the carrier's group of Hellfire drones, armed with four guns that would tear any of my ships apart in seconds, and armored to boot. The frigate dispatches them handily long before they get into gun range. It kills a nuclear missile volley with equal ease.

At this point the enemy capital ships start burning for me and I have my laser frigate come back and rendezvous with the rest of my fleet. A huge group of Stingers, basic but deadly gun drones, come gunning for it. The laser gets most of them again, but for a critical second or two the remaining drones get into range and fire before the laser turns them into space dust. The frigate does its best to evade, but is struck by the volley of shells. Guess if armor was one of the things I skimped on to save on the mass and cost of this thing! Most propellant tanks are punctured, half the crew die, two out of three lasers are knocked out (yay for redundancy)... But that's fine. It's fine. It can still fight.

The stricken laser frigate pulls together for its last job before the fleets clash: 20 nukes headed for my main group. The missiles are coming at quite a decent clip, but the laser still has time to kill nearly all of them... but nearly isn't enough. Three nukes get through, but within the last two seconds before impact, the point defense guns get all of them. However, one of them hits the ship nevertheless, and though the nuke can't go off anymore, its inert remains go through the ship's damaged armor and hole the last intact propellant tank. With that, the ship is out - tumbling uncontrolled through space, still alive and armed but unable to move or bring its weapons to bear. It lives to fight another day, but it's no good for now.

Note the holes.

Around this time I had my skirmisher ship fire all 100 of its nukes and had them intercept the enemy fleet at high speed to hopefully weaken them ahead of the fight. It bows out of the battle – all it has now are piddly guns and I figure I'd rather preserve the ship in case I need to hunt down stragglers or something. All the nukes seek in on the fleet carrier. The cutter tries in vain to defend it with its lasers. The flagship dies instantly in a glorious flash. The siloship is crippled by the blast of hard radiation, the corvette is slightly glowy from the heat but is mostly okay, and the cutter is undamaged. This looks favorable for my two attack ships. The main threat will be the corvette's guns, but my frontal armor will easily survive them for a while, though my own guns are in danger of getting knocked out. The cutter comes up first. It dies in seconds to a torrent of 283 mm coilgun fire.

Next up are the corvette and the crippled siloship, which appear to be attempting to run – I have to spend half my delta-v to catch up with them. The corvette has the same guns as me, but the corvette is big and fat and my attack ships are small and thin. I have a longer effective range against it, so my ships open fire first. It doesn't even get to return fire before it's riddled with holes and torn in half. The remaining siloship is easy prey.

Gun run.

The corvette cleaved in half after what seemed to be a violent depressurization of its propellant tanks.

The enemy is dead, my assault ships and the skirmisher are completely unscathed and the laser frigate isn't a total loss either. Some remaining nukes from the siloship attempt marginal intercepts on the laser frigate but don't even manage to hit it. It performs some housekeeping with the skirmisher and clears out the remaining missiles from Vesta's orbital space.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Grey Hunter posted:

They are really charging for that? Most of it is not new features just trying to get the engine to work right!

Thanks for buying our game, enjoy!

Oh, you want it to work, that'll be extra...

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I think Battlefront's definition of a "patch" is bug fixes only.

From reading their forum, looks like they tried putting in a vehicle "follow" command to make convoys easier to move around but couldn't figure out how to get it to work properly. It only worked some of the time so they scrapped it. Also, the hull down command was something they had as far back as the CMx1 engine, and now how many years has it been for them to put it in the new one?

It's nice that the infantry no longer move around in those silly single-file conga lines, but yeah, they're charging just to get the engine to work right.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Elukka posted:

Spaceships

For CoaDE ships I find the key things to make good direct fire ships is a few things.

1) MInimal profile so its harder for the enemy to target them at long range. This often necessitates a frontal firing design but you can do weird stuff with placement of engines to make a ship that flies 'sideways'. Sloped armor is key too.
2) Good acceleration profile, a minimum of 600mg and up to 2g of thrust to move away from where enemy shots are landing. More than that things start getting funky and you can mush your crew on high power turns.
3) Long range weapons, which means fast projectiles. 6kps is okay, 8kps better 10kps good. Faster than that you start to compromise the weapons killing ability or your power/heatsink requirements get out of hand.
4) Redundancy, especially radiators as they get scraped off easily.
5) Cheapness, why have one ship when you can have three, again, redundancy.

30 million credits and 2 kilotons. Can easily peel apart any stock ship before they even get in range and is a fraction of the proce of most of them. The crazy guns also work well against missiles and drones as the velocity is so high. It can tank a lot of fire and is almost invulnerable from the front, the only weakness seems to be ablation by high weight coilgun projectiles but they are usually slow so the firing ship dies before it gets in range or it can dodge them. This particular ship really needs a reactor that runs colder so I don't need such a comical amount of radiators (they are very redundant though).

Key components for the design.

This fat bellied bastard is one of my more successful designs. The fatness shields its radiators from fire and every system is multiply redundant with internal armoring. It even has coilguns that launch guided flak bombs at 3kps which are more fun than useful but can be pretty entertaining. 80 mC and 5.5kt.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 28, 2016

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Nice. I'm feeling like the real game in this would be to hold like, ship tournaments with given mass and cost limits. If some winning combination happens you go congrats you win and come up with new constraints to change things up.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Unfortunately you'd really need multiplayer of some sort for that because the way to win is basically ships with enormous delta-V spamming 10k micromissiles with flak warheads and just swamp whatever the enemy puts up and the AI is in no way capable of dealing with that. Due to the way missile defense works at the moment you can't really deal with large numbers of missiles.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 28, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I want to thank the grogoons (rhymes with dragons) for recommending Battle Brothers. It's a fantastic little game with a lot of potential for early access.

My adventures with the Whining Sissies merc band end terribly last night after deciding, "why yes, everyone is level 3. The 6 Sissies certainly can take on 10 orcs!"

It was glorious. The first Orc hit took the head off my favorite 2000 gold merc, and it was all downhill from there.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I just dug out CM Normandy yesterday and realized I'm like 2 patches behind. That's dumb. If you buy a Combat Mission game do they sell you the current version or do you have to buy the game and then pay to patch it to the current version? I'm so confused.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have spent about $30 on Combat Mission patches that shouldn't have cost anything anyway.

I am 100% done with Battlefront. I will not buy any of their games that I've been meaning to at this point because they're charging for patches. gently caress them and their lovely practices, DRM, and their poo poo users. Their horrendous performance that they refuse to fix, their archaic protection scheme that's a pain for legitimate users, and their price gouging has finally put me off forever.

Every time I play their games I have to play around their games. Oh, the engine limitation here means I can't do this. Remember to always do this in this specific, exacting manner since their AI is garbage! It's work to play but not in the rewarding sense that this genre is capable of producing. The fact that they're asking for money for the ability to have the AI peak corners or keep spacing is an insult as a customer.

The worst is that this is a niche game in a niche genre. This is the only loving way I can get this experience but gently caress me for thinking it could be reasonable or fun. I literally cannot enjoy these lovely games anymore despite continued trying.

[/loving meltdown]

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have spent about $30 on Combat Mission patches that shouldn't have cost anything anyway.

I am 100% done with Battlefront. I will not buy any of their games that I've been meaning to at this point because they're charging for patches. gently caress them and their lovely practices, DRM, and their poo poo users. Their horrendous performance that they refuse to fix, their archaic protection scheme that's a pain for legitimate users, and their price gouging has finally put me off forever.

Every time I play their games I have to play around their games. Oh, the engine limitation here means I can't do this. Remember to always do this in this specific, exacting manner since their AI is garbage! It's work to play but not in the rewarding sense that this genre is capable of producing. The fact that they're asking for money for the ability to have the AI peak corners or keep spacing is an insult as a customer.

The worst is that this is a niche game in a niche genre. This is the only loving way I can get this experience but gently caress me for thinking it could be reasonable or fun. I literally cannot enjoy these lovely games anymore despite continued trying.

[/loving meltdown]
"Or you could just take a second to realize that you haven't been running a successful grog game business for 20 years and people who have may be doing thing the way they do them because they understand the situation better than you." - paraphrasing an actual battlefront guy from a while back. I really need to dig out the screenshots I took of that thread, it was unreal.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
cmanooooooooooooo has charged exactly 0$ for patches and new (big!) features for lke 3 years ~~~~~~~~~~ *howls at mooon* cmanooooooooooooooooooooooo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
~sets emcon condition A to avoid detection by USS Alechar and his SM-2M-4k-dpi missiles even tho we've rewritten alot (~50%) of the UI to handle the SM-2M-4k-dpi and continue to rewrite the UI~

*quietly now* cmanooooooooooo

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Yeah, grog developers, hurt me more - every old gently caress on every grog dev forum.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
The hoi polloi have not been kind to Battlefront on Facebook..

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Battlefront In The Comments Of Their Facebook Paid Patch Announcement posted:

Steam is not the best place to be for niche market products. But since they radically changed how they handle products (no force sales, no control over price point, no choice in what Steam services to support, etc.) it is being looked at. Still risky though if Steam doesn't produce a greater than 30% increase in sales to make up for their cut of the action. Believe it or not, we've seen data that suggests that's not a sure thing.

Emphasis mine.

I've never developed a game but I know a man who has. I'm sure there are some hosting and listing and etc. fees for Steam to host your game. But are they literally saying it would be a LOSS if they went to Steam? Is that even a possibility for a grog developer who puts their game on Steam but continues to sell the game on Matrix's their own site and distribute Steam keys?

Asking for a friend.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I think >30% sales is a no-brainer given the increased audience Steam provides, so I imagine the hesitation in moving is more related to their business model of charging for bug fixes... which in turn shines a light on their project management capabilities.

In other words, my guess is that it isn't about sales, but a more fundamental problem -- they're unable to fulfill Steam's basic business requirements.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lunsku posted:

Battlefront really can just gently caress right off

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The real problem with steam is that they'll get murdered when they try to release their lovely patches as dlc.

I'm done with them too. That "upgrade" is the final straw for me.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

There would be pages upon pages of bad reviews because of the performance issues. I just built an i7 with a gtx 1080 in it and I still get 25fps if I point the camera at some bocage.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Steam is fairly oversaturated too so there is no guarantee they will see much of an increase. Steam takes out a big chunk they are kinda dicks.

I've run into problems with CM where I put in a new mobo and of course all 4 games break. Of those the 2 I actually have current multi games bf seems unable to fix. They promised to comp me the 4.0 patch but there is no guarantee it won't break my multi games and one of them is a tournament I was winning in. I've been waiting since november for them to fix this problem. I am extremely angry but there is basically nothing I can do about it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baloogan posted:

~sets emcon condition A to avoid detection by USS Alechar and his SM-2M-4k-dpi missiles even tho we've rewritten alot (~50%) of the UI to handle the SM-2M-4k-dpi and continue to rewrite the UI~

*quietly now* cmanooooooooooo

Sorry, you should never use active posting if you want to remain undetected.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baloogan posted:

*howls at mooon* cmanooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Didn't the Slytherine and Matrix guys balk at Steam for years and then see a big rise in sales once there was a way for people to know their games actually loving exist?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I feel like a Combat Mission style game is potentially the least niche of all grog games.

battlefront on facebook posted:

We're a small company making a niche product that very few people are even remotely interested

WW2 tactical combat, folks.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 28, 2016

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Honestly I think Wargame, with a bit slower pace, would probably sate my tactical strategy thirst pretty well.

My peeve is that the old games like CM: Beyond Overlord and CM: Barbarossa to Berlin were more than anything extremely playable and approachable. You could do sensible battlefield tactic things in them in a whole different way than in classically turn based game like Steel Panthers, and yet the presentation was definitely good enough for the times, and you didn't need to bend over backwards to do those things - they are still very playable games!

With CMx2 games there's way more fidelity in what you can do with the non-abstract squads and stuff, but it's way more cumbersome to play (I hope my nostalgia is not striking too hard here, must be like last decade when I last dug out the CMBB disc from the shelf), technically stinks, and critically: these things really have changed gently caress all over what, three iterations of paid patches over ten years? I've liked playing CMBN and CMBS, but the shortcomings just hit me so hard nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I feel like a Combat Mission style game is potentially the least niche of all grog games.

Which is why it's even more niche. :aaaaa:

I don't WANT WitP. I want something dumb, simple, and easily parsed at a glance.