Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It usually tells me to close Titanfall 2 or Photoshop, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

MikusR posted:

When programs start complaining about memory open resource monitor -> memory tab and sort by commit and see which program is eating all the memory. It's probably Chrome.

Assuming the task manager screenshot from earlier was taken when the problem was occurring, he's not having a commit problem as there was ~15GB free of commit. If that was just some random screenshot, then yeah you might be running out of commit.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That shot wasn't technically from the moment it was happening, but I can tell you my commit was 2GB more than the shot when it was complaining. It's one of the first things I checked, since I actually have had problems with my commit in the past (usually when I have chrome open for a few weeks at a time)

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

This probably gets asked every couple pages, but I got win10 home on a new laptop and am not seeing to disable the automatic reboot (I reboot regularly, but I never ever want it to happen without me manually initiating it).
I tried a few things in the registry and task scheduler, but there's still a task to reboot.

E: saw the exact same question a few pages back. looks like I have to do some pretty hacky stuff....

Lhet fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 21, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just need a little help getting a second hard drive on my desktop up and running. It's installed the brand new drive, the computer is picking it up. Now I just need to get Windows 10 to use it right. Im going into management and disk management to assign it a drive letter but then it says that the drive needs to be initialized. Do I pick MBR or GPT? I'm using this second drive to install and run games and save stuff mostly.

For now i do have it assigned as drive D and it's calling it System Reserve.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Use GPT unless you for some reason need backwards compatibility with XP systems or older, it's a newer standard that allows for EFI boot and drives over 2TB. It doesn't really matter if you're never going to boot off the drive and it's <=2TB, but I'm not aware of a downside except needing OS support and it's been around a while now.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 21, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Hour-old fresh install of 10, on a 80 gigabyte disk, somehow thinks it has 3.9 terabytes of "Windows Update Cleanup" it can do.

At least it's not stuck in a BSOD loop after getting the latest Insider build like the last install.

Edit: I like how a machine with just the OS installed already has system error memory dump files too.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

That shot wasn't technically from the moment it was happening, but I can tell you my commit was 2GB more than the shot when it was complaining. It's one of the first things I checked, since I actually have had problems with my commit in the past (usually when I have chrome open for a few weeks at a time)

Last time you had similar issues you said it only happened after something was left open "weeks".

Try a reboot.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Deviant posted:

What the hell is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry, why is it making my disk grind and spin and act like crazy, and how do I make it stop?

I was Googling about that last week for the same reason, and it seems to be this thing:

Some people say that setting it to Basic will stop it from trying to do whatever dumb poo poo it's doing on startup.

Alternatively, some people have killed the service entirely, but I don't know if that's a good thing in the long term.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep posted:

Hour-old fresh install of 10, on a 80 gigabyte disk, somehow thinks it has 3.9 terabytes of "Windows Update Cleanup" it can do.

At least it's not stuck in a BSOD loop after getting the latest Insider build like the last install.

Edit: I like how a machine with just the OS installed already has system error memory dump files too.

The first thing is a bug. Reboot, do it again, should be fine.

The 2nd thing is maybe bad RAM memory or something similar. Not windows.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

redeyes posted:

The first thing is a bug. Reboot, do it again, should be fine.

The 2nd thing is maybe bad RAM memory or something similar. Not windows.

It's a VM so I rather doubt the RAM is at fault here. Also no reason for the BSODs to begin occurring only upon performing an in-place upgrade.

I will say that of the few hundred upgrades we've done this is the first that has utterly broken things, so at least the release track seems to be doing well.

Edit: this is reproducible for us now - installing 1607 then upgrading to 14986 in-place goes from totally stable to random BSODs.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 23, 2016

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Why the hell the "Opens with... | Change" dialog disappear? I also can't find the program I want those files to open with if I go through the control panel, default apps route.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 22, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

Last time you had similar issues you said it only happened after something was left open "weeks".

Try a reboot.

That's what the Chrome thing was referring to

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Mystic Stylez posted:

Why the hell the "Opens with... | Change" dialog disappear? I also can't find the program I want those files to open with if I go through the control panel, default apps route.

Try shift-rightclicking on the file? That'll give you an open-with context menu. Is that what you're looking for?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

evilskillit posted:

Try shift-rightclicking on the file? That'll give you an open-with context menu. Is that what you're looking for?

Woah. I never knew there were secret menu options. These are actually pretty useful.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Just regular right-clicking will give you "Open With"->"Choose Program," with the option to make that selection permanent, won't it?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mystic Stylez posted:

Why the hell the "Opens with... | Change" dialog disappear?
Hasn't for me.

e: I mean: so maybe this goes beyond :argh: Windows 10

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Sheep posted:

Thats an acknowleged bug by MS. It will still cleanup correctly, just the reporting size is whack

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

evilskillit posted:

Ohh, this works, thanks.

A good poster posted:

Just regular right-clicking will give you "Open With"->"Choose Program," with the option to make that selection permanent, won't it?

If I just regular right-click instead of using shift, going with "Open With"->"Choose Program" just straight opens the file without having the option to make it permanent.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 22, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

It usually tells me to close Titanfall 2 or Photoshop, actually

I was getting that too with Titanfall 2 and a GTX 1070. Change texture quality from Insane to Very High. https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/comment/19473/#Comment_19473

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I recently installed Windows 10 Enterprise on my work laptop and I have to say, 1607 works surprisingly well. So far I've only encountered one bug and it has to do with the lock screen turning into a black background. If anyone encounters this, the "fix" for it is to play around with the settings under System Properties -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings -> Visual Effects. Selecting "Adjust for best appearance" should alleviate the problem. Not sure why MS hasn't fixed that yet.

With that said, the most impressive thing that's sold me on Windows 10 is the huge improvement I've seen to RDP performance. I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine with the RDP Gateway role configured. If I were to connect from a Windows 7 machine through the RDP gateway to another Windows 7 machine, performance was choppy and abysmal. However, if I now connect from a Windows 10 Enterprise machine through the RDP gateway to Windows 7, performance is nearly flawless.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

less than three posted:

I was getting that too with Titanfall 2 and a GTX 1070. Change texture quality from Insane to Very High. https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/comment/19473/#Comment_19473

Well, it's not crashing randomly, but I'll try that. Also holy gently caress, it wants to use more than 8GB VRAM?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is Windows Defender enough or should I use Symantec Endpoint Protection. I noticed Symantec turns off Defender when installed.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Defender turns itself off when it detects another AV. It's pretty much the consensus nowadays(at least here at SA) that Defender is superior to aftermarket AV's due to the latter being security risks.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware recommend or any other type of malware protection program? I am using Chrome with uBlock Origin.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only install Malware Bytes on the rare occasion that my system becomes infected.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

Defender turns itself off when it detects another AV. It's pretty much the consensus nowadays(at least here at SA) that Defender is superior to aftermarket AV's due to the latter being security risks.

What's the reasoning behind this? Genuinely curious. Also, what actually is best security practice?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What's the reasoning behind this? Genuinely curious. Also, what actually is best security practice?

Most other anti virus software has to insert its own deep hooks into the system and kernel in order to function. Any fuckup there means malware can use that to give itself access. Sometimes these hooks gently caress things up in other ways, including companies accidentally damaging SSL/TLS certificate security by loving up the way they look into such connections to scan for malware.

Since Microsoft already made Windows themselves and included Defender with it, no extra stuff needs to be included for Defender to function properly. Thus continuing to use Defender doesn't add any extra ways for malware to get in.

Defender also catches all the same poo poo in the real world that all the other anti-malware solutions do, at least the ones that don't require having a whole separate server on your network inspecting all traffic. So the other things aren't offering anything useful to justify the problems they can incur.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

AV programs scan each file when accessed. If one AV scans something that can count as an access, which triggers the other AV to scan, which triggers the first to scan again, in a loop. That's just one possibility, but yeah multiple real-time AV going at the same time makes a mess in various ways.

Best practice is leave Windows Defender alone, and be very mindful of what you allow admin permission.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Housh posted:

Is Windows Defender enough or should I use Symantec Endpoint Protection. I noticed Symantec turns off Defender when installed.

Just wondering here if anyone out there thinks any Symantec products should still be in use? Used to be all the rage back in the XP days for me but ever since MSE/Defender I haven't used anything else.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm not entirely sure why I keep letting myself getting dragged into these stupid discussions, but elsewhere someone tries to convince me that the Windows 7 and 10 kernels are practically the same, because security vulnerabilities span multiple kernel generations and because applications are backwards compatible.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not entirely sure why I keep letting myself getting dragged into these stupid discussions, but elsewhere someone tries to convince me that the Windows 7 and 10 kernels are practically the same, because security vulnerabilities span multiple kernel generations and because applications are backwards compatible.

Well I mean the DNA of a human and the DNA of a housecat are 90% identical, we can both eat mostly the same sort of food, and there are some zoonotic diseases that can affect both cats and humans; so really if you think about it humans and housecats are practically the same.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

codo27 posted:

Just wondering here if anyone out there thinks any Symantec products should still be in use? Used to be all the rage back in the XP days for me but ever since MSE/Defender I haven't used anything else.

If it's currently the 1980's you can put norton utilities on your macintosh. Symantec is garbage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

biznatchio posted:

Well I mean the DNA of a human and the DNA of a housecat are 90% identical, we can both eat mostly the same sort of food, and there are some zoonotic diseases that can affect both cats and humans; so really if you think about it humans and housecats are practically the same.
Well, look at that...

quote:

My uncle is one of the guys who writes your windows patches.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

I only install Malware Bytes on the rare occasion that my system becomes infected.

MalwareBytes has become garbage rear end nagware. The new management has all but run that loving thing into the ground. I re-installed it for the first time in years last time I used Ninite on a fresh install and was immediately reminded of why I haven't used it since they stopped using the red "M" icon: the loving thing spits more pop-ups and Win10 notifications than Microsoft did with GWX

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Turdsdown Tom posted:

MalwareBytes has become garbage rear end nagware. The new management has all but run that loving thing into the ground. I re-installed it for the first time in years last time I used Ninite on a fresh install and was immediately reminded of why I haven't used it since they stopped using the red "M" icon: the loving thing spits more pop-ups and Win10 notifications than Microsoft did with GWX

Its really sad. AND they somehow bought ADWCleaner. gently caress!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gotta monetize the users, mang!

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
I think that pretty much leaves TronScript alone as the last bastion of hope for cleaning up a lovely, infected system now?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
You can stop mbam from running on startup and kill the nag that way. Given that MBAM for Mac and ADWCleaner don't have the same issues I'd have to say I'd rather they get bought out by mbam than any AV firm.

TronScript looks nice but there's a whole :rolleyes: section about how the telemetry is :supaburn: SPYWARE :supaburn: and how you must disable it in order to make the system secure.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Aaaand search broke on both my PCs, seriously MS, what the hell?