Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Enlarge/Reduce Person is a spell :colbert:

Ask Your DM if you have to make concentration checks to maintain the spells for the minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Enlarge/Reduce Person is a spell :colbert:

Ask Your DM if you have to make concentration checks to maintain the spells for the minute.

Just the one minute? :agesilaus:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just the one minute? :agesilaus:

True, there is a 5% chance of rolling a 20 for you to last longer.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Half-kender

Jesus gently caress no

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I wouldn't exactly call the question NSWF but it's not a particularly good question. Is there an opportunity for romance between characters? Sure, why not; whether or not those relationships are sexual or result in productive offspring is sort of irrelevant from my perspective as a DM unless everybody wants and is cool with the question of pregnant/baby characters. Even then I'm more likely to screen wipe for a couple of years and say, "congrats, you've got a three year old now".

Like seriously this flow chart never fails. "Is the group okay with romance? If yes, is the group okay with pregnancy and childbirth? If yes, can you make that work without it becoming the focus of the entire game or retiring the characters? If no to any question, abort."

If two players want to RP a sexual relationship I'm far more interested in what that looks like when they're not having sex then I am about knowing what's happening between the sheets. Intimacy in the form of little harmless dialogue barbs or the like is fun and interesting. Knowing when and how two characters are banging is not. That rules the whole issue for me, not that sex act or its actual results. If the player of an owl man and the player of a robot woman want to hook up and tell a story about their baby, then I'm okay with that in the limits outlined above, no matter how nonviable it is.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

"If yes, is the group okay with pregnancy and childbirth? ... If no to any question, abort."

This made me laugh.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Sage Genesis posted:

Sprites can breed with minotaurs, centaurs, and also giants (with a slight reduction in % of fertility). Jesus Christ, how does that even work?

It's easy. You're not thinking like a 5e designer. The answer is always magic. Enlarge on the Sprite, Reduce on the Minotaur.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mendrian posted:

If two players want to RP a sexual relationship I'm far more interested in what that looks like when they're not having sex then I am about knowing what's happening between the sheets. Intimacy in the form of little harmless dialogue barbs or the like is fun and interesting. Knowing when and how two characters are banging is not.
Yeah this.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I would think that whether or or not two people can make babies together would be mostly irrelevant in terms of the scenarios usually found in D&D. "We can have offspring" isn't a requirement for a romantic relationship.

Mendrian posted:

If two players want to RP a sexual relationship I'm far more interested in what that looks like when they're not having sex then I am about knowing what's happening between the sheets. Intimacy in the form of little harmless dialogue barbs or the like is fun and interesting. Knowing when and how two characters are banging is not.

Yeah, ideally a roleplayed relationship makes for fun/funny dialogue and occasionally drives or starts a subplot. Like Zoe and Wash in Firefly.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 26, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AlphaDog posted:

I would think that whether or or not two people can make babies together would be mostly irrelevant in terms of the scenarios usually found in D&D. "We can have offspring" isn't a requirement for a romantic relationship.
While it's anathema to the kind of D&D I want to play, I've heard enough stories about PC's knocking each other up to know it's something other play groups are into.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The issue I've seen is when in-character relationships start affecting real-world relationships.

This is a very bad problem when it occurs.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Play a Half-Mimic if you want...
  • To be a member of a race that is good at hiding and trickery.
  • To be a member of a race that favours the ardent, warlock or battlemind classes.
  • To have a backstory where one of your parents had sex with a treasure chest.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Ratpick posted:

Play a Half-Mimic if you want...
  • To be a member of a race that is good at hiding and trickery.
  • To be a member of a race that favours the ardent, warlock or battlemind classes.
  • To have a backstory where one of your parents had sex with a treasure chest.

This is why you should never trust gloryholes in a fantasy world. Either they turn out to be a mimic, or they lead to a Sphere of Annihilation.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
We're really rolling initiative with the CR1/2 copypasta instead of stealthing past it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaysette posted:

We're really rolling initiative with the CR1/2 copypasta instead of stealthing past it?

Sometimes it's fun to fight a bunch of low-level enemies and just tear right through them. Or in the case of the aforementioned fertility chart, tear through their cervixes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
here you are, talking about loving treasure chests, yet you all thought I was crazy for talking about whether a fetus counts as a living being for the purpose of a spell component.

im the only sane person in this entire thread

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

here you are, talking about loving treasure chests, yet you all thought I was crazy for talking about whether a fetus counts as a living being for the purpose of a spell component.

is the fetus a component with a listed cost? If not, any wizard can generate as many babies as he wants.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

It's weird that you think these are comparable.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mastershakeman posted:

Life begins at spell component eligibilty

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ask your pope

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

If you can find a way to hold a living foetus in your hands while casting a spell I guess so?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im the half mimic half kender

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's easy. You're not thinking like a 5e designer. The answer is always magic. Enlarge on the Sprite, Reduce on the Minotaur.

i prefer scientific games that model anal circumference

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rigged Death Trap posted:

very nice

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Doresh posted:

This is why you should never trust gloryholes in a fantasy world. Either they turn out to be a mimic, or they lead to a Sphere of Annihilation.

Anybody wanna see my Sphere of Annihilation?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

Think it can handle this Rod of Cancellation?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

crime fighting hog posted:

I've only ever seen Sphere of Annihilation used for traps or comedy. This is a pretty efficient combination of the two.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I just retired a Desert Half-Orc with 18 CHA from a 3.5 game. His first level feat was Nymph's Kiss and the group assumed for a very long time that he was stupid and had fallen in love with a cactus, but in reality he had seduced a Spirit of the Land out in the desert. Just so happens that Wanda was a very cactus-like Spirit of the Land.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Generic Octopus posted:

Think it can handle this Rod of Cancellation?

I heard your rod is actually Immovable

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

lifg posted:

I've only ever seen Sphere of Annihilation used for traps or comedy. This is a pretty efficient combination of the two.

I think the one time we used it in a game I was running was so they could throw a dragonlich's phylactery in it.

Said dragonlich was not happy, keyed onto the location where they were and poo poo went down rapidly. If I recall, I rolled a 1 for his saving throw on a save-or-suck spell and he died instantly after killing 3 of the 5 party members.

loving 1s...

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
So a question about the ranger 2.0; does Natural Explorer require a favoured terrain? Or is it how I read it- it works in any kind of 'wilderness area'?

DM seems adamant that I have to pick a specific terrain for the features to work in, which would really cripple my ranger.

edit: like, the DM cannot comprehend that it'd work in any kind of terrain. "Hunters don't master every terrain."

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Does your GM have the text of the UA Ranger in front of them, or are they still looking at the PHB text of Natural Explorer? The UA Ranger has zero text about choosing terrain types, nor any mention of terrain types. However, the PHB ranger relies upon terrain choice.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

TheDemon posted:

Does your GM have the text of the UA Ranger in front of them, or are they still looking at the PHB text of Natural Explorer? The UA Ranger has zero text about choosing terrain types, nor any mention of terrain types. However, the PHB ranger relies upon terrain choice.

Yeah, they were going off the PHB one at first. But even after reminding them I was using the UA (again) they still thought not having a favoured terrain was dumb. Hence the "hunters don't master every terrain" quote.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Wizards should have to pick a phase of the moon to be able to cast spells in because wizards don't master all lunar phases.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The moon doesn't vanish just because the bard goes away, I assure you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wizards should have to pick one school for all their spells, except cantrips. :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mewnie posted:

So a question about the ranger 2.0; does Natural Explorer require a favoured terrain? Or is it how I read it- it works in any kind of 'wilderness area'?

DM seems adamant that I have to pick a specific terrain for the features to work in, which would really cripple my ranger.

edit: like, the DM cannot comprehend that it'd work in any kind of terrain. "Hunters don't master every terrain."
"Hunters don't, Rangers do."

If he objects on balance grounds explain that the UA gives all terrain because they finally realised that picking individual terrains is really bad game design.

Also in case you didn't catch it, the first few things (ignoring hindering terrain, advantage against anyone who hasn't acted yet etc) occur everywhere, not just wilderness.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wizards should have to pick one school for all their spells, except cantrips. :colbert:

There should not be a single "wizard" class whose area of expertise is "magic". They should be split up into battlemages, illusionists, enchanters, nature wizards etc etc etc where they're all focused, interesting-to-play classes that function well mechanically.

Likewise clerics should be split up by deity type - a cleric of the desert god should be utterly different to the cleric of the sea god, and so on.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Tell him that Rangers master all terrain because Fighters master all weapons.

Don't tell him that Fighters 'master' jack poo poo

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Mewnie posted:

Yeah, they were going off the PHB one at first. But even after reminding them I was using the UA (again) they still thought not having a favoured terrain was dumb. Hence the "hunters don't master every terrain" quote.

Ah yes, D&D at its finest: wizards get to do everything because wizards, and the simple muggles need to be hamstringed because of "realism".

I mean, what are we even talking about here? Being able to forage food in all sorts of terrain? Being able to track sort of well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsuokWmEZI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
How do you handle tracking of spell components for casters? Like if my warlock needs a snake tongue or whatever it may be. I'm asking as a dm, and I don't feel he needs to take time to always find spiders and random stuff for low spells. I understand some of the very rare components for higher grade spells, but what do I do about the little things?