Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Playing TIE fighter makes it tempting to do that. Unfortunately all those theories fall apart once you acknowledge the guy at the top of the org chart who is an evil wizard that shoots lightning out of his hands :(. I never figured out a way to get around it

Clean Imperial Star Navy!

bewbies posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w574XSFPFkk

I dunno if this has been posted yet but I dont know what is going on here

Not sure if character is dreaming and wearing pyjamas or is member of penal battalion?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Clean Imperial Star Navy!

Not sure if character is dreaming and wearing pyjamas or is member of penal battalion?

I've been reading the russia thread too much, but I half expected them to go into slav squat instead of taking a knee at that one part.

Of course they wouldn't, though, I understand that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OwlFancier posted:

I thought they were concentration camp inmates

Oh the other hand, I don't know what Soviet tankers actually wore

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

I guess maybe though that begs the question of where they got the T34 from.

They might explain that though, I can only understand the German.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 28, 2016

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

feedmegin posted:

Also the bit where they talk about Britain as some impossibly distant possibly mythical land. Bitch on a clear day you can see it from NORMANdy with your naked eye.

Wait you can see Britain from Denmark?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Only villains have tailored uniforms.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I've just finished re-reading Flashman, and the role Elphinstone had in the fun and games of 1842 Afghanistan.

Tell me more stories about dangerously incompetent military leaders. People who if you didn't know better you'd think were on the payrolls of the other side.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The entire prussian general staff circa 1805?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Luigi Cadorna, the WW1 Italian general decided that if attacking the alps once didnt work, then doing it twelve times totally would!

Spoilers: It didnt.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

Wait you can see Britain from Denmark?

If you maraude west along the coast just a little bit.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bewbies posted:

The Poles had an entire TV series devoted to a T-34 crew. Apparently the tank, "Rudy" has become something of a pop culture icon in Poland.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38w06x

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alris posted:

I've just finished re-reading Flashman, and the role Elphinstone had in the fun and games of 1842 Afghanistan.

Tell me more stories about dangerously incompetent military leaders. People who if you didn't know better you'd think were on the payrolls of the other side.

Loads of Roman generals might fit the description. There was one that let his entire army get wiped out because he refused to talk to his co-commanders, another pair that bickered so much it led to the disaster at Cannae. Turns out putting two guys in charge of an army might reduce the chance of a coup, but also leads to breakdowns in strategy and the chain of command.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Speaking of, is there any understanding of why some nations are relatively coup-prone while others (like America) haven't ever had any? Are there checks in place to better prevent it, or is it more likely in a more conflicted place, or a place with a precedent of coups? If there was a coup in the US, would it make coups more likely later down the line?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

feedmegin posted:

If you maraude west along the coast just a little bit.

But Charlemagne is scary.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you're a civilian in Star Wars between the end of the Clone Wars and the battle of Yavin, odds are you're part of the Empire, paying taxes and such, or else . If you want to escape their control, you've either got to try your luck in the dangers of the outer rim or the criminal underworld. Fascism is harsh and all, but the rule of law still has its advantages.

Even if you want to take up the sword arms against your oppressor, your odds aren't great. You'd have to find the rebellion before you can get involved, otherwise you're just randomly slinging pipe bombs thermal detonators. I can't imagine the rebels going to high schools and passing out pamphlets datapads. And even if you find them, they're not very likely to give you any training beyond showing you which end of a blaster to point before slapping a helmet on you and sending you off to fight the good fight, so you're probably better off trying to do something like say, go through the imperial academy and defecting (like a lot of rebels did themselves).

So long story short, even if you despise your government and those in charge of it, you're probably stuck working with it one way or another.

Don't forget that Palpatine took over the existing government quasi-legally. So the guys working in, for example, the Galactic Revenue Service in the Empire were probably the same guys working it when it was still the Republc.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Koramei posted:

Speaking of, is there any understanding of why some nations are relatively coup-prone while others (like America) haven't ever had any? Are there checks in place to better prevent it, or is it more likely in a more conflicted place, or a place with a precedent of coups? If there was a coup in the US, would it make coups more likely later down the line?

I think it is a culture institution thing, in the USA the democracy is heavily entrenched via education and history, even the most ignorant of Americans know George Washington didn't become a King and its beaten into our collective consciousness. Since Washington is essentially the patron saint of the US military a general attempting to seize power would run into huge resistance.

Even if our politicians are corrupt as gently caress now the system was set up by the (Im)Perfect Founding Fathers who didn't want a huge military, as a result the US Army early on in US History was a fairly weak force, which realistically probably would lose to the massed state militia's and angry citizens. Once the US Military bloated into the massive force it is today we have centuries of unbroken republican tradition, which would be hard to break unless something insane happened like the entire government dying/nuclear war etc.

Admittedly I am not Latin American, however alot of the same Washington type general figures in their history like Simon Bolivar. Never really handed over power to non-military types and there weren't prominent non-army politicians in the are like Adams/Jefferson etc. and died in office as "president" also the background of the peoples in the regions were somewhat different. I would say Spain had a much more autocratic monarchical tradition than Britain. Although this might digress into creepy :biotruths: direction

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Alris posted:

Semyon Budyonny. Red Army cavalry commander, believed that tanks could never replace horses and since he was Stalin's friend, he got to testify during the Purge that Tukhachevsky was sabotaging the military. During WWII he was responsible for several catastrophic defeats in Ukraine that cost the Red Army around a million soldiers, despite this he suffered no real punishment (again, Stalin's friend) beyond being assigned to reserve commands.

Douglas MacArthur also comes close IMO.

Agean90 posted:

Luigi Cadorna, the WW1 Italian general decided that if attacking the alps once didnt work, then doing it twelve times totally would!

"You see, Austrians have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness I simply sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they ran out of ammo and retreated. Petain, show them the medal I won."

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Koramei posted:

... ... why some nations are relatively coup-prone while others (like America) haven't ever had any?

Ahem ...... you discount that incident on Nov.22 1963????

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nucken Futz posted:

Ahem ...... you discount that incident on Nov.22 1963????

Ahem... this is you joking, right?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ulmont posted:

Any excuse for more Hugo Boss uniforms.

Seriously, people still believe that?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alris posted:

Lloyd Fredendall. That is all.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Koramei posted:

It helps that in many of these countries the USA was backing the coup (Iran, Chile etc.), or the USA or one of it's allies had set up the conditions for an instable state that would be prone to coups (like in Africa after decolonisation).

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Jack2142 posted:

I think it is a culture institution thing, in the USA the democracy is heavily entrenched via education and history, even the most ignorant of Americans know George Washington didn't become a King and its beaten into our collective consciousness. Since Washington is essentially the patron saint of the US military a general attempting to seize power would run into huge resistance.

Even if our politicians are corrupt as gently caress now the system was set up by the (Im)Perfect Founding Fathers who didn't want a huge military, as a result the US Army early on in US History was a fairly weak force, which realistically probably would lose to the massed state militia's and angry citizens. Once the US Military bloated into the massive force it is today we have centuries of unbroken republican tradition, which would be hard to break unless something insane happened like the entire government dying/nuclear war etc.

Admittedly I am not Latin American, however alot of the same Washington type general figures in their history like Simon Bolivar. Never really handed over power to non-military types and there weren't prominent non-army politicians in the are like Adams/Jefferson etc. and died in office as "president" also the background of the peoples in the regions were somewhat different. I would say Spain had a much more autocratic monarchical tradition than Britain. Although this might digress into creepy :biotruths: direction

That sounds like a myth of American exceptionalism, though. Most western countries have not been subject to military coups.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also doesn't Ragnar fall more into quasi-mythical than straight up mythical? I thought he was one of those cases where there are a lot of things that are clearly mystical / mythical / exaggerated / etc about him, but there's also probably a real person (or persons) somewhere at the core of all that.

Yeah, and it's worth noting that he appears in several sources, and probably independently of one another. It's fairly clearly a case where we can say that there is some (and probably, a significant amount) of truth at work there, compared to things like Arthurian stuff.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Kemper Boyd posted:

That sounds like a myth of American exceptionalism, though. Most western countries have not been subject to military coups.

(in the last hundred years or so......)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Kemper Boyd posted:

It really depends on A) what you define as a military coup, B) what's a "Western" country (South/Central America in particular would like a word), and C) how far back you're looking.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't imagine the rebels going to high schools and passing out pamphlets datapads.

Exactly this happened in WWII with the Weiße Rose. School children passing out pamphlets against the Nazi government.

They got their heads chopped off.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Kemper Boyd posted:

I just used America as an example since I'm more confident saying it didn't have any coups. Is there a reason modern European states have also been fairly immune to it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bewbies posted:

My favorite part is the blatant stealing of the deep strings to punctuate stuff from Mad Max: Fury Road. I'm pretty sure they just copied the sound straight from the movie audio.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Agean90 posted:

This is me playing EU4

Also, what's wrong with McArthur? That's a genuine question, not a defensive one. I'm American and all I really know about the guy is the hero mythos now that I think about it, I'd love to be disillusioned.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Alris posted:

If you enjoyed reading about Elphinstone, here, have the entirely fascinating diary of Sir Ian Standish Monteith Hamilton, commander-in-chief at Gallipoli, a man far too decent to be a general, and the All-Empire Doublethink Champion 1915. There wasn't a single inconvenient truth in the world that he couldn't ignore in the name of keeping a stiff upper lip and respecting the chain of command, nor a difficult decision he couldn't dodge for fear of having to be a rotter to someone about it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is me playing EU4

Also, what's wrong with McArthur? That's a genuine question, not a defensive one. I'm American and all I really know about the guy is the hero mythos now that I think about it, I'd love to be disillusioned.

For starters:
An ego the size of Jupiter blinding him to any mistakes and making him too proud to back down even when it's obvious his strategy isn't working. That, and the whole "just nuke the commies, what's the worst that can happen?" incident being pretty representative of his deft geopolitical touch. I'm sure other people more knowledgeable can come up with more specific criticism.

(Insert snarky comment along the lines of "No wonder Trump is apparently in love with the guy")

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 28, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fangz posted:

Are there any notable successful military leaders with a predilection for personally murdering underlings?

I seem to recall something about Mengistu Mariam, former chairman of the Derg junta in Ethiopia, killing people in person, but I can't remember where I saw it, but the wiki doesn't mention it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Crazycryodude posted:

For starters:
An ego the size of Jupiter blinding him to any mistakes and making him too proud to back down even when it's obvious his strategy isn't working. That, and the whole "just nuke the, what's the worst that can happen?" incident being pretty representative of his deft geopolitical touch. I'm sure other people more knowledgeable can come up with more specific criticism.

Just in casual discussion on somethingafwul, he seems to be a controversial figure - I've heard everything from "egocentric but competent general" to "literal IRL Zapp Branigan."

He seems to be convinced he was under divine protection. He apparently had a nervous breakdown when the Japanese attacked the Philippines. He may have gotten tens of thousands needlessly killed when he pushed for retaking the Philippines instead of blockading it. He seems to have been a mostly effective and competent ruler of Japan after the war, particularly the way the guy embraced liberal reforms of Japanese Socitey.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

So he is basically part of the reason hentai exists?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I guess maybe though that begs the question of where they got the T34 from.

They might explain that though, I can only understand the German.

Yes, they're concentration camp inmates. The Germans put them in a tank to test out their newest tanks against the real deal, the plot of the movie is how the T-34 crew is making a break for it.

It's a remake of an old Soviet movie by the same name.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Molentik posted:

So he is basically part of the reason hentai exists?

Japanese sexuality has been it's weird thing way before some white dude showed up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just in casual discussion on somethingafwul, he seems to be a controversial figure - I've heard everything from "egocentric but competent general" to "literal IRL Zapp Branigan."

He seems to be convinced he was under divine protection. He apparently had a nervous breakdown when the Japanese attacked the Philippines. He may have gotten tens of thousands needlessly killed when he pushed for retaking the Philippines instead of blockading it. He seems to have been a mostly effective and competent ruler of Japan after the war, particularly the way the guy embraced liberal reforms of Japanese Socitey.

Don't forget taking massive payments from the Philippines treasury.

Much like the other US general with a massive cult around him (Patton), he suffers from repeated massive failures of professionalism and of treating every element of his profession with due attention, which is why if you had a pick of military leaders you needed to win a war for you there is absolutely no way you would choose him.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Japanese sexuality has been it's weird thing way before some white dude showed up.

Potentially NSFW:
https://goo.gl/images/INXV6v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

It really depends on A) what you define as a military coup, B) what's a "Western" country (South/Central America in particular would like a word), and C) how far back you're looking.

Also Greece, Portugal, Spain, Cyprus all in the last century or so.