Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Improbable Lobster posted:

Chaining Grimer for Power Of Alchemy was easy since I could just knock out the old one to check for the HA.

Speaking of which, what are some silly abilities that Muk can steal? Huge Power seems like a no brainer but is there anything really dumb I could do?

Intimidate will reapply itself when Muk gains it. Surge moves will also apply the terrain again, which is nice if your Tapu dies since you get one last chance to overwrite their terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Star Man posted:

I play mostly at night, which is daytime in Moon Alola.

...the day music will grow on you. :downs:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TFRazorsaw posted:

because the sun and moon iconography is rather important to the game's themes, and the moon typically comes out at night, so for Moon they had it be nighttime when people were most likely to be playing.
"Fun" related fact: The nurse at the Pokemon Center says "you're out late!" if you go in at night.

Anytime at night.

Night starts at 6 PM :shepicide:

they shouldn't shame me for not being a small child

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TFRazorsaw posted:

because the sun and moon iconography is rather important to the game's themes, and the moon typically comes out at night, so for Moon they had it be nighttime when people were most likely to be playing.

I know that virtually everyone associates the moon with night, but I still see the moon in the day for about two weeks out of the month.

Meanwhile, I'm more upset that I can't catch a Rotom in this game that has a Rotom living in my Pokédex.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The whole time displacement might've been also done to give more practical reasons to buy a specific version. Of course if you didn't know about that beforehand, yeah that's gonna suck.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rotom is an rear end in a top hat like that.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Rotom is an rear end in a top hat like that.

I ran into a Rotom in the battle tree with leftovers that struggled itself to death after about 50 turns against my Mudsdale who survived with 3 hp remaining. :shepicide:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Parrotine posted:

That would be hilarious if Super Sentai was the actual reason

Kamen Rider is the actual reason. Bug iconography is heroic in Japan, and the reason Fighting is strong against Dark (Evil) is because Fighting is seen as "Justice" archetype.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Now explain why fairy resists bug.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Haven't you seen all those drawings of fairies where they're riding bugs and stuff?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Magnemite's favorite spot to be petted is its screw. I feel dirty now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So how hard are HA Mareanie to catch?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TheKingofSprings posted:

So how hard are HA Mareanie to catch?

They're an even bigger pain in the rear end than most HAs, because not only are the SOS only, they attack the SOS-er so you can't just use false swipe. Plus you have to check it every time because only Limber will show up in battle, and the pokemon you have to chain is Corsola which will heal itself out of SOS range.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Internet Kraken posted:

if bugs are sentai then fairy are magical girls and no hero gonna punch a little girl

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mazerunner posted:

if bugs are sentai then fairy are magical girls and no hero gonna punch a little girl

hold my drink

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mazerunner posted:

No hero will punch a magical girl, but they are willing to cut them with a knife.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The whole type chart falls apart if you think too much about it, even the ones that make sense at first glance don't - like fresh grass/wood is actually not that great at burning due to all the water in them, the melting point for steel is so high you'd have an easier time burning most other things first, birds eat bugs because they are small, not because birds have some inherit advantage against insects...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Star Man posted:

No hero will punch a magical girl, but they are willing to cut them with a knife.

Steel represents the cold, hard reality of anime not being real.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Avalerion posted:

The whole type chart falls apart if you think too much about it, even the ones that make sense at first glance don't - like fresh grass/wood is actually not that great at burning due to all the water in them, the melting point for steel is so high you'd have an easier time burning most other things first, birds eat bugs because they are small, not because birds have some inherit advantage against insects...

Well, birds are bigger than the insects they eat and might have a beak that lets them get to bugs hiding in holes. I guess you could say that it's an inherent advantage.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Neither which would apply to say, pidgey vs caterpie, since most bug pokemon are as big, and sometimes bigger than the flying types. :science:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Star Man posted:

No steel just represents the traditional weakness of the Fae. I think the Bug resistance is just a reference to the nature connection.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fire > steel isn't melting, it's the steel conducting heat really well so the Pokémon cooks to death unconsciousness.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dabir posted:

Fire > steel isn't melting, it's the steel conducting heat really well so the Pokémon cooks to death unconsciousness.

Fire Pokémon can't melt steel beams.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I don't understand people who say the type chart DOESN'T make sense. Apart from one or two matchups, basically all of them make some immediate logical sense.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I don't understand people who say the type chart DOESN'T make sense. Apart from one or two matchups, basically all of them make some immediate logical sense.

Explain why, in this series where psychics are frequently shown bending metal spoons with their mind, steel resists psychic (without using the phrase "overpowered in gen 1").

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

cheetah7071 posted:

Explain why, in this series where psychics are frequently shown bending metal spoons with their mind, steel resists psychic (without using the phrase "overpowered in gen 1").

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a difference between a small utensil made out of cheap alloy, and a hulking, pseudo-mechanical beast that you could argue doesn't have a natural mind to be assaulted, controlled or tricked by overpowered in gen 1. gently caress.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

tinfoil hats

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Gen 1 psychic types were super OP.

Gen 2 added Steel and Dark, both good against Psychic.

I think this is purely a mecanical balancing act, without them having to directly nerf Psychic. (Back in the day)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

There's a difference between a small utensil made out of cheap alloy, and a hulking, pseudo-mechanical beast that you could argue doesn't have a natural mind to be assaulted, controlled or tricked by overpowered in gen 1. gently caress.

Yeah it's easy to argue most steel types possess brains that aren't handled well by psychics, and forms with extra reinforcement.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What the gently caress good is Dark type if seemingly every psychic type in this god drat game knows Dazzling Gleam?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Dark type is good for NPCs because apparently all my favorite Pokémon are Ghost type and I'll be damned if nearly everything in the game doesn't know some form of Dark move. :ghost:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Enallyniv posted:

Dark type is good for NPCs because apparently all my favorite Pokémon are Ghost type and I'll be damned if nearly everything in the game doesn't know some form of Dark move. :ghost:

bite me

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A game with eighteen elemental types is going to have a lot of questionable advantages and disadvantages.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Enallyniv posted:

Let me tell you I was bummed when I found out Pallossand can't even wall a Gyarados because every single one is packing friggin Crunch. Water Compaction is cool in concept but it just doesn't work anywhere.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That ability really should also negate water like flash fire/sap sipper does. As is I just don't see much point outside of some weird water shuriken gimmick in doubles.

Another weird one is salazzle where the ability is fun in concept but it lacks the bulk to pull it off, so in most cases where you could poison something you otherwise couldn't, you are probably better off fire blasting it anyway. Corrosion would be much better on something like toxapex, whos merciless would actually fit salazzle better too.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Enallyniv posted:

loving this. During my Castform quest I figured Decidueye would be great for chaining normal or fighting types, but nope, every one I fought had a dark type move.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anyone got a spare one of these dudes for trade? I have Moon so I got stuck with the lovely Lady GaGa one

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

greatn posted:

What the gently caress good is Dark type if seemingly every psychic type in this god drat game knows Dazzling Gleam?

because dark is extremely good and psychic is kind of a bad type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Parrotine posted:

the lovely Lady GaGa one

gently caress you.