Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Great googly moogly. You really don't need cable at all with all those free OTA channels. That's impressive.
I mean almost none of those channels are worth watching, but yeah if you just want to mindlessly channel surf it scratches that itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm super jealous of your PBS stations. My kid would be so drat happy if there was a PBSkids station here in ATL. The app works fine but I'd hazard a guess that there would be more content if it was on 24/7 like that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Croatoan posted:

I'm super jealous of your PBS stations. My kid would be so drat happy if there was a PBSkids station here in ATL. The app works fine but I'd hazard a guess that there would be more content if it was on 24/7 like that.

I actually started donating to our local PBS station (WHRO) after cutting the cord and seeing how hard we lean on them. They broadcast PBS HD, World (basically PBS 2 in SD widescreen), PBS Kids (thank you Jesus), and Create (cooking shows, gardening shows, crafting shows) and they're pretty much the first thing we check in our channel guide when the TV goes on.

Become a donor and tell them you'd like a PBS Kids OTA channel, if the chorus gets big enough they'll do it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Delayed update:

All of those channel 63 sub-channels are actually distinct despite having the same name. There really are very few repeats, and I don't think any are overlaps from other cities. It's all LA stuff, since I don't think I can get San Diego here. I don't actually care to receive this many channels, but I use it as a crude benchmark when evaluating different antenna performance and placement for my apartment.

My calculations put you at 171 channels, and I thought the 71 or so channels I was getting from both Cincinnati and Dayton was impressive :psyduck:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Anyone have any suggestions for getting better OTA coverage in my apartment? I live on the ground floor of the building, on the side opposite from where the transmitters are, so I'm not sure I could be in a less ideal location. I should get a pretty substantial selection of channels according to the FTC maps, but I get maybe 9 or so, from three distinct networks, depending on where I put the antenna. I know I'm not in a good place, but it seems like I should be able to pick up a little more?

I'm using the amplified Mohu Leaf.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I finally installed the Winegard pre-amp for my antenna. Thanks whoever recommended that, it works like a champ. I get a solid 76 channels now and 25 of those I kept. The rest are Jesus/shopping/latino/korean programing.

Afterwards I did some reading and finally found a website talking about antennas that wasn't just an online store disguised to look like a cord cutter site. It's disappointing to find out that getting an antenna that will truly get you 100+ mile signals is nothing more than BS labeling. I mean maybe a directional one would but it wouldn't be consistent depending on the weather. Sucks man, there's a few PBS stations just out of my reach.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DirecTV Now is doing a 1 month free trial for anyone still on the fence. Use promo code INTC1MONTH on the payment page.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is it working now?

I just uninstalled it the other day after countless freezes and error QP1502/QP1501. ATV and AFTV were getting them just enough to be infuriating (works fine for 30-60mins and then stops)

Since I got the cheap ATV with it, I still have until end of March before I need to decide to kill the sub for it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've been exclusively DirecTV Now for the past 2 weeks and it's been pretty good. We were watching college football games all day and never saw any errors.

Once in a while we'll get an error it we change channels too fast or if we leave the app to go watch something else and come back a few hours later. But in those cases all we need to do it change the channel and change back and it's good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

I've been exclusively DirecTV Now for the past 2 weeks and it's been pretty good. We were watching college football games all day and never saw any errors.

Once in a while we'll get an error it we change channels too fast or if we leave the app to go watch something else and come back a few hours later. But in those cases all we need to do it change the channel and change back and it's good.

Good to know. I'll re-download it and give it another go.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

A quick recap after catching up,

-Purchase DTVN 3 month promo in AT&T store to avoid getting an ATV4 shipped vs walk out in hand?

-Same thoughts as tngffl for the best indoor antenna. Living downtown in PDX amongst tall buildings gave me poo poo when I went with a leaf 3-4 years ago. I can't run anything outside due to my property company, so I'm hoping for the best inside solution.

-Is TV/box mirroring dead? I looked at Sling again and they look outdated/shady as hell with ads. My parents have a box they hardly use in the guest bedroom that I could rig up but I'm wondering if that tech is dead by this point.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

IuniusBrutus posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for getting better OTA coverage in my apartment? I live on the ground floor of the building, on the side opposite from where the transmitters are, so I'm not sure I could be in a less ideal location. I should get a pretty substantial selection of channels according to the FTC maps, but I get maybe 9 or so, from three distinct networks, depending on where I put the antenna. I know I'm not in a good place, but it seems like I should be able to pick up a little more?

I'm using the amplified Mohu Leaf.

EconOutlines posted:

-Same thoughts as tngffl for the best indoor antenna. Living downtown in PDX amongst tall buildings gave me poo poo when I went with a leaf 3-4 years ago. I can't run anything outside due to my property company, so I'm hoping for the best inside solution.

Maybe get the indoor version of the Winegard preamp that I got? I'm not sure since the mohu leaf is usually the recommendation if you can't go outside or up at all.

This is the one. Winegard LNA-100 Boost Ultra Low Noise TV Antenna Amplifier

Maybe if y'all don't care about looks you could get a big antenna and just install it behind the TV or something? Might work but height and direction are the most important parts.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 28, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

I reinstalled it on the ATV this AM, and I'm fairly satisfied with it now. I had a couple freezes, but quickly swiping right to go up a channel and then left to go back down fixed it.

I'm also fairly stoked that I stumbled across a neat almost-but-not-quite jump to last channel function. If you swipe up to get the main menu, it will have "What's On Now" which lists the most recent channels you've been viewing. I think it's probably the best solution given the limitations of the ATV remote.

Fair warning to everyone else, while the "1 month prepaid = FireTV Stick" and "3 month pre-paid = ATV 4" are good through the end of March, the price for the Go Big package is going to jump from the early adopter price of $35 to the regular price of $60 on Jan 9. I can recommend the service at $35, but not $60 (the Go Big package is the really the only decent tier, IMO). Not sure on the $5/month HBO.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Finally pulled the trigger on DirecTV Now, and it's kinda bullshit that you can't use Firefox or even Edge (and yet IE 11 is okay? What) for it, for no real reason other than, "we said so." The VOD streaming really is dogshit... is there any way to use the DTVNow login to access stuff like the HBO Go app itself and whatnot to stream? Might be easier.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
The 72 hour rewind is rear end, only available for "select" programs and channels. What a stinking load of BS. I know it wont happen, but there is no technical reason as to why the $35 package cannot completely replace my $120 a month DTV bill. All they need to do to make me a keep is enable DVR service that meets or exceeds how Vue works. 72 hour rewind wouldnt be needed but I was hoping that the 72 hour thing would at least be a decent stop gap, but that is useless if it isnt for the shows my wife watches.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

quote:

there is no technical reason as to why

Welcome to cordcutting!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on DirecTV Now, and it's kinda bullshit that you can't use Firefox or even Edge (and yet IE 11 is okay? What) for it, for no real reason other than, "we said so." The VOD streaming really is dogshit... is there any way to use the DTVNow login to access stuff like the HBO Go app itself and whatnot to stream? Might be easier.

With DTVN you can use the Disney's (incl. ABC and ESPN) and the Premium Channels (HBO/Showtime). That's about it for now. The whole thing screamed "We need to get this out the door before the end of the year!"

For me the worst (next to freezing feeds) is the regional sports and NFL stuff they still gently caress up. The main reason I want streaming is as a legal way to watch live sports.

I look at it as "AppleTV for $120 (GoBig + HBO)" with 3 months of service thrown in. It's been more heartache than usable. I'll check it off and on until my 3 months is up, but if they don't make real improvements I'm going to cancel the auto-billing. Until then Vue works great.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cool, so what login do I use on HBO Go?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Cool, so what login do I use on HBO Go?

HBO Go app is activated like any other app with a cable or satellite provider.

You go to settings, it will generate a PIN and give you a URL

Open that on your tablet/phone/laptop/computer and follow the prompts. Don't use the DirectTV icon, there will be a distinct DirectTVNow in the list of providers. During that you will need to authenticate with DirectTV Now, so make sure your browser doesn't reject third party cookies (you can turn it back on after you register your device with HBO)

NOTE: HBO Now app is stand alone sub, but is used with PS Vue. You're just paying for it through PS Vue. For DTV Now and Sling, use HBO Go (I know you mentioned it specifically, just wanted to clarify for anyone else in the thread).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 2, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

flosofl posted:

HBO Go app is activated like any other app with a cable or satellite provider.

You go to settings, it will generate a PIN and give you a URL

Open that on your tablet/phone/laptop/computer and follow the prompts. Don't use the DirectTV icon, there will be a distinct DirectTVNow in the list of providers. During that you will need to authenticate with DirectTV Now, so make sure your browser doesn't reject third party cookies (you can turn it back on after you register your device with HBO)

NOTE: HBO Now app is stand alone sub, but is used with PS Vue. You're just paying for it through PS Vue. For DTV Now and Sling, use HBO Go (I know you mentioned it specifically, just wanted to clarify for anyone else in the thread).

Tried this but it's claiming HBO is not part of our service, even though we clearly have HBO East (wtf is that?), HBO Family, and I think HBO Latino or something like that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Tried this but it's claiming HBO is not part of our service, even though we clearly have HBO East (wtf is that?), HBO Family, and I think HBO Latino or something like that.

Part of that is DTV Now being a poo poo show that was rushed to market.

I had the same problem. I just kept trying on the website and eventually it worked. I think I even got that error message, but it still enabled the app.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

flosofl posted:

Part of that is DTV Now being a poo poo show that was rushed to market.

I had the same problem. I just kept trying on the website and eventually it worked. I think I even got that error message, but it still enabled the app.

Had to do the HBO Go activation on Chrome rather than Firefox, and it worked on the second try.

Streaming on the HBO Go app is smooth, but holy poo poo why are they letterboxing 4:3 shows like Flight of the Conchords on top of the regular black strips? Why does every company suck at this?!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fuzz posted:

Streaming on the HBO Go app is smooth, but holy poo poo why are they letterboxing 4:3 shows like Flight of the Conchords on top of the regular black strips? Why does every company suck at this?!

I'm almost positive at least the first season of Flight of the Conchords actually was 4:3.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Medullah posted:

I'm almost positive at least the first season of Flight of the Conchords actually was 4:3.

I think he's saying it's a letter-boxed 4:3 that's being letter boxed as 16:9. So black bars around the entire frame.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

All of it was, but the app further letterboxes it so it's literally that tiny zoomed in view on a huge TV, rather than just cutting out their letterboxing and letting it be full HD.

flosofl posted:

I think he's saying it's a letter-boxed 4:3 that's being letter boxed as 16:9. So black bars around the entire frame.

Yeah, this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ah gotcha. Reading I see it was filmed in 480i originally, so perhaps they're just matching the original without stretching it to full screen? Says they moved to 1080 after the first season, try a second season episode.

Still dumb, but that would make more sense.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

This is called pillarboxing btw, not letterboxing:

but yes it sucks when they do both pillarboxing and letterboxing (or, worse, multiple levels of either like I gather happened with FotC).

Fuzz posted:

Fuzz posted:

Had to do the HBO Go activation on Chrome rather than Firefox, and it worked on the second try.

When a family member of mine added HBO to their cable package, it took a few days (nearly a week iirc) before they could use the HBO GO app. TV Everywhere definitely has some issues.

e: clarity

astral fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 2, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This looks interesting. Dish announced a single set top box for their SlingTV platform that has a OTA tuner integrated into their channel guide.

quote:

Today, Dish officially announced the AirTV Player, an Android TV streaming device that the company is pitching as “a single platform” for on-demand streaming, internet TV, and over-the-air local channels.
Since it’s an Android TV box, you can install whatever apps you want, but the preinstalled options are Sling TV, Netflix, and YouTube. The AirTV Player also supports 4K streaming from services that offer UHD resolution. The AirTV Player is available beginning today for $129 with a bundled OTA adapter or $99 for just the box itself. It comes with a remote control that allows voice search and has physical shortcut buttons for Sling and Netflix.
With the AirTV Player, OTA channels remain separate from your Sling TV subscription, but they’re integrated into the same channel guide, so everything’s in one place even if it’s coming from different sources. That way, you can choose your monthly Sling TV package based on the cable channels included and without being swayed because one or two of the big four networks is part of the deal.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/3/14149476/dish-airtv-player-netflix-sling-tv-specs-ces-2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Including an OTA tuner seems like a good way to avoid the clusterfuck that is streaming rights for local channels.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That would be pretty neat.

You know what sucks? When you accidentally hold the reset button on a roku too long and have to reinstall almost 50 apps and have to log into each one all over again. :argh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Croatoan posted:

That would be pretty neat.

You know what sucks? When you accidentally hold the reset button on a roku too long and have to reinstall almost 50 apps and have to log into each one all over again. :argh:

Wait that resets everything? What a terrible design to share the same button.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yup. Press to reboot. Press and hold for a few seconds and it resets to factory settings.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the site BTW. https://www.airtv.net/player/

It also comes with $50 in Sling credit if you wanted to go that route.
It would be nice if you could connect a USB drive to get DVR functionality on OTA signals

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Fuzz posted:

Wait that resets everything? What a terrible design to share the same button.

Am I the only one that isn't surprised that a reset button performs a factory reset? This is standard behavior on most embedded devices.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hmm, poo poo, that AirTV Player looks really interesting. I like how the OTA channels integrate with Sling. I'm not really happy with DIRECTV NOW and will probably cancel in March.

[edit] Would prefer the box and remote in all black though. Also, site doesn't say if it has IR. Hope I'd be able to use my Harmony 700 with it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 4, 2017

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

FCKGW posted:

It would be nice if you could connect a USB drive to get DVR functionality on OTA signals

That is what I want. Simple, cheap HD OTA and streaming.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

It looks like you need to buy an "AirTV Adapter" to hook the antenna up to the AirTV. It's $39.99 standalone, or $29.99 if you order it with the $99 AirTV.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flosofl posted:

It looks like you need to buy an "AirTV Adapter" to hook the antenna up to the AirTV. It's $39.99 standalone, or $29.99 if you order it with the $99 AirTV.
Which was mentioned the first time he posted about it.

quote:

The AirTV Player is available beginning today for $129 with a bundled OTA adapter or $99 for just the box itself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Which was mentioned the first time he posted about it.

Yep. Missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheScott2K posted:

Become a donor and tell them you'd like a PBS Kids OTA channel, if the chorus gets big enough they'll do it.

I plan on donating. I'm broke af but I honestly love PBS and I'd love to proudly display a mug at work. Regardless, my TV did a weird thing today. I don't even understand how it did it. My normal PBS channel is this
8-1 PBS
8-2 Create
8-3 Knowledge
That's fine and dandy but as of about an hour ago, 8-4 PBS KIDS showed up when I was flipping the channels and it's on the color bars or whatever. I'm assuming it'll start airing in the next day or so? How in the hell did my TV add a channel? I have a ton of channels that I've hidden. I didn't know that it would add channels unless I went to the "add channel" function or the "search for channels" function. I mean, "thanks TV!" but I still don't get it. What the hell?