Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I also hope the diplomacy with the Skaven is people giving them Warpstone and being like "I loving hate you but I also loving hate the Dwarfs so I'll give you this if you go and wreck their poo poo now :frogout:" and use them as a way to attack your enemies before you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lunethex posted:

I also hope the diplomacy with the Skaven is people giving them Warpstone and being like "I loving hate you but I also loving hate the Dwarfs so I'll give you this if you go and wreck their poo poo now :frogout:" and use them as a way to attack your enemies before you do.

"Kill Beard-things yes yes! We no pay pay until they die die! "

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I want their long victory to culminate in building a superlazer and blowing up Morrislieb or something because it obscured their view of the Horned Rat.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I'd imagine they'll be able to take hold of every Old World settlement like the Elves since they tunneled to them all in the End Times, right?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Panfilo posted:

I want their long victory to culminate in building a superlazer and blowing up Morrislieb or something because it obscured their view of the Horned Rat.

Is that the chaos moon? Because they did that in the very, very stupid End Times series of Unfortunate Events.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

VanSandman posted:

Is that the chaos moon? Because they did that in the very, very stupid End Times series of Unfortunate Events.

Maybe. I just heard something in the Lore that said they blew up the moon.

Also, I heard a rumor that Cathay's monkey warriors were literally monkeys which makes me wish we get an eventual DLC so I can spam sai wielding golden haired monkeys crashing into the enemies flanks.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Someone mind explaining poison? The last part of the description doesn't make sense.

"The poisonous attacks of this unit weaken the target's speed and damage, whilst increasing its vigour."

Whats that supposed to mean.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Someone mind explaining poison? The last part of the description doesn't make sense.

"The poisonous attacks of this unit weaken the target's speed and damage, whilst increasing its vigour."

Probably a typo. What is meant is that it makes the unit more fatigued, which has a variety of negative effects.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Yea that is strange wording. It increases the vigor being used up aka more exhausted.

So as a unit preforms actions its vigor load (or endurance) goes (example numbers) from 0/100, Fresh to 100/100, Exhausted. The penalties for higher states of exhaustion are pretty high like -20% to melee stats.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Anyone know of mod that lets heroes take council slots for the empire/wood elves?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Panfilo posted:

They could even copy some elements of the amber system (warpstone tokens to gate certain techs based on Skaven clans, but unlike wood elves its only temporary until you assimilate that clan as you unite all of them. So if you were Pestilens you'd get globadiers and other poison units, but would have to pay tokens for Rat Ogres or Warplock Jezzails. This could also mean your agents are based on your clan as well, Warlock Engineer, Assassin, Pack master, etc.

Lookin forward to dinos vs ratmen in the sequel.

Do it backwards so Warpstone is something that harms you if you stockpile it, but that also powers all your good units, so you have to constantly be on a teeter-totter churn to try to balance this finicky poisonous resource.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was planning on buying the upcoming disk release with the assumption that it was a sort of GotY version with most of the DLC. Someone told me thats not true and its actually just the base game with bretonnia.

If thats how it is I should just buy the game now right?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Fauxtool posted:

I was planning on buying the upcoming disk release with the assumption that it was a sort of GotY version with most of the DLC. Someone told me thats not true and its actually just the base game with bretonnia.

Yea all that it really includes extra is probably a fancy case and a novella.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I don't know what's in the Old World edition (or whatever it's called) but the base game is fun and fairly complete. The DLCs add more starting options for the existing factions, and unlock more playable factions (which will appear in the game as AIs even if you don't have the DLC). There are fairly detailed summaries across the past few pages, a lot of people have been asking. I'd say go for it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Fauxtool posted:

Probably best to just buy the base game and then buy DLC later if the content looks interesting as you run across it. Literally everything added through DLC shows up in the main grand campaign - new factions, new races, new units, elite special units are all there for the AI to use and you to fight against. The same holds for multiplayer except with other players using DLC factions instead of the AI.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ZearothK posted:

On the other hand, they did make Alien: Isolation, so they have talent for more than iterative development through Total War games.

I stand corrected and now support CA doing new things.

Lunethex posted:

Also taking Skavenblight should be owned by the Council and taking it should trigger realm divide.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 28, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Every few turns Skaven Heroes should just get new names and switch portraits to represent another Skaven backstabbing themself into place.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

VanSandman posted:

That was one of the actually Cool and Good things in the End Times.

They need to just not try to balance Skaven. Give them tons of goblin-tier infantry (but with worse morale), and make everything else they've got absurdly powerful, but with a very, very decent chance of loving their own poo poo up.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tardcore posted:

Don't forget they're making Halo Wars2 right now, a much more traditional RTS, as well
The last time CA made a non-tw rts they ended up with Stormrise.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Geisladisk posted:

That was one of the actually Cool and Good things in the End Times.

Uh wasn't the Skaven using rat magic to pull morrslieb closer to the world and blowing it up literally what starts Age of Sigmar aka The Laziest Setting Hey Remember Space Marines?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Martout posted:

Uh wasn't the Skaven using rat magic to pull morrslieb closer to the world and blowing it up literally what starts Age of Sigmar aka The Laziest Setting Hey Remember Space Marines?

No, that starts when Manlet Von Carstein stabs Balthazar Trump in the back for building a great wall around Sylvania while the good guys are making him the embodiment of the wind of metal and the giant fuckup that ensues opens a chaos portal in Altdorf and everyone dies.
Morrsleib blowing up just kills off all the factions nobody cares about like Estalia so writers don't have to include them.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
It's at the moon's exploding where the best race, Lizardmen, say gently caress this lovely story and blast off in Aztec pyramid spaceships.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Here's how I'd do Skaven.

When you recruit a lord he comes with 19 units of free Skavenslaves. Every stack is a full 20 of garbage skaven trash.

All units are attachments to your basic swarm of Skavenslave trash. A unit of stormvermin is a rigid formation of elite dudes surrounded by a blob of Skavenslaves. 12 rat ogres backed up by 120 skavenslaves. And so on.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Nanomashoes posted:

No, that starts when Manlet Von Carstein stabs Balthazar Trump in the back for building a great wall around Sylvania while the good guys are making him the embodiment of the wind of metal and the giant fuckup that ensues opens a chaos portal in Altdorf and everyone dies.
Morrsleib blowing up just kills off all the factions nobody cares about like Estalia so writers don't have to include them.

that actually does make the moonsplosion better!

warhams

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
A truly sneaky git.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

This needs to be in one of the OPs.

i'll have this post.... kid

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The only good part of the End Times is that Grimgor starts marching east and doesn't stop until he hits Japan and along the way he destroys chaos so hard they leave the east forever.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Nanomashoes posted:

The only good part of the End Times is that Grimgor starts marching east and doesn't stop until he hits Japan and along the way he destroys chaos so hard they leave the east forever.

I sure hope it's a typhoon that finally stops him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nanomashoes posted:

Then they write Archaon killing him easily to avenge what they had to retcon, because in the old Storm of Chaos Grimgor just punched him the gently caress out, declared he wasn't worth killing, and moonwalked off.

Which is the appropriate reaction to Archaon.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Night10194 posted:

Then they write Archaon killing him easily to avenge what they had to retcon, because in the old Storm of Chaos Grimgor just punched him the gently caress out, declared he wasn't worth killing, and moonwalked off.

Which is the appropriate reaction to Archaon.

End times continues to disappoint. What a surprise.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yukitsu posted:

End times continues to disappoint. What a surprise.

Everything about the End Times was bad.

But the bits that were specifically GW throwing a tantrum about how the original Storm went were some of the worst.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Endtimes.txt:

GW: "ChaosChaosChaos"
The rest of the world: "meh"
GW: "CHAOSCHAOSCHAOS"
The rest of the world: "Grimgor"
GW: *takes ball and goes home retcons literally everything in a fit of rage and money-grubbing*

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The best part is the early villain was Nagash the first Necromancer and the reaction from the readers was "YES THANK gently caress SOMEONE OTHER THAN CHAOS! Maybe they won't even be that important in this!"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So they did the end times twice? Are they retarded?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Yes.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

But the bits that were specifically GW throwing a tantrum about how the original Storm went were some of the worst.

Yeah, I get the distinct feeling that The End Times was at least in small part GW throwing a tantrum because their Storm of Chaos event (which was an actual tabletop campaign in which the players' collective match results determined how the results played out) went rear end end up when the writers tried to strongarm the greenskins in with the forces of Chaos. The Greenskin players collectively said "gently caress That" and revolted, submitting match after match against chaos - causing the final result to be "Chaos betrayed by greenskins, Grimgor interrupts Archaeon in his moment of victory by headbutting him unconscious and causing the chaos line to fail and rout while Grimgor moonwalks back to the badlands. The End Times was GW doing their Storm of Chaos without the pretense of player patricipation so their super special mary sue generic badman gets to blow up the world.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 28, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

There was an event called storm of chaos that was sort of the end times lite and it had to be retconned out of existence because Chaos got their asses kicked (plot was determined by the results of in-store tabletop games) and it ended when Grimgor sneak attacked (ball kicked) Archaon and one shot him.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Night10194 posted:

Strongly disagree. While ET was a shitfest Settra The Imperishable comes out of it like a total loving badass and even though he has a fade-to-black ending it's by no means indicated that he died, instead he declared eternal vendetta against the Chaos Gods for ever daring to suggest he work for them and was last seen single-highhandedly slaying greater daemons left and right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Orc players did give the middle finger to GW in several moments, like the Storm of Chaos, where they banded together and fought for the Order faction, or the Eye of Terror 40k campaign, where a large coalition of Ork players organized a large movement (da Green Kroosade) and set their own objectives for the campaign instead of following GW's rules for them, with huge success. I think GW stopped doing interactive campaigns after those experiences.

• Locked thread