Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thats impossible as DOOM is GOTY. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
never did get around to playing Portal 2 so grabbed it on the cheap

gonna try it out now!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Cross-posting from the RE thread because this needs to be seen by all: An original RE trailer with incredibly appropriate music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psGKXEbT0s

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OK I beat Axiom Verge. It was good and I enjoyed the entire thing the whole way through and it never got bad so I dunno what you guys are talking about.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Dewgy posted:

Cross-posting from the RE thread because this needs to be seen by all: An original RE trailer with incredibly appropriate music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psGKXEbT0s

I really like this style of game trailer.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i bought crysis in the steam sale and now i'm sad crytek will never make another hilariously janky, terribly optimized linear stealth fps with ridiculously open level design and fun guard ai

at least there's also crysis warhead...

e; other thing i'm sad about: crytek giving up, on putting "cry" into the title of every game they develop

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 28, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mak0rz posted:

OK I beat Axiom Verge. It was good and I enjoyed the entire thing the whole way through and it never got bad so I dunno what you guys are talking about.

My favorite moment was the rusalka true body reveal, legit spooked me. That or the fever dream which was, well, fitting to what it was. AV has a bunch of great moments.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Colonel posted:

e; other thing i'm sad about : crytek giving up, on putting "cry" into the title of every game they develop

I think after Ryse they realized they were probably stretching it a bit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i forgot ryse even existed until now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mak0rz posted:

I felt the final boss was a bit of a wet fart but IMO the game only gets bad when you try to 100% the son of a bitch

Pro tip do not try to 100% Axiom Verge, the location of some items is literally poo poo-you-not RNG

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I 100%'d axiom verge and some of the hidden stuff is complete bullshit to get. If you embark on that madman's journey, be sure to bring a FAQ.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh by the way apparently Turkey is investing $500 million into Crytek and they are moving the office from Germany to Turkey? :psyduck:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

LawfulWaffle posted:

My friend did after we had all watched Over the Garden Wall and I explained my interest in using the rock as my avatar (and explaining the appeal of the SA forums). She also knit/crocheted a Puppycat and a Metal Gear Fox/D-Dog for my wife and I, and sculpted me a minifig like thing of myself for my birthday. I have the minifig at my office, but here's a photo of the other ones.

She's a good friend.

E: I don't know if she gave me the rock before we moved and I misplaced it or if she still has it. I am a bad friend.

This is amazing, love that knit Puppy Cat. My wife knitted a Finn and Jake last month that I'll have to get pictures of when I get back from vacation and post.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

mutata posted:

Oh by the way apparently Turkey is investing $500 million into Crytek and they are moving the office from Germany to Turkey? :psyduck:

That was a fake rumour unless something changed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ciaphas posted:

Pro tip do not try to 100% Axiom Verge, the location of some items is literally poo poo-you-not RNG

What?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

mutata posted:

The three founding brothers are Turks, but there's been nothing but rumours going around.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

There are 4 weapons where only 2 spawn each game (or something similar) and the location of those are "random".

Not really, every world has a few set points where you can enter the glitch/secret areas and the weapons are always in there

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Axiom Verge, and something like Odallus, are to me shining examples of why those types of indie/retro/pixel games have absolutely no use for a story and their inclusion is only ever to their detriment. Everyone seems to think they have the writing chops to be as clever or charming as the Shovel Knight folks and they fail every time. If a short intro right before the title/menu screen is all that was needed for a NES game then it's all these games should've used as well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

of course we'll be psn friends. it's profhalogen. but i wish it were oddium. or oddiummm

VideoGames posted:

My PSN is pyrrrho. If anyone in this wonderful thread wants to add me then I welcome plenty of new gaming friends!!

i hjave added you both

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

Axiom Verge, and something like Odallus, are to me shining examples of why those types of indie/retro/pixel games have absolutely no use for a story and their inclusion is only ever to their detriment. Everyone seems to think they have the writing chops to be as clever or charming as the Shovel Knight folks and they fail every time. If a short intro right before the title/menu screen is all that was needed for a NES game then it's all these games should've used as well.
The story in Axiom Verge isn't bad. You're a clone who thinks he's the original going and killing another clone who thinks he's the original. And it is wonderfully, delightfully vague on whether the Rusalka are truly evil or not.

Dunno how I feel about the post-credits scene though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's incredibly hamfisted with extraordinarily terrible dialogue. All it needed to do was be like Metroid and let the environments/music/art direction inform the story and atmosphere, because those are all solid in this case. Normally I'd say if you had to have some sort of background delivered to the player in-game you could do it via logs you find in the game's world, but AV did have those and they were essentially gibberish.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This thread is going to disown me because of my initial impressions on Bloodborne.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bicyclops posted:

This thread is going to disown me because of my initial impressions on Bloodborne.

It's particularly brutal in the beginning, much more so than the souls games imo

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

It's particularly brutal in the beginning, much more so than the souls games imo

Like how many hours until i stop hating every second i play it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's not even that it's hard, honestly, it's that I don't have any clue what's going on. Hard is fine. I don't mind that I'm getting brutalized by dogs and losing my points and starting over, I knew the game would be challenging. And I don't mind an RPG asking me to determine stats and pick weapons without information because lots of them do that.

But I don't know why I'm in Victorian spooky town, I don't know what the points represent or even do, I don't know why there are monsters and insane people and why they're trying to kill me or why I want to kill them. The tutorial floor skeletons tell you how to use one of your two weapons, but not that you have to equip them first. There are four slots and I don't know if it makes a difference which slot I've put my weapon in. The only thing to contextualize the game for me was a not-great 10 second CG movie with an eyeless guy. I assume that the story will sort of get introduced to me, but I kind of doubt the game will ever explain how I even use my blunderbuss, and the fact that I am basically going to have to look it up online is frustrating. I get why people complain about tutorials, and they should always be skippable, but this is what happens when there isn't one. It's just atmosphere with a whole lot of confusion, and it makes the beginning of the game feel kinda weak IMO

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

It's not even that it's hard, honestly, it's that I don't have any clue what's going on. Hard is fine. I don't mind that I'm getting brutalized by dogs and losing my points and starting over, I knew the game would be challenging. And I don't mind an RPG asking me to determine stats and pick weapons without information because lots of them do that.

But I don't know why I'm in Victorian spooky town, I don't know what the points represent or even do, I don't know why there are monsters and insane people and why they're trying to kill me or why I want to kill them. The tutorial floor skeletons tell you how to use one of your two weapons, but not that you have to equip them first. There are four slots and I don't know if it makes a difference which slot I've put my weapon in. The only thing to contextualize the game for me was a not-great 10 second CG movie with an eyeless guy. I assume that the story will sort of get introduced to me, but I kind of doubt the game will ever explain how I even use my blunderbuss, and the fact that I am basically going to have to look it up online is frustrating. I get why people complain about tutorials, and they should always be skippable, but this is what happens when there isn't one. It's just atmosphere with a whole lot of confusion, and it makes the beginning of the game feel kinda weak IMO

The story is not gonna reveal itself beyond vague clues. The gameplay you learn by doing. Shoot your gun right when an enemy is about yo hit you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The game does not teach you about the Blunderbuss explicitly. Instead what happens is that early on you're put up against a boss with basically the same skillset as you and you're expected to learn by realizing everything you can do he can do and vice-versa. It's actually a pretty clever way to handle it. The early areas are easy enough to stumble around until you reach him and then you're forced to confront a guy on your level who uses your tactics until you can beat him at his own game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

There's nothing stopping you from hitting buttons on your controller

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Loose Ifer posted:

Like how many hours until i stop hating every second i play it.

For me it was 0. And then I went for another 200 for the hell of it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

The story is not gonna reveal itself beyond vague clues. The gameplay you learn by doing. Shoot your gun right when an enemy is about yo hit you.

How do you even shoot the gun, though?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

in case you ever forget, you have to turn the console AND your TV on to play the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

How do you even shoot the gun, though?

You can read the manual for controller tips and such. I know its barely highlighted and people largely don't know about them but every game on consoles has a manual if you pop out to the home screen and look at the game in the list. It will probably help with learning the controls.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

These gaming consoles are too young for an old egg like me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I dunno, I don't think it's totally unreasonable to expect a game to teach the basics of combat in a day and age when it isn't just pressing one of the buttons, but holding buttons, holding buttons and pressing other ones, and a whole lot of combo stuff are basically embedded into every game. Vague clues as to the story are fine, but I don't feel like I started with vague clues. I'm not going to give up on it, but I don't think this is a case of the game "not talking down"- it's not talking at all yet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There are a ton of notes around Hunters Dream that should tell you pretty much all the basics.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wait a minute what about those messages on the floor in the hub world, don't they tell you how to use them?

edit: Yeah dude beat me to it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

These gaming consoles are too young for an old egg like me.

At least stay in until Nintendo starts doing wetwear.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It is my estimation that 100% of people who love Souls games started off by hating their first one so I think he'll be ok.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i didn't really get into bloodborne either but not because of obscure controls or plot or anything. i think i would need to burn out on eu4/hitman/nuclear throne at the same time before i could sit down and go "yeah wanna play bloodborne"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

It is my estimation that 100% of people who love Souls games started off by hating their first one so I think he'll be ok.

I loved my first one, demons, even though it took me like 7 hours to beat 1-1. Actually that process is what made me love the game probably

• Locked thread