Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I mean I'm not exactly professional (or even fluent) and I definitely wasn't when I did the LP but there's a difference between "intermediate" or "needs writing practice" and "literally does not know how letters work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nages posted:

Translation patches are hard
sing????

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
They are hard ok

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

sing????

Maybe Gamlin is the one translating it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe Gamlin is the one translating it.
that's my new headcanon

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Okay I don't understand this at all because most of it is clearly from Atlus (Alert, Fury, and Faith are major signs) and then you have Aim, Yell, SGuts, and what the flying hell is Blur? (tlnote: Blur is かく乱, you may have guessed. Kudos for trying very hard to fit it into five characters, I guess, but...)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, the five characters thing is probably why. Considering they couldn't even remove the dot in the western character's names, they probably couldn't hack the game to allow for more than five characters in the spirit names. I imagine when I get to it that Courage will become 'Brave'.

So Strike became Aim, we got S Guts, and, uh, Blur? Blur's the weird one because there's gotta be a better way to put 'Disturbance' into five letters. Like, uh, Panic.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I've always used Panic, myself. Invincible was the one I allowed myself and only because I committed early on; I've been thinking "Block" or "Steel" are up for grabs.

SGuts is bullshit because I believe Atlus wrote "Vigor."

e: "Yell" was "Spirit" in OG2 so yeah it's a five character limit. Same with "Charg" and "Assail" (though if you're already changing it I'd use "Rush").

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 28, 2016

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I played an earlier version of that patch years ago and I'm pretty sure it used to be Conf for confusion, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like 'grit,' which is what the translations of the touhou SRW games use for invincible.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Grit always strikes me as one of the 根性s but maybe that's just me.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't blame the translator for not wanting to shorten Analyze to its first few letters.

Scale is still weird though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"Study?" "Probe?"

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Grit is what Atlus used in OG1 and OG2 for the take 10 damage from the next attack spirit.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Invincible/Grit spell wasn't in the GBA versions of OG1 and OG2.

It could be from Endless Frontier, which had spirits that used mostly the same names, and got an official localization.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

GimmickMan posted:

The Invincible/Grit spell wasn't in the GBA versions of OG1 and OG2.

It was in OG2! I think.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If it was in OG2, then Akurasu is wrong. I'm fairly sure Ryusei had Alert instead of Grit in the GBA games and I've never not used the SRX a lot so I trust my memory there.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Well I guess that was shared hallucination I guess because I remember Arado having it but maybe that was what they used for it in the translation patch for J or something.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Nages posted:

Well I guess that was shared hallucination I guess because I remember Arado having it but maybe that was what they used for it in the translation patch for J or something.
The J patch uses "Wall" for that spirit command. Most likely for character spacing reasons.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Who the gently caress knows. I know I have seen grit used for that spirit name before the FMW patches.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nages posted:

Who the gently caress knows. I know I have seen grit used for that spirit name before the FMW patches.

Alpha Gaiden maybe?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Prism posted:

Alpha Gaiden maybe?

Grit didn't exist until Alpha 2.

I also just double-checked, totally ready to prove GimmickMan wrong in court, but nope he was right, no Grit in OG2. Anyway Grit's a good word and I like to keep it for that term.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

battle moon wars?

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Prism posted:

Alpha Gaiden maybe?

Endorph posted:

battle moon wars?

I haven't played either so probably not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i dont mean to pick on this patch too much but

jesus, poor xingke

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
How did they switch those?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaylee Xing is a nice person, stop being mean to her.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

How did they switch those?

My guess is that one was in the "first name" slot and one was in the "last name" slot, and they did some kind of blanket reverse for them with non-Gundam names, since non-Gundam names tend to be lastname-firstname. It's an easy thing to miss.

Either that or they might have assumed Xing was the last name and Ke was the first name??

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgjhYxh7I64

Kouji looks wrong with no sideburns.

The music's good, at least.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hokuto posted:

My guess is that one was in the "first name" slot and one was in the "last name" slot, and they did some kind of blanket reverse for them with non-Gundam names, since non-Gundam names tend to be lastname-firstname. It's an easy thing to miss.

Either that or they might have assumed Xing was the last name and Ke was the first name??

I don't think SRW has a consistent name-formatting situation because you have Asian names, Western names, and single names all at once. Every character has a full name and a short name and that's the extent of it.

As for ordering, it's Li Xing-ke and the Chinese is in that order in the original. They could have assumed it was Li-xing Ke and inverted it but that seems doubtful because they didn't put a space in the name and

Karen's name is in the order it appears despite it being Japanese order (ignore that it also has no spaces, nothing about this is consistent).

It also seems dubious that they'd work out or find out the proper Pinyin spelling (as opposed to, for instance, taking kanji reading, or reading the character profile which writes it "Li Shinkuu" for the benefit of Japanese readers) without having at least seen how Chinese names are formatted but at this point I don't know what to believe.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Tranzor Z for SRW please.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 28, 2016

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

name stuff

Now I'm more confused than when I started. :psyduck:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Sordas Volantyr posted:

wait did they actually edit out kouji's sideburns

but

but why

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

if it's anything like in SRW AP, they just translated the first name and last name separately, and currently they are probably unable to make hard changes to the interface (like swapping the order of first name and last name).

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Sing?? is definitely badass and should stay that way

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So for the "english" version of SRW, how English is it? Are all menus and stuff in English too or just dialog? I didn't pick up Moon Dwellers but I want to grab V. I can handle machine translated dialog if the menus/skills/items are in English too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

So for the "english" version of SRW, how English is it? Are all menus and stuff in English too or just dialog? I didn't pick up Moon Dwellers but I want to grab V. I can handle machine translated dialog if the menus/skills/items are in English too.

Everything is translated. Some of the menu stuff is awkward but it's perfectly playable. We can't say V yet because it isn't out yet but MD was playable if not great.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Luceid posted:

Sing?? is definitely badass and should stay that way

really just change every action to have multiple ?s at the end of them

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Everything is translated. Some of the menu stuff is awkward but it's perfectly playable. We can't say V yet because it isn't out yet but MD was playable if not great.

Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm going in assuming that the dialog is like SAO level machine translated? Or is it better than that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm going in assuming that the dialog is like SAO level machine translated? Or is it better than that?

Yeah, it's basically HK fansub quality level. It's not entirely incoherent but it stumbles on a lot of stuff, especially with regards to humor/puns/ect and a lot of the word choice is clearly not something ever run by an editor.

This is about the 'average' level basically. At worst you get bizarre incoherence.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

This is about the 'average' level basically. At worst you get bizarre incoherence.

what a drat itty operator

• Locked thread