Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Imperialist Dog posted:

Haha check out this cringe 1999 educational video for English.

"I believe we can see a different way of life in the East" yes sure you smarmy Brit

https://youtu.be/wuOIGaWlDOQ

This reminds me of something I think I might have brought up before. English textbooks for Chinese students tend to feature a lot of, "Hello foreigner! This is China! In China we do it this way, oh and this is Chinese food, also the Great Wall, you know?" I thinks it's a pretty sharp contrast to language textbooks I had growing up which usually featured an English speaker going to the country where that language is spoken and learning about THEIR country, history, culture, food, etc.

Haier posted:

Kinda on topic:

My favorite part is when I tell a white person, "you should probably just say Asian-" then they huff and puff about political correctness. And then I tell them it's not about being politically correct, it just avoids calling a non-Chinese person Chinese and they can't seem to wrap their minds around it.

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Haier posted:

Kinda on topic:

not all white people are americans obsessed with their ancestors!!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nickmeister posted:

This reminds me of something I think I might have brought up before. English textbooks for Chinese students tend to feature a lot of, "Hello foreigner! This is China! In China we do it this way, oh and this is Chinese food, also the Great Wall, you know?" I thinks it's a pretty sharp contrast to language textbooks I had growing up which usually featured an English speaker going to the country where that language is spoken and learning about THEIR country, history, culture, food, etc.

Interesting, I don't teach English here so I haven't seen any Chinese English textbooks. It was like that in Korea though. Every lesson in a Korean English textbook is this:

A) The Korean characters bring the Foreign character(s) to something Korean. Event, food, whatever.
B) The Foreign characters are bumbling idiots and corrected by the Koreans.
C) The Foreign characters exclaim how wonderful the Korean thing is and how great Korea is.

Every drat time.

And yes, when I learned languages in the US the books were always about the target language's country and had zero to do with the US.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

Kinda on topic:

Now, tell me if you feel a strange tingling in your pants, or if this enrages you and the word SAUPREIßN! comes to your mind when you listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3i17f9IhPg

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Haier posted:

Kinda on topic:

I mean, sure, not all Asians are Chinese but if you had to choose, it seems like the safest guess...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I mean, sure, not all Asians are Chinese but if you had to choose, it seems like the safest guess...

Or you could just ask them

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So Khan, are ya Chinese or Japanese?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Even my textbooks here are always about something nice about Taiwan, but in polite little "thanks for noticing us!" ways. Chapter One: Welcome to Taiwan. Chapter Two: Taiwanese fruit is very delicious. Chapter Three: Taiwan has many beautiful mountains.

Also, because of all the Latin American students, one of the main male characters is Honduran.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

And yes, when I learned languages in the US the books were always about the target language's country and had zero to do with the US.

It didn't have all the "wow your country sure is so great" stuff much iirc but when I learned Chinese in school in the US the textbooks were set in exotic Australia with an Australian kid showing a Chinese immigrant around in Australian suburbia and school. It was kinda weird come to think of it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Murray Mantoinette posted:

My wife and I were in Hartford and we saw an Asian man snow blowing his driveway and my wife asked if we could go and watch him, because she had never seen a snowblower. So we did, and he came over and talk to us for a few minutes, and was super nice. Then we left, and while we were leaving my wife asked me "where is he from?" And I responded I have no idea, and my wife asked me if we could go back and ask him, and I said no, and she said why not? And I tried to explain to her how offensive this could be in the United States, and she was like who cares? And I was like yeah I know it's kind of dumb

I am p sure he was Chinese

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

My wife and I were in Hartford and we saw an Asian man snow blowing his driveway and my wife asked if we could go and watch him, because she had never seen a snowblower. So we did, and he came over and talk to us for a few minutes, and was super nice. Then we left, and while we were leaving my wife asked me "where is he from?" And I responded I have no idea, and my wife asked me if we could go back and ask him, and I said no, and she said why not? And I tried to explain to her how offensive this could be in the United States, and she was like who cares? And I was like yeah I know it's kind of dumb

i'm pretty sure he was japanese as he didn't just pour hot water over the snow, as is tradition in china and korea

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeoh posted:

i'm pretty sure he was japanese as he didn't just pour hot water over the snow, as is tradition in china and korea

People clearing snow with hoses and then being flummoxed why there's ice everywhere is still my favorite thing in Korea.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Koramei posted:

It didn't have all the "wow your country sure is so great" stuff much iirc but when I learned Chinese in school in the US the textbooks were set in exotic Australia with an Australian kid showing a Chinese immigrant around in Australian suburbia and school. It was kinda weird come to think of it.

What was strange? That the Australian tried to speak a foreign language instead of calling him a slur?

It would seem dumb to people who don't have to put up with being from a country but being assumed to be a foreigner all the time. How did he speak? Did he have an accent? Sometimes it's easier to ask someone what their ethnicity is rather than where they're from, since that's what most people want to know anyway.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
his English was excellent but he definitely had an accent and I think was not a native English speaker, like I don't think having a conversation with someone and being like "where ya from?" is that rude and I have pretty much asked if my entire life but over the past five or so years I've kinda stopped asking people because you never know when someone is going to be like "what are you implying because of my race I'm not an American? Are you a racist?" and I just don't care enough to know where someone is from to go through all that

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I guess it depends. I don't think a simple, "where are you from?" should warrant accusations of racism, but it really depends on the follow up. If that guy told you he was from Chicago, would you follow up with a, "no, where are you REALLY from? :smug:" or do you just leave it? Because what annoys me is:

"Where are you from?"
"Boston."
"Um... you were born there?"
"Yeah."
"Uh... where are your parents from?"
"Boston."
"Oh, uh... really?"
"My father was born in Boston, my mother was born in Massachusetts, she moved around New England a lot when she was young, though."
"Er... do you speak any other languages?"
"No..."
Person sighs like a frustrated police detective who can't get a criminal to open up about their crimes.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah don't be goony about asking people where they are from, I agree

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
It's not goony, it's really common.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There was this dude I knew in China who always hated how people would ask where he's from, and then one night we were out and we met two girls from Spain, and when he learned they were from Spain he said "Hola, me encanta enchiladas! Haha!" And they walked away and he couldn't figure out why they didn't find it funny. I was like dude r u kidding me

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nickmeister posted:

Yeah I dunno, I've never really asked people like that before, if someone tells me they are from Boston I'd probably be like "cool me too are the celtics gonna hit the over 54 wins this year so you think?" And just continue talking to the person about Boston

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Yeah I dunno, I've never really asked people like that before, if someone tells me they are from Boston I'd probably be like "cool me too are the celtics gonna hit the over 54 wins this year so you think?" And just continue talking to the person about Boston

You went to China and married a foreigner. Maybe you're more open minded than some?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nickmeister posted:

You went to China and married a foreigner. Maybe you're more open minded than some?

no I'm a racist and autistic

:)

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

no I'm a racist and autistic

:)

lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Conversation my azn waifu has had more than once...

"So where are you from?"

🙂"New York"

"Yeah, but where do you come from originally?"

😢"...New Jersey"

"But like, where does your family come from?"

Like seriously, if you want to know someone's ethnicity just ask. If you think it would be rude for whatever reason to ask directly, asking indirectly probably isn't much better.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's not really an "expats" thread in GBS but y'all need to read this

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I [31 M] cheated on my GF [24F] of 3 years and she cheated back, now I'm devastated

I have lived and worked in Bangkok for 5 or so years. I met her around 3 years ago while out partying. We "talked" for about 6 months and then moved in together. We have been living together for around 2.5 years.

These past 3 years have been AMAZING. We have literally traveled all over Asia. We both enjoy partying, drinking, chillin, cooking, eating... I mean, you name it. Life was mostly great and I honestly truthfully though this is the girl I am going to end up with... Its something I've thought about a lot, especially at my age.

Ever since I've known her, before we were in a relationship, and throughout our relationship, Fridays have been my "boys night out"... I mean, this is Bangkok, we hit the town and we have fun. I quite frequently have legit "no strings attached" one night stands... And all that have been for me is nothing but that... Just fun for a short time then over... literally like it didn't happen.

She has always known about this, and has obviously always hated it, but its never been a relationship killer or anything... usually just a really short fight then we are on with our awesome lives together.

Around 6 months ago she met a new group of girls... I hated these girls from the start and wanted my girlfriend to have nothing to do with them. These girls are party girls who routinely go home with guys on a regular basis.

She always insisted to me that they are just fun girls, shes not like them, she would never go with a guy, thats not her style, shes never done that and would never do that.

She started going out with them every Friday while I was with my friends.. I obviously dont have a good argument here to make her not go... so I put my trust in her and allowed it.

Shortly afterwards we started fighting a lot about cheating... Mostly her fighting me about my cheating and I would call her out about being a little more secretive of her phone than normal and refusing to show it to me upon request. She was clearly chatting with other guys.

After a few months of this, we separated and she moved back to her hometown. We have kept contact, never broke up, still chat basically all day everyday... Still 100% a couple, just not living together anymore... Just a rough patch.

She comes from her hometown to party with her friends on Friday and spend Friday night-Sundays with me for the past 3 months while we repair our relationship... This has been working good, and Ive actually enjoyed it a bit, having my first free time after 2.5 years or so of being with her 7 days a week.

This week we were talking about her staying at my place from this Friday until the Monday the week after (so around 10 or 11 days)... This would be the longest we have stayed together since the separation, and we were both excited for it... it still feels 100% natural and I honestly thought nothing of it really....

Friday while on her way to Bangkok we got into a huge fight about cheating... she was fighting about my cheating and I was just responding with "but you're cheating on me" (I responded with this like 100 times).

Anyways, this ended with me not opening her texts or answering her calls for the rest of the day on Friday or on Friday night after she finished partying (when she was supposed to come to my place).

So, on Friday night around 3 or 4am when I didn't answer my phone, I saw her texts saying basally "fine, you're not answering, I have to stay with my friends tonight"...

Saturday we talked a bit around noon... which just turned into a massive fight again, which led to me not talking with her again for the rest of the day or night... which led to her "sleeping with her friends" again.

Sunday afternoon I found out she had slept with (and had sex with) one of these guys shes been chatting with.

This is the first time shes ever REALLY cheated on me. I mean, Ive known about the chatting, which we fight about, and the flirting at clubs, which Ive known about... but Ive always kind of chalked it up to "were in a rough patch, we will get through this" kind of thing... I mean we basically talk endlessly all day everyday about how much we love each other and miss each other.

Since Sunday Ive literally asked her 100 times if its real... is she messing with me... "did you really"... and yes, it really did happen.

Now im literally in complete shock... What do I do now? I mean, I cant believe she cheated on me... Yea, I had one night stands, and (in my terrible point of view) thats all they were to me... just fun and done, not even an after thought about it... No emotions, just finished. She really cheated on me though.

She has been chatting with this guy, partied with him (and their group) all weekend and stayed with him Friday-Sunday... Possibly even still, right now...

I'm dying here... I have gone from on Friday, "This is my girl" "Im with this girl for the rest of my life" and a good 10-11 days ahead of us to just complete shock that its likely over forever...

I know it might sound crazy that I didnt see the writing on the wall and stuff, or didnt see the clues coming... but man... even though we are separated... the chatting... whatever... everything between her and I has still mostly been great... and honestly it has been improving... even a lot of talk about moving back in... I mean like 70% of our conversations is about how much we love and miss each other since we are apart now.

Anyways, she has apologized to me dozens of times and still wants to come... I dont know what to do. I feel like its impossible to accept that she cheated on me for this whole weekend. I also feel like its impossible for me to say goodbye to her... My dream girl.

I dont feel ok that she cheated on me. I also dont feel ok with breaking up and losing her.

Its literally after 4am here and Ive created a Reddit account and written like 3000 words and cried here about my relationship... It goes without saying that I'm not handling this very well... I'm honestly panicking and freaking out.

I WISH more than ANYTHING right now I could just go back to Friday and answer my phone and had spent my weekend with her :*(

tl;dr: I had 0 strings attached, one night stands, she is my dream girl and full out cheated on me all weekend this weekend. What do I do now?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What a piece of poo poo. Goddamn.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

P-Mack posted:

"So where are you from?"

🙂"New York"

😢"...New Jersey"

Like seriously, if you want to know someone's ethnicity just ask. If you think it would be rude for whatever reason to ask directly, asking indirectly probably isn't much better.

I live in the DC area and because almost no (white) people are actually from here the two most common questions you ask and get asked when meeting someone for the first time are "What do you do?" (for a living) and "Where are you from?" (implication being what state)

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Mameluke posted:

LMAO at this stupid gently caress. That's wonderful. They're both idiots for staying together. She's dumb as hell for not leaving him from the first time, or the first time 100 times, but she's Thai and they seem to love miserable situations and bad relationships in their culture. He's dumb for his double standards and bitch-made baby reaction. MY DREAM GIRL! Nooooo. LMAO.

Edit: Wait, that's a goon? I thought this was a reddit post. Goondolences.

I had a date today. It was pretty good and she was nice and we had a pleasant conversation, but it will never go anywhere because she lives 35km away from me and needs to take a bus two hours each way because there's no Metro. I got free food (half the reason I went, TBH). She took some of the most unflattering photos of me I have had up to this point in my life. It's like looking at myself through someone else's eyes and it's gross. All confidence LOST! YUUUUGE blow to my brain. Just WRONG.

Also

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Haier posted:

LMAO at this stupid gently caress. That's wonderful. They're both idiots for staying together. She's dumb as hell for not leaving him from the first time, or the first time 100 times, but she's Thai and they seem to love miserable situations and bad relationships in their culture. He's dumb for his double standards and bitch-made baby reaction. MY DREAM GIRL! Nooooo. LMAO.

Edit: Wait, that's a goon? I thought this was a reddit post. Goondolences.

I had a date today. It was pretty good and she was nice and we had a pleasant conversation, but it will never go anywhere because she lives 35km away from me and needs to take a bus two hours each way because there's no Metro. I got free food (half the reason I went, TBH). She took some of the most unflattering photos of me I have had up to this point in my life. It's like looking at myself through someone else's eyes and it's gross. All confidence LOST! YUUUUGE blow to my brain. Just WRONG.

Also

Is is from reddit. Just from the SA reddit thread. Also I hope that's you with the loving awesome hair

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Phlegmish posted:

Congratulations.

Thanks! We've yet to tell anyone since she's only ~1 month pregnant. Waiting for the ultrasound (another 3 weeks) before we break the news.

nomad2020 posted:

Have you seen this wonderful section of Reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/hapas

:yikes:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That Nazi stuff from Taiwan seems to make a few waves

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/world/asia/taiwan-nazi-hitler-parade.html?ribbon-ad-idx=6&rref=world/asia

quote:

The next year, a restaurant with a concentration camp theme opened, closing weeks after it became a source of outrage.

How does that even work?

We'll let your starve at the table and make you work until you die.

We'll take care of your wife, kids and elders. Here's the way to the showers.

There's an electric fence around our restaurant. You may hurl yourself into it, once you lose all hope of being served.

Guests are randomly shot by the guards or beaten to death by capos.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Make sure your potential son doesn't join some hosed up community like that, they all fantasize about killing their white fathers and then themselves to erase their unending shame of polluting the gene pool, hopefully during some sort of mass killing taking out as many white worshiping asian ladies as possible

I have seen a lot of really hosed up communities but those guys really take the cake. Like I read some thread there once saying this was their dream goal : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Isla_Vista_killings mass murder perpetrated by self hating half white half asian kid

the really hosed up thing is whenever a white girl dating an asian guy stumbles in there, they all trip over themselves drooling over her telling her how great she is

Invisible Handjob fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 28, 2016

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

P-Mack posted:

"So where are you from?"

🙂"New York"

😢"...New Jersey"

IF YOU HAD A RACIAL PASSPORT WHAT WOULD IT SAY

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

nickmeister posted:

It's super common; I've gotten it all my life because I'm not an aryan stereotype but am livin' in one.

Still irritating as gently caress, imagine it's much the same in any place that's a bit homogeneous.

edit: also reading this makes me thinka you chinathread: http://us.tomonews.com/asian-student-free-after-smashing-face-of-man-who-shouted-racist-taunts-3231896

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 28, 2016

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Some Tantan lately:

This triggered me!

WAT?

Fivehead so glorious, it can't fit into one photo.

This mole is ready for India.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Haier posted:

Some Tantan lately:

This triggered me!
I did the exact same thing in the US though, though I felt bad about it later and deleted the pics

They were just so huge! I couldn't believe it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

She needs to meditate and develop that third eye a little more.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Her third eye is preparing for kan re nao

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Mameluke posted:

Thats an achingly beautiful meltdown.
Haunting.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

Fivehead so glorious, it can't fit into one photo.

this is what happens when you hold in a sneeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.globalresearch.ca/28-signs-that-the-west-coast-is-being-absolutely-fried-with-nuclear-radiation-from-fukushima/5355280

quote:

“Look at what’s going on now: They’re dumping huge amounts of radioactivity into the ocean — no one expected that in 2011,” Daniel Hirsch, a nuclear policy lecturer at the University of California-Santa Cruz, told Global Security Newswire. “We could have large numbers of cancer from ingestion of fish.”

LOL on the website itself, but the sources are all listed as links. Instead of a war with China, would it be a better idea to let to let the Chinese fish the poo poo out of the ocean that's dying and then eat all of it and get hella cancer, on top of all their other cancerous foods, and everyone dies?

• Locked thread