Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

See, just like FFXV!

The only NPC that weird me out is the diner guy in Old Lestallum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Baron Corbyn posted:

Are the FFXIII sequels worth it? I traded the original in as soon as I finished it.

LR is dope if you actually want to engage with different weapons/garbs/building up abilities/understanding the combat. Spear beatdown into double finale jumps all day.

If you don't want to interact with any systems at all and just kind of hold attack buttons down through the game you'll probably find it terrible and it will take forever.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 28, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

exploded mummy posted:

Kenny 'n I been' waitin for yah.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Kenny approves.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress Kenny

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress Kenny

ok Kelly Crow

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Stupid question but is the only picture of Kelly in the game the Fan Service car wrap

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I turned down Prompto's request for a photo with the bird statue; Noctis referred to it as a "hickbird". I love the non-story dialogue in the game.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Lightning returns is good and a lot of the things that people like about 15 are in LR. Lightning is also the best snarky chick. sidequest dialog in this game is really good, while the story is, out there. Also x-2 dress up is almost back :) instead of song fan service there is costumes, some are dlc, but a good chunk are just chilling in shops.

XIII-2 is good because you get to see Final Fantasy go campy and fun, a good villain (one I'd personally argue is better than the one in XV, but they are both decent), some pretty cool zones, (there is one notable 'chapter 13' zone, where you will without question
go through 50-60 encounters in a very short frame of time if you don't know where to go sadly, the rest are good poo poo.) the second chocobo song is very fun the first time you hear it.

XIII itself isn't some unforgivable sin. It did 15 in reverse, closed to open. The characters don't hit with everyone and they don't get all equally developed but the open world part was pretty good even with the lack of cities. Music fantastic, combat pretty decent, and it got better as the series went on. Biggest let down was the lack of other arks that are mentioned during the story.

The order I just listed them in is also how good I'd say they are.
I don't think any of them are so bad they aren't worth experiencing if you're into jrpgs.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 28, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Shadow225 posted:

you can tell where there wanted to do something more expansive (negotiation scene).

I thought this at first but then I realized that final fantasy has a storied history of forcing you into minigames that are only used once.
Escape the castle before it blows up.
Talk to as many people as you can in 7 minutes.
Don't freeze while climbing the mountain.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm King Noctis Lucis Caelum of Insomnia!

Don't listen to Ardyn's lies!

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012
Considering this is a direct sequel to Deadly Premonition, I was hoping to see more of Francis York Morgan.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Power Walrus posted:

So this game is really fun, but what's up with the royal Ed Hardy garb? The clothes and hair in his game are so bafflingly bad. It's weird when you stack such tacky decisions against really good and fun gameplay design. Like, who at the top has such a garbage sense of what looks cool??

I've started seeing scenes with imperials, and their clothes are way less grounded in our reality, so I feel like they get away with all the extra collars and straps. It was just jarring when we meet the super serious Marshal Cor, decked out in his official clubbing shirt.

Sorry, I know FF always does weird things with outfits, but what's the deeeeeeal?

It's really bizarre how the world and characters clash. It's like Criss Angel goes to Cuba.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

The game started out as some kind of collaboration with actual fashion companies (that's famously why Noctis and co.'s shoes all have red soles, it's some kind of trademark) so I think the fact that everyone in Insomnia is decked out like a goth Calvin Klein model is legacy material from that. Even then, it's a JRPG. Silly outfits and improbable hair are standard issue.

pretty much, but I'm starting to feel like people are just criticizing the way things have always been in rpgs at large in a new light every time graphics gets lightly better.

Even in old final fantasies your characters dressed like obnoxious people, in relation to their world. it's just that everyone elses clothes didn't look so close to real lifes clothing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair everything you described is in the last Final Fantasy they released.

I thought this post was about A Realm Reborn.

Still works.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SectumSempra posted:

XIII itself isn't some unforgivable sin. It did 15 in reverse, closed to open. The characters don't hit with everyone and they don't get all equally developed but the open world part was pretty good even with the lack of cities. Music fantastic, combat pretty decent, and it got better as the series went on. Biggest let down was the lack of other arks that are mentioned during the story.

Final Fantasy XIII is twenty to twenty five hours of literally waking down glorified hallways and watching cutscenes while constantly switching perspectives between characters every hour or so, a roster full of insufferable assholes who also constantly make the worst decisions possible aside from a guy twice the age as the rest of the cast whose personality is "too old for these kids and their stupid poo poo", and absolute piss easy combat except for when it decides to ramp it up for boss battles, before the game actually deigns to give you your full loving party to play with.

The story is okay...five hours in or so once characters actually talk about what the gently caress the words they're saying mean and even then you honestly need to stop playing to read through datalogues so you can actually know what the actual gently caress terms mean. Once you know what all the made up terms mean it's not bad by any means, but getting there is a headache that's literally reached memetic proportions since release.

If you like that game, that's cool. There's legit nice stuff there, the music is great and it's a pretty game all around, but don't try to pretend that other than that it doesn't deserve every last insult thrown at it. Everyone says the sequels are better but I gave up shortly after getting my party together and hated it too much to even ever consider buying them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wrist Watch posted:

Final Fantasy XIII is twenty to twenty five hours of literally waking down glorified hallways and watching cutscenes while constantly switching perspectives between characters every hour or so, a roster full of insufferable assholes who also constantly make the worst decisions possible aside from a guy twice the age as the rest of the cast whose personality is "too old for these kids and their stupid poo poo", and absolute piss easy combat except for when it decides to ramp it up for boss battles, before the game actually deigns to give you your full loving party to play with.

The story is okay...five hours in or so once characters actually talk about what the gently caress the words they're saying mean and even then you honestly need to stop playing to read through datalogues so you can actually know what the actual gently caress terms mean. Once you know what all the made up terms mean it's not bad by any means, but getting there is a headache that's literally reached memetic proportions since release.

If you like that game, that's cool. There's legit nice stuff there, the music is great and it's a pretty game all around, but don't try to pretend that other than that it doesn't deserve every last insult thrown at it. Everyone says the sequels are better but I gave up shortly after getting my party together and hated it too much to even ever consider buying them.

But enough about FF10 :hehe:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

The characters literally explain, onscreen, within the first hour what all of those words mean. The reason is has reached memetic proportions is because people are going way into over-exaggeration.

FFXV literally explains less of its story than FFXIII does and requires more supplemental material (including material not located in the game) to understand major plot points.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I bought the X/X-2 remaster in the Steam sale and I can't play it because the voice acting is even worse than I remembered it being when I was 14 where mostly just the laughing scene was the worst thing in the history of video games

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The characters literally explain, onscreen, within the first hour what all of those words mean. The reason is has reached memetic proportions is because people are going way into over-exaggeration.

It's really not, I got like 10 hours in and had no loving clue what was going on

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

so like i said in what you typed,

it's not some unforgivable sin, its 15 in reverse, closed then open, but didn't go through development hell so it has a longer story,

has characters you didn't like.
the story is serviceable but requires outside knowledge thats put in datalogs.
There's nice stuff in it and it isn't perfect.

We are literally in agreement.

everyone just has a raging hate boner for 13

The issue is, I didn't say anything that made it into some glowing piece of perfection, just that it has redeemable qualities.

maybe everyone's expectations were too tied up, maybe I haven't played it in too long (though I do remember not hating it nearly as much, i didn't think it was perfect either however.)

It's a flawed game, but it still has redeeming qualities.

15 doesn't explain its story or lore through datalogs, but children's books, spread through chapters and has important story events on loading screens

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 28, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

triple sulk posted:

It's really not, I got like 10 hours in and had no loving clue what was going on

I can post excerpts from the script if you want to get to that level. "I didn't care about this game and so I didn't pay attention" isn't the same as "they literally never explained anything!"

Edit: Like FFXV unironically, to understand important plot beats, expects you to have watched a tie-in anime, a tie-in movie, read optional notes scattered around levels, get information from loading screen summaries, and even get info that apparently basically only exists in the strategy guide. A good chunk of people are hoping for for pay DLC to help resolve plot issues the game has. FFXIII was a mess but FFXV is no less a mess, just a more charming one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 28, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I do miss FFIX, sure it wasn't super memorable; but it was the last "true" Final Fantasy, with a bad rear end steam ship, huge overworld, traditional wait style fighting (although I like the fighting in FFXV), and a fun story line.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Some things about 15 have surprisingly more positive feedback then expected but i think a lot of it has to do with presentation.

Like the positive after thoughts on battle system (fun but flat), "cities/towns" and dungeons are all different than I expected playing them.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

I do miss FFIX, sure it wasn't super memorable; but it was the last "true" Final Fantasy, with a bad rear end steam ship, huge overworld, traditional wait style fighting (although I like the fighting in FFXV), and a fun story line.

what even is a "true" final fantasy at this point?

Like people always say that, i never get it.

Wouldn't wait style fighting be exclusive to X? Where it is literally turn based. I feel like I remember IX having atb.

I mean XII has a pretty big rear end overworld and has a high fantasy setting with some tech mixed in.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

FFXV literally explains less of its story than FFXIII does and requires more supplemental material (including material not located in the game) to understand major plot points.

The problem is the characters in XIII are unlikeable and you don't want to listen to them. Also, XV is a much simpler world. "King reclaims throne" was a genius move, it made the ending stick after all the side details got thrown at you like a handful of spaghetti. You don't need to understand the history of the Six or the Lucis line to appreciate the game. That's where XV succeeded and XIII failed.

And, again, likeable characters.

SectumSempra posted:

Any time you see that phrase, translate it to "the last one I liked." Final Fantasy has been about change and reinvention since the loving NES.

Or it means the last game scored by Uematsu, I'll accept that as valid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

The problem is the characters in XIII are unlikeable and you don't want to listen to them. Also, XV is a much simpler world. "King reclaims throne" was a genius move, it made the ending stick after all the side details got thrown at you like a handful of spaghetti. You don't need to understand the history of the Six or the Lucis line to appreciate the game. That's where XV succeeded and XIII failed.

And, again, likeable characters.

I can't really agree with this, no, and you can see evidence of this in the thread. People's responses to Noctis, for example, vary pretty heavily based on how much supplemental material they take in. Because Noctis goes from sounding kind of whiny to struggling with a horrific destiny that he had to watch his father go through based on how much you get from outside the game. Nobody should have that different a response to a character and know so little about their reasons and motivations without outside context. The ending sticks because it's a simple, emotional and strong beat presented well, which is admittedly fairly rare in gaming.

I do agree that people are more likely to forgive dumb poo poo when they like the characters but that doesn't mean the dumb poo poo isn't still there and it means that if you don't like the characters there isn't a huge difference.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I just love Noctis and want to try to get him to eat delicious vegetables. I was ready to hate him, and supplemental material did nothing to change my opinion. After playing the game (and hearing his excellent English VA, guy deserves a ton of credit) he's become one of my favorite FF protagonists.

Seriously Noct try it steamed ugh Ignis and I are going to have words over coffee about this

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SectumSempra posted:

Like people always say that, i never get it.

Wouldn't wait style fighting be exclusive to X? Where it is literally turn based. I feel like I remember IX having atb.

I mean XII has a pretty big rear end overworld and has a high fantasy setting with some tech mixed in.

To me a true Final Fantasy is a game where there's a heavy emphasis on "Fantasy", one that's eager to show me the fantastic and bizarre. A game with a huge world map that I can fly around on with a airship sometime into the game. Games that can provide a completely strange cast to me as a player yet make it all work when played serious. A series that's not afraid to make up it's own races or species or whatever so it's not just humans running around etc.

To me FFIX isn't perfect by any means but it's what I'd point to if I had to describe the series as a whole because it takes all of the things you'd expect from the series up to that point and, to me, puts them on a spotlight.

It's why I get confused (not angry, just confused) when a review for FFXV goes "Yeah it really feels like Final Fantasy is back, it totally checks out with other games in the series!" When it has literally none of that and is just some generic rear end dustbowl that probably wouldn't look too out of place if it was in MGSV. Also, Lucis filled with nothing but folks who (for the most part) dress sensibly and whatnot. To me personally XV isn't a bad game, it just isn't a """"""""""real""""""""""""" final fantasy game.

They should patch Ardyn to have Seymours hair in a update. I could get behind that.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 28, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I just love Noctis and want to try to get him to eat delicious vegetables. I was ready to hate him, and supplemental material did nothing to change my opinion. After playing the game (and hearing his excellent English VA, guy deserves a ton of credit)

His delivery wobbles when he tries to sound happy/enthused about anything but fishing but yeah, he throws his weight around a lot more than the relatively sedate performances we got across all the FFXIII games. Poor guy sounds like he's about to crack down the middle in Chapter 11-12.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

To me a true Final Fantasy is a game where there's a heavy emphasis on "Fantasy", one that's eager to show me the fantastic and bizarre. A game with a huge world map that I can fly around on with a airship sometime into the game. Games that can provide a completely strange cast to me as a player yet make it all work when played serious. A series that's not afraid to make up it's own races or species or whatever so it's not just humans running around etc.

To me FFIX isn't perfect by any means but it's what I'd point to if I had to describe the series as a whole because it takes all of the things you'd expect from the series up to that point and, to me, puts them on a spotlight.

It's why I get confused (not angry, just confused) when a review for FFXV goes "Yeah it really feels like Final Fantasy is back, it totally checks out with other games in the series!" When it has literally none of that and is just some generic rear end dustbowl that probably wouldn't look too out of place if it was in MGSV filled with nothing but folks who (for the most part) dress sensibly and whatnot. To me personally XV isn't a bad game, it just isn't a """"""""""real""""""""""""" final fantasy game.

They should patch Ardyn to have Seymours hair in a update. I could get behind that.

I grew up playing Final Fantasy VIII and FVII so FFXV feels very much like those games. I'm also a huge Parasite Eve fan which actually takes place in the real world locations despite being JRPG by Square. (Whch I find super cool and interesting)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
There is no such thing as a "Real Final Fantasy Game" because literally every FF does something different in it's story, setting, lore, etc. It's gone magical future, post apocalypse, steam punk, clock punk, generic high fantasy, even urban fantasy isn't a new thing to this series.

Like different fantasy races mingling isn't even a thing in most of the games, only the Ivalice games makes a common thing of it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ratbert90 posted:

You should play Bravely Default. I don't mean Bravely Default is a good game. (It very much is.). I mean that Bravely Default will fix your brain and make you stop saying things like ""true" Final Fantasy".

It worked for me. It's the reason I enjoyed FFXV so much.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

His delivery wobbles when he tries to sound happy/enthused about anything but fishing but yeah, he throws his weight around a lot more than the relatively sedate performances we got across all the FFXIII games. Poor guy sounds like he's about to crack down the middle in Chapter 11-12.

I am perfectly willing to accept that sounding unconvincing when feigning happiness over anything bar fishing is deliberaterly added as one of Noct's personality traits.

Also FFXIII was incredibly forgettable to me and I can't remember who most of the characters even were, and I'm someone who followed XII's storyline without any problems and remembers all the judges and their personalities.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Is The Last Spiracorns hunt bugged for everyone? I played through the game and couldn't get them to spawn when I first got the quest so I had to go back much later. My friend is playing through the game now and same thing, they wouldn't spawn when he first attempted to find them.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

exploded mummy posted:

He's like a cross between Hannibal Lecter and that old pedophile on Family Guy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MMD3 posted:

Is The Last Spiracorns hunt bugged for everyone? I played through the game and couldn't get them to spawn when I first got the quest so I had to go back much later. My friend is playing through the game now and same thing, they wouldn't spawn when he first attempted to find them.

I have probably 4+ hunts that are bugged at the moment and I think that is one? I know one is Hammer the Cannibals because the name stuck with me. One is inside the power plant where the enemies spawn but killing them does not give me credit and they don't come back. One is giant killer beetle things because I thought it was going to be bees and I looked it up on youtube to make sure I was in the right place and was like oh poo poo, I didn't want to fight those things anyways.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MMD3 posted:

I had that issue in general from time to time where stuff just wouldn't spawn, but a re-load almost always fixed it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I loved the GUI in FFXIII, but the game was so boring I stopped playing in the exact same spot twice. That ice tunnel level. It's like 5-6 hours in and I can't do it. So so boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's why I get confused (not angry, just confused) when a review for FFXV goes "Yeah it really feels like Final Fantasy is back, it totally checks out with other games in the series!" When it has literally none of that and is just some generic rear end dustbowl that probably wouldn't look too out of place if it was in MGSV. Also, Lucis filled with nothing but folks who (for the most part) dress sensibly and whatnot. To me personally XV isn't a bad game, it just isn't a """"""""""real""""""""""""" final fantasy game.

So it's your personal definition of fantasy then

I can buy that I guess., don't necessarily agree with the definition of fantasy, but i can understand it more.

• Locked thread