Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Some records are the domain of weirdos, but not so much the indie rock bought online new at full price nonsense that takes up most of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

A human heart posted:

Some records are the domain of weirdos, but not so much the indie rock bought online new at full price nonsense that takes up most of this thread.

I suppose but in my travels over the years the people I've met who are serious record guys are all a pretty specific kind of person. The crowd is much more diverse these days but the real die hards remain the same group of oddballs. I'm not excluding myself from this.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bowmore posted:

it's pretty daunting for a person new to playing music through anything other than a phone to have to buy a record player, an amp and speakers

I think it's just computer nerds who get tripped up on this honestly. People who are into music tend to understand how stereos work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mainly listen to CDs. :downs:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mainly listen to CDs. :downs:

Me too. They sound better than records.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I typically tell people that unless you're going used, $100 for a new turntable is around the line between "cheap and good" and "too cheap to be any good." My table was like $120, and over the years, it's given me great quality and manages to sound really good. I know one of my friends was like "Well, I really want to spend $60," and I was like "You can spend $60 and have something that will play your records but you'll probably have to replace sooner, or you can spend $120 now and still have something that plays your records but will likely last longer." It's one of those things. People see the really expensive turntables and so they kind of know that it's absurd.

I haven't seen any real evidence that Crosley's chew up records. Someone even posted a YouTube video where they tried to see if there was a noticeable difference. The thing I've found was just the overall build quality. The undersized platters tend to make records sound like they're warping on the edges, the sound quality isn't that great, and the one I tried had issues with speed.

Plus, I hate the faux-vintage look.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Cemetry Gator posted:

I typically tell people that unless you're going used, $100 for a new turntable is around the line between "cheap and good" and "too cheap to be any good." My table was like $120, and over the years, it's given me great quality and manages to sound really good. I know one of my friends was like "Well, I really want to spend $60," and I was like "You can spend $60 and have something that will play your records but you'll probably have to replace sooner, or you can spend $120 now and still have something that plays your records but will likely last longer." It's one of those things. People see the really expensive turntables and so they kind of know that it's absurd.

I haven't seen any real evidence that Crosley's chew up records. Someone even posted a YouTube video where they tried to see if there was a noticeable difference. The thing I've found was just the overall build quality. The undersized platters tend to make records sound like they're warping on the edges, the sound quality isn't that great, and the one I tried had issues with speed.

Plus, I hate the faux-vintage look.

My sister got a record player where the heads hell, cartridge and needle were one piece. She asked me to take a look at it because the sound was off and I saw the needle was gone and just a small bit of plastic was making contact with the record.

It was one of those record+speaker deals.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

bowmore posted:

it's pretty daunting for a person new to playing music through anything other than a phone to have to buy a record player, an amp and speakers

Are we really that far removed from everyone having a stereo of some sort of their own? I mean I'm the same as anyone and do a majority of my music listening via the phone or computer but how young do you have to be to have zero concept of a standalone music machine of some kind?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I was going to try and make a car analogy but I don't think kids drive that much these days either.

I guess a bike analogy might work? The cheap record players are the equivalent of buying a Huffy from Wal Mart.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Barry posted:

Are we really that far removed from everyone having a stereo of some sort of their own? I mean I'm the same as anyone and do a majority of my music listening via the phone or computer but how young do you have to be to have zero concept of a standalone music machine of some kind?

I moved a year ago and haven't hooked up my receiver/home stereo because I don't have the room for it in my new place.
I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon hooked up to an amp which goes into my Sonos system and then plays throughout the house

please don't hurt me

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Kaboobi posted:

I moved a year ago and haven't hooked up my receiver/home stereo because I don't have the room for it in my new place.
I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon hooked up to an amp which goes into my Sonos system and then plays throughout the house

please don't hurt me

Laziness is totally fine, I'm just surprised that baseline knowledge of how to play music might not be baseline knowledge.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Barry posted:

yes, we are. most people do not have the necessary stereo equipment to just buy a record player alone. this really isnt that surprising. even if they do have an existing setup its most likely a home theater system without a phono and will need a preamp anyway. i feel safe saying a vast majority of people looking to start with records will need a turntable, receiver/preamp, and a pair of bookshelf speakers.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
we've gone from stereo systems to all-in-one boomboxes to throwing away anything that doesnt have an aux for an ipod to weird docks you put your ipod in to bluetooth speakers. of course there are people who don't have any concept of a multi-component stereo system or why you would need one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

we've gone from stereo systems to all-in-one boomboxes to throwing away anything that doesnt have an aux for an ipod to weird docks you put your ipod in to bluetooth speakers. of course there are people who don't have any concept of a multi-component stereo system or why you would need one.

I think music nerds still understand the concept of amplification though since there's some crossover with musicians. Maybe im just loving old.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I started out with a crappy mini platter record player with a built in speaker to a generic full sized platter one with the same guts those entry level Audio Technicas have. (3 buttons on the right and one on the left for speed). Lots of companies seem to use those, and I would safely recommend those as a really good first turntable. I had almost no problems with the ones I got. (Apart from some records not tracking properly because you couldn't adjust the tonearm). But now I got a Stanton T.62 from a friend for free (Along with a Cambridge Audio 540p for free that another friend didn't really like. I got really good friends!) and boy howdy do I like being able to adjust the tracking and pitch adjustment. Especially for the 7" Single of Baker Street that UA sped up ever so slightly. :argh:

Speaking of Proper component HiFi equipment as a baby I broke the record player on ours. :v:

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 28, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I totally get not having the equipment but being completely bamboozled by it is weird. I can see the appeal of Crosbys (Crosley?) because you'd need to buy a ton of poo poo otherwise but I would still figure that people generally know how it works.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The barrier to entry for a totally reasonable setup is like an LP60 and a pair of powered monitors. You don't even need to buy any extra cables.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I dont know why anyone would have a stand alone record player with powered monitors and not a stereo system and a place to store records. Records are a pain in the rear end. Physical media in general is a pain in the rear end.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

You can get a cool looking tube amp and 4" bookshelf speakers for under $200 on monoprice.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Barry posted:

I totally get not having the equipment but being completely bamboozled by it is weird. I can see the appeal of Crosbys (Crosley?) because you'd need to buy a ton of poo poo otherwise but I would still figure that people generally know how it works.

The concept of a pre-amp would be lost on most people. I didn't even understand the purpose of one for a long time because I always had receivers with phono inputs.

People generally understand RCA plugs. They are a similar to plugging in an 1/8" aux plug, which everyone knows how to do. The problem comes when people see a turntable with RCA plugs, and they see their soundbar with RCA inputs, but they don't realize you need to buy a small box that sits in-between them for it to work.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah, pre-amps are a bit weird. But a lot of turntables have built in pre-amps. Of course if you didn't know it was there and the switch was in the wrong position you might think records sound really bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It really doesn't help when people decided to call RCA cables 'phono', especially when you're trying to work out it something really does have a phono stage to it without physically seeing it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

It really doesn't help when people decided to call RCA cables 'phono', especially when you're trying to work out it something really does have a phono stage to it without physically seeing it.

What are you talking about?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Have you never heard people call RCA cables 'phono leads' or Aux sockets as 'phono sockets'? Maybe it was a European thing, but I've never heard any non audio nerd actually call them by the right name and it causes a ton of confusion.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Boinks posted:

You can get a cool looking tube amp and 4" bookshelf speakers for under $200 on monoprice.

Getting someone to spend $200 (or under) online on top of whatever they'll spend on a turntable just isn't going to happen when they can go to a store and buy something they can just play for $60-$80 isn't going to happen for someone with a beginning interest in records.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have you never heard people call RCA cables 'phono leads' or Aux sockets as 'phono sockets'? Maybe it was a European thing, but I've never heard any non audio nerd actually call them by the right name and it causes a ton of confusion.

Must be a Euro thing, I've never heard them referred to as that. Most people understand when you just say the cable with the red and white connectors.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

no

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I've seen plenty of equipment that has rca connections marked phono but I've never heard people actually call the cables phono

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Those are phono-level inputs with RCA connections.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Please keep this argument over the proper nomenclature for audio cables civil.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is one of the bigger electronics stores in the UK

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/twin-phono-male-to-phono-female-qn25c

RCA is mentioned in the description but not the title. And people will describe AUX inputs as phono there so often. Not a headache for most people but can be a pain.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Barry posted:

I would say anyone who is in high school or the early years of college would fall into the category. Keep in mind that for people under a certain age records are a thing they want because of the novelty of such a thing.

stay depressed posted:

And this is why.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm looking forward to the next death of vinyl so I can pick up more cheap goodies. Hopefully it becomes extremely uncool.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Snowy posted:

I'm looking forward to the next death of vinyl so I can pick up more cheap goodies. Hopefully it becomes extremely uncool.

Once people have to move them more than a couple times? Unfortunately I don't think anyone has instilled proper record handling to most of these kids. Oh well. They are probably just using the download code and hanging the cover on the wall. My sister used to take mine and just put them on her shelf to look cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I warned a friend who was helping me move that the box of vinyl he was about to lift was heavy, and he totally waved it off. I've never seen a look of regret so fast in someone's face.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is one of the bigger electronics stores in the UK

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/twin-phono-male-to-phono-female-qn25c

RCA is mentioned in the description but not the title. And people will describe AUX inputs as phono there so often. Not a headache for most people but can be a pain.

You also call trucks lorrys and that's a total nonsense word

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

I warned a friend who was helping me move that the box of vinyl he was about to lift was heavy, and he totally waved it off. I've never seen a look of regret so fast in someone's face.

my way of moving records was buying a huge stack of those safeway paper bags, double bagging them and them putting about 20-25 (depending on how many LPs in the sleeve) records in there. That was 3 years ago when I moved with 500 records.. I'm at 800 now, but I'm sure the same procedure would work. a lot less strenuous than a box full of them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

You also call trucks lorrys and that's a total nonsense word

And juggernauts. Which makes you pagan.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sporklift posted:

They are probably just using the download code and hanging the cover on the wall.
A 20-something coworker literally does this. He buys like frames or whatever specifically for hanging them (I doubt he takes the record out though). I think he has a record player, but knowing him I can't imagine him actually going through the hassle of using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I just bought a dozen frames. I'm gonna sell them at the local gas station. I've got dozens I've only purchased because of the quaint cover. And bottom line, I can't keep them just because of that.