Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
who cares just turn his loving data off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

who cares just turn his loving data off

This would be my approach, except I'd give the final ultimatum of fess up to what he's doing and then be more reasonable with his usage or he gets none.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
He's 19, just got a license and brand new car, studying abroad.. so there are reasons i don't worry about him, which, ironically, is also his parents reason he is here.

i am just trying to get through this with him having only good memories of uncle femur.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm reminded of being a kid and my parents telling me to turn the lights off. It always drove me crazy, who gives a poo poo about a light.

When I started paying my own electric bill my tune changed, lights are turned off, Nest is installed, the heater turns on when wearing hoodies around the house and the layers of blankets on my bed no longer cut it.

Kids have no idea what this poo poo costs, they can't, tell him he gets X amount of data every month and it gets shut off, if he wants more you will be happy to accept his payment and turn the data back on.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Femur posted:

Just get him one of those Cricket unlimited plan or something?

If I was going to pay for some kid's phone, that's what I'd do.

$65/month for unlimited data running on AT&T's network.
or if you don't want to spend that much, go with one of the cheaper Cricket plans, which still offers "unlimited" data, but will throttle down to 128k once he hits the high speed cap. 128k is painfully slow, but adequate for essentials like messaging and maps.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Femur posted:

He's 19, just got a license and brand new car, studying abroad..

Why does Uncle Femur need to pay for his phone again?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The kid's dad saved Uncle Femur in Vietnam or something.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

pzy posted:

Why does Uncle Femur need to pay for his phone again?

because it is incidental, and face.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Well since you're not going to confront anyone involved about it, I suggest upgrading to a bigger data plan!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pzy posted:

Well since you're not going to confront anyone involved about it, I suggest upgrading to a bigger data plan!

ATT will gladly sell him unlimited data if you buy Direct TV

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT will gladly sell him unlimited data if you buy Direct TV

or uverse TV

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

nimper posted:

or uverse TV

FCC :heysexy: :nyd:

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
So does uverse work? I got that, but thought unlimited is only direct tv

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Femur posted:

So does uverse work? I got that, but thought unlimited is only direct tv

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

How do I get the new AT&T Unlimited Plan?
• Customers who have both AT&T wireless and DIRECTV or U-verse TV residential service can sign up for this plan by logging into their account and changing their rate plan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I looked at that but said gently caress it because you need a cable subscription as well and I cut that cord years ago. I do like u-verse internet, though. Never had any issues with them for years and will probably bump it up soon now than i can view 4K.

I just want tethering on my unlimited data :smith:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So, I understand carries don't do the subsidized phone anymore. I have an iphone 6 on an unlimited data plan, which I'd like to keep. I've had my phone over two years so I suppose I can unlock it now and sell it?

Anyways, thinking of picking up a 6s. If I just snag a used unlocked 6s I can simply transfer my poo poo over and it'll be business as usual? Don't have to go to the store, adjust plan, or do anything crazy? Would I just have to swap my SIM? Sorry, I'm pretty out of touch with all this stuff.

Verizon and sprint phones unlocked work on any carrier these days right?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 15, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So, I understand carries don't do the subsidized phone anymore. I have an iphone 6 on an unlimited data plan, which I'd like to keep. I've had my phone over two years so I suppose I can unlock it now and sell it?

Anyways, thinking of picking up a 6s. If I just snag a used unlocked 6s I can simply transfer my poo poo over and it'll be business as usual? Don't have to go to the store, adjust plan, or do anything crazy? Would I just have to swap my SIM? Sorry, I'm pretty out of touch with all this stuff.

Verizon and sprint phones unlocked work on any carrier these days right?

Yeah, you can buy any unlocked phone outright and just pop your SIM in, no need to go to ATT.

Verizon phones are auto unlocked, so they'll be fine. Sprint phones, once unlocked, would work, but lord knows how reliable sprint would be on unlocking.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Awesome, thanks for that

If it's not unlocked, but the person uses/used it on ATT, will work fine right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Awesome, thanks for that

If it's not unlocked, but the person uses/used it on ATT, will work fine right?

If it's an ATT locked phone it will still work ok ATT as long a it isn't reported lost or stolen.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How does unlocking it work? Say I sell it down the line and don't want to be limited with potential buyers. If you have a phone under contract you can unlock it after two years, I think is how it works

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How does unlocking it work? Say I sell it down the line and don't want to be limited with potential buyers. If you have a phone under contract you can unlock it after two years, I think is how it works

With AT&T, you just go here. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Once you're out of contract you can go through the whole thing and unlock the phone. It took like 20 minutes to unlock my old iPhone 6 the day my contract expired.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry I meant if I purchased an ATT iphone that wasn't unlocked

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Sorry I meant if I purchased an ATT iphone that wasn't unlocked

The original person who owned the phone has to unlock it (unless policy changed). Be careful about buying locked ATT phones, I would a,ways have the seller unlock it first.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorted, thanks for all the help!!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Sorted, thanks for all the help!!

Only other suggestion is that it still might be nice to go get a new SIM if you pick up a new phone, I've seen problems with old SIMs and as long as you go a corporate store it's free.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

is buying a carrier locked iphone a terrible idea?

this dude selling an att iphone 7. I don't plan on switching carriers anytime soon.

He said att won't unlock it because they had to do it initially or some poo poo. The IMEI is clear. He said it was bought outright with cash, but it also sounds like he might not be too savvy with all that stuff.

I mean, as long as the imei is sorted, my SIM works, there's not really any way I can get hosed here? But if it was bought with cash I should be able to unlock it even if I'm not the original owner?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 17, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

is buying a carrier locked iphone a terrible idea?

this dude selling an att iphone 7. I don't plan on switching carriers anytime soon.

He said att won't unlock it because they had to do it initially or some poo poo. The IMEI is clear. He said it was bought outright with cash, but it also sounds like he might not be too savvy with all that stuff.

I mean, as long as the imei is sorted, my SIM works, there's not really any way I can get hosed here? But if it was bought with cash I should be able to unlock it even if I'm not the original owner?

I wouldn't. ATT won't unlock it just because you bought it from said original owner.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Maybe a dumb question... I am on At&t Next 18 plan with 2 galaxy S6 Edge phones, I bought 2 Pixels recently and swapped the sims over and everything is working fine. Don't intend to use the S6 Edges anymore. There are 2 months left on the device installment part of the plan and obviously I don't intend on trading them in for an upgrade. What will happen to my account? Will it stay the same and just be ~66 dollars a month cheaper (edge was 33/month on the plan x 2) or what?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

They will stay on your plan until 26 months or you upgrade. Someone once told me that you could upgrade the phones and then return the new phones to cancel it out early, but I never ended up trying that personally.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Mr. Powers posted:

They will stay on your plan until 26 months or you upgrade. Someone once told me that you could upgrade the phones and then return the new phones to cancel it out early, but I never ended up trying that personally.

So even if all installments are paid on the phone in 2 months it will continue to charge me the installment fee for 2 additional months? that makes no sense

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

thebushcommander posted:

So even if all installments are paid on the phone in 2 months it will continue to charge me the installment fee for 2 additional months? that makes no sense

It depends on when you started the Next 18 plan. Prior to June 2014 it is a 26 month installment plan. After June 2014 it's only 24 months.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1162406

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

They auto drop off whenever they are paid off. Just look online and it'll tell you how much time is remaining.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AT&T support is the loving worst.

I wantd to add a phone to my current plan.

So two phones one plan.

I make the order online. All is fine.

The shipping address isn't valid, so I have to call them ok whatever.

I call them. I get transfered four times because no fucktard there knows what to do to fix it. Finally I get a nice girl who fixes it by cancelling the order. Whatever. She offers to remake it for me I agree (first mistake)

I get the phone then realize that instead of adding a line to my existing plan she created A WHOLE OTHER PLAN FOR THE PHONE.

I quickly contact chat support who fixes it.

Now I get my bill, and i'm being charged for the TWO PLANS STILL!!!

UGH

I talk to chat support, they have no idea what they're talking about and keep repeating the same thing or wanting me to keep repeating.

Whatever. Then i called to cancel my DirecTV a few months ago and they were supposed to give it to me for very little money but now that's messed up also.

Stupid ATT

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

drat ATT really hates unlimited data. Raising it by $5/month again

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's still cheaper to stick with it for me. But yeah this is ridiculous. Just loving drop me already if you hate me that much.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They're even waiving the ETF again lol

I'll probably still keep it but if they raise it again next year I'll probably be done

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

They're even waiving the ETF again lol

I'll probably still keep it but if they raise it again next year I'll probably be done

It's part of your agreement. They can't charge more unless offering you an out within the first 30 days. Though, that certainly hasn't stopped them from raising prices before.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Probably gonna switch to t-mobile. Would att lower my monthly bill at all or anything if I mention that I might jump ship? or is it just bye felicia

agh but I also have an old FAN number that still gets me 20%, hmph

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 19, 2017

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Probably gonna switch to t-mobile. Would att lower my monthly bill at all or anything if I mention that I might jump ship? or is it just bye felicia

agh but I also have an old FAN number that still gets me 20%, hmph

LOL no, especially if you have that old trashy unlimited data plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So will AT&T do anything to match Verizon's new unlimited plan? It looks really tempting right now and might be the thing that finally gets me to leave / drop my grandfathered unlimited data.