Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rick posted:

I had nice seats to the Lakers game tonight and have come to the conclusion that Nick Young is blind and is playing basketball like Daredevil via sonar.

Yeah but Daredevil would actually make baskets...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Who is ready for the Goran Dragic firesale?

quote:

"[W]e love our young core. And what we have is flexibility. And you need flexibility in this league to be able to move quickly. You can't get paralyzed by the cap or not being able to make room and being able to trade players. I think the No. 1 asset that we have right now is our flexibility moving forward. We have a first-round pick this year. So we're dealing with it. We're dealing with that word that you hate to use – that we have to rebuild. But we will rebuild quick. I'm not going to hang around here for three or four years selling this kind of song to people in Miami. We have great, great fans. They're frustrated. They've been used to something great over the last 10 years and so right now we're taking a hit. I think we can turn this thing around. As I said, if five of those [close] losses were turned into wins we could be in the playoffs right now. But they didn’t.

“You can use that word rebuild. But we're going to do it fast.”

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I said in the summer, and lots of other people too probably, that he'd be a great fit in Philly. They can take on his salary and give Miami a pick or two with protections for him. He would be an ideal point guard to run the offense for their young team, plus is a good enough shooter and cutter to play off-ball when Simmons runs the point.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I said in the summer, and lots of other people too probably, that he'd be a great fit in Philly. They can take on his salary and give Miami a pick or two with protections for him. He would be an ideal point guard to run the offense for their young team, plus is a good enough shooter and cutter to play off-ball when Simmons runs the point.

This is a good take. I agree it would be a pretty ideal trade scenario. Not sure if/when Philly actually wants to pull the trigger on acquiring any guys though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Isn't this draft loaded with guards? Even if Dragic was cheapish, why would you want to mess with a golden opportunity.

Although you can say they could trade for Dragic and push for the playoffs and use the pick-swap with Sacramento as a slight hedge.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Isn't this draft loaded with guards? Even if Dragic was cheapish, why would you want to mess with a golden opportunity.

Although you can say they could trade for Dragic and push for the playoffs and use the pick-swap with Sacramento as a slight hedge.
Even in the world where you don't want to get a proven player so you can gamble on an unknown pick in a not great draft, Dragic previously played very well in a 2 PG lineup.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Even in the world where you don't want to get a proven player so you can gamble on an unknown pick in a not great draft, Dragic previously played very well in a 2 PG lineup.

...that he hated and demanded a trade away from. Although he might be singing a different song now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Dragic right now makes Philly a better team. Maybe not playoff but they'd leap Brooklyn and an obviously tanking Miami. Does Philly want to become a better team right when they have their own pick in a draft apparently loaded with talent at a position of need? If they want to make a deal for him in the summer, sure why not.

And yes, Dragic would love to be in a 2 PG line-up again.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Long distance relationships are so hard...

Rick your DNick dardevil comparison is quite apt. Kind of like those videos Dokmo posted of Mo pete

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 28, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

pubic works project posted:

Yeah but Daredevil would actually make baskets...

Nick Young's actually been shooting really well this year. He's been a real solid player.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

What's the golden opportunity? That they get someone really good at the PG spot in the draft, and that if they acquire Dragic it makes it less likely (because they'd presumably be giving up a pick or two for him)? If it's a guard heavy draft, then giving up a good pick for Dragic doesn't mean they can't get a good guard further down the board, don't they have like 12 picks in the 1st round next year or something ridiculous?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Derrick Rose Rule

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The B_36 posted:

What's the golden opportunity? That they get someone really good at the PG spot in the draft, and that if they acquire Dragic it makes it less likely (because they'd presumably be giving up a pick or two for him)? If it's a guard heavy draft, then giving up a good pick for Dragic doesn't mean they can't get a good guard further down the board, don't they have like 12 picks in the 1st round next year or something ridiculous?

The golden opportunity is that they are the worst team in the league in a year where the draft is shaping up to have a lot of talent at a position of need for them. With Embiid and Simmons, this is a potential James Harden OKC opportunity here. Quantity != quality in the NBA draft. 4 random first round picks aren't worth a single good, high pick. Yes, you can find talent in the draft in the teens, but it's significantly harder and less likely. Dragic is a fine player, but I'd rather take a shot at a top prospect if I'm a team not expected to do anything this season.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 28, 2016

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Lockback posted:

...that he hated and demanded a trade away from. Although he might be singing a different song now.

To be fair that was after the Suns signed Isaiah Thomas. Two of Dragic, Bledsoe, and Thomas were on the court at all times but Dragic never got to handle the ball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I just want to say how weird it is that people in their 50s and 60s would have a 4 year engagement.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Lockback posted:

I just want to say how weird it is that people in their 50s and 60s would have a 4 year engagement.

What's the rush? It's not like they're having kids or anything.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Lockback posted:

well, these aren't exactly normal 50/60 year olds. These people have the monies

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

Because Dragic is a really good 3 point shooter and PnR guy and it takes a few years for guards to develop usually

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dejan Bimble posted:

Long distance relationships are so hard...

Rick your DNick dardevil comparison is quite apt. Kind of like those videos Dokmo posted of Mo pete

Long distance relationships are like being married to a computer. Basically Phil divorced his mac book pro

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Doltos posted:

Because Dragic is a really good 3 point shooter and PnR guy and it takes a few years for guards to develop usually

The sixers have time. Probably.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

alansmithee posted:

Yup.

Also I wish someone would write a book about those Kings teams instead of the super overrated Nash Suns team.

Those Kings teams were cool but the reason the Suns remain relevant is every single team in the league today incorporates elements of the D'Antoni approach to pick and rolls. Don't get me wrong, that's a good argument for the Adelman Kings, too, because everyone runs a little bit of corner-Sacto, including D'Antoni. I just think it's hard to "overrate" those Suns teams in terms of influence.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Suns back then pretty much got position-less basketball done 10 years before its time.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The sixers have time. Probably.

There is zero pressure to win with the fanbase this year. Everyone is happy with the Simmons pick, Embiid's debut, and what will likely be both a top 5 and a top 10 pick in a good draft.

They're not going to decrease their % to pick up a potential All Star like Fultz or Jackson just to boost their win total from the mid teens to high teens.

The overwhelming topic of conversation, controversy, etc. has been the Noel/Okafor dilemma. The pendulum has swung in Noel's favor in the past several weeks.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Cool Buff Man posted:

Patrick Beverley has always been funny as hell and I'm glad he was the skills champion

The key to appreciating Beverley is understanding that he believes Highlander was a non-fiction documentary.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

chunkles posted:

The key to appreciating Beverley is understanding that he believes Highlander was a non-fiction documentary.

He's right

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

And then Joey Crawford T'd him up

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What kinda legacies do stockton and malone have? They are who I think of when I think pnr.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m85G7_4o5-U
Great punchline from this method man appearance on the bassment

"By Now if yall don't know who I am, don't makeme tell
just know I kill a mic like that kid from ATL
got a plan, nigga, plan to fail
see my game ugly, like that nigga, Sam Cassel"

Femur posted:

What kinda legacies do stockton and malone have? They are who I think of when I think pnr.

Aren't they considered the sui generis pnr combo of the pre like 2005 NBAwhen everything became all PNR all the time

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 28, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Doltos posted:

Rubio shot a better % and hit just as many 3s as Dragic did last year. He's been up and down and he really doesn't take very many, averaging a grand total of 1 make a year. Goran Dragic is not a really good 3 point shooter. A good start this year should not be near enough to call him really good.

He is a good PnR player and a great "break down the defense with a dribble-drive", but he needs the ball in his hands a lot. Maybe that will be what the 76ers need, but with Simmons and Embiid I feel like they have time to find out. Dragic is also on the other side of 30 now, so his window does not fit at all with the rest of that teams.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers are tanking this year . I doubt they do anything to jump out of the top 3.

Also they are going to give Simmons the ball a ton in the last 30 games or whatever.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

If Dragic ever fulfills his destiny as Steve Nash's heir, he should start rattling off a bunch of all-star and quasi-MVP-worthy seasons at age 31.

e: I went down a bref rabbit hole and came back to tell you guys that Kawhi Leonard and Paul George are shooting over 90% on free throws on a sizable number of attempts.

Also, George Karl pumps the brakes for about 5 seconds and then slams the pedal again

quote:

George Karl, in an interview with New York Magazine, had more to say about Carmelo Anthony: "Melo is a hell of a player, the best offensive player I've ever coached," Karl said. "I owe him as much as anyone for my having a great record. But there's a new generation of players interested in personal branding and gaining money and power off the court, and that's all new to me . There were too many times with Melo when what was going on off the court was more important than what was happening on the court. It bothered me then and it bothers me now."

And, good news for Rick!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18364432/los-angeles-lakers-audition-free-agent-donatas-motiejunas

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 28, 2016

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

alansmithee posted:

Nick Young's actually been shooting really well this year. He's been a real solid player.

Haha yeah I know. I was just looking at his stats for the last game. I think he scored like 4 points.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Femur posted:

Yeah, what's weird is that if you watch their games, there is a real lack of pick and roll. A few years ago I watched a bunch of their playoff games against the Bulls from the 90s and it struck me how few pick and rolls there were. Just to make sure, I just watched the first quarter of this random game from 2001. I count zero ball screens. To put that into context, the average NBA team in 2016 has 16 ball screens in the first quarter, and nobody has less than ten. There are a ton of screens in this game, including a lot of back screens which you don't really see today outside a GSW game, but no ball screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHMm2Etr5g
:siren: John Crotty alert :siren:

Look at this play. This would absolutely be a pick and roll by 2006, either a mid pnr with Ostertag or a step up with Donyell.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Tae posted:

The Suns back then pretty much got position-less basketball done 10 years before its time.

I miss having a competitive team to watch :smith:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Derrick Rose Rule

lmao

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There is zero pressure to win with the fanbase this year. Everyone is happy with the Simmons pick, Embiid's debut, and what will likely be both a top 5 and a top 10 pick in a good draft.

They're not going to decrease their % to pick up a potential All Star like Fultz or Jackson just to boost their win total from the mid teens to high teens.

The overwhelming topic of conversation, controversy, etc. has been the Noel/Okafor dilemma. The pendulum has swung in Noel's favor in the past several weeks.

Man that conversation that wound up getting you that red text was ridiculous. Great illustration of the difference between having a reasonable argument (he thought the Celtics would be better than the 76ers in the near future although he projected way too far out) and arguing reasonably (he was being a total rear end in a top hat about things that were not as self-evident as they might seem.)

Dejan Bimble posted:

just know I kill a mic like that kid from ATL

Once I was idly reciting a Gucci Mane line from maybe Photo Shoot? to myself something like "Killa Mike, I kill the mic, absolutely kill the mic" to myself then I realized my roommate Mike was in the room and I was all no that's not what I meant :o:

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 28, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
What's the argument for keeping Okafor over Noel? Potential? It seems like Embiid and (probably) Simmons do everything Okafor does, but better.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Noel is a free agent and not been happy. Also not sure what a Okafor trade would even return these days.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

NickRoweFillea posted:

What's the argument for keeping Okafor over Noel? Potential? It seems like Embiid and (probably) Simmons do everything Okafor does, but better.

Okafor is supposed to be a highly skilled offensive player with a lot of polish who could contribute immediately on offense and maybe someday be not poo poo at defense, and Noel is basically the inverse of that. Offensively, neither one really complements Embiid but I guess if you think that Embiid will develop an outside game then I guess you could justify keeping them both

They don't play Embiid and Okafor together enough to know if it would actually work which seems really weird but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The Hinkie-Morey line of thinking would probably be that Okafor's shot creation is harder to replace than Noel's rebounding/finishing/hair. Not that that informs whatever the 76ers are going to do now

• Locked thread