Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

peepsalot posted:

This is not specifically a "home" networking question, but this seemed like the best place to ask anyways. Looking for a sort of portable router for a specific use-case with some unique requirements.

The scenario is that I would be in a remote location with my laptop, and want to quickly / conveniently, and temporarily connect it to some headless device (which has a wired ethernet port), do some configuration of the device over this connection, then disconnect and leave.

I know that I could theoretically configure a DHCP server on the laptop itself, but that is not what I want. The goal here is that virtually any laptop could be used, with no special configuration needed on the laptop itself, it would just be assumed to default to dhcp and get its IP from this portable router.

So ideally I'm looking for something that
1) can be powered over regular laptop USB port (<= 500mA current requirement), i won't necessarily have a power outlet available
2) Acts as USB-ethernet adapter via same USB port that power comes from
3) has builtin router, so USB-ethernet gets its IP auto assigned (it would be best if i can set it up to always give the same two IP for the two connections)
4) At least one RJ45 port(for the headless device) that also gets its own IP assigned by this router
5) form factor as small as possible for easy carrying

Features I DON'T necessarily need:
1) Speed (10Mbps would be fine honestly)
2) WiFi, the headless devices I need to connect to have a wired ethernet port. (Unless there's no good choice that does power and data over USB, then I guess the laptop could connect via WiFi instead)

So is there something that fits this description that people would recommend?

The only thing I can think of on the top of my head that would fit the criteria is a Raspberry PI 3 with a battery pack/power bank.

But as Krailor said, this seems needlessly complicated.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Krailor posted:

Are these headless devices configured to only get an IP though DHCP?
yes

Krailor posted:

Ideally...
life isn't ideal

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Actuarial Fables posted:

The only thing I can think of on the top of my head that would fit the criteria is a Raspberry PI 3 with a battery pack/power bank.

But as Krailor said, this seems needlessly complicated.

This or an actual old router (like a wrt54g or something) + a battery pack w/ an AC outlet are probably gonna be your best bets.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Some of the tplink travel routers can be powered over USB, but I don't think they can treat USB as a network interface.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I could ask this in the Linux thread, Raspberry Pi thread, or here, but what I'd really like is a way to make UDP multicast not suck over wifi, so I'll ask here first.

I'm turning a Raspi 2 into a little audio monitor, and the simple straightforward way I'd like to do it is having ffmpeg take USB microphone input, transcode to mp3, and push it out to a multicast IP via RTP. I've done this, and it somewhat works but the packet loss is horrible. This works well if I actually do UDP unicast by pushing it to a single IP rather than multicast, but that somewhat defeats my goals.

The only other good solution I see involves adding some sort of http streaming server to the stack like icecast2 or nginx with a rtmp module, but that's going to be a whole other thing to configure, another service to write, and more stress on the RPi's teeny little CPU. I could also run an http streaming server on another machine, but that's even more complexity.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I'm looking for a wireless router that has decent range for a larger home but doesn't need to support a huge number of devices and can't be too complicated because it's for mom and dad. I don't really want to pay the apple-tax.

The Ubiquiti stuff in the OP sounds like it might be a little complicated for older folks.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Amarcarts posted:

I'm looking for a wireless router that has decent range for a larger home but doesn't need to support a huge number of devices and can't be too complicated because it's for mom and dad. I don't really want to pay the apple-tax.

The Ubiquiti stuff in the OP sounds like it might be a little complicated for older folks.

Range + large home = more than one access point. Try the Eero, Ubiquiti AmpliFi, Plume or maybe Orbi. Google also makes a wifi mesh router but I'd advise staying away from Google hardware simply because Google's track record for killing off hardware projects and support is starting to show.

This Ars review seems to say that Plume might be the current front runner among the mesh network offerings.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/review-comparing-google-wifi-to-other-mesh-networking-heavyweights/

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Amarcarts posted:

The Amplifi is made by Ubiquiti but it's their consumer line. I got the base model and it solved all of the dead zone problems I had in my house. Don't buy the LR version as it still has 802.11n mesh points, just has slightly higher power. Most of the time I am in range of the base station and get really good speeds, but when I get into the fringe areas I still get 50+Mbps to the internet. It is also an awesome router for those with gigabit internet as I can get 900+ tests going easily.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
My dudes, a question about the power supply for the EdgeRouter X: is the center positive or negative?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Earl of Lavender posted:

My dudes, a question about the power supply for the EdgeRouter X: is the center positive or negative?

Center is positive.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Thanks for the tips people I appreciate it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
How do I make sure I don't get owned by a wifi pineapple? It seems like what I want is a certificate system like the one mentioned in the OP, with WPA enterprise and RADIUS. But how can I simultaneously make it convenient for guests in my home to get on my WiFi network, and hard for me to get owned by a war driver?

edit: Actually, I'm not even sure WPA enterprise does what I want. I don't just want my network to trust its client, I want my client, my phone or whatever, to trust its network.

Also, is there a way to make it so clients on the same router interface can't talk to each other? It'd be nice if I could just set up VLANs and make it so all my known devices live in their own little walled garden, but I'm not sure if that's possible with my router->unmanaged switch->everything else, including AP setup.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 26, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
In order to set up WPA Enterprise, you need a dedicated server running radius and active directory, preferably supported with a proper pubic key infrastructure. If you're using a unifi access point, you can designate an SSID for guest and map out a separate VLAN for it, though you'll need a managed switch and to mess around with your dhcp server to add a range in for that. With Unifi, you can block access to other VLANs with the guest wireless, and insofar as I've tested it, I can't get through with pings or nmap port scanning, so I'd say it works well.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a RT-N66U which seems to run fine. My cable company gave me an Arris Touchstone TG2472 that has wireless ac. So far I have been only using it in bridge mode plugged into my RT-N66U. Does anyone know if using the Arris as my NAT will be much better? So far the only advantage I know of is the AC capability but my internet is only 120mbps down....which I usually average around 90. There are 13 devices on my network but the Asus router is still going strong.

edit: cable guy told me the modem's router function can't hold a match to the rt-n66u and ac wont matter much with my speeds.

Housh fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 27, 2016

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

OSU_Matthew posted:

In order to set up WPA Enterprise, you need a dedicated server running radius and active directory, preferably supported with a proper pubic key infrastructure.

Do you actually need AD specifically? I thought you could do this with any appropriately set up RADIUS deployment? E.g. you could use FreeIPA or something instead if so inclined?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

waloo posted:

Do you actually need AD specifically? I thought you could do this with any appropriately set up RADIUS deployment? E.g. you could use FreeIPA or something instead if so inclined?

Correct, you don't need AD it's just the most common.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So, will a Cat6 patch panel and cat6 keystones not work at all with Cat5?

e: answered my own question. It works just fine, I just did a lovely job terminating one of my runs.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 28, 2016

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

but what I'd really like is a way to make UDP multicast not suck over wifi
There isn't an easy answer here. As you've noted there's a lot of packet loss on 802.11, so much so that non-TCP-based protocols are almost useless.

There's three approaches to dealing with this. The first is to setup a streaming server and just send out unicast TCP streams (e.g., icecast). If you have, say, ten consumers or less this is really the best answer.

The second option is to add forward error correction (FEC) to the RTP stream payload before sending it. FEC adds redundant data to the stream itself so that recipients can piece together missing data from lost packets. There's a bunch of downsides though: it's computationally expensive (and may not work on an RPi), requires support in the receivers, and there's not to my knowledge any popular open-source implementation, but there's been a number of RFCs and professional solutions over the years. This article has an overview, and you might want to look into ULP FEC (RFC 5109) which is used in WebRTC.

The third option is to switch to the Opus codec which has built-in FEC.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Probably a straightforward question. I have a wireless router set up in my apartment, but I have run out of wired ports. I'm going to buy a switch, since most of the wired devices are in the same area. The only question is... which comes first in the chain? Do I connect the modem directly to the switch or to the router?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

modem > router > switch > devices

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

modem > router > switch > devices

Thanks! Will anything get weird if I have some devices plugged into the switch and other devices plugged into the router?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hedgecore posted:

Thanks! Will anything get weird if I have some devices plugged into the switch and other devices plugged into the router?

Nope. Unmanaged switches are plug & play.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There isn't an easy answer here. As you've noted there's a lot of packet loss on 802.11, so much so that non-TCP-based protocols are almost useless.

There's three approaches to dealing with this. The first is to setup a streaming server and just send out unicast TCP streams (e.g., icecast). If you have, say, ten consumers or less this is really the best answer.

The second option is to add forward error correction (FEC) to the RTP stream payload before sending it. FEC adds redundant data to the stream itself so that recipients can piece together missing data from lost packets. There's a bunch of downsides though: it's computationally expensive (and may not work on an RPi), requires support in the receivers, and there's not to my knowledge any popular open-source implementation, but there's been a number of RFCs and professional solutions over the years. This article has an overview, and you might want to look into ULP FEC (RFC 5109) which is used in WebRTC.

That's pretty interesting info and I didn't even ask the question or have any other real need for it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hey all. So I have this router Asus RT-N66U

I got this NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000 for my mom but she ended up not needing it.I paid $180 or thereabouts for it new. I put it up for sale for $200 but haven't received any bites.

Suffice is to say I'm considering just keeping it then. Is it overkill for my needs? I'm a pitiful bachelor and my place is pretty small--but I do like to chill on the patio with my surface pro. My PS4 and TV are wired but other than that a handful of other devices

I don't really understand internet speeds too well. I have the Cox premier package which is apparently up to 150mbps download and up to 10 mbps upload

My modem is the SB6141 I'm online a lot and money isn't much of an issue: I'm a latest and greatest kind of person. But if i'm perfectly fine where I'm at that's cool too

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 30, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Thank you so much! I was originally trying to use Opus, but my proof of concept was using VLC to receive and VLC hates opus over RTP for some reason, even with an SDP file. Apparently any other client but VLC would work, but I hadn't even considered that VLC would be insufficient.

The whole thing has fallen apart on me because my source (Raspberry Pi 2) with it's lovely wifi adapter (Wi-Pi) can only upload about 150kbps from the location where I want to run it... which isn't enough to make icecast happy.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have a Synology NAS. I have a ZNC irc bouncer running as a bootstrapped package on that same machine. It's running on a non-standard port, and that port is forwarded to the outside world in my router.

It's been working great for years, but now when I'm away from home, I can only connect with the irc client on my phone when my phone is connected to a wifi network. It will absolutely not connect when I'm on T Mobile LTE.

Strangely, while on LTE I can still connect to the ZNC web admin page which is hosted on the same port.

I've tried switching ports, I've enabled SSL, and I've cleared out the auto-blocked IP list in the Synology GUI. I'm just stumped as to what has changed in the last week.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

eddiewalker posted:

I have a Synology NAS. I have a ZNC irc bouncer running as a bootstrapped package on that same machine. It's running on a non-standard port, and that port is forwarded to the outside world in my router.

It's been working great for years, but now when I'm away from home, I can only connect with the irc client on my phone when my phone is connected to a wifi network. It will absolutely not connect when I'm on T Mobile LTE.

Strangely, while on LTE I can still connect to the ZNC web admin page which is hosted on the same port.

I've tried switching ports, I've enabled SSL, and I've cleared out the auto-blocked IP list in the Synology GUI. I'm just stumped as to what has changed in the last week.

This sounds like a setting in the IRC client to be honest. Connecting directly to IRC via cellular is a nightmare of disconnections/reconnections so it's probably trying to prevent that, even though connecting through znc mitigates that from affecting the channel.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Looks like you're right. Seems like Colloquy mobile is broken.

I tried a different client and it works fine. Colloquy has been garbage for a long time, but I've kept using it just because it's got an iOS push plugin for ZNC.

Thanks. I should've checked that earlier.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I moved into a new house a few months ago.

Previously I was in a flat, and used power line adaptors to get decent throughout to my TV & connected devices, and separately to my NAS upstairs.

In the new house I'm unable to get decent throughput from the NAS to my other devices, due to poor signal. This is either due to noise, being on a separate ring or GFI protected connections.

I don't want to re-wire my house, run Ethernet, or buy lots of filters to fix this.

My Wifi Router is older (TPLink 3600), but adequate enough, but I'm considering going all Wifi to solve these problems, so makes sense to replace it.

I'm technical enough to setup an Edgerouter, so will probably go for that plus a Unifi AP Pro.

I also need to wirelessly bridge my NAS to this, and if possible have another AP / booster in the same location - nice to have.

Can I do that with a 2nd Unifi AP, connected only by WiFi, or do I need another product?

Alternatively, are any of the mesh systems worth the extra cost? I can only find Orbi for sale in the U.K. at the moment, for £300ish, so seems crazy.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wicaeed posted:

My Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite finally gave up the ghost after a poweroutage last week, so now I'm shopping around for a replacement.

I assume the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X would be my next logical router, but if I wanted to replace my aging wireless access point at the same time for a small 3 story townhome, what would be my best bet for a WAP from Ubiquiti?

Ridiculously late to this but the storage in ERLs is a USB drive and they really cheaped out on the quality. They fail quite easily when the power is cut. If you replace the stick you could potentially resurrect the router. Or give it to me!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hey all. So I have this router Asus RT-N66U

I got this NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000 for my mom but she ended up not needing it.I paid $180 or thereabouts for it new. I put it up for sale for $200 but haven't received any bites.

Suffice is to say I'm considering just keeping it then. Is it overkill for my needs? I'm a pitiful bachelor and my place is pretty small--but I do like to chill on the patio with my surface pro. My PS4 and TV are wired but other than that a handful of other devices

I don't really understand internet speeds too well. I have the Cox premier package which is apparently up to 150mbps download and up to 10 mbps upload

My modem is the SB6141 I'm online a lot and money isn't much of an issue: I'm a latest and greatest kind of person. But if i'm perfectly fine where I'm at that's cool too

You probably won't see much improvement over the router you're currently using. The Nighthawk X6 has AC wireless which the RT-N66U lacks, but you're still going to be limited by your ISP package. Your effective internet speed is determined by the slowest link.

If you plan on getting a faster internet package, or want extended wireless range, it'll be cheaper to just get an access point that supports AC wireless and connect it to your router.

e. The video ad for it has a very Deus Ex-y feel, but it can't compete to my favorite :pcgaming: router ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVXmn4PasA8

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 2, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Actuarial Fables posted:

You probably won't see much improvement over the router you're currently using. The Nighthawk X6 has AC wireless which the RT-N66U lacks, but you're still going to be limited by your ISP package. Your effective internet speed is determined by the slowest link.

If you plan on getting a faster internet package, or want extended wireless range, it'll be cheaper to just get an access point that supports AC wireless and connect it to your router.

e. The video ad for it has a very Deus Ex-y feel, but it can't compete to my favorite :pcgaming: router ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVXmn4PasA8

Hopefully those antennas are motorized so you can flip it over and make it walk like a crab.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
HI all,

I'm looking for an alternative to the Archer C7 v2 in the same price range.

I just bought this brand new on the recommendation of the OP a few days ago for my family's house and it was working great the first few days. However, in the past couple of days, I've had to reboot it at least 4 times because of slow speeds and now because the 2.4GHz SSID refuses to work - to the point where no device can connect or connected devices can't access the internal network or router. The 5GHz SSID works fine. A reboot will fix it and some troubleshooting online recommended changing to a fixed channel instead of auto, but this isn't something I wan't to deal with or leave my family with when I leave - especially for a router this expensive and new.

I'm on the latest firmware and online reports indicate that this is an issue people have been seeing throughout the lifespan of the product.

What are some alternatives to the C7 within the same price range?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

unpurposed posted:

I'm on the latest firmware and online reports indicate that this is an issue people have been seeing throughout the lifespan of the product.

You're going to find these types of reports for every router. Mainly because a reboot is the easiest method of fixing some other problem that may not have anything to do with the quality of the router.

I'm not saying the C7 does or does not have an issue, but seeing people reporting to have to reboot their router is almost negative evidence in that it makes you think you know something about the router but really doesn't tell you much of anything.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

eddiewalker posted:

Looks like you're right. Seems like Colloquy mobile is broken.

I tried a different client and it works fine. Colloquy has been garbage for a long time, but I've kept using it just because it's got an iOS push plugin for ZNC.

Thanks. I should've checked that earlier.

No worries. I use IRC via znc on the iPad through the Palaver app, haven't had many issues that I can recall. I believe it also uses push.

knox_harrington posted:

Ridiculously late to this but the storage in ERLs is a USB drive and they really cheaped out on the quality. They fail quite easily when the power is cut. If you replace the stick you could potentially resurrect the router. Or give it to me!

poo poo, that makes a lot of sense. I had a couple die that I replaced with USGs which are nice, but I need the broader ERL feature set at the colo so I've been a bit nervous there. I might just take a couple of these dead units and have redundant border routing there instead. Do you have a link to a guide for swapping the USB sticks, and/or recommendations on a decent replacement?

Edit: googled and found some threads talking about it. I'll have to check and see if I can get them RMAed first before breaking em open.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 3, 2017

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

unpurposed posted:

HI all,

I'm looking for an alternative to the Archer C7 v2 in the same price range.

I just bought this brand new on the recommendation of the OP a few days ago for my family's house and it was working great the first few days. However, in the past couple of days, I've had to reboot it at least 4 times because of slow speeds and now because the 2.4GHz SSID refuses to work - to the point where no device can connect or connected devices can't access the internal network or router. The 5GHz SSID works fine. A reboot will fix it and some troubleshooting online recommended changing to a fixed channel instead of auto, but this isn't something I wan't to deal with or leave my family with when I leave - especially for a router this expensive and new.

What are some alternatives to the C7 within the same price range?

Don't worry, your not the only one. Owned the c7 since early last year. Works well for the most part but lagging speeds and hung up wireless networks does happen with it. Rebooting clears it. It's kind of annoying but nothing game breaking.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

Hmm alright thanks. I do have some AC devices. I am a bit torn so not sure yet

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Breakout the functions and never look back. Separate APs/routing/switching fo' lyfe.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

One other option would be to use the X6 as an access point. It's quite a bit more expensive than a standard AP, but if you already have it and don't feel it's worth your time to try and sell, that's an avenue you can go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Bit confused, why not just get rid of my old Asus router completely? My modem doesn't need an upgrade right?