Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilano
Feb 25, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Free speech is good, writes the UW president, in a defense of an upcoming speech by a wildly unpopular fascist shitstain

"Nonetheless, the right to free speech and expression is broad and allows for speech that is offensive and that most of us would consider disrespectful, and even sexist or racist. As a public university committed to the free exchange of ideas and free expression, we are obligated to uphold this right. We have reviewed this event with the State Attorney General’s office and there are not, at this time, sufficient grounds to ban him from speaking on our campus, although we continue to monitor what is going on as he speaks elsewhere."

This seems like a good explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's funny people complain about ec voters not picking clinton, when politicians breaking campaign pledges is such a regular occurrence we joke about it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Seems like it would be more productive to let him speak and make your counter protest a bigger event than his speech. Basically a large scale version of this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/paigebrittany/status/809563991315980289

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Seems like it would be more productive to let him speak and make your counter protest a bigger event than his speech. Basically a large scale version of this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/paigebrittany/status/809563991315980289
Okay, first off, this isn't a public street corner. Secondly, the university is defending his right to speak, which will be shutting down any of that if it goes on. Thirdly, it sounds like you want protestors to be able to protest but you don't want them to actually accomplish anything.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What do you call a speech that no one listens to?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I think you misunderstood what the UW blogpost said.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

HEY NONG MAN posted:

There's a good joke here but I can't quite put my finger on it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I set it up for you. Just do it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The best I can come up with is 'The Response to the State of the Union' but that's not very funny.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

You are postal-working... No that's not it either.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

In college they called it a lecture.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Relevant Tangent posted:

In college they called it a lecture.

THERE WE GO! WE HAVE THE JOKE!

Good job Relevant Tangent.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
For twelve years, you have been asking: What do you call a speech that no one listens to? This is a speech that no one listens to. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing -- you who dread knowledge -- I am the man who will now tell you.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
apply rotten produce to Milo's face wherever he appears imo

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

anthonypants posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: What do you call a speech that no one listens to? This is a speech that no one listens to. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing -- you who dread knowledge -- I am the man who will now tell you.

Ah darn I was just gonna say that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Ah darn I was just gonna say that
Here's another one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/registerguard/status/811650666120630272 Good

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HEY NONG MAN posted:

three pounds of flax

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
For us old people who still watch tv sometimes, NWCN is being taken off the air January 6th.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Freakazoid_ posted:

For us old people who still watch tv sometimes, NWCN is being taken off the air January 6th.

What will the deli in my office building play now????

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
They had the best system of showing school snow closures, iirc. RIP snow

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Whitefish, Montana has become an epicenter of a battle between neonazis and...the rest of us:

http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...cda3a6ef9b.html

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

Whitefish, Montana has become an epicenter of a battle between neonazis and...the rest of us:

http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...cda3a6ef9b.html

Is Montana trying to supplant Idaho as the #1 neo-Nazi state?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is Montana trying to supplant Idaho as the #1 neo-Nazi state?

Montana is trying to do no such thing.

Richard Spencer wasn't born in Montana. He doesn't mainly live in Montana. He lives in Northern Virginia. }

Even with the neo-nazi takeover of Idaho, that was people coming in from outside. It wasn't really fueled by local people.

Which reminds me...

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Kind of Pacific Northwest related, and especially Western related:

One thing I've been taking apart since the election is the narrative that Donald Trump's victory was about "rural" people against the "coastal elites". Looking through a lot of maps, and a lot of data, it seems to be a more involved story.

One thing I decided to look at was how Trump performed versus Romney. Not his margin with Hillary Clinton, which was effected in placed by people going to third party candidates. (In Oregon, Clinton had a smaller margin over Trump than Obama had over Romney, even though Romney had a higher percentage of the vote than Trump.)

I made a color coded map: tealish for areas where Romney outperformed Trump and orange (get it?) for areas where Trump outperformed Romney.

Its a pretty telling map:

The upshot of this is that Trump outperformed Romney in the East, and Romney outperformed Trump in the West.

Even though Idaho is still one of the most conservative states in the nation, the movement there was away from Trump. In Rhode Island, one of the most liberal, the movement was towards Trump.

Partisan is still very powerful, but there does seem to be some type of underlying cultural attitudes that effected the election. Pretty uniformly in the West, Trump seems to be less popular than Romney. Probably a lot of this has to do with Mormon population, but I don't think all of it does.

I am going to make another map like this specifically for Oregon.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

Kind of Pacific Northwest related, and especially Western related:

One thing I've been taking apart since the election is the narrative that Donald Trump's victory was about "rural" people against the "coastal elites". Looking through a lot of maps, and a lot of data, it seems to be a more involved story.

One thing I decided to look at was how Trump performed versus Romney. Not his margin with Hillary Clinton, which was effected in placed by people going to third party candidates. (In Oregon, Clinton had a smaller margin over Trump than Obama had over Romney, even though Romney had a higher percentage of the vote than Trump.)

I made a color coded map: tealish for areas where Romney outperformed Trump and orange (get it?) for areas where Trump outperformed Romney.

Its a pretty telling map:

The upshot of this is that Trump outperformed Romney in the East, and Romney outperformed Trump in the West.

Even though Idaho is still one of the most conservative states in the nation, the movement there was away from Trump. In Rhode Island, one of the most liberal, the movement was towards Trump.

Partisan is still very powerful, but there does seem to be some type of underlying cultural attitudes that effected the election. Pretty uniformly in the West, Trump seems to be less popular than Romney. Probably a lot of this has to do with Mormon population, but I don't think all of it does.

I am going to make another map like this specifically for Oregon.
How do you quantify "outperformed"? Is it by raw vote count, or by percentage of voters?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm starting to think that his name and charts are just a brilliant av+post troll combo

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

coyo7e posted:

I'm starting to think that his name and charts are just a brilliant av+post troll combo

What do you dislike about them?

Are you tired of talking about the election?

Do you think my selection of data is arbitrary?

Do you think the graphic design is bad (a fair point!)?

Do you think its aspergery how much I like charts and graphs?

or...

Do you have an ideological explanation for this election that isn't supported by data? Because there are a lot of people who seem to think that Trump's success is due to Poor Rural Whites, and then its kind of hard to explain why he did better than Romney in Connecticut.

Although for the Oregon map, the data actually supports that theory. Romney did better than Trump in rich suburbs, but Trump did better in traditional logging/fishing areas.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

glowing-fish posted:

Are you tired of talking about the election?

Do you think my selection of data is arbitrary?

Do you think the graphic design is bad (a fair point!)?

Do you think its aspergery how much I like charts and graphs?

or...

Do you have an ideological explanation for this election that isn't supported by data? Because there are a lot of people who seem to think that Trump's success is due to Poor Rural Whites, and then its kind of hard to explain why he did better than Romney in Connecticut.

Although for the Oregon map, the data actually supports that theory. Romney did better than Trump in rich suburbs, but Trump did better in traditional logging/fishing areas.

Dude you are right now conflating your county map where you use the intimate yet uncited knowledge of every area's history and culture within Oregon to a map where you compare the entire country against itself and use a state's name as a label like a trite teenager trying to say "Its The Current Year, Don't Be X".

You're really really bad at this.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Gerund posted:

Dude you are right now conflating your county map where you use the intimate yet uncited knowledge of every area's history and culture within Oregon to a map where you compare the entire country against itself and use a state's name as a label like a trite teenager trying to say "Its The Current Year, Don't Be X".

You're really really bad at this.

What is it I am bad at? I don't even know what you think it is that I am bad at.

Like, do you think I am bad at choosing the right data, at presenting the data, or at drawing conclusions?

I haven't drawn many conclusions from this map so far, other than that Trump did generally better than Romney in the East, and vice-versa.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

You're using a microscope to see "same as it ever was" .

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Shifty Nipples posted:

You're using a microscope to see "same as it ever was" .

Could you be more clear?

Is this your way of saying I am being too detail oriented at looking at specific numbers and slight shifts, when I should be looking at a larger narrative?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The story isn't involved, folks capable of a line of thought I would consider delusional are capable of voting for donald trump.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Shifty Nipples posted:

The story isn't involved, folks capable of a line of thought I would consider delusional are capable of voting for donald trump.

Ah, so you don't like my map because it tried to provide a more detailed explanation and pattern to voting than "folks capable of a line of thought I would consider delusional are capable of voting for donald trump."

?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Why did this happen? Because there are a lot of stupid people.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

Why did this happen? Because there are a lot of stupid people.
This is really the best excuse because it can mean people who didn't vote the way you wanted, people who didn't vote at all, or the Hillary Clinton campaign team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moNHfeBJ81I&hd=1

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

anthonypants posted:

This is really the best excuse because it can mean people who didn't vote the way you wanted, people who didn't vote at all, or the Hillary Clinton campaign team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moNHfeBJ81I&hd=1

Exactly

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I wonder how that tracks Clinton's unfortunate allocations of campaign resources.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

glowing-fish posted:

For what it's worth, I've been finding your work interesting. I think the most reasonable criticism that's been raised here is just that what you're identifying may not be distinguishable from noise, but I don't know the data and I only know statistics well enough to know I can't figure that analysis myself. :shrug:

By the wall, all: thanks for the ISP tips earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Uh, I think you'll find that attempting to compile data in an effort to find some solid ground on which to base one's narrative understanding of the election results is 110% evil and an example of the only real bigotry in the entire universe: that of people who are comfortable extracting information from data vs people who are not.

• Locked thread