Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38430164
64 members of Alexandrov Ensemble (Red Army Choir) died in a plane crash over Black Sea, along with renowned humanitarian Elisaveta Glinka and journalists of leading Russian tv channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUi1XPZ2Lp4

Causes are obviously unkown at the moment, but the plane was being on its way to Syria, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fatherboxx posted:

Causes are obviously unkown at the moment, but the plane disappeared from radar just minutes after take-off, so...

Fixed your post to sound less ominous. Russian military transport planes crash all the time, the last one happened just a week ago in Siberia.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38362858

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fatherboxx posted:

Causes are obviously unkown at the moment, but the plane was being on its way to Syria, so...

Gulen/Obama/Soros :argh:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And with the Alexandrovs dies the last good thing about Russia, RIP.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Fixed your post to sound less ominous. Russian military transport planes crash all the time, the last one happened just a week ago in Siberia.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38362858

Also Russian TV channels do not employ journalists.
drat shame about the Choir, though. Apparently was going to Syria?

fatherboxx posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38430164
....renowned humanitarian Elisaveta Glinka and journalists of leading Russian tv channels.

Renowned for abducting children and endangering their health, yes.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 25, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Also Russian TV channels do not employ journalists.
drat shame about the Choir, though. Apparently was going to Syria?

Yep, Russian holidays are just coming and they were going to entertain Russian servicemen in Latakia. I can't imagine how depressing it must be having to spend the New Year away from your loved ones and then even the entertainers crash into sea.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

For old times' sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSKSd0x4a5U

I'm expecting them to form the ensemble again, after all what is an army without an official choir? Until such time, the Ministry of Interior's choir holds the monopoly (I wonder if the FSB has its own ensemble?).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nenonen posted:

For old times' sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSKSd0x4a5U

I'm expecting them to form the ensemble again, after all what is an army without an official choir? Until such time, the Ministry of Interior's choir holds the monopoly (I wonder if the FSB has its own ensemble?).
Are we certain this was not part of some internal power struggle? There can be only one Red Army Choir!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It also, in no small part, is down to the preferential hiring of people with prior military training (which is fundamentally incompatible with responsible civilian 'frontline' policing) and, in all likelihood, an influx of cases of undiagnosed PTSD in the months and years after a period of US military-involved conflict draws to a close.

There's actually been cases where officers with prior military experience have been less likely to resort to needless violence, as they've been in situations as stressful or more stressful than trying to figure out if a suspect is armed and are able to analyze the situation and respond appropriately.

The incompatibility is in trying to adopt a military mindset without military training and experience, like Cleveland calling police stations "forward operating bases". They pretend that they're in a war zone where anything could happen, which encourages them to treat all civilians (but especially black ones, because of course) as the enemy rather than as the people they're supposed to be protecting. This is how you get cases where a call for a 12-year-old playing with what may or may not be a toy gun in the park is responded to by cops roaring their car off the road into a park and shooting at a child as they climb out of the vehicle.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

There's actually been cases where officers with prior military experience have been less likely to resort to needless violence, as they've been in situations as stressful or more stressful than trying to figure out if a suspect is armed and are able to analyze the situation and respond appropriately.

The incompatibility is in trying to adopt a military mindset without military training and experience, like Cleveland calling police stations "forward operating bases". They pretend that they're in a war zone where anything could happen, which encourages them to treat all civilians (but especially black ones, because of course) as the enemy rather than as the people they're supposed to be protecting. This is how you get cases where a call for a 12-year-old playing with what may or may not be a toy gun in the park is responded to by cops roaring their car off the road into a park and shooting at a child as they climb out of the vehicle.

Also without anything close to military discipline.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are we certain this was not part of some internal power struggle? There can be only one Red Army Choir!

Fair point, after all we know that in Russia performing arts are a very, very serious business, much like photographic galleries incite violence in Turkey

quote:

Mr. Dmitrichenko told the court that he had asked Yuri Zarutsky, an acquaintance and a former convict, to “knock around” Mr. Filin, but maintained that Mr. Zarutsky took it upon himself to embellish the assault by dousing Mr. Filin’s face with acid. Mr. Zarutsky was sentenced to 10 years for conspiring to cause bodily harm.

Mr. Dmitrichenko now labels the whole affair pure fiction. It was all a plot, he said, by Mr. Filin and his allies in the Bolshoi to remove him from the scene because he was vocal about their corrupt practices and would not be intimidated.

The revisions spill out in dizzying, not to say implausible, succession: He never spoke to Mr. Zarutsky about Mr. Filin. He denied that he admitted as much in court. Ms. Vorontsova was not his girlfriend. He even raises doubts that there was any acid attack since Mr. Filin has little noticeable scaring and can drive, despite the seeming lack of an iris in one eye that he keeps hidden behind sunglasses.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Yep, Russian holidays are just coming and they were going to entertain Russian servicemen in Latakia. I can't imagine how depressing it must be having to spend the New Year away from your loved ones and then even the entertainers crash into sea.
drat good news for the rest of Europe, though; they were planning a tour. Anyhow, I somehow can't find it in myself to mourn the fuckers who were en route to celebrate war crimes in Syria.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2kct9fMY5E

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow, I somehow can't find it in myself to mourn the fuckers who were en route to celebrate war crimes in Syria.

That's... quite a way to see it, I guess.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Apparently Kobzon was supposed to have been on (or was at least invited onto) the same plane, but declined due to medical reasons: http://www.metronews.ru/novosti/kob...C22kit_isaOOPA/

Kobzon to 2016: you tried, but you still can't kill me. Or something..

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Could someone give me some background on "Dr. Liza", the humanitarian activist who was on board the plane? It sounds like she did do some good inside Russia, but I also see that she's been known as Putin's adviser on human rights, which doesn't sound all that great. It seems like she mostly hung around to "whatabout" other nation's human rights issues while ignoring ones caused by Russia. The only thing I could find recently she worked on was getting some needy children in Donbass medical treatment in Moscow that they couldn't get in there, but then again, the whole reason they can't get similar treatments in Kiev or Odessa is because Russia invaded Donbass and cut them off.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Could someone give me some background on "Dr. Liza", the humanitarian activist who was on board the plane? It sounds like she did do some good inside Russia, but I also see that she's been known as Putin's adviser on human rights, which doesn't sound all that great. It seems like she mostly hung around to "whatabout" other nation's human rights issues while ignoring ones caused by Russia. The only thing I could find recently she worked on was getting some needy children in Donbass medical treatment in Moscow that they couldn't get in there, but then again, the whole reason they can't get similar treatments in Kiev or Odessa is because Russia invaded Donbass and cut them off.

What I remember about her is she was "helping" evacuate a kid with significant health needs/requirements for constant care from Slovyansk when it was occupied ---- and her actions there mostly involved prioritizing the face time she gets looking good for cameras, at direct expense of endangering the child. She basically had him dragged away from the negotiated route that had an ambulance waiting, and dragged him around as a prop without even bothering to keep the parents updated.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Nenonen posted:

(I wonder if the FSB has its own ensemble?).

A blue-man group type of thing but with dissidents and rubber hoses instead of buckets and drumsticks.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I'm sorry about your choir, Russia. They never killed anyone.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM_2y6MTPAg

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sergg posted:

I'm sorry about your choir, Russia. They never killed anyone.

Yeah, as much as the Russian government is awful I'm not really thrilled about a bunch of Russian musicians dying.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Happy 25th anniversary of dissolution of Empire of Evil!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It also, in no small part, is down to the preferential hiring of people with prior military training (which is fundamentally incompatible with responsible civilian 'frontline' policing) and, in all likelihood, an influx of cases of undiagnosed PTSD in the months and years after a period of US military-involved conflict draws to a close.

Nah. U.S. veterans are far better educated, and traveled, than the average civilian. Also more likely to be reasonable.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Warbadger posted:

Yeah, as much as the Russian government is awful I'm not really thrilled about a bunch of Russian musicians dying.

They were propagandists for terrorism. The reporters traveling with them were the same as ISIS embedded reporters.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Warbadger posted:

Formally, they were also a part of Russian army and they played part in defending Russian invaders etc. I might feel sad for their families, but I don't care much about loss to culture. I am sure Russian propaganda machine can always find someone else to sing about 'polite people' (Crimea invaders) and I would rather not imagine what kind of twist would have 'liberation of Aleppo' in their interpretation (I guess they prepared something for that occassion).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/IndyUSA/status/814085984824492032

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I advise Kissinger to finally choke on a sack of dicks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Kissinger isn't satisfied with gifting South Vietnam to North Vietnam. He wants to keep shoveling parts of other countries into the gaping maw of evil, it seems.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Okay I think he's finally crossed the line now!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Libluini posted:

Apparently Kissinger isn't satisfied with gifting South Vietnam to North Vietnam.
That is for sure the worst thing he ever did.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That is for sure the worst thing he ever did.

And coincidentally, the only thing I remember about him! :v:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I didn't really think anyone was psychotic enough to find the mass death of a choir enjoyable, but I guess I can always count on D&D... :/

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Kissinger is the man who would deal with the devil and come out ahead. Say what you want about him, the blood on his hands, and all the people he made suffer: it was never his people.

(His people are republicans)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I didn't really think anyone was psychotic enough to find the mass death of a choir enjoyable, but I guess I can always count on D&D... :/

:lol: Enjoyable? No. Hell, it was the best thing the red army has done post them killing a bunch of crazy nazis an age ago. Losing them isn't enjoyable for anyone I'm sure.

I'm, however, not going to cry over a part of a fascist regime's propaganda machine crashing and drowning. How much entertainment I get from its youtube channel doesn't really change what it really is.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Russian hackers attacked the OSCE network.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/814204937542520832

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The concrete in that bridge has been hacked!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

What's the chance the attack involved the Russians OSCE employs as "impartial observers" giving them all the passwords?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Truga posted:

I'm, however, not going to cry over a part of a fascist regime's propaganda machine crashing and drowning.

I wasn't aware that the Red Army Choir were also the RT/Sputnik staff and the Olgino trolls. Man those Russians sure are efficient at multitasking!

No, a bunch of singers and musicians are not a propaganda machine. They're a source of prestige for the country, sure, but they don't broadcast any sort of message (other than "Russia has a great band"). Trying to find some stupid way to make this tragic accident a victory for the free world is just tasteless.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

No, a bunch of singers and musicians are not a propaganda machine. They're a source of prestige for the country, sure, but they don't broadcast any sort of message (other than "Russia has a great band").

Eh, that's not quite true. The ensemble was always part of the Soviet propaganda machinery. Not a very sinister part, but still obvious propaganda, much more obvious than other forms of culture and sports that are also widely used for propaganda purposes.

After the fall of Soviet Union it came to be seen so kitschy that Helmut Lotti could safely perform the same Stalinist songs, but imagine if Bundeswehr had its own choir and dance group performing Horst Wessel Lied and other beloved classics...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Were they also at one of those Crimea celebrations? If so, gently caress'em too.

E:

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, might as well shoot all the Soviet / Russian filmmakers, actors, musicians, singers... because they make the life in Russia less miserable, and thus contribute to the survival of its corrupt regime by placating the populace, and are part of national propaganda.

Or at least hang all those ballet dancers who were pretty much bred to raise Russia's prestige abroad.
Not necessarily all of them, just those that publicly defend lovely policies to get ahead.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 29, 2016