Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sometimes I forget that Chill la Chill has my favorite TG goods but then he posts poo poo like that and I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I actually wish there was a good Xtreme speed painting guide out there. I think the answer is like prime/basecoat with models primary colour, paint metal, skin tone and one other color, dip, matte varnish but definitely open to ideas.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I actually wish there was a good Xtreme speed painting guide out there. I think the answer is like prime/basecoat with models primary colour, paint metal, skin tone and one other color, dip, matte varnish but definitely open to ideas.

Nah that's actually the go-to for speed painting a whole batch of models. Prime, basecoat, block out colors, then wash/dip.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Wood stainer? :stare:

Those results look pretty great, but my experience with stains and woodworking make my cautious. That stuff can be pretty drat thick and stick depending on the type. I do work with stains constaining polyurethane (protective sealant) so that may be why.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You have to flick the hell out of stained models.

signalnoise posted:

Sometimes I forget that Chill la Chill has my favorite TG goods but then he posts poo poo like that and I remember

:smoobles:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

You have to flick the hell out of stained models.

Or, as some industrious people like to do: stick the model on the end of a drill bit, put in a hole in a box, and make it spin for a few seconds. Makes it dry quicker and prevents the stain from pooling.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

Or, as some industrious people like to do: stick the model on the end of a drill bit, put in a hole in a box, and make it spin for a few seconds. Makes it dry quicker and prevents the stain from pooling.

How are the results vs brushing on stain? What I've been doing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

How are the results vs brushing on stain? What I've been doing.

It won't pool, for one, so if that's an issue then consider doing what I mentioned. Spinning it also flicks off a lot of the extra so the stain comes out a little lighter. Really, the drill trick is just a faster form of flicking, so if you do a lot of that then the results will be roughly similar.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

For some reason that just sounds absolutely hilarious to me. :D I mean I get it works but something about it just makes me laugh amusedly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cooked Auto posted:

For some reason that just sounds absolutely hilarious to me. :D I mean I get it works but something about it just makes me laugh amusedly.

It's because lots of things can go in a hole in a box. And spin.

e:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

It's because lots of things can go in a hole in a box. And spin.

e:

Well done. :rimshot:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I dipped for a good long while, mainly because I had a month of unemployment, and I swore to myself to keep me busy, I would have an army painted by the time work started up again.

The key, IMO, is to make a color combo that really takes well to the stain. For my Protectorate of Menoth, I primed white, slapped some wine red color on the cloaks, black on the Menofixes, gold and silver in metal parts. Bone on the stone tile, with wine red on some tiles to vary it up. I applied the dip via blister foam. Dull cote on the shebang after. It worked pretty well, and my army isn't going to win awards (except for the time it did, but that's another story,) but it's DONE, and only take minimal effort to upkeep.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah a big advantage of the mini wax method to date has been that combined with bones figures they've survived very rough handling without chipping (rough enough to break some off the bases they'd been superglued too)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Chill la Chill posted:

See this whole rant is cool and good and filled with good advice. But wrt this portion: OTOH you can just say gently caress it and have all sorts of colors to make the eyes bleed.

These are my latest ships on my custom X wing mat.

Ok, but like, the dude who does JoJo actually proves my point. Just because something is garish doesn't mean it can't have on point color theory behind it. He does most things as a variation on Purple/Orange/Purple/Aqua/Neon Green which like the most garish color scheme imaginable, but they compliment each other really really well. And at least in a lot of the colorized stuff he keeps his colors to extreme minimums, stuff like how Stardust Crusaders era JoJo's clothing and hair is basically the same color.

Slimnoid posted:

Nah that's actually the go-to for speed painting a whole batch of models. Prime, basecoat, block out colors, then wash/dip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzmEtuufTw

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I should probably try making my humanoid models look like Jojos since the drab earthy tones I've been trying are incredibly boring.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Dipping is a mug's game. There are better products to achieve better results without the mess or risk of wanking about with dips and woodstains.

Citadel shades, Vallejo washes etc.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Dipping is a mug's game. There are better products to achieve better results without the mess or risk of wanking about with dips and woodstains.

To be fair, if you're looking to make wood look like wood/earth tones (i.e those dwarves) it makes sense to go with wood stain.

Just, that mess....it really sucks getting a little transfered to your hands through a rag, let alone holding and flicking a model.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I finished the squad. There are plenty of mistakes but I'm satisfied and moving on to the next project. Each one I do, the line highlights get better as I learn to be more consistent with my paint and brushing.

I took this photo at night with my phone. Sorry if it's lovely.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

goons posted:

flicking :gonk:
Who the gently caress dips minis in this day and age? Just use a big soft brush and blob it on, then come back and pull off any forming pools with the same brush. Same effect, not that much effort, no stained floors walls and ceilings.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Four more vikings and a wraith from the oath thread. I still have to live with the green rims, but I think the flowers helps separate the base from model.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I've just bought 3 bottles of Vallejo Surface primer, U.K. Bronze Grey, U.S. Olive Drab and Ger. Dark Yellow. I've been told before that these aren't "real" primers, but they say the exact same as my white and black Vallejo Surface primer.

Have i been misled? because i'd love to skip the step of priming black!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Frobbe posted:

I've just bought 3 bottles of Vallejo Surface primer, U.K. Bronze Grey, U.S. Olive Drab and Ger. Dark Yellow. I've been told before that these aren't "real" primers, but they say the exact same as my white and black Vallejo Surface primer.

Check the label to see if it contains the word "polyurethane". If it does, then it's actual primer that you can use instead of the black primer.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

signalnoise posted:

Check the label to see if it contains the word "polyurethane". If it does, then it's actual primer that you can use instead of the black primer.

That's indeed what it says! guess i've got no excuse to not prime the poo poo out of all my FoW tanks now.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Frobbe posted:

When people say it isn't real primer they mean it's not an etching primer that eats into the substrate like automotive primers do. It will work just fine for minis.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

When people say it isn't real primer they mean it's not an etching primer that eats into the substrate like automotive primers do. It will work just fine for minis.
No, Vallejo also has actual paints called Primer that aren't primers, just matched to their color or something.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There are vmc colours with primer in the name, but the actual primer branded ones do come in colours

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Pierzak posted:

No, Vallejo also has actual paints called Primer that aren't primers, just matched to their color or something.

Specifically, they are regular paints meant to match the colors of primers used on historical vehicles.

e: Although I don't see any paints named "primer" that aren't primers.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 28, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Who the gently caress dips minis in this day and age? Just use a big soft brush and blob it on, then come back and pull off any forming pools with the same brush. Same effect, not that much effort, no stained floors walls and ceilings.

Yep. I came to post that exact thing. It's not like you absolutely soak the model in stain - you just brush it on, like you would with any other ink or wash, and soak up the excess a minute later. You're done. It's not difficult and the effect is fine for a tabletop quality army or horde. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMOTmOchKyQ

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's not like you absolutely soak the model
holy poo poo i left the stripping jar on, brb

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Don't use too many colors:
I don't care if it's not realistic for all of your figures leather gear to be the same color, limited color choice reduces the amount of business your figure will have and how busy your figure can be is directly related to how good of a painter your are and if you're taking my advice you aren't there yet. But seriously, limit your colors, and make sure they go together, color wheels are your friend (but you can totally shade blue and green with dark brown, that's a thing!).

This is all excellent advice, and a very helpful post.
Counterpoint: You could also be like me and just go nuts with the eye-searing because "gently caress it, it's Chaos"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Don't let a limited palette keep you from experimenting though; you can do some awesome stuff with uncommon highlights, and a nice purple + green accenting can make rust patches pop really nice.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Don't highlight bubblegum purple with ryza rust, they said. I'LL SHOW THEM

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is actually not true, they are all very different products with extremely different attributes. Because of the way dips work with surface tension they are extremely hard to gently caress up in the way that inks and washes are. Low surface tension inks (IE "magic" ink/wash) are also in a similar state. Knowing exactly how much paint to use and how to spread it is extremely important for using washes, especially the citadel ones, because the large amount of matte medium and varnish in the wash can make a surface look extremely dirty if you over do it. Matte washes and matte ink (like vallejo ink, not like hand made ink or old school GW ink) also have a tendency to spread small amounts of pigment clumps across a surface if you don't know how to think them or if you don't have stellar brush control. Using a poly based stain or a product like army painter (which is way too expensive, but for it's faults is a poly based stain that color matches devlan mud which is not a commercially available product at home depot) will produce results with a more consistent distribution and blend between your high points and low points. Citadel washes are really great, but they honestly need decent brush control for good results and the difference between slopping on agrax and slopping on minwax (followed by a matte varnish) is pretty extreme. For basic utility painting I exclude anything that is predicated on decent brush control, paint thinning and the ability to figure out how to place shadows.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

General Olloth posted:

I finished the squad. There are plenty of mistakes but I'm satisfied and moving on to the next project. Each one I do, the line highlights get better as I learn to be more consistent with my paint and brushing.

I took this photo at night with my phone. Sorry if it's lovely.

Just wanted to take a minute to compliment these deathmarks. Nice robuts! The only issue I have is that the color scheme on the base itself is a little too similar to the guys for my taste, but the spotty crackle paint is a nice touch.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If you're using washes as a cheat mode, then I highly, highly recommend Nuln and Agrax Gloss variations.

In 1 step it's almost like you've glossed to seal the model, added liquitex or flow improver, and it's the perfect consistency.

Doesn't stain open surfaces, runs into crevasses, works absolutely beautifully.

Then airbrush some vallejo matt varnish over it, ta-da.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GC7gVFCsN0&t=786s

/\ apologies if you can't stand his voice, but it's an excellent example of what the gloss washes can do.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 29, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Here's some pictures.

I've been working on both a Drider and a Space Marine.

I kinda gave out on the torso for the drider since I need to work more on shading skin, and figure out what the gently caress to do with faces. The space marine could use a little bit more cleanup on his detail.
I'm especially happy with the how the spider abdomen came out with the wash and edge highlight.

Here's the drider next to a human(?) spider cleric, which is the second model I tried to paint. I also need to clean it up some and figure out how some base detail, and also figure out how I want to base my Blood angels, which will probably just be some grass flock.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Avenging Dentist posted:

Specifically, they are regular paints meant to match the colors of primers used on historical vehicles.

e: Although I don't see any paints named "primer" that aren't primers.

I believe they've changed the names of most of them to avoid that sort of confusion. Grey Primer has been renamed to Base Grey, for example. Track Primer remains as an example, however.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Just wanted to take a minute to compliment these deathmarks. Nice robuts! The only issue I have is that the color scheme on the base itself is a little too similar to the guys for my taste, but the spotty crackle paint is a nice touch.

Thanks man! I intentionally chose my bases to be 'busier' than most people would. I see a lot of really badass painted guys standing on black/grey drybrushed rubble or bright sunny grass fields or plain dirt and it puts me off. I thought to myself, I want these guys standing on a tomb world that is cracking apart with necron energy and pools of green and crystals. I know some people like 'less is more' for the bases but I'm all about the 'more is more, this is 40k damnit' (I see you are too, nice chaos man)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That's usually so the bases can blend in with more tables, but you are right that it's pretty dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I think making your bases a bit 3D really helps (e.g static grass or shell casings or moss or whatever)