Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I haven't seen all of them but I got the impression that half genie hero's Bosses don't change their patterns all too much, which made them look a bit boring to fight. Maybe it gets better later.

Cool boss fights are my favorite part of platformer games, with the 3ds Kirby games having the best ones in the last years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Blackheart posted:

I haven't seen all of them but I got the impression that half genie hero's Bosses don't change their patterns all too much, which made them look a bit boring to fight. Maybe it gets better later.

Cool boss fights are my favorite part of platformer games, with the 3ds Kirby games having the best ones in the last years.

I don't want to bust your bubble or anything but honestly the boss fights were the biggest let down to me, though there are a couple of pretty fun ones near the end of the game.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Environmental Station Alpha also has a lot of sequence breaks if you like doing self imposed challenge runs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are people out there that simply aren't interested in or impressed by pixel art, no matter how good it is.

I know a guy whose pixel-art game was made available for free via Xbox Gold who got swamped with abuse because Xbox kiddies felt like they got shafted by being given such a "cheap' game and how it was making the XB1 look bad next to whatever game was on PS+ at the time, you wouldn't believe how angry some people get about that poo poo.

lmao well gently caress those guys

how can people be weird graphics snob in an age where Minecraft is one of the hottest titles

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There are people out there that simply aren't interested in or impressed by pixel art, no matter how good it is.

I know a guy whose pixel-art game was made available for free via Xbox Gold who got swamped with abuse because Xbox kiddies felt like they got shafted by being given such a "cheap' game and how it was making the XB1 look bad next to whatever game was on PS+ at the time, you wouldn't believe how angry some people get about that poo poo.

Which game? Pixel art ranges from trash to good like basically everything else but I can't imagine it looking different enough to piss everyone off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm assuming that the game is #IDARB because yeeesh.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly I've noticed a bizzare hatred of 2D games in general on newer consoles, I looked up a trailer for this sort of low rent Vanillaware looking game on PS4 and it had a ton of dislikes and the comments were flooded with people enraged with"I DONT BUY PS4 FOR 2D GAME!!! THIS BELONG ON PS1!!!" style comments.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends what you mean by 'pixel art', done well it's great but '8-bit retro art' is a bullet point of like 90% of indie trash and the biggest thing likely to turn me away from something. The second biggest thing is self describing it as a 'metroidvania'.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Depends what you mean by 'pixel art', done well it's great but '8-bit retro art' is a bullet point of like 90% of indie trash and the biggest thing likely to turn me away from something. The second biggest thing is self describing it as a 'metroidvania'.

The only thing that really scratched the metroidvania itch for me recently was the metroid 2 remake

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

The only thing that really scratched the metroidvania itch for me recently was the metroid 2 remake

Rabi-Ribi is also pretty great, going as far as having two alternate gameplay modes (Bosses scale with story progression/bosses scale with item collection) and having constant content updates which might end up making the postgame larger than the main game, which is already huge.

Never mind having more intentional sequence breaks than Zero Mission.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Metroidvania is to the indie scene what open world is to AAA titles, for me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Retro City Rampage is the best of both worlds, indie version of an open world GTA game.

I've been digging Portrait of Ruin by the way, that first boss took me a bunch of tries. Cool music too.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Stink Terios posted:

Rabi-Ribi is also pretty great, going as far as having two alternate gameplay modes (Bosses scale with story progression/bosses scale with item collection) and having constant content updates which might end up making the postgame larger than the main game, which is already huge.

Is it as good as Bunny Must Die? Might grab it during the steam sale if so.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Retro City Rampage is the best of both worlds, indie version of an open world GTA game.

I've been digging Portrait of Ruin by the way, that first boss took me a bunch of tries. Cool music too.

It's definitely not what I'd consider the best but I think PoR might be my favorite SoTN-style Castlevania just for what it tries to do. The two-character play is a lot of fun, even if they don't execute it the best, and I love how they went whole hog with the anime in a lot of places (also going for a less incredibly generic anime art style than DoS did).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

Y-you're gonna have to sell this a little harder...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Stink Terios posted:

It's my favorite metroidvania this year and I liked am2r a lot. Playing on higher difficulties has given me a real appreciation for how well it's designed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Looper posted:

Y-you're gonna have to sell this a little harder...

It has cute anime girls.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Is it as good as Bunny Must Die? Might grab it during the steam sale if so.

I'd say better, if you don't hate bullet hell bosses.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Are the controls OK because the ones in bunny must die kind of almost ruin the game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The developer has done a ton of work on it since it came out. I think he's supposed to be porting it to ps4 and vita but instead he seems bent on adding new features and bosses to a game that was good and complete when it came out and already has boss rushes that clock in at well over an hour. He put up a beta patch with local coop just yesterday, and he's teasing more additions for next year.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'd say better, if you don't hate bullet hell bosses.

They weren't my favorite part of BMD but what the heck, 12 bucks.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Genocyber posted:

It's definitely not what I'd consider the best but I think PoR might be my favorite SoTN-style Castlevania just for what it tries to do. The two-character play is a lot of fun, even if they don't execute it the best, and I love how they went whole hog with the anime in a lot of places (also going for a less incredibly generic anime art style than DoS did).

I was thrilled with the game right after beating it, but in retrospect I think it's one of my least favorites. It's no Harmony of Dissonance, and I liked it more than Dawn of Sorrows back in the day, but man. Stiff competition between Aria, Ecclesia, and CotM.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I didn't like PoR when it first came out, but I think I was just a little burned out on CV at that point. I went back to it last year, and really enjoyed it for what it was. The two-character gimmick is fun, and there are some neat maps in there.

Really needed another six months or so of dev time, though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MarsDragon posted:

Really needed another six months or so of dev time, though.

This applies to pretty much every Castlevania.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know, the old-school Castlevanias are pretty much perfect for what they are. Every game after CotM definitely could have used some more polish, though.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Are the controls OK because the ones in bunny must die kind of almost ruin the game

The controls are very normal compared to BMD.

Also seconding this being way better than AM2R.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It controls in a normal way but I think it's a good idea to rebind the shoot button to somewhere that's easy to hold, like a gamepad's shoulder button, so that you can charge shots while you're hitting things with your hammer.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hopefully Ghost Song will be good if it ever comes out :argh:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

lets hang out posted:

It controls in a normal way but I think it's a good idea to rebind the shoot button to somewhere that's easy to hold, like a gamepad's shoulder button, so that you can charge shots while you're hitting things with your hammer.

But those are already the default controls :v:

In addition to the face buttons, LT is shoot and RT is hammer.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This applies to pretty much every Castlevania.

Symphony of the Night is really the only one that got its full development time, because IGA was given more-or-less free reign for that game after how much money Tokimeki Memorial made Konami. It was something like 3 years of development time, most of which was by only 10 or so people - it still needed crunch time and brought on something like 50 other people to finish it in its last few months.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm still impressed by the sheer amount of weird, secret, and completely unnecessary stuff that made its way into Symphony of the Night. All of the spells and familiars, secret attacks with certain weapons (some of which are the basis for an entire playstyle), a hilariously large number of food items, the confession booth... I never even held the clunkiness of some of the inverted castle against the game as the whole thing felt like a huge bonus area after the game should have ended.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's just a drat shame that the game is so easy.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, that's my only major criticism of the game and the main reason I don't regard it as the pinnacle of the series.

Castlevania IV is a perfect game, and I will silently frown at you if you disagree.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tallgeese posted:

It's just a drat shame that the game is so easy.

Not really. The game was meant to be enjoyable to play for everyone. Not all games are made to be hard.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked Super Castlevania IV but I kind of agree with that one obnoxious guy's video that the multi-directional whipping made the game feel a little too easy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As someone who considers other traditional style Castlevania games a bit too hard 4 was perfect for me.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Dracula X Chronicles is the best game in Castlevania history.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

alcharagia posted:

Dracula X Chronicles is the best game in Castlevania history.
It's a shame that game never left the PSP because it was really loving good IMO. I go back and forth on whether or not I prefer it to Rondo of Blood.

Both are worth playing at any rate.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raxivace posted:

It's a shame that game never left the PSP because it was really loving good IMO. I go back and forth on whether or not I prefer it to Rondo of Blood.

Both are worth playing at any rate.

You can get it on Vita via PSN, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can get it on Vita via PSN, too.

Don't trigger US peeps by telling them that, only the EU version works on Vita for some reason.