Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I want to meet the person who, not knowing who Carol Danvers was, because this was a chance to build her fanbase, and left the book going "She's so cool"

I'm not even shocked that the citizens of Marvel think she's cool. Marvel citizens are loving assholes! Back during JLA/Avengers, the entire reason Captain America (Under the influence but shut up) assumed that the DC heroes were tyrants was that the DC citizens actually liked there heroes! Even with influence, how loving awful do your citizens have to be that you assume that them liking heroes mean the heroes are tyrants?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is there something in the coffee maker at Marvel because AFAIK every time they try to have a grey vs grey situation not only do they cock it up completely but they also end up claiming the completely wrong side were the better ones.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
And somehow it's always the Inhumans.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I prefer to just blame Bendis.

Source: Illuminating Comics

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Also I'm really looking forward to the comic's world continued portrayal of the President-figure with it's characteristicly vague grace and grandure after you guys decided to elect Trump.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nilbop posted:

Also I'm really looking forward to the comic's world continued portrayal of the President-figure with it's characteristicly vague grace and grandure after you guys decided to elect Trump.

The Invisible Empire will return and Trump will be it's new leader. Or maybe we'll just have OML go all Black Summer on the President.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nilbop posted:

Hey we had a solid 8 years of "Not-Obama" "Not-Obama with lady parts" in a vague protagonist position.

Get ready for at least 4 years of the president being evil again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Glad to see that Civil War II continues the grand tradition of conflicts that could have been avoided if people had talked to each other for like, three minutes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, at least we only have to wait 10 years for Marvel Studios to make CWII good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, at least we only have to wait 10 years for Marvel Studios to make CWII good.

We already have CWII's film adaptation. It was called Minority Report.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

:goonsay: Minority Report happens only when there are multiple predictors and the existence of a prediction affects the following prediction.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ImpAtom posted:

That's the thing, too. It's the least interesting possible take on predictive justice. Just, 'sees the future, but sometimes doesn't.' If you're going to have Tony end up essentially agreeing with Carol anyway, why not do something new and have Ulysses be right 100 percent of the time?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Hulk #1 was okay, mostly just set up but could be interesting. It will be a bit odd having She-Hulk being the angsty one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Carol got chided by Beast, therefore Carol was totally right. That's the rule.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Marvel: "Racism is good if the good guys are the ones doing it."

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Well poo poo! Guess I'm siding with Carol now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IUG posted:

Marvel: "Racism is good if the good guys are the ones doing it."

Even with the most generous interpretation, Bendis hosed up there. I think he's trying to say that the concept is the bad thing, but that Carol was about as good a person as you'd get using that. Basically, she's Batman in The Dark Knight, except she didn't give the friendly smart black man the self-destruct button and in fact went apeshit when he decided to defend civil liberty. (In this analogy, Morgan Freeman is Black Panther)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 28, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

gently caress that's right. We have two conflicting Marvel corollary's

1. The group that inevitably wins a hero vs hero struggle is the one that's wrong and dumb
2. Beast is always wrong and a loser.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a trick, they had beast say that to make people take carol's side

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hulk #1 was pretty great.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

So wait, the moral of BOTH Civil Wars is "If Marvel is antagonizing someone, they're clearly right"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The man called M posted:

So wait, the moral of BOTH Civil Wars is "If Marvel is antagonizing someone, they're clearly right"?

Yup.

And "if you're black you're dead."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Yup.

And "if you're black you're dead."

TBF that second one is the moral of all genre fiction ever.

And non-genre nonfiction, also.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I really liked Hulk #1, though hopefully Patsy will show up in more than just text message form in future issues. Jen's client reminds me of someone/thing, can't place what though.

As for Doom, I'm liking it but slightly struggling to get why it took Secret Wars for Victor to finally get over himself. Didn't he already come to this conclusion in the Future Foundation when he ended up with an Infinity Gauntlet in a universe of his own and decided it wasn't for him? Perhaps I'm not recalling it correctly.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

As for Doom, I'm liking it but slightly struggling to get why it took Secret Wars for Victor to finally get over himself. Didn't he already come to this conclusion in the Future Foundation when he ended up with an Infinity Gauntlet in a universe of his own and decided it wasn't for him? Perhaps I'm not recalling it correctly.

There's never a bad time to reread hickmans FF run.

God Doom loves all men but one. That's why he couldn't repair his own face. His self loathing is why the universe he crafted in his image rejected him. Reed won once and for all, fixed Doom's face which he has blamed Reed for ruining since the accident, and Doom finally let go.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 28, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like infamous iron man a lot so far. gonna be sad when he inevitably goes back to being evil

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

There's never a bad time to reread hickmans FF run.

God Doom loves all men but one. That's why he couldn't repair his own face. His self loathing is why the universe he crafted in his image rejected him. Reed won once and for all, fixed Doom's face which he has blamed Reed for ruining since the accident, and Doom finally let go.

So Doom loved all the Marvel Zombies more than Reed Richards?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

So Doom loved all the Marvel Zombies more than Reed Richards?

Reed Richards wasn't in suspended animation no one knew about (except the readers)

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I for one welcome Carol to the Kitty Pride/ Beast tier of characters who are literally The Worst.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
All I want for Christmas is for Marvel to stop doing event comics for two years.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I dunno why y'all complaini g about CWII, it was really good. I mean, there was an Esaad Ribic page of Re-Worthy Thor vs NecroSword Loki and 32 filler pages to make sure it doesn't get wrinkled, thats as good as a Bendis event gets.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I'll give CW2 one thing. It gave the Nova writers an excuse to finally put The Captain in something after Nextwave.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hold the gently caress up. So not only was Civil War II pointless, Ulysses basically goes and Poochie's himself with a "I have to go now, my planet needs me." after.... 7 PAGES OF ADS FOR FUTURE EVENTS. Marvel, Marvel. We need a talk, this is an intervention. I can't possibly care about these 7 events you have. You spent 7 pages in your final issue of your big 8 issue spanning event which derailed the entire loving line, to ADVERTISE FOR MORE EVENTS.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Marvel is confusing as gently caress. I'll just stick with Nova/Steve Rogers/Avengers/Amazing Spidey.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pubic works project posted:

Marvel is confusing as gently caress. I'll just stick with Nova/Steve Rogers/Avengers/Amazing Spidey.

What is confusing? Read Thor. All will be made clear with mead and hammers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It says something that I care more about the whole Eternity being chained thing than about CW2 or any other event they're hyping, and that's entirely confined to Al Ewing comics. (And only obliquely referred to in one).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Can we just let Ewing take over cosmic marvel now that Bendis is leaving GotG?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hope and vaseline posted:

Can we just let Ewing take over marvel now that Bendis is leaving GotG?

Tweaked that for you.

And yes please.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

now that I think about it, the final issue of civil war contradicts the last issue of spider-man since nova and ms marvel didn't find miles in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If an effort to not be completely down on CW2, I really like the take Marquez has on drawing Carol. :shobon:

And speaking of art I dug this week, the action sequences in Black Widow were fantastic.

• Locked thread