Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Lynx (Axe's name in some countries) was super popular at my high school, so whenever I smell it all I can think of is a boys PE class. That's not attractive.

I associate it with poor attempts to cover up weed smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

That couldn't have been worse if they had planned it. Perfection

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

man, I remember a version (probably a tumblr post that was circulating) but it was a cola can and I remembered being annoyed because it was an english speaking foreign going to france. like no wonder people hate tourists.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Unlilever doesn’t care if you find it attractive.

They use the idea of twenty‐somethings wearing it to sell it to middle‐schoolers.

Unilever knows that twenty‐somethings don’t actually buy it, but their middle‐school customers do not.

I was shopping in some lovely Appalachian supermarket and noticed all the Axe body spray was locked down in the aisles. I think you had to bring a card up to the register and have them get it for you like it was some kind of easily stolen electronic item.

So the desire to own Axe was so great in that community that they had to lock it down from shoplifters. Whatever horrible things Axe is, it's got some drat good marketing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Eh, you see that sort of thing often. In poor/black areas, you'll see anything that has drug or trade value (that is small and easy to conceal) locked down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fun fact: Johnny Depp apparently smells awful because he doesn't shower. I imagine his cologne is used to cover up the stench.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Lynx (Axe's name in some countries) was super popular at my high school, so whenever I smell it all I can think of is a boys PE class. That's not attractive.

All I think about when I see Lynx is that kid who died from using too much. Not the best marketing move.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

That70sHeidi posted:

Doesn't he also take off all his lovely costume jewelry and bury it in a hole?

YES. I spent a night on an airport last year and could barely get any sleep. Dior ads (that one and another with a woman protagonist) played the whole time on a giant display in front of me. I must have seen him throw that jewelry a hundred times.

BTW when high-end brands such as Dior promote new collections to journalists and marketing people they can be above showing the product. You get a plane ticket and stay at a fancy hotel and have a great dinner and whatever, a performance or exhibition of some kind, and at the end the creator/designer drops by to say hi and that's it. The idea is to impress. Everything you need to know about the product you'll get in the press kit.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

All I think about when I see Lynx is that kid who died from using too much. Not the best marketing move.

Wow, you'd think the first time he collapsed would have been enough, but then the idiot did it again 3 weeks later and died.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Fun fact: Johnny Depp apparently smells awful because he doesn't shower. I imagine his cologne is used to cover up the stench.

He's not the only celeb. I don't know if it's a case of "I'm so hot even my b.o is good" or more of a "maybe people will leave me alone if I smell bad"

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Ride The Gravitron posted:

He's not the only celeb. I don't know if it's a case of "I'm so hot even my b.o is good" or more of a "maybe people will leave me alone if I smell bad"

Knowing L.A dwellers, it's either "all natural stench will purify my insides and cure my cancer" or "Big Soap is undermining the freedom of the American people, in collaboration with the Jewish Illuminati."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Most "stars" end up insane.

Some low key insane, others more ....exposed.

Jim carrey is anti vaxxer
Will Smith is,....well, have you seen his kid?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ride The Gravitron posted:

When you're rich and famous you can very easily surround yourself with yes men who will verify whatever awful thing you want to believe. I'm going to guess that's the major cause of it. You know, fawning sycophants who will just tell you that you smell so good when you don't shower for three weeks.

Granted some people are just naturally slovenly so it could also be that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's not like Depp has ever exactly been... mentally sound to begin with.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I found that link from a list of "stars with awful hygiene". It includes people like Robert Pattinson, Gwenyth Paltrow, Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, Russell Crowe, and Matthew McConaughey. Apparently it's not insanity as much as it is plain laziness on their part; being famous doesn't suddenly make you more liable to take a shower. Robert Pattinson, in particular, stunk like rear end during Twilight because he didn't give a poo poo about his hair or his apartment (he even said that his apartment is just for sleeping in and he didn't bother cleaning up) and just did whatever. Though I think Gwenyth also had one of her nutty neo-hippie concepts behind it.

It's probably not sycophants because we usually know about this from things other people have told the media and even the stars' own admittances in interviews. They really are just lazy bastards.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/12/27/cinnabon-tweets-deletes-carrie-fisher-tweet-after-backlash/95893594/

quote:

On Tuesday night, the baked goods company apologized for a tweet it sent in the wake of news that Star Wars icon Carrie Fisher had died. "Our deleted tweet was genuinely meant as a tribute, but we shouldn't have posted it. We are truly sorry," the brand said.

Our deleted tweet was genuinely meant as a tribute, but we shouldn't have posted it. We are truly sorry.
— Cinnabon (@Cinnabon) December 28, 2016

That deleted tweet? It was a post with cinnamon-inspired Princess Leia, with a Cinnabon roll as hair. The caption: "RIP Carrie Fisher, you’ll always have the best buns in the galaxy."

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I feel like Carrie Fisher would have liked that tweet.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
She would've loved it

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
At least RPatz was open about not showering in an attempt to keep teenage fangirls away. Also his open contempt for the entire Twilight series made him pretty ok by me.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

chitoryu12 posted:

I found that link from a list of "stars with awful hygiene". It includes people like Robert Pattinson, Gwenyth Paltrow, Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, Russell Crowe, and Matthew McConaughey. Apparently it's not insanity as much as it is plain laziness on their part; being famous doesn't suddenly make you more liable to take a shower. Robert Pattinson, in particular, stunk like rear end during Twilight because he didn't give a poo poo about his hair or his apartment (he even said that his apartment is just for sleeping in and he didn't bother cleaning up) and just did whatever. Though I think Gwenyth also had one of her nutty neo-hippie concepts behind it.

It's probably not sycophants because we usually know about this from things other people have told the media and even the stars' own admittances in interviews. They really are just lazy bastards.

Add Brad Pitt to the list. I bet when he and Paltrow were together the odor was divine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but how many of them hawk scents? Robin Williams smelled like rear end too, he didn't have a fragrance called Carpe Odore.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
there's no way that cinnabun tweet is way worse than the spaghetti pearl harbor tweet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Will Smith is,....well, have you seen his kid?

This is why I'm really happy for Mara Wilson. She did some hokey but well remembered movies like "A Simple Wish" and "Matilda" (The latter of which I enjoyed), then stopped when it stopped being fun. She started finding weird creepy stuff while googling her name, like one that she mentioned in a column she wrote was photos of herself on a child foot fetish website, but she has since taken her own image back online, no longer letting strangers make it weird. Since then she has grown into a fairly well adjusted woman who's had a few cameos with the Channel Awesome crew (including a rather cute Nostalgic Food special where she ate old candies with Nella and Lindsey) and written at least one column about being a child actor for Cracked. Both websites with poor reputations around here I know, but I like that she's taken the internet 'back' so to speak and carved her own niche in her own time.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Her book is also really good.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Johnny Aztec posted:

I thought he stopped after he divorced Jenny?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Even if he did the consequences of his actions will continue onward for a long time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

He had a Twitter meltdown pretty recently when California changed vaccine laws to close some loopholes crazy people were using to not vaccinate their children. Last year I think.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He had a Twitter meltdown pretty recently when California changed vaccine laws to close some loopholes crazy people were using to not vaccinate their children. Last year I think.

Not to mention he (EDIT: allegedly) deliberately infected a sexual partner with VD.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Dec 31, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I think the phenomenon of celebrities giving their children really loving stupid names must be partly due to crazy and partly because of yes men, so the end result is a new father with nobody willing to tell him that naming his bundle of joy Aristophanes Mountain Goat is a bad idea.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think the phenomenon of celebrities giving their children really loving stupid names must be partly due to crazy and partly because of yes men, so the end result is a new father with nobody willing to tell him that naming his bundle of joy Aristophanes Mountain Goat is a bad idea.

Nothing wrong with that name if you ask me :colbert:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

drat, I thought he had an ounce of sense.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

drat, I thought he had an ounce of sense.

He's always been a crazy person. He believes in positive thinking and that like attracts like bullshit. He believes that the reason he got famous was that he wrote himself a check for millions of dollars when he was like 20.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He's always been a crazy person. He believes in positive thinking and that like attracts like bullshit. He believes that the reason he got famous was that he wrote himself a check for millions of dollars when he was like 20.

He believes that the number 23 is following him

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Capntastic posted:

He believes that the number 23 is following him

TBH that was a pretty terrible movie, it would haunt me as well.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Not to mention he deliberately infected a sexual partner with VD.

Wait, what?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

[citation needed]

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Are you mistaking Jim Carrey with Charlie Sheen?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He believes in positive thinking and that like attracts like bullshit.

Ah yes, known mental weakness "positive thinking", that crazy celebrity!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Regrettable posted:

[citation needed]

Ask and ye shalt receive. (Admittedly, I have to add "allegedly", as the case is still open.)

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...da2ca593d3c0901

http://pagesix.com/2016/10/11/jim-carreys-exs-family-files-wrongful-death-suit-against-the-actor/

http://www.unilad.co.uk/crime/the-results-of-jim-carreys-std-results-have-been-revealed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Noggin Monkey posted:

Ah yes, known mental weakness "positive thinking", that crazy celebrity!

I think by "positive thinking" they mean "magical thinking", like the kind of poo poo espoused by The Secret that tells you if you just think about something you want to happen really hard, it will.