Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FuriousAngle posted:

Hey everyone, got another question (Hopefully it's a quick/easy one):

If I'm making NPCs, does it break them if I give them bonus EXP to spend on attributes? Or is it more balanced to use all bonus EXP to skills and Talent Trees while only using the racial and duty/obligation EXP for attributes? (I've only gotten through the beginner boxes, so forgive me if this is all covered in detail in one of the core ruleboks)

If you're trying to make a scary Big Bad, you can use the Inquisitor creation rules from the F&D core book. These can represent Sith or Dark Jedi, or can be adapted for use in creating non-Force Users, perhaps by substitutiong special weapons or novelty ordnance for force powers.

Otherwise, for Rivals and more minor bosses:

Splicer posted:

Mechanically all a NPC needs is 2 in each stat, a gimmick (weird gun/special movement/piece of equipment/etc), a couple of skills and 3 or 4 dice in the stats that support said gimmick.

After that it's funny voices, tragic backstories, and amusing personality quirks!

And then, for minions, you don't even need to go that far. You can just re-skin the minion statblocks from the back of your book.

Like when I needed Czerka Corp guards, I just took the regular mercenary goon statblock and, since they were slavers, swapped in non-lethal weaponry.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The thing that still eludes me with making 'encounters' is figuring out what constitutes an even challenge for the party. Should I be throwing things at the PCs at a 1:1 skill ratio where for each PC there's a challenge with roughly equivalent dice pools?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Party's gradually taking shape, people are taking a while to get characters created because it's Christmas and everything but they've mostly narrowed down character concepts. So far we'll have:

- A non-Force-Sensitive person born in a hidden enclave of force sensitives. They're fighting for the rebellion ostensibly to protect their home, but actually mostly because they're nursing a huge chip on their shoulder about being a 'failure' (no force sensitivity), and the Rebellion gives them an opportunity to take out their anger at the universe by shooting people with their huge gun. (the person who made not-Chirrut ended up deciding to go with this instead)
- A Chiss history professor who fell in with the Rebellion entirely by accident. He was on a research expedition gone bad, and ended up getting rescued by a bunch of Rebels who happened to pass through the system while retreating after a failed raid. Has since ended up in command of the cell by virtue of nobody else in the group having any leadership experience, despite the fact that he knows jack poo poo about military tactics. He's in way over his head, but he's smart and learns fast. Also doesn't actually give a poo poo about the war or the Rebellion's cause (at least not yet), and is only working for the Rebellion because he feels like he owes them for saving his life.
- A heavily-modified droid kitted out for sabotage and demolition, with free will, an eccentric revolutionary-firebrand personality, and absolute ideological commitment to the Rebellion's stated cause of freedom for all sentient life...which this droid takes to mean 'including droids'. They're obsessed with proving the worth of free droids by recruiting as many droids into the rebellion as possible, and are almost certainly going to instigate at least one robot uprising over the course of the campaign. They're the only PC submitted so far who actually believes in the Rebellion; while chatting about character creation, we've also generally agreed that they're secretly seen as a dangerous liability by a bunch of the cell's members.

Plus two other people who haven't submitted character concepts yet, I'm excited to see what they come up with. There'll also be about 10-20 NPCs in the cell at start, who I haven't really started fleshing out yet.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've been out of the SW RPG game for a while, but seeing Rogue One and catching up partially on this thread has rekindled some interest. I GM'd EotE shortly after it came out, I have the core book, GM screen, and 2 sets of dice. I'm curious about the AoR and F&D content, so what's the best bang for your buck at this point? Any amazing adventures worth getting?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The Jewel of Yavin is a drat good heist adventure.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What's a good starting point to reskin for a U Wing if I want my players to tool around in one? I'm thinking Lambda?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

HWK-290 maybe?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Warmachine posted:

The thing that still eludes me with making 'encounters' is figuring out what constitutes an even challenge for the party. Should I be throwing things at the PCs at a 1:1 skill ratio where for each PC there's a challenge with roughly equivalent dice pools?

Okay so never ever ever give your NPCs high stats, you need to consider that for the vast majority of player characters youre going to be needing to roll against 2 purple dice and a black to hit them. Have really high stats just means you have ridiculously high attack rolls leading to never missing and doing shitloads of bonus damage constantly. This sucks and genuinely no fun. Whats way more fun and interesting is to be rolling for triumphs to spend on fun and exciting things.

You want to have a character making an attack roll with 2 green 1 yellow (for weaker parties) to 3 yellows (for stronger parties). Only really go above that if your players have loaded up on soak and you dont want to use a bigger weapon or if they have taken lots of talents to reduce damage (like the parry/deflect lightsaber stuff) or have ways of making checks harder (like dodge) or you are expecting this character to be making attacks at long-extreme range for reasons.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm in the process of GM prep for the first adventure in an upcoming campaign; I've written a little mission briefing/dossier thing with a summary of the adventure I'm planning on running. It's here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15D0BhN32YYmeq6pHV3q_zDOLa5VBPaQ5ja_eVRxorAg/edit?usp=sharing The short summary is 'infiltrate and sabotage a repair and refit facility currently overhauling a Star Destroyer'.

Anyone have any advice on running this mission, or changes they'd make, or interesting twists/snags to throw in? Bear in mind it's a starting party, although they've got a dozen or so Rebel mooks in their cell they could potentially bring along.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Is the Star Destroyer actually docked at the station your party is infiltrating? If so, don't be too attached to your plans because the players will 100% try to steal the Star Destroyer. If it isn't docked there, your players will only 90% try to steal the Star Destroyer.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mister Bates posted:

I'm in the process of GM prep for the first adventure in an upcoming campaign; I've written a little mission briefing/dossier thing with a summary of the adventure I'm planning on running. It's here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15D0BhN32YYmeq6pHV3q_zDOLa5VBPaQ5ja_eVRxorAg/edit?usp=sharing The short summary is 'infiltrate and sabotage a repair and refit facility currently overhauling a Star Destroyer'.

Anyone have any advice on running this mission, or changes they'd make, or interesting twists/snags to throw in? Bear in mind it's a starting party, although they've got a dozen or so Rebel mooks in their cell they could potentially bring along.

The first thing I can think of is the disparity between a site meant to refit a Star Destroyer and the idea that it's a low-priority backwater. Especially a site capable of refitting six capital ships. In my eyes that sounds like a significant facility that the Empire would be extremely interested in maintaining and protecting. Similarly the idea that the site responsible for creating armor plate isn't strategically important also doesn't make sense, especially since as you specify the location is responsible for the majority of armor plate production. A site like that would have classified data on the ships its refitting, classified data on the armor plate itself, and would also be located close to the ships being refitted (since moving megatons of armor plate takes a lot of energy). There also remains a question of motivation; why does the Rebellion care about this strategically insignificant site?

That said I like the core premise and think you could do something with it. You're tasking your group with infiltrating, looting, and then sabotaging a poorly defended Imperial site so that it causes maximum damage. The elements of the damaged VSD offer some interesting ideas and give the Rebels a sense of urgency. What if the site really was a backwater refitting area mostly intended for refitting unimportant ships like cargo vessels, but the arrival of the VSD Incorrigible has caused a dramatic shift in the strategic importance of the site? Perhaps the site was the closest place the Incorrigible could perform emergency repairs and the Rebellion only has a brief window to take advantage of this and perform some sabotage? That would explain why such a critical location was previously considered irrelevant (armor plate on a bulk freighter?) and why it now offers something to exploit.

You could also use this as an opportunity to have the Rebels strike at the Star Destroyer itself. Perhaps the Incorrigible has suffered significant damage to the shielding of its reactor and RM-89 is the only location in the system capable of producing replacement parts. Now the Rebels have multiple levels of success. The best benefit would be if they infiltrate the site and sabotage the plating so that it destroys the ship when they install it. Perhaps a lower benefit would be to destroy the site so that the VSD is trapped, allowing the Rebels to perform a follow-on attack.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
^^^^ Yeah, I really like that, I'll start making some changes. Thanks! Feel free to keep suggestions or criticism coming.

Moose King posted:

Is the Star Destroyer actually docked at the station your party is infiltrating? If so, don't be too attached to your plans because the players will 100% try to steal the Star Destroyer. If it isn't docked there, your players will only 90% try to steal the Star Destroyer.

I'm counting on this player group's propensity for stealing poo poo and have decided to just incorporate it into the campaign by making their Rebel cell start off poorly equipped and undersupplied, and give them tangible rewards for pulling off more and more audacious acts of looting.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Mister Bates posted:

^^^^ Yeah, I really like that, I'll start making some changes. Thanks! Feel free to keep suggestions or criticism coming.

I'm counting on this player group's propensity for stealing poo poo and have decided to just incorporate it into the campaign by making their Rebel cell start off poorly equipped and undersupplied, and give them tangible rewards for pulling off more and more audacious acts of looting.

An AoR group I was in once ended up stealing like, 3 star destroyers and a platoon of tanks.

It was pretty cool.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Okay, I gave it a bit of a rewrite, keeping the core elements while reducing the importance of the facility itself and shifting the focus a bit towards the ship. I've also tried to add a few different tactical options which should give them multiple ways to approach the mission, all of them hopefully pretty much equally rewarding.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Duty and starting resources are weird.

So my 3 player party starts with 15 duty each, which if they don't spend down makes them basically like colonel equivalent going by the chart later in the book? I think I'll just mandate they must XP swap down to 5 or fewer to start with.

And 500 spacebucks worth of gear seems like, barefoot Confederate conscript dangerously ill equipped. I am gonna go with "a rifle and/or pistol with up to one sensible attachment, and whatever is reasonable for your MOS."

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

So my 3 player party starts with 15 duty each, which if they don't spend down makes them basically like colonel equivalent going by the chart later in the book? I think I'll just mandate they must XP swap down to 5 or fewer to start with.

And 500 spacebucks worth of gear seems like, barefoot Confederate conscript dangerously ill equipped. I am gonna go with "a rifle and/or pistol with up to one sensible attachment, and whatever is reasonable for your MOS."

What chart are you talking about? You don't get to lieutenant or captain until you get to contribution rank 5-8, which if you go by RAW is the party getting to 100 combined Duty 5-8 times.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Clearly I need to reread that bit. They still need more space cash tho.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Clearly I need to reread that bit. They still need more space cash tho.

You can trade Duty for spacebucks as well, can't you? I know you can trade it for more Obligation in EotE.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

thelazyblank posted:

You can trade Duty for spacebucks as well, can't you? I know you can trade it for more Obligation in EotE.

You can, and it's almost required for any character to have remotely decent equipment. It's especially annoying in eote, since credits are easy to come by when you're a criminal trying to get paid.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

thelazyblank posted:

True. Just seems like a sucker's bargain to trade for something as transitory as gear versus XP, so I'd save them from it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I always assumed that the spacebucks was for your personal gear, and you'd be issued other stuff as needed. Made more sense for the Rebellion than being some random dude trying to make a living.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You want a solid start, set your Duty/Obligation/Whatever to 5 or 10, starting cash to 2500 total, and they can only trade away 5 of whatever stat for either an extra 5 exp or 1k credits.

Otherwise normal rules, minus the 500 starting credits.

If your game is starting with 15 or 20, ignore what you were thinking and just go with 10 and they HAVE to pick either 5exp or the extra 1k credits on top (simulated 15).

Edit: Also disallow 5 in any stat from the start, plus or minus droids being allowed to have a single stat at 5 as long as nothing else is over 3 (You can make some stupid 5/4 combat builds in this system that break the starting difficulty over their knee).

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 28, 2016

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Warmachine posted:

My feeling is that, like in any system, you just start out with a modest challenge level and gradually up the stakes/difficulty based on the magnitude of what the characters are trying to accomplish.

Here's an example from session 8 of my current F&D campaign. It's non-combat but is one of the more enjoyable "encounters" I've run in this system:

My players are tracking down some missing cargo and find that it has been hauled aboard an Imperial corvette, which now appears to be drifting derelict through an asteroid field. After assuring themselves that the ship's weapons systems are inactive, they board.

Now, they could manage the bare minimum of exploration required to recover their cargo without ever rolling against more than two or three purple dice - easy enough that they'll pass most challenges, tough enough to generate occasional threat that I can use to create interesting environmental hazards. But they get ambitious and start probing further into the ship, looking for valuable salvage and secrets. As they do so, I start throwing in more 3-purple challenges and an occasional red. Eventually, they decide they want to salvage the entire ship, despite the spooky hints I've been throwing at them.

To make a long story short, they end up trying to repair a rapidly-melting-down reactor core while the ship's deranged verbobrain attempts to kill them, all while caroming wildly through the asteroid field. Mechanically, they're in structured time and have to pass several sequential checks within an alloted number of rounds, and some of those checks are pretty dire. They're rolling against 3-4 reds and multiple setbacks at a time, and have a time constraint that means they can't fail more than a couple of rolls.

Through cunning roleplay they accumulate some boosts and eliminate some setbacks, but the last couple of rolls are still against, I think, 3 red, 1 purple and 2 black, a somewhat heftier dice pool than they can bring to bear.

It's tense and goes down to the wire, but in the end they pull it off and claim the ship.

I'd set this up as an interlude between planets and, for plot reasons, wanted them to at least briefly explore the ship. I had been 50/50 on whether they would try to salvage it, given the horrors they discovered aboard.

I wasn't going to forbid them from making the attempt, of course, but, because the thing they were trying to accomplish was huge and campaign-altering, I made it very hard. Not impossible, mind you, but hard enough that they understood it was deeply daunting and dangerous. Pretty happy with the outcome - everybody had a blast, the party acquired a major new asset, and I made sure that asset came with plenty of complications that can continue to affect the campaign.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Double check my work: Does anything in Takeover at Whisper Base break if I set it shortly Pre-Battle of Yavin? (to tie some poo poo to come when I'm more comfortable freeballing with the system into Rogue One)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Anyone recruiting for a Rebellion themed game right now? Rogue One definitely got me in the mood for this game again. PBP is better for my schedule but I could probably try to make it work if I had to use hangouts or discord or whatever people use these days.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Double check my work: Does anything in Takeover at Whisper Base break if I set it shortly Pre-Battle of Yavin? (to tie some poo poo to come when I'm more comfortable freeballing with the system into Rogue One)

You should be good. IIRC, the only reference to the timeline is the opening crawl at the start of the adventure, which is easily ignored. Everything else is pretty self-contained on Onderon.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Anyone recruiting for a Rebellion themed game right now? Rogue One definitely got me in the mood for this game again. PBP is better for my schedule but I could probably try to make it work if I had to use hangouts or discord or whatever people use these days.

I've got a five-player game which currently only has four players, probably running it over Roll20. Shoot me a PM.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So after seeing Rogue One I got the fire in me to run Star Wars again, which is good since I've been having a hard time deciding what to run for my group. So in fashion for the first game I decided to steal the plot to The Guns of Navarone for the players to deal with. So the idea is the Empire after an offensive have trapped a large number of Rebel troops and material on some moon and they're being prevented from evacuating by space station with guns on it that can destroy any rebel flotilla before it can get close. Now I was thinking that to make it a different sort of super weapon I'd take a page out of Halo's book and was thinking of making them pretty much huge Magnetic Accelerator Cannons. So the PCs are going to have to infiltrate and figure out a way to disable/destroy them so the evacuation can commence. So I was looking for some feed back if pretty much huge slug throwers would make sense in this context or if it should be something else that decimate any relief ships.

Also is there any kind of index for all the ships and vehicles that have been released across all the books, it's kind of a pain in the rear end to have to constantly search all the different books for one I'm looking for

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A one-off asteroid cannon is literally the blood in Star Wars' veins. This is a space fantasy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

KomradeX posted:

So after seeing Rogue One I got the fire in me to run Star Wars again, which is good since I've been having a hard time deciding what to run for my group. So in fashion for the first game I decided to steal the plot to The Guns of Navarone for the players to deal with. So the idea is the Empire after an offensive have trapped a large number of Rebel troops and material on some moon and they're being prevented from evacuating by space station with guns on it that can destroy any rebel flotilla before it can get close. Now I was thinking that to make it a different sort of super weapon I'd take a page out of Halo's book and was thinking of making them pretty much huge Magnetic Accelerator Cannons. So the PCs are going to have to infiltrate and figure out a way to disable/destroy them so the evacuation can commence. So I was looking for some feed back if pretty much huge slug throwers would make sense in this context or if it should be something else that decimate any relief ships.

Also is there any kind of index for all the ships and vehicles that have been released across all the books, it's kind of a pain in the rear end to have to constantly search all the different books for one I'm looking for

Well in Legends the Empire had Hypervelocity Guns as ground-based space defences, so there is precedent. Hell, there could be a ground-based Gun and a fleet, and the mission is to capture the gun and turn it on the Empire, at least until the troops can be evacuated.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

wiegieman posted:

A one-off asteroid cannon is literally the blood in Star Wars' veins. This is a space fantasy.

That is very true, I just fell into the fandom trap of overthinking how shielding works in Star Wars. The worst thing you can do with Space Fantasy/Opera

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well in Legends the Empire had Hypervelocity Guns as ground-based space defences, so there is precedent. Hell, there could be a ground-based Gun and a fleet, and the mission is to capture the gun and turn it on the Empire, at least until the troops can be evacuated.

Oh that's right I remember these from Empire at War. I imagined there was a small fleet with maybe a few Interdictors also guarding the base. I guess basing it planet side would give them greater odds of infiltrating the base. But part one of this I was going to have them break into an Imperial supply base, and steal the next supply shipment so they could infiltrate the space station that way. It's a few of my players first go at this system so I want to give them a chance to get used to it a bit. Hopefully we'll be able to get through the whole thing in one session. But well you know how parties can be

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

KomradeX posted:

That is very true, I just fell into the fandom trap of overthinking how shielding works in Star Wars. The worst thing you can do with Space Fantasy/Opera

Oh that's right I remember these from Empire at War. I imagined there was a small fleet with maybe a few Interdictors also guarding the base. I guess basing it planet side would give them greater odds of infiltrating the base. But part one of this I was going to have them break into an Imperial supply base, and steal the next supply shipment so they could infiltrate the space station that way. It's a few of my players first go at this system so I want to give them a chance to get used to it a bit. Hopefully we'll be able to get through the whole thing in one session. But well you know how parties can be

You could still have them infiltrate the supply shipment - ground-based installations need supplies, too!

Actually now you've mentioned there's Interdictors (I'd suggest keeping it to only one), maybe that could factor into the mission - obviously any extraction is going to be a non-starter with one of those around, and the fleet can't afford to get in a slugging match to take it out first with the HVG on the ground, so the PCs have been sent in to disable the gun. Of course, 'why don't we just shoot the Interdictor with the gun' should be a conclusion they come up with on their own.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That was... really fun!

I was expecting us to take a while to read dice pools and get a handle on everything but we picked up the basics fairly quick, even the folks who only ever played D&D years ago. And the system is amenable to just making some poo poo up on the fly rather than looking up chapter and verse. "He shoots into the cockpit... no successes, but three advantage. You duck out of the way of the blast, but the controls are fried." And that poor janitor-bot. He was supposed to be the big "teach us about social encounters" opportunity but he just got gunned down instantly. Space 40 on the curb.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, my group's response to the janitor-bot was to run him over with a speeder bike. That they proceeded to shove into the hallways of the base and used to try and gun down stormtroopers.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

You could still have them infiltrate the supply shipment - ground-based installations need supplies, too!

Actually now you've mentioned there's Interdictors (I'd suggest keeping it to only one), maybe that could factor into the mission - obviously any extraction is going to be a non-starter with one of those around, and the fleet can't afford to get in a slugging match to take it out first with the HVG on the ground, so the PCs have been sent in to disable the gun. Of course, 'why don't we just shoot the Interdictor with the gun' should be a conclusion they come up with on their own.

I did figure that the flotilla guarding the installation was going to be an Interdictior or two (though I think I will take your advice and just have one) 4 Lancet frigates as star fighter defense and maybe one of those Cruisers from Rebels. The main threat always being the gun on the station itself which I assumed also has a regular compliment of lasers and turbo lasers. The idea is this space fortress that can lock down the space lanes for the whole sector. Which for some reason makes more sense to me for it to be a space station rather than a ground based gun. Though I did think of modifying the ion cannon from Empire Strikes Back.

Speaking of which, that has stats in one of these books right? I could swear I've seen it, though I can't remember which one. I'm one if the Age of Rebellion books I want to guess

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

KomradeX posted:

and maybe one of those Cruisers from Rebels

Do you mean the Arquittens "Light Cruiser*"?

I really like these things and their potential in the RPGs. They're capable on a small scale and more enough a threat to your average PC group's ship(s). They're also old Republic leftovers and so are just the sort of thing you'd see out in the Outter Rim where more importent/modern/TPK ships like ISDs are stretched thin.

Even better was the recent revelation that an Arquitens can somehow squeeze three TIE interceptors into that prow notch and hyperspace with them.

* More of a heavy Corvette or light Frigate, IMO, but I guess its a cruiser in the age-of-sail sense.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do you mean the Arquittens "Light Cruiser*"?

I really like these things and their potential in the RPGs. They're capable on a small scale and more enough a threat to your average PC group's ship(s). They're also old Republic leftovers and so are just the sort of thing you'd see out in the Outter Rim where more importent/modern/TPK ships like ISDs are stretched thin.

Even better was the recent revelation that an Arquitens can somehow squeeze three TIE interceptors into that prow notch and hyperspace with them.

* More of a heavy Corvette or light Frigate, IMO, but I guess its a cruiser in the age-of-sail sense.

Yeah that's the exact ship I was thinking of, these one's I think they look really cool. I figured I'd grab the stats from another cruiser in one of the books and just call it that. Or up arm a CR-90

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So here's a lore question that's been kinda bugging me lately. In Force and Destiny, the Jedi are this almost-lost near-mythological shattered order and the force itself is all but forgotten. Okay. But when Anakin was growing up, the Jedi are like, super well known. They get involved in state affairs in some of the major core planets, sit in on senate meetings, heads of state defer to their advice, etc. They seem very well integrated into the ruling class and it's not like any of that is a secret. They build giant temples out in the open on major core worlds. They're the opposite of a secret order. So how do you explain them going from non-secret ruling class magicians to urban legend in the span of like, 2 human lifetimes (Anakin and Luke)? No propaganda machine is that good at making something so large disappear.

I realize asking Star Wars to make sense is a pretty tall order but what's the given reason for this?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's been 20ish years, almost all of them died, the Empire aggressively suppresses all knowledge of them besides "we killed a bunch when they tried a coup", and it's a space fantasy so you need a mysterious lost tradition to uncover.

There are also plenty of people who knew Jedi personally or know about Jedi lore, they just don't talk about it because they're being hunted or don't want to be hunted. The influence of Imperial policy is stifling and pervasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Plenty of people remember the Jedi (eg: the Guardians of the Whills in Rogue One) plenty of other people doubted they were real even when they were around (see Han Solo), and others aren't going to mention Lenin much when Stalin's thugs takes over.

And the propaganda machine doesn't have to convince everyone, just enough people. And let's fac e it, did you ever see a Jedi? In a massive Galaxy their were 100,000 Jedi Knights/Masters tops, most people would go their entire lives never seeing one in person. Most of the time they'd be seen in news holos (especially during the Clone Wars) and all those fancy powers can be explained away one way or another (to varying degrees of stretching it). Force push/pull and jumps? Just repulsor tech. Mind tricks? Some kind of hypnosis device no doubt. Seeing the future? Well, if they could see the future, why are they all dead?

Besides, the Jedi were the ones who started the clone wars! Who was the leader of the Seperatists? Count Dooku, a Jedi. Who lead the majority of republic troops in battle? Jedi. They drew the war out, destabilized the galaxy, waiting for their moment to attempt a coup and completely take over. Thankfully they were stopped at the last moment before they could murder the Chancellor/Emperor. Ironically betrayed by their own clone soldiers who chose loyalty to the Republic/Empire over their treasonous Generals.