Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The endless sex jokes are also bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sex jokes in Dragon Ball I never heard of such

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Endless sex, for what it's worth, is no joke.:colbert:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
sex is scary and I don't like hearing about it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't understand "sex" because I a'm viciously autistic and it makes me uncomfortable when you guys mention itnercoruse

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Burkion posted:

Sex jokes in Dragon Ball I never heard of such

There's a difference

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

Mostly redraws of the eyes to say that someone is horny or whatever

Okay but they do other redraws too. In fact the do quite a lot of them. How are those only in service of sex jokes, poster Namtab?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Okay but they do other redraws too. In fact the do quite a lot of them. How are those only in service of sex jokes, poster Namtab?

Sorry for not having the redraw list to hand dude

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Namtab posted:

There's a difference

no there isn't

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

does it matter that much to people that someone doesn't like abridged

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the last sex joke redraw i remember is Dende giving Gohan bedroom eyes

i mostly remember because having one nine year old keep talking about how he wants to bang another nine year old was a weird loving choice to make

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The thing is I like a lot of what abridged does. Their interpretation of a lot of characters is spot on and ill generally find something in an episode that's funny, it's just that I feel that its weaker as of late, and part of that for me is the gratuitous sex jokes that have been rather ubiquitous since world's strongest

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno you are still here and you hate it. :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Particularly the recent chichi storyline which felt a bit uncomfortable given their interpretation of goku

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah really weird that people would reply to a forum post that they disagree with

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's nothing wrong with disliking Abridged. It's weird when you state making poo poo up as a reason to dislike Abridged though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shindragon posted:

I dunno you are still here and you hate it. :v:

I never said I hated it; I just don't watch it. this is why I don't talk about it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There's nothing wrong with disliking Abridged. It's weird when you state making poo poo up as a reason to dislike Abridged though.

I haven't made anything up though? I'm making a subjective judgement that, all truth be told, you're being kinda weird about

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

I haven't made anything up though? I'm making a subjective judgement that, all truth be told, you're being kinda weird about

Namtab posted:

The tfs redraws look like poo poo and only exist so they can make yet another sex joke in lieu of comedy

Okay. You either made this up or are being pretty dumb. TFS literally puts out videos going over the adjustments, edits and changes they make to the series and the do redraws for a ton of purposes including jokes (sex and otherwise), trying to make up for the fact they have to take artwork from multiple places, adjusting lipflap, changing timing, and so-on.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I only watch the show, not the making of, so forgive me for only noticing things that stick out like a sore thumb to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm at this bit at the start of the Androids saga where they have a flashback to Dragon Ball and Master Roshi explains what the Red Ribbon Army were, and I was pretty surprised that they're using the version of the script where "General" Tao is apparently the "mastermind behind the Red Ribbon Army" who wanted to rule the world. I didn't think that was a Funimation thing, but then again, they kept in the stuff about Chiaotzu being a "young emperor" (like in Mystical Adventure) back when he was wished back, so whatever. I thought that was Ocean Group. :shrug:

Edit: Also suggesting that Commander Red was Dr Gero, from what I can tell?

It's a strange choice. Not sure if it's as strange as Bardock being a great scientist or Goku assuming Vegeta was the one who squashed his grandfather, but still strange.

I still can't think of him as anything other than General Tao. It was really strange when they just called him Mercenary Tao in Dragonball, but it just didn't stick with me.

Also I could stand the sex jokes if it didn't take up half the episode like the latest one with Chi Chi. It wasn't that funny to begin with, but it just seemed like they were out of material this time,

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

Okay. You either made this up or are being pretty dumb. TFS literally puts out videos going over the adjustments, edits and changes they make to the series and the do redraws for a ton of purposes including jokes (sex and otherwise), trying to make up for the fact they have to take artwork from multiple places, adjusting lipflap, changing timing, and so-on.

thats great and all but they're still really drat noticeable

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah Beerus is exactly like Vegeta, even copying the weird thing were he is a massive rear end in a top hat monster that the main cast kind of ignores.

Beerus needs to get laid.(and then have a kid, gently caress off to Space for a while and become a Super God, come back .... )

Also Beerus is anime Galactus , he's not evil just a cosmic gear in the metaphysics of the universe. Is Goku evil for eating meat?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

thats great and all but they're still really drat noticeable

I think they do a good job with some but yeah a lot are, especially the really significant ones. (And they did a remarkably lovely job with World's Strongest in general, much worse than anything before or after.)

I'm just mostly confused at the claim they only exist for sex jokes which like... even lovely stuff like random Nappa edits or the Android 16/Gero's Son flashback video disprove that.

PhazonLink posted:

Is Goku evil for eating meat?

More evil than Piccolo. :colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Beerus needs to get laid.(and then have a kid, gently caress off to Space for a while and become a Super God, come back .... )

Also Beerus is anime Galactus , he's not evil just a cosmic gear in the metaphysics of the universe. Is Goku evil for eating meat?

Actually he's evil.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just mostly confused at the claim they only exist for sex jokes which like... even lovely stuff like random Nappa edits or the Android 16/Gero's Son flashback video disprove that.

hyperbole

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Abridged is a "little" heavyhanded with the sex jokes, imo.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Frieza was the golden child of the family though.

:bisonyes:

Rhonne posted:

Their dad was a bit cold to them though.

:vince:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

good post + sig combo

Be sure to click the sig for a surprise.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Namtab has pointed out the Chichi substory as being uncomfortable, which it absolutely is when you think about it, and someone else rightfully pointed out the Dende poo poo being cranked to 100, which is also noticeably awkward. Nobody has made poo poo up, and y'all dogpiling is making this whole argument really sad. I wouldn't agree that DBZA has been weaker as of late, but I would agree they're dipping their toes in creepy ponds lately. It's frustrating to me that they had the sense to cut the future gohan/bulma gag in the future trunks short, yet never stopped to think the Dende stuff was a little too much.

In any case, still enjoying the product, but there have been some tiny missteps here and there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

Is Goku evil for eating meat?

Concidering how many random animals turn out to be intelligent and able to talk on Dragonball Earth, yes Goku is likely evil for eating meat.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Abridged Goku explicitly enjoys it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Be sure to click the sig for a surprise.

oh shiiiiit
it's
my
boy

HITOSHI
MATSUMOTO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...What's creepy about the Dende jokes? I don't even think they're amazingly funny, but all they are is Dende awkwardly coming onto an oblivious Gohan. It's not like there's any dubious notions of consent or anything like that going on like there was with Chi-Chi and Goku before they walked it back in the next episode.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spiritus Nox posted:

...What's creepy about the Dende jokes? I don't even think they're amazingly funny, but all they are is Dende awkwardly coming onto an oblivious Gohan. It's not like there's any dubious notions of consent or anything like that going on like there was with Chi-Chi and Goku before they walked it back in the next episode.

Yeah, I'm here thinking the same thing. Is it because they're gay? I'm asking this frankly, because the worst thing I can see people taking from it is a gay panic joke, but it's more "thirsty teen comes on to oblivious teen".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's the part where they're children, mostly

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To me, it's just not very well written or delivered. There's not a lot to it. Sometimes jokes need more time in the oven and don't get it. Next time he appears he might come out with the most hilarious poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

a cartoon duck posted:

it's the part where they're children, mostly

They're characterized as teenagers, and the younger one is the one that doesn't get it. But sure, I suppose it could be the age thing.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Abridged Goku explicitly enjoys it.

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's not like there's any dubious notions of consent or anything like that going on like there was with Chi-Chi and Goku before they walked it back in the next episode.

This is probably going to apply mostly to me, but the is the reason the chichi and goku sex jokes got to me is basically because in my role as a learning disability nurse I've had to research the law on mental capacity tests around consent to sex, which in the uk is a simple test wherein the person must know the mechanics of the act, that the act can make you get stds and that vaginal intercourse can get women pregnant. If you don't pass the bits relevant to the sex act then you legally lack the capacity to consent to sex as an adult.

So first of all the show makes a lot of uncomfortable rape jokes which they eventually walk back a bit on by saying that goku is fine with it all, but then they reach the end of the goten episode (which dragged on the subject way too long) and goku explicitly only finds out when chichi gets pregnant that sex makes you pregnant.....yeah.

Intellectually I know it's not really relevant, but it's very uncomfortable

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Teen Gohan is only like 12.

No idea how Namekian age works though, pretty sure Piccolo went from a child to a full grown adult in like a year or 2. Also I'm pretty sure they don't have dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Namtab posted:

This is probably going to apply mostly to me, but the is the reason the chichi and goku sex jokes got to me is basically because in my role as a learning disability nurse I've had to research the law on mental capacity tests around consent to sex, which in the uk is a simple test wherein the person must know the mechanics of the act, that the act can make you get stds and that vaginal intercourse can get women pregnant. If you don't pass the bits relevant to the sex act then you legally lack the capacity to consent to sex as an adult.

So first of all the show makes a lot of uncomfortable rape jokes which they eventually walk back a bit on by saying that goku is fine with it all, but then they reach the end of the goten episode (which dragged on the subject way too long) and goku explicitly only finds out when chichi gets pregnant that sex makes you pregnant.....yeah.

Intellectually I know it's not really relevant, but it's very uncomfortable

This is all fair as a complaint. It does get a bit too uncomfortable to me too, although not enough that it drives me off DBZA since it's more of a brick joke. When DBS did that "Goku never kissed Chichi" the whole DBZA background made that land SUPER weird too, hehe.

• Locked thread