Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Gort posted:

Is this broken on the current patch? I don't seem to have a way to tell cities what to build (in the Poland scenario, if that matters)

No idea, I can't play the current patch because Aspyr are off 'til next Wednesday. Because God forbid Firaxis coordinate with their partners or anything. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008

MooselanderII posted:

How is the game after the most recent patch? How is the AI and combat? Are there any mods that can make this game any good in this respect?

AI is still useless and terrible at everything. There is AI+ mod going on but it is still in development and quite glitchy what i've read.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gort posted:

I think 6 is actually better for multiplayer. It's rock-solid stable and you can do scenarios that are actually of an appropriate length for multiplayer (IE: a couple of hours)

It's the worst for multiplayer ever because it doesn't have teams. Civ5 was a bit of a pain for multiplayer right at the start but right now this one you just can't do unless you're playing random people.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jackhammer posted:

AI is still useless and terrible at everything. There is AI+ mod going on but it is still in development and quite glitchy what i've read.
Basically, every patch causes AI+ to have to be re balanced. Honestly I'd love it if whoever writes AI+ would release a version that just deals with military issues instead of trying to fix the whole AI in one shot. Something like Whoward's Pick & Mix Mods.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Taear posted:

It's the worst for multiplayer ever because it doesn't have teams. Civ5 was a bit of a pain for multiplayer right at the start but right now this one you just can't do unless you're playing random people.

Haven't wanted to do teams yet, but isn't there a workaround that enables them?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Gort posted:

Is this broken on the current patch? I don't seem to have a way to tell cities what to build (in the Poland scenario, if that matters)

As of the fall patch, v0.6 is incompatible with the latest Civ release from the Fall Patch 2016. Worry not! You can still enjoy CQUI with the latest civ release using the nightly: https://github.com/chaorace/cqui/archive/master.zip

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gort posted:

Haven't wanted to do teams yet, but isn't there a workaround that enables them?

It lets you put people in them but you can't share a victory. So effectively no!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

As of the fall patch, v0.6 is incompatible with the latest Civ release from the Fall Patch 2016. Worry not! You can still enjoy CQUI with the latest civ release using the nightly: https://github.com/chaorace/cqui/archive/master.zip

That's the one that's broken for me.

Taear posted:

It lets you put people in them but you can't share a victory. So effectively no!

This seems like a bit of a niche thing to be upset over. Can't you just think "OK, I'm going to see the defeat screen now but that's okay because I know Bob and I just won a team victory" then lean over and high five your good buddy Bob?

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 24, 2016

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Apparently you can't share maps either, with it. Or tech.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gort posted:

This seems like a bit of a niche thing to be upset over. Can't you just think "OK, I'm going to see the defeat screen now but that's okay because I know Bob and I just won a team victory" then lean over and high five your good buddy Bob?

You know Bob is laughing at you once your back is turned. :doom:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gort posted:

You're not in a team at all. Like Vahakyla says, no maps, nothing. So you can't actually finish any game and it feels weird. I mean you could do science or culture but it's boring if you do that every single time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Taear posted:

You're not in a team at all. Like Vahakyla says, no maps, nothing. So you can't actually finish any game and it feels weird. I mean you could do science or culture but it's boring if you do that every single time.

If you convert all civilisations to your religion, that's a religious victory. If you and Bob are the only ones to retain their original capital, that's a domination victory. If you or Bob have a combined score higher than any other team when the turn limit expires, that's a score victory. Culture and science you've got a handle on already.

It doesn't really matter to me though, it's not a game type I use, so I could see it being more important to you that you can't share maps or tech (outside of research agreements). Chances are they'll patch it in sooner or later though.

I'm just thinking back to Civ 5 where the game was horribly unstable, desynced all the time, the AI was lobotomised in multiplayer games (though you could make an argument that Civ 6's AI is lobotomised all the time), mods were a lot of trouble to get working in MP, and no scenarios worked in multiplayer. Compared to that, only having a "workaround" version of team play sounds minor at worst.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
For me, it's my favorite form. I hope we get it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So as someone who hasn't played MP since Civ4 my senior year of college, did they make it so that it was able to be played in reasonable time? I don't think my roommate and I ever finished a game because it was basically the same timing as a one player game and just didn't have the time to do a several nights of paying the same game.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I tried 2 different MP games with buddies and they both devolved into me coloring and watching movies on my second monitor while i waited 12 minutes between turns to press enter

however, there is a new time scale and some multiplayer scenarios that purport to have solved the problem?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Efexeye posted:

I tried 2 different MP games with buddies and they both devolved into me coloring and watching movies on my second monitor while i waited 12 minutes between turns to press enter

however, there is a new time scale and some multiplayer scenarios that purport to have solved the problem?

I seem to remember that Civ4 had a simultaneous turns thing? That made things interesting for multiplayer even playing as allies.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It still has simultaneous turns but the warring players still take...turn-based...turns (unless you want the game to become about internet speed and sleight of hand and I don't think anyone does). So when your peaceful civ just wants to spread missionaries or work on Great Projects, those jokers are busy smashing 40 units into each other on every turn.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

So as someone who hasn't played MP since Civ4 my senior year of college, did they make it so that it was able to be played in reasonable time? I don't think my roommate and I ever finished a game because it was basically the same timing as a one player game and just didn't have the time to do a several nights of paying the same game.

As long as you play the MP rulesets, yes. They're limited to 50 turns and have appropriate win conditions. Global Thermonuclear War is a 50-turn game where the winner is the player to nuke the most city centres, for example.

There are another three or so rulesets with similar "do some poo poo real quick" objectives which are perfect for MP.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gort posted:

As long as you play the MP rulesets, yes. They're limited to 50 turns and have appropriate win conditions. Global Thermonuclear War is a 50-turn game where the winner is the player to nuke the most city centres, for example.

There are another three or so rulesets with similar "do some poo poo real quick" objectives which are perfect for MP.

Ok that sounds fun and neat. I just wouldn't have the time to organize a full civ game with a friend nowadays. It's hard enough finding time when we can hang out anymore as it is.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TjyvTompa posted:

I've been using this today, and there are many good things about it. Although the builder view is very disconcerting. And it definitely slows the game down. But it's a nightly, so you don't expect top performance. :shrug:

For a while, I thought it was sorting the list of city states by color, but it turns out I was just lucky for the first ten or so. :sigh:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I just bought this and wow, this game's AI is psychopathic. Please just take away their ability to declare joint war because I had 4 people war me on the same turn. After beating them back, America gave me, I kid you not, The Turin Shroud and The Ark Of The Covenant to make peace. I had plundered two trade routes and killed like 4 units. Arabia gave me 28 GPT to make the pain stop when I took one of his cities. I know for a fact they are both going to Formal War me again as soon as they are able. I feel like I'm taking diamonds that are being thrown at me from celebrity babies.

In addition to all this, they now think I'm a warmonger for retaliating during wars they started.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 27, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Yup because the AI +/- system, while good on paper, is absolutely loving ridiculous about the penalties you get for capturing cities. Even in early eras where it shouldn't be.

Civ6 diplomacy is just completely made to make the AI hate you if you want to win via conquest which is the way 90% of the people who buy the game want to win.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, I did some hotseat playing today and it turns out the alert command isn't making units very alert because I had a crossbowman on alert get hit in the face by barbarians and not reacting. Considering it happened multiple times for both me and my friend and we did double make sure to hit alert. Also the devs "fix" for the AI showing up as the same leader as you was by preventing any duplicates at all. Want to face off against five Monty's? Well gently caress you, you can't do that. Was this the first game the team has ever made?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Poil posted:

Welp, I did some hotseat playing today and it turns out the alert command isn't making units very alert because I had a crossbowman on alert get hit in the face by barbarians and not reacting. Considering it happened multiple times for both me and my friend and we did double make sure to hit alert. Also the devs "fix" for the AI showing up as the same leader as you was by preventing any duplicates at all. Want to face off against five Monty's? Well gently caress you, you can't do that. Was this the first game the team has ever made?

I believe you can allow duplicates of a leader by unchecking a box on the "advanced settings".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

prefect posted:

I believe you can allow duplicates of a leader by unchecking a box on the "advanced settings".
Neat, I didn't see that when we set up.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Poil posted:

Yeah, I noticed this when playing today. I kept setting lots of units to alert, and none of them ever alerted, even though barbarians would be right next to them.

"Alert" seems to be broken.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yeah, I noticed this when playing today. I kept setting lots of units to alert, and none of them ever alerted, even though barbarians would be right next to them.

"Alert" seems to be broken.
It's totally unexpected and a complete surprise as well.

On the plus side I got watch my friend lose a city against a city state. That's when he finally built a crossbowman to help his one warrior and archer defend. Technically it was partly my fault for telling him to go to war but it was the only way to stop the AI from wiping out his religion by throwing missionaries at him super early. I started next to the rear end in a top hat Saladin who "surprise" wared me with horsemen, his unique knights and some catapults but I had ancient walls and an encampment so he couldn't do anything.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
So do they not have any schedule for the DLC, or otherwise further planned Civs?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Firaxis isn't real big on visible roadmaps. Our best advance guess for planned DLC before we get some kind of Steam database leak or something is Isabella for Spain, because everything else from the design board spotted in one of their interview videos has turned up in game or as DLC to this point. It's possible they'll want it to coincide with the Aztec DLC becoming available for all players, or also possible that they'll hold it until like a month after that or something. Well, being that that date is January 18th, it's far more likely we won't see new DLC until February at the earliest.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

So do they not have any schedule for the DLC, or otherwise further planned Civs?

they didn't even tell us when the winter update was hitting much less that it'd come with more DLC

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There will be at least 4 pieces of DLC, as that's what the deluxe edition promises. After that, who knows.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I noticed that the DLC is slammed with negative reviews because apparently the viking scenario pack is one of the four pieces of DLC that's included with the deluxe edition, does anyone know if that's accurate or do the two recent releases count as one for that?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Geight posted:

I noticed that the DLC is slammed with negative reviews because apparently the viking scenario pack is one of the four pieces of DLC that's included with the deluxe edition, does anyone know if that's accurate or do the two recent releases count as one for that?

The two DLCs count as two DLCs. :)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

JetsGuy posted:

Yup because the AI +/- system, while good on paper, is absolutely loving ridiculous about the penalties you get for capturing cities. Even in early eras where it shouldn't be.

Civ6 diplomacy is just completely made to make the AI hate you if you want to win via conquest which is the way 90% of the people who buy the game want to win.

I seriously think there should be a -75% or more modifier for warmonger penalties if you are the one who was declared on. More if it was a joint declaration. Excluding the Genocide penalty for wiping a civ out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I seriously think there should be a -75% or more modifier for warmonger penalties if you are the one who was declared on. More if it was a joint declaration. Excluding the Genocide penalty for wiping a civ out.

I'd prefer something where you're allowed to take a certain amount of reparations warmongering-free. Like if they declare on you you can take one city from them and everyone will just nod and go "Yeah, sounds about right". Same with things like getting caught spying, or denouncing someone.

Actually, I'd prefer warmongering to go entirely and be replaced by a system whereby the AI targets the player most likely to win. Attacking someone for warmongering seems dumb when there's a player peacefully winning the game elsewhere.

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 28, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'd prefer teh warmonger penalties to just be less of a thing. The game advertises "Oh hey, you'll get little to no warmonger penalty in the early eras" but then the AI's will still hate you 1000 years later if you stomped all over Frederick's stuff in the classical era because he was menacing the city states that you wanted to build up, as he tends to do.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The game hates you a 1,000 years later because the +/- system is cumulative. This makes a degree of sense because you don't want some nation you've been good friends with for a thousand years to hate you overnight. On the other hand it has the opposite effect of nations hating you forever because of wars from a thousand years ago.

Yeah yeah "that's realistic". I just wish the capture city penalty was far far less. Especially if they cede the city to you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

JetsGuy posted:

This makes a degree of sense because you don't want some nation you've been good friends with for a thousand years to hate you overnight.

It would make a degree of sense if this is how it actually worked, but I assume there must be some sort of stack overflow thing because without fail, each and every one of my forever buddies will turn on me. And then the rest of the world thinks I'm a monster for razing the traitor.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you wipe out one or more civs in the early game before the other civs even have met you, do you still get warmongering penalties when they finally meet you?

I'm not exactly sure, as everyone dislikes me no matter what I do. Either I'm too strong, or too weak, or I have too many great people, or I haven't spread my religion to their cities, or I did spread my religion to their cities, or who knows what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Orange Sunshine posted:

If you wipe out one or more civs in the early game before the other civs even have met you, do you still get warmongering penalties when they finally meet you?

I'm not exactly sure, as everyone dislikes me no matter what I do. Either I'm too strong, or too weak, or I have too many great people, or I haven't spread my religion to their cities, or I did spread my religion to their cities, or who knows what.

They will pretty much hate you no matter what. It is part of what sucks about Civ right now.