Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Iceshade posted:

High five Scharnhorst santa present bro. Was it a supercontainer for you as well?

Yes. Big rear end container thing.

And counter question. Are you on EU? And if so do you want to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

ZombieLenin posted:

Want to chime in here and say I like the Pensacola. It's detection range is poo poo, it's a floating citadel, but her guns are exceptional. She's got fantastic AP and good HE.

It's actually comical to play her sometimes. People aren't afraid of you and often turn their broadside to you, because they are going to kill you no problem (in their head). Then you can absolutely delete them in one or two salvos and hear them rage about hacks after they realize what happened to them.

Fake edit

I'm about to hit 15pts on a Russian cruiser captain. Should I be bothering with CE, or should I triple down on 4pt skills?

I'm almost to the NO, I've gotten used to the Pensacola but despite the great guns and AA it's still a horrendously bad ship as long as we have a BB heavy meta. The guns let you absolutely wreck people if you're given even half a chance, but the total lack of armour or concealment means you have very little control over whether you survive long enough to get that chance. Just to point out how little armour that is: everything with guns 11" or bigger (Scharnhorst, Graf Spee, even Koenig which you can meet in T7 battles) overmatches all your armour bar the citadel itself and the front of your turrets. Notably, they overmatch your barbettes too. Everything with 15" or bigger (Bayern, Warspite, every T7 BB and up) overmatches the central citadel deck and the rear bulkhead of the central citadel. So it's not just a floating citadel with paper armour, a huge chunk of your ship's vitals are essentially laid bare to the world as far as nearly every BB you will face is concerned. I'm happy fighting enemy cruisers in it but when every game has 5 enemy BBs who can literally kill you in all of 3 hits you're just asking for trouble.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Whats the flamu trick?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Burns posted:

Whats the flamu trick?

Buy three 3 euro boxes and open them while playing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB2mKTeD0SU video.

EDIT:... I suppose buying them while play the video cant hurt...

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 28, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Next paycheck I'm going to get 33 captain's boxes at the same time because I am down to 2 possible premium ships. Tirpitz and scharn. My theory is that I will get many many doubloons from duplicate tirpitzes. Then I will be set for the next year.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Seems like the 3 dollar box is the sweet spot.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

For some reason getting a rain of secondary fire on them suddenly seems to make pubbies panic.

What kind of pubbies are you seeing that actually get within secondary range of anything?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

What kind of pubbies are you seeing that actually get within secondary range of anything?

Turn off your monitor.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Scikar posted:

I'm almost to the NO, I've gotten used to the Pensacola but despite the great guns and AA it's still a horrendously bad ship as long as we have a BB heavy meta. The guns let you absolutely wreck people if you're given even half a chance, but the total lack of armour or concealment means you have very little control over whether you survive long enough to get that chance. Just to point out how little armour that is: everything with guns 11" or bigger (Scharnhorst, Graf Spee, even Koenig which you can meet in T7 battles) overmatches all your armour bar the citadel itself and the front of your turrets. Notably, they overmatch your barbettes too. Everything with 15" or bigger (Bayern, Warspite, every T7 BB and up) overmatches the central citadel deck and the rear bulkhead of the central citadel. So it's not just a floating citadel with paper armour, a huge chunk of your ship's vitals are essentially laid bare to the world as far as nearly every BB you will face is concerned. I'm happy fighting enemy cruisers in it but when every game has 5 enemy BBs who can literally kill you in all of 3 hits you're just asking for trouble.

Yeah, don't get me wrong... I get the problems with the ship, I just have fun in it (when things don't go horribly wrong).

You are also speaking to the choir about the meta. I own two tier X ships--the Hindenburg and Minotaur--so I know all about how lovely it is to play high tier cruisers in a battleship and destroyer meta.

Edit

It's not just the forts in Bastion mode, btw. My Minotaur guns do loving nothing to surveillance stations. They are loving antennas and my shells don't pen the.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I saw OSad and had to shoot at his Bayern, because he wouldn't stop driving it straight at me

Leander is pretty good by the way, even stock

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even if BBs weren't any good they'd probably still dominate the meta because that's where all the big name dickwaving ships people want to play as are.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Bastion forts are super obnoxious, a yamato HE shell every 5 seconds and it is waaaay too accurate.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong... I get the problems with the ship, I just have fun in it (when things don't go horribly wrong).

You are also speaking to the choir about the meta. I own two tier X ships--the Hindenburg and Minotaur--so I know all about how lovely it is to play high tier cruisers in a battleship and destroyer meta.

Edit

It's not just the forts in Bastion mode, btw. My Minotaur guns do loving nothing to surveillance stations. They are loving antennas and my shells don't pen the.

It doesn't seem to be on the public test but I saw a link earlier that suggested they were looking at lowering the armour on the buildings and also removing the A hull on Nagato and Amagi (they start with the B hull instead). Would be nice if Fuso got the same treatment, strangely Kongo is the only one that doesn't start with a WW1 hull for some reason and they're thankfully not in any rush to add it. Not going to argue with those changes though.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Scikar posted:

It doesn't seem to be on the public test but I saw a link earlier that suggested they were looking at lowering the armour on the buildings and also removing the A hull on Nagato and Amagi (they start with the B hull instead). Would be nice if Fuso got the same treatment, strangely Kongo is the only one that doesn't start with a WW1 hull for some reason and they're thankfully not in any rush to add it. Not going to argue with those changes though.

The Kongo has an A hull it is called the Ishizuchi.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm surprised to find I'm having so much fun with the game again, and I think I might buy a second premium to grind captains with and support Wargaming.

Any recommendations? I'm still relatively new at the game, so any super high skill floor ships might not be suitable. I don't have any huge preference for ship type (no carriers).

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I saw OSad and had to shoot at his Bayern, because he wouldn't stop driving it straight at me

Leander is pretty good by the way, even stock

I was banking on our Mahan smoking us in and helping us flush all the BB's out of that cap... like your DD's did for your approach. Once it became obvious that he was just going to float at the back, it became a matter of trying to kill something before I inevitably died.

We team-stacked the south cap and still lost that anyway so, some games you're just not meant to win. Well played regardless.

OSad fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 28, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
In a completely shocking way, wargaming has revealed the modified "know where the nearest enemy ship is" skill... by not changing it at all.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Scikar posted:

Would be nice if Fuso got the same treatment, strangely Kongo is the only one that doesn't start with a WW1 hull for some reason and they're thankfully not in any rush to add it.

Kongou also had a WWI A-hull until a few patches ago.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hazdoc posted:

In a completely shocking way, wargaming has revealed the modified "know where the nearest enemy ship is" skill... by not changing it at all.

Ahahahaha. This should be good.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Welp, gently caress this game then.

I mean, I'm normally the first person to say "Things change. Learn to adapt or prepare to lose" but given that some ships absolutely rely on stealth and not letting the enemy know their position, and then drop in a skill that makes those ships literally impossible to do the very thing they were designed to do, yeah. gently caress that noise.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's dumb as gently caress, and will completely neuter DDs and CLs. Might as well just rename this poo poo to World of Battleships, and encourage sniping at each other at 20k forever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rorac posted:

Welp, gently caress this game then.

I mean, I'm normally the first person to say "Things change. Learn to adapt or prepare to lose" but given that some ships absolutely rely on stealth and not letting the enemy know their position, and then drop in a skill that makes those ships literally impossible to do the very thing they were designed to do, yeah. gently caress that noise.

They can survive off BB players alone, I imagine.

Someone had to be buying all those Tirpitzes.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

They can survive off BB players alone, I imagine.

Someone had to be buying all those Tirpitzes.

And I say that as someone (aka: whale) who bought the Tirpitz and Scharnhorst. Still, some variation makes the game fun, a well played DD sneaking up on me to torp is always loving cool (and infuriating).

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
This is a supermassive nerf to DD's that I'm not sure they deserved.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Ok what are the new skills and when will they be here?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

They seem to be exactly what was leaked earlier and they go onto PT tomorrow.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't the original reaction to the leak 'Hahaha, this has to be fake, these are too loving stupid to be real'?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I want those HEAP rounds though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't the original reaction to the leak 'Hahaha, this has to be fake, these are too loving stupid to be real'?

wargaming.txt

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

gently caress MY rear end

I bought 3 captain's boxes on a lark, now look at my plan I posted a little further up. Guess what I got from my 3 captain's boxes.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

A Scharnhorst, a camo, and a Tirpitz.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Aha, I still haven't gotten a Eugen. My plan still stands.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
I think the only ships left I can get are the molotov, the scharn and the dunkerque (although I'm not sure that's in santa boxes)

please wg just give me the scharn so I can end this constant $6 leak in my bank account

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Thronde posted:

Yeah that's dumb as gently caress, and will completely neuter DDs and CLs. Might as well just rename this poo poo to World of Battleships, and encourage sniping at each other at 20k forever.

I'm not worried about. She what if it points at the nearest enemy ship. This only has real application in scenarios where someone isn't spotted and is shooting the BB AND the battleship can do something about it, which is rare.

I mean, how is that different than me actually looking at where the invisible shells hitting me are coming from?

I mean I guess it helps not get invisible torpedoed too, but frankly pubbies are still going to be pubbies and the good BB players were going to make invisible torpedoing them hard anyway.

I think the biggest game changer in favor of battleships is going to be when they remove them invisible firing (of guns) altogether. That's going to totally change how people approach ships like the Benson.

Der Shovel posted:

I'm surprised to find I'm having so much fun with the game again, and I think I might buy a second premium to grind captains with and support Wargaming.

Any recommendations? I'm still relatively new at the game, so any super high skill floor ships might not be suitable. I don't have any huge preference for ship type (no carriers).

It depends. What ships do you like and do you need a crew trainer? The easiest recommendation though is Atago. She's the best tier 8 in the game, fun as hell to play, and will make you good money; however, if you're really into BBs or are trained my German captains, Scharnhorst can be had right now, which I would almost as enthusiastically recommend.

If you like Destroyers and don't give a poo poo about having a ship that you can't train crew with you can buy a Yo Lang right now, which is probably the best (high tier) premium DD out there.

I mean I'd pick one of those three. Tirpitz is alright and noob friendly, but seriously I'd go Scharnhorst right now since it's available (it isn't always) if I were going premium BB.

If you want something cheaper and American, Arizona isn't bad and you can pick it up now (it's not always available either).

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 28, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Benson will be for ambushes and knife fighting around islands.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally caved and attempted the Flamu trick.

Bought 10 $3 boxes, got 90 days premium, 3K doubloons, 50 Dragon flags, 100 ESCL flags, An Atlanta, and a Warspite.

A few days ago I got nothing but came from 5 Admiral boxes with no Flamu.

The truth is out there, people.

EDIT: How do you not die in the Atlanta?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm not worried about. She what if it points at the nearest enemy ship. This only has real application in scenarios where someone isn't spotted and is shooting the BB AND the battleship can do something about it, which is rare.

I mean, how is that different than me actually looking at where the invisible shells hitting me are coming from?

I mean I guess it helps not get invisible torpedoed too, but frankly pubbies are still going to be pubbies and the good BB players were going to make invisible torpedoing them hard anyway.

I think the biggest game changer in favor of battleships is going to be when they remove them invisible firing (of guns) altogether. That's going to totally change how people approach ships like the Benson.
?

This isn't about ships shooting from stealth, only a dimwit would need a skill to know where a ship that's stealth firing is shooting from. This skill will negate the ability for ships to ambush behind islands or smoke screens, stop people from flanking, reduce the effectiveness of DD stealth torping, and kill off any chance for comeback scenarios in a losing game. Its a horrendous idea.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

?

This isn't about ships shooting from stealth, only a dimwit would need a skill to know where a ship that's stealth firing is shooting from. This skill will negate the ability for ships to ambush behind islands or smoke screens, stop people from flanking, reduce the effectiveness of DD stealth torping, and kill off any chance for comeback scenarios in a losing game. Its a horrendous idea.

Meh... if it's not giving you range, I think you'll find that it will make very little difference. Good players will utilize that skill as you describe, most people I doubt will.

I could be wrong, but I think two things will happen:

1. That indicator will point all over the place the whole match, 80% of pubbies will stop paying attention

2. Even if it's pointing at that island, the reason mr pubbie wants to go around it is he knows someone is over there somewhere he wants to shoot. Best case this affirms his or her decision to sail straight into the ambush. Worst case he thinks it's pointing to someone he can't see because they're out of his detection range.

The only time this doesn't work is if he's currently fighting someone he can see who is only 8k away, and then your average player will be too busy with that to pay attention to where his closest ship dangle is pointing.

But I could be wrong. We will see when it hits test (though test isn't actually the best test since it often attracts 'better' players).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

yup. smoke for the smoke gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Jack_tripper posted:

I think the only ships left I can get are the molotov, the scharn and the dunkerque (although I'm not sure that's in santa boxes)

please wg just give me the scharn so I can end this constant $6 leak in my bank account

the very next box. I've finally won boats christmas 2016