Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This game is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I got sucked into this by an RL friend, please invite. :sun:

Zodium fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 30, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dirt posted:

This game is weird.

lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cmdrk posted:

the luclin era elemental models that actually tried to make the elementals look like something were bad and the designers should feel bad.

Completely agree. Back in the day I turned on the new-3D models for a few things, I think dark elf and wood elf were some of them, but I NEVER liked the new elementals. The old elemental dudes were charming in their abstract shape. The new guys were just like ugly genies.

Nowadays though I prefer all the old models and I'm happy 1999 runs that way.

Dirt posted:

This game is weird.

:eyepop:

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Dirt posted:

This game is weird.

Needs more edgy zonewide duel messages, like "Heartattack has defeated Carriefisher in a duel to the death!", for that classic experience

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

somebody get them two a 96%

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've noticed quite a batch of 50+'s in <Unknown Guild> these days. Do we have what it takes to try and camp a fungi on a weekend with a small group?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Siets posted:

I've noticed quite a batch of 50+'s in <Unknown Guild> these days. Do we have what it takes to try and camp a fungi on a weekend with a small group?

I'm not available this weekend, but I've got a 55 Wizard in need of a Seb key. Easy rides to Emerald Jungle

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I'm thinking of getting a group of friends together to do some LAN once a month or so, is Red lowbie friendly/empty, or are there people just looking to gank new players?

I know I need to go and get the IP exceptions before I start, and I know I can do blue, but the infrequency of play, the Red XP bonuses are tough to ignore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Noah posted:

I'm thinking of getting a group of friends together to do some LAN once a month or so, is Red lowbie friendly/empty, or are there people just looking to gank new players?

I know I need to go and get the IP exceptions before I start, and I know I can do blue, but the infrequency of play, the Red XP bonuses are tough to ignore.

Be prepared for your IP exception to take like 3 months to go through :v:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Be prepared for your IP exception to take like 3 months to go through :v:

And be prepared to be harassed by GMs constantly to prove you aren't boxing. The IP exempt list is basically a shakedown list for bored GMs. You might honestly be better off having everyone use VPNs/IP address anonymizers to get around it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It sucks because, I really don't like boxing and I think the game and community are far better without it, so I'm down with that, but I also have lots of friends who would probably come over to my place and play some p99 but can't really be arsed to play it on their own at their place. I did get one friend and my cousin to install it on their machines and log in a few times, but LAN play would really be a good time. Double edged sword.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Depending on how much you hate life, everyone can play over their tethered cell phone hot spots. It's not much data usage and only a bit more lag.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Inimicul posted:

Depending on how much you hate life, everyone can play over their tethered cell phone hot spots. It's not much data usage and only a bit more lag.

this actually works really well.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Siets posted:

And be prepared to be harassed by GMs constantly to prove you aren't boxing.

how does this go down? :raise:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zodium posted:

a friend had an IP exemption and used it once to transfer a few items between accounts. GMs detected the boxing fairly quickly and confronted him about it within minutes. He admitted to it, resulting in a "light" 30 day ban as I recall.

my guess/memory is that they make you do different things at the same time on each account to prove it.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 29, 2016

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Just play on red if you wanna box no one gives a poo poo there

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zodium posted:

From le memelords at Reddit:

quote:

Ever get caught 2-boxing on p99, or know someone who has? Ever wonder how the staff know to look for you?

The Project 1999 CSR staff have access to a suite of tools which includes a special screen that allows staff to see people who are likely boxing, but thanks to Rogean's idiotic overcompartmentalization of access, these tools have their own blind spots.

Here's what the "2-box list" console looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/fQti55w.png

In the above image, we see three pairs of accounts which have been flagged as CURRENTLY BOXING:

sulzer12 and Melcomatic

jbeans09 and ubbr1

Tynee24 and titanx

Accounts show up on this list if ALL of the following conditions are true:

The accounts are both currently logged in
The accounts are both behind the same IP address
The accounts are running on the same Machine ID (Computer Name)
So, how do you avoid showing up on this "2box list"?

If you DON'T have an IP Exemption... you will need use a VPN or tether a mobile device(s) on a different network to connect the 2nd/3rd account and computer from different IP addresses. Be warned that although simple GUIDES will not be able to tell you are tethering, GMs (or staff with database access) CAN USUALLY CONFIRM the source of an internet connection (ground connection vs. a wireless broadband connection)

If you DO have an IP Exemption... just make sure you NEVER open 2+ clients from the same machine name. As long as you avoid doing that, you won't show up on this list, and the guides will have NO clue.

Whatever method you use, just make sure that you NEVER have the SAME COMPUTER NAME connected from the SAME IP ADDRESS logged into more than one account. That is a sure-fire way to have a guide show up and question you for boxing. By that point, you're pretty much already busted.

Also, be on the lookout for other players who may be in the zone watching you. P99 has a lot of snitches in the community who love to petition other players if they suspect rule breaking.

Ask questions below and I'll be happy to shed as much light as possible on this subject.

xoxo Moregan/GG

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
tldr; step one for boxing is do NOT apply for an ip exemption, use a vpn instead

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Arakan posted:

tldr; step one for boxing is do NOT apply for an ip exemption, use a vpn instead

Doesn't get around guides and GMs who actually go around looking for people boxing or like that article mentioned, snitches. If you do it somewhere popular like KC or Seb or Quillmane etc, someone is probably gonna snitch.

So basically, use a VPN and don't make it obvious/do it in popular areas. Or just don't box, not really worth the hassle in my opinion. There's plenty of places where boxing is allowed if you wanna go that route.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I more just posted that info to help him legitimately play P99 with his friends over LAN and hopefully avoid most of the stress and hassle that comes from the GM policing.

At the end of the day, even if you are not actually boxing you could still end up losing everything in the blink of an eye because of a GM's judgment call. I completely respect the double-edged sword and gray area that policing boxing is. For P99 to be what it is, it's necessary. That said, it is terrifying when a GM actually does show up and says "you are about to have your entire account permanently deleted unless you and your friends can perfectly dance in unison for me."

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

100% Dundee posted:

Doesn't get around guides and GMs who actually go around looking for people boxing or like that article mentioned, snitches. If you do it somewhere popular like KC or Seb or Quillmane etc, someone is probably gonna snitch.

So basically, use a VPN and don't make it obvious/do it in popular areas. Or just don't box, not really worth the hassle in my opinion. There's plenty of places where boxing is allowed if you wanna go that route.

I watched this necro boxing in misty thicket he was killing the wall guards. He would pull and kill till his mana was low then a bard with a name almost exactly like his would log in and play mana song :laugh:

The P99 boxing detection works on your machine name and hardware ID, virtual machines and a VPN can get around that but nothing will save you when Braknar shows up and wants your two toons to run figure eights at the same time.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Siets posted:

I more just posted that info to help him legitimately play P99 with his friends over LAN and hopefully avoid most of the stress and hassle that comes from the GM policing.

At the end of the day, even if you are not actually boxing you could still end up losing everything in the blink of an eye because of a GM's judgment call. I completely respect the double-edged sword and gray area that policing boxing is. For P99 to be what it is, it's necessary. That said, it is terrifying when a GM actually does show up and says "you are about to have your entire account permanently deleted unless you and your friends can perfectly dance in unison for me."

Don't duo. Don't even group! Solo is where it's at because no one can claim you're boxing.

Orange Red Bull posted:

I watched this necro boxing in misty thicket he was killing the wall guards. He would pull and kill till his mana was low then a bard with a name almost exactly like his would log in and play mana song :laugh:

The P99 boxing detection works on your machine name and hardware ID, virtual machines and a VPN can get around that but nothing will save you when Braknar shows up and wants your two toons to run figure eights at the same time.

Unless you're this rear end in a top hat.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
That's a shame to hear the IP exception might take that long. I'm not too worried about a GM dropping in on us because I legit just want to have some friends over, drink beer and eat pizza and play EQ. It's more of a friend hangout with EQ in the background than EQ with some friends around kind of thing.

I know Red is more empty than Blue, but is it going to be toxic at all, or can I reasonably expect to carve out a leveling niche on a given saturday?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Lots of goons on these days. Kinda Nice :D

We should do some kind of thing together.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Let's get a fungi crew going!! Fungis for all!! The rent cost of fungis is too drat high!!

Red is extremely lowbie toxic in the popular lowbie zones. Back when I played Red a year ago, there was some megatwink rogue that had fungi and rogue epic constantly murdering folks in Crushbone at all hours of every day. Same deal in Blackburrow.

If the idea of leveling off the beaten path appeals to you and your friends then I would say Red is worth a go, but if you just wanted to relive Crushbone/Blackburrow/Commonlands for nostalgia then I would definitely stick to Blue.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Just use phones then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zodium posted:

I've heard rumors of people being ported somewhere by GMs and made to run around in circles or answer different questions at the same time, but that could just be rumors.

I had an IP exemption and never got hassled by GMs, although I didn't play LAN a whole ton either. But we did play a bit and never had anybody say anything. Pretty sure last time we tried to LAN play it wouldn't let us, so I'd have to file a new report with the GMs to try to get it reinstated or updated to my new IP address or something, and its just such a hassle I haven't bothered.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thanks guys. unfortunately i've abandoned my quest for viable exploiting and cheating methods after learning that Rogean is the/a P99 admin, he used to be a SoD GM and I kinda owe him :smithfrog:

is there an active P99 IRC channel or something? motherfucker seems to have forum PMs turned off and I wanna go say hi

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
If you want to EQ with friends there's a ton of other servers besides P99 that don't mind boxing. The populations are lower and some of them have funky rulesets but I'm sure you can find one that'll meet your needs.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I've messed around a bit with P2002, pretty cool server that's also boxing friendly(up to 3 per person). Easy to set up, they have an installer that does everything for you so you don't even need titanium filez or anything. Don't need any kind of ip exemptions or anything.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

unfortunately, my EQ motivation level is currently "created character while incredibly baked with a bud and now I can't seem to stop logging in", which is at least 4.6 motivations below the necessary amount to consider the existence of other servers, define for myself what I might want in a server, or do much more than chain beg buffs at teleport spots while whacking snakes with my snake whacking hammer. :chord:

today my level 14 druid died to a level 40 griffin in west commons.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zodium posted:

thanks guys. unfortunately i've abandoned my quest for viable exploiting and cheating methods after learning that Rogean is the/a P99 admin, he used to be a SoD GM and I kinda owe him :smithfrog:

is there an active P99 IRC channel or something? motherfucker seems to have forum PMs turned off and I wanna go say hi

theres a p99 discord i think he hangs there sometimes

at least he was in there during a recent downtime

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I've observed the GM busting in person. I was grouping with a guy in OOT killing Sisters, and he had an extra character he just used to unload heavy loot on. Suddenly a GM pops in and says "please don't move, this is a boxing check, just a moment", and 5 minutes later the guy whispered me that he was being suspended for 30 days, gently caress this, etc. Boom, he was gone.

It seems harsh, but I think it's fair that they have a strict principle and stick to it. It takes a lot of effort beyond what the average joe will or can do, to tether/VPN/ShowEQ and all that, so the vast majority of normal players play legit.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I always love how guides/GMs are either bored or slow/never-present/useless depending on which facet of CSRing is being discussed.

IP exemption wait time was as low as 1-2 days earlier this year, but the staff tends to be on break during/after the holidays so don't expect anything to process too fast at the moment.

Regarding 2 boxing, yes, getting an exemption is going to involve staff interaction because even though the rules are clearly stated and there's plenty of knowledge out there in the community, there's still lots of people who get an exemption and then immediately open up two clients on the same machine. 2 box policing is also one of the few things that all levels of the staff can do from guides all the way up to Rogean and nilbog, as opposed to say, raid issues on blue, LnS on red, or item reimbursement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inimicul posted:

If you want to EQ with friends there's a ton of other servers besides P99 that don't mind boxing. The populations are lower and some of them have funky rulesets but I'm sure you can find one that'll meet your needs.

In my experience every sever is either super unpopulated, spawns everybody in some custom zone designed to get you to level 30 in minutes, isn't around for long; or some combination of the three.

P99 for better or worse is the only EQ server I can stand at all.

I can roll up my own private server though, have one already, and if I didn't play on P99 or wanted to get a serious LAN together that's what I'd do. But then you miss out on all the other-people that MMOs are supposed to be about.

But I also don't like boxing or having one dude rolling his own party around. I just want to be able to play with friends. Its a tough spot to be in, but w/e. I just play 99 myself and meet people on the server, and then play other games with my friends LAN style. :shrug:

Zodium posted:

unfortunately, my EQ motivation level is currently "created character while incredibly baked with a bud and now I can't seem to stop logging in", which is at least 4.6 motivations below the necessary amount to consider the existence of other servers, define for myself what I might want in a server, or do much more than chain beg buffs at teleport spots while whacking snakes with my snake whacking hammer. :chord:

today my level 14 druid died to a level 40 griffin in west commons.

Lol you sound exactly like my cousin who I also just got to create a character while incredibly baked and now he whacks snakes with a stick too. He's an 8 enchanter.

Are you in the guild? I could try to powerlevel you some if I see you online.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 31, 2016

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

week 2: home remedies against logging in failed, contemplating professional help

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol you sound exactly like my cousin who I also just got to create a character while incredibly baked and now he whacks snakes with a stick too. He's an 8 enchanter.

Are you in the guild? I could try to powerlevel you some if I see you online.

Snake whacking was pretty good, but I've upgraded to bashing those sisters in Lfay. I'm level 16 now and up from 200 to, like, 350pp! Manastone here I come :smaug:

also I'm in the guild as Gatmanno, will trade sexual favors for powerleveling.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
anyone have suggestions for where to quad in the early 30s as a Wizard?

finally got my Staff of the Wheel as well, woot. questing is a helluva drug.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

cmdrk posted:

Overthere is great and easy for 30-40, in the west and southern part of the zone. Camp at the Skyfire zone ramp and hunt from there.

There are basically two ranks of all the common mobs in OT:

weak (lvl 29-34):
a stoneleer cockatrice
a Sarnak berserker
a thorny succulent
sabretooth tigress

strong (lvl 32-39):
a spiked succulent
a Sarnak knight
a stonegazer cockatrice
sabretooth tiger

You'll learn to pull equal mobs and which are most annoying. Watch out for the wandering guards.

Also, I strongly advise you to do the Staff of Temperate Flux Quest for the ultimate drive-by pulling pool. It's an insta-cast clickie, castable from inventory, and is invaluable for quadding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cmdrk posted:

Probably won't work until you're more like 33~34 or so but I've been quadding in Iceclad Ocean as a druid and loving it. Snow Dervishes, Wolves, and then Giants are all in plentiful supply, and the zone is pretty huge and wide open so you have tons of room to run around kiting in without having to worry about stumbling into something nasty. Lots of people suggest kiting giants in kunark, and that works, but I find its more dangerous with less visibility and more things wandering around.

Its also nice as a Druid/Wizard since you can port straight to IC, kill things, and then gate or port back to tunnel and get clarity buffs or whatever you want.