Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Nodoze posted:

The moon and planets to start with. I think anything else and I'd need to really step into huge money

The moon and planets give off so much loving light that your shots will be in fractions of a second. That means a super precise mount isn't at all necessary, nor is an autoguider. Polar alignment get hosed, just use the locator on the mount to get it angled somewhat near Polaris.

Grab an 8" Orion if you want to use it for astronomy as well as astrophotography, or get a ~6" single-purpose OTA with a fast aperture ( < f/5 ) if you're serious and only want to use it for astrophotography. If you're just doing planets and the moon, a faster aperture is way more important than a larger scope.

You want a T mount specific to your camera. Also grab a 2" or 1.25" T-mount adapter for the OTA-side, depending on which eyepiece diameter you're going with.

An eyepiece extender tube may be necessary if you go for a slower aperture scope normally used for astronomy.

I consider a Bahtinov Mask essential for focus. After achieving polar alignment and getting everything connected and balanced, I point the OTA towards any star and set focus using the mask, then never refocus after that. Once it's set, it's set. There's a website somewhere where you can input your OTA diameter and it'll give you a stencil so you can make one for free out of cardboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

All the carbs, give them to me.

I will eat them.

What tastes better, a Weber 32/36 or a Rochester Quadrajet?

loving two root canals today. Honestly wouldn't have been so bad if I'd been able to schedule it properly instead of making it a last-second not-quite-emergency visit. Dentist got me in with short notice, but it was on a day he was already quite busy, so there was a lot of waiting in between steps. Enough that all of the novocaine he injected to start off was wearing out by the time they were fitting the temporary crowns, and was totally gone about halfway home.

Still need to see an oral surgeon about my wisdom teeth, too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

Weber 48 IDE with a side of rotary apex seal

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Siochain posted:

Yeah, wasn't anything huge, just a cascade of poo poo. Next time we'll just pre-shop and bring some food - its just an annoyance when they insist food is covered, and yes, there is food, but most of it is going to gently caress her guts up - not dying dead, but just "not feeling great", which is where we're at now.
I really don't understand how "straight meat and veggies" is a hard one to organise with Christmas meals. That's basically your staple of a proper Christmas meal, and stereotypically there's always plenty spare.

Liquid Communism posted:

Why haven't you bought it already?

It's goood.
Well, I have since posting, yes.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just bought SimplePlanes in the Steam sale. Puttered around for 5 minutes, landed the starter plane and then decided to build a Lightning:

Performance is...satisfactory. :jeb: I think we hit around 85.000 feet before the control surfaces stopped having any effect.

(Please do not ask how long it took to get the wings even halfway right.)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Holley 750CFM Double Pumper :getin:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
3hour drive to relatives took over 6 hours due to lovely traffic everywhere.

Plus, every place I stopped for food had 30 people queuing up as they were also taking a break from sitting in stationary traffic.

I survived by eating the elderly mint imperials from the glove box.

Added bonus- by the time I got to the gathering, all the food had been eaten.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fridge corn posted:

We're they aware of.your wife's stringent dietary requirements before hand?

Yes. And its far from stringent. Meat and veg should be easy, but when the fridge is stocked with nothing but carbs as far as the eye can see...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Siochain posted:

Yes. And its far from stringent. Meat and veg should be easy, but when the fridge is stocked with nothing but carbs as far as the eye can see...
Is the lack of meat related to other aforementioned relative's vegetarian nonsense totally legit and perfectly valid dietary choice?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The vegetarian can eat whatever is there, just without the meat. That's not picky at all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have crohn's and certain food just fucks me up, not that I don't want to eat it, I just don't want to feel like I have a giant knife turning in my stomach.

Cole slaw is one of my favorite things to eat but even sniffing it gives me stabbing pains these days :smith:

Man, that sucks. Cole Slaw is yummy! That's like the ultimate "when the foods you love don't love you back" thing (old antacid commercial, for you young things.)

Fermented Tinal posted:

All the carbs, give them to me.

I will eat them.

Yeah, me too. That's the problem. :/

Fermented Tinal posted:

I easily consume 4000 calories a day, mostly in carbs.

I'm 6'3" and 220lbs, and on Christmas Eve I put size 34 pants on for the first time in several years, having lost about 35lbs since getting my promotion.

And now I'm afraid I'm going to have to hate you.
I'm 6'2" and... more than that.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Holley 650, manual secondary. Or two 390s, if you're blown.
Carter AFB if you don't like float bowls.
Dellortos, if you prefer Italian.

You Am I posted:

Holley 750CFM Double Pumper :getin:

e: f,b

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm partial to Aisin carbs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't think I could handle a double pumper.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't think I could handle a double pumper.

:rimshot:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Goodbye Carrie. Nobody quite rocked the coke nail like you did in ROTJ.

Man 2016 sucked and I'm not optimistic about 2017.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Three-Phase posted:

Man 2016 sucked and I'm not optimistic about 2017.
Just think of all the famous people you care about (without any actual person connection) who can't die in 2017!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Three-Phase posted:

https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/256120817811865600

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Man, I really loved "Sassy, got her poo poo mostly together and didn't give no fucks" Carrie Fisher.

She was like everyone's favorite slightly crazy aunt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KozmoNaut posted:

Man, I really loved "Sassy, got her poo poo mostly together and didn't give no fucks" Carrie Fisher.

Agreed, when she stopped giving a gently caress what people thought it was awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My wife got me a Nespresso machine for christmas and it's pretty loving awesome. Best cappuccino I've ever made at home by far.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife got me a Nespresso machine for christmas and it's pretty loving awesome. Best cappuccino I've ever made at home by far.

Did it come with the milk frother? That thing is even better than the espresso maker. put the little wire frother in, fill to the low mark with eggnog and enjoy a homemade nog latte

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it came with it, the frother is genius. I was a bit skeptical at first because I'm a cappuccino nerd and didn't think a pod machine could replicate the real deal but it does. So happy I can make a quality latte/cappuccino at home without spending a million dollars on legit grinders and espresso machines.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'm now down to one semi-working fluorescent light in my garage.

I'm in the UK, so all the cheap lighting options you have in the USA don't seem to apply.

Are there any decent and cheap options in the UK?

I was thinking of getting 4 x 4ft IP65 fluorescent enclosures (£18 each) and then putting the LED replacement tubes in them (£13 each for an 1800 lumen 4ft tube). Is there a better option?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

I'm now down to one semi-working fluorescent light in my garage.

I'm in the UK, so all the cheap lighting options you have in the USA don't seem to apply.

Are there any decent and cheap options in the UK?

I was thinking of getting 4 x 4ft IP65 fluorescent enclosures (£18 each) and then putting the LED replacement tubes in them (£13 each for an 1800 lumen 4ft tube). Is there a better option?

LED workshop lighting:

https://www.ledlights.co.uk/72-watt-led-panel-light-57600-lumens.html

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Uk costco has started stocking a 4ft double tube led unit for about £40 I think, failing that there are 600x600 led panels designed to install into drop ceiling or flush mount to whatever for about £25-30.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Hmm. I like them but I'm not sure how well they will work in my garage as it has a very low roof which also has beams across it.
I could do with lots of smaller ones of these I think!
How water resistant are they too? I think condensation has killed my current light fittings.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Uk costco has started stocking a 4ft double tube led unit for about £40 I think, failing that there are 600x600 led panels designed to install into drop ceiling or flush mount to whatever for about £25-30.

I'm not a Costco member. I'll check their pricing out compared to screwfix who have IP65 doubles for £50

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I finished Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon the other day.
My God, it even has a training montage, complete with "you can do it!" inspirational pop rock!
What I'm saying is it's the most '90s thing ever, and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGJjOCdOwRE

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ8H3TbaDIc

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 28, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I'm not a Costco member. I'll check their pricing out compared to screwfix who have IP65 doubles for £50
I am, I think Cakesmith Handyman is too, so we can probably sort you out if required.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

Hmm. I like them but I'm not sure how well they will work in my garage as it has a very low roof which also has beams across it.
I could do with lots of smaller ones of these I think!
How water resistant are they too? I think condensation has killed my current light fittings.

Hang them from the beams. No problem.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
If UK Costco is anything like it is here, going there on a Sunday afternoon and gorging on free samples is almost worth the cost of membership alone.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im also a Costco member in the uk but I'm not gonna help you sorry

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

NOOOOO 2016. 7.3 getting towed by a 6.0. Only loving time *ever*.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Magnus Praeda posted:

If UK Costco is anything like it is here, going there on a Sunday afternoon and gorging on free samples is almost worth the cost of membership alone.

You view this as a benefit? I hate going on weekends, you can't move because of the herds of people waiting for samples clustering around the ends of aisles. No, I don't want one of the dozen pizza bagels or cut-up chicken strips you and the other 30 people are about to fight to the death for - I just want to get past you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

unless it's been hosed with, the raised letter powerstroke badge should indicate it's a 7.3 powerstroke :goonsay:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

You seem to be lacking a little something in the rear (heh.)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

unless it's been hosed with, the raised letter powerstroke badge should indicate it's a 7.3 powerstroke :goonsay:

lawl that'd indicate why it was so loving gutless. he said 6.0, and I'm too tired/deaf to care otherwise, plus later looking lights.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

you should have just beat his rear end till he blew a headgasket and then stole his wheels/tires and drove off.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
6.ohno.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Geoj posted:

You view this as a benefit? I hate going on weekends, you can't move because of the herds of people waiting for samples clustering around the ends of aisles. No, I don't want one of the dozen pizza bagels or cut-up chicken strips you and the other 30 people are about to fight to the death for - I just want to get past you.

You're doing Costco wrong. :colbert:

My wife has a similar opinion. I just know it's not something that can be changed and plan to enjoy it. Costco on a weekend day is an hour, minimum. If you want in-and-out-wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, you want to go on a weekday evening. I've done a full cartload trip in under 20 minutes on a Thursday at 7-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

lawl that'd indicate why it was so loving gutless. he said 6.0, and I'm too tired/deaf to care otherwise, plus later looking lights.

I didn't see the curb initially and was thinking "man, the gently caress is on that road that even the tow truck has flats"

• Locked thread