Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

artsy fartsy posted:

I lurk this thread from time to time, it makes me feel normal (and makes me wanna try meds again).

I'm wondering if any of you have difficulty speaking? I talk very quickly and quietly, which is not helped by my constant struggling to find the right words. It's like I'm thinking of three different ways to say something and jumping between them; or I'll try to think of a word and come out with indirectly-related words, or even friggin antonyms. Or I'll just get hung up entirely, almost like a stutter.

This all gets so much worse if I'm put on the spot or anxious for whatever reason.

Anyway, is this an ADHD thing or just a me thing?

This happened to me a lot, and got a lot better for me after I started medication. Apparently it's referred to as cluttering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It happens to me all the time, and I generally describe it as my brain, mouth, and hearing all spinning at different speeds. It happens more when I'm nervous, and sometimes when I'm excited. I'm fairly articulate for the most part but when I panic I start trying to say two or three separate sentences at once. Sometimes I just stop mid-word and ask for a moment to reorganize my brain.

I have the opposite volume problem though, I learned to project when I was young for school presentations and the like, and I guess nobody taught me how to stop.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

artsy fartsy posted:

I'm wondering if any of you have difficulty speaking? I talk very quickly and quietly, which is not helped by my constant struggling to find the right words. It's like I'm thinking of three different ways to say something and jumping between them; or I'll try to think of a word and come out with indirectly-related words, or even friggin antonyms. Or I'll just get hung up entirely, almost like a stutter.

This all gets so much worse if I'm put on the spot or anxious for whatever reason.

Not sure if its just an ADHD thing but description fits me perfectly. I also tend to stutter due to anxiety and speed of thoughts.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

skull mask mcgee posted:

This happened to me a lot, and got a lot better for me after I started medication. Apparently it's referred to as cluttering.

Thanks! Nice to put a name to it.

And knowing meds could help with this is very exciting for me.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yes, to the point that I was put in speech therapy when I was a child. I didn't really stutter in the theatrical sense, but I did exhibit a choppy speech pattern with a lot of stops and starts. Now I mostly have a handle on it, but sometimes when I'm tired or excited I lose the train of my sentence and just kind of stop while my brain recollects itself.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Goons posted:

About caffeine
Thanks for the replies. Consider me schooled.

Anyone try Bullet Journaling?

I think I might give it a whirl for 2017 and forget about it 2 weeks later :toot:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I think my attempt at bullet journaling lasted about a month of me half-assing it, which is much better than other planners have worked out :v:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't really even understand how bullet journaling works. I just use Todoist for an actual task list

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
:aaaaa: I never knew there was a name for what I do. Cluttering is a huge part of the reason why Im so anxious socially since when I talk but end up flailing about I just get embarrassed and dont paint myself in a strong light. People have lost respect for me, and some of the issues I have at work is because the main guy who is supposed to train me and Im supposed to work directly with has one of those overbearing critical personalities and assumes im a dumbass.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah unfortunately the effects caused by anxiety tend to lead to more anxiety. It's kind of a catch-22 and the only way I've found to get out of it is to shamelessly not give a gently caress about opinions about yourself. It's self-consciousness that will kill your social connections every time.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Strattera has been great for me, but unfortunately it's time as at an end for me. I don't want to deal with the fatigue anymore. What have your guys' experience been with other non-stimulant meds? If Strattera worked for me will the other types also work? Stimulants make me too anxious, moody and irritable.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Strattera has been great for me, but unfortunately it's time as at an end for me. I don't want to deal with the fatigue anymore. What have your guys' experience been with other non-stimulant meds? If Strattera worked for me will the other types also work? Stimulants make me too anxious, moody and irritable.

Look into Nortriptyline perhaps? I was on it for about 18 months and managed to get through a Diploma.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

:aaaaa: I never knew there was a name for what I do. Cluttering is a huge part of the reason why Im so anxious socially since when I talk but end up flailing about I just get embarrassed and dont paint myself in a strong light. People have lost respect for me, and some of the issues I have at work is because the main guy who is supposed to train me and Im supposed to work directly with has one of those overbearing critical personalities and assumes im a dumbass.

I'm not sure that I've got exactly the same thing going on, but I definitely lose track of where sentences are going sometimes and have some (rudimentary) strategies for dealing with it:

In more formal discussions, or whenever I've got a while in between speaking (worked best in classroom, but basic idea translates pretty well to meetings at least) I write down a quick, couple bullet point outline of what I want to say right before. Coming in to whatever it is, I also try and just outline a few thoughts about whatever I think will come up. Some of this is just generally being prepared, but I find it really helps to have prep with an adhoc 'script', especially when I'm trying to get across something complicated/with a lot of moving parts. Or just so I don't randomly forget whatever I'm intending to say...

In general, it can also help to just like, walk through/prep beforehand for social situations that come up a lot that are difficult. Like, if there's consistent patterns of ways that you're having stressful/lovely/generally difficult interactions with your boss or whoever, it can really help to just think through responses/what to say (in a structured way, not following a series of anxious what-ifs or what have you).

A good, more formal way of doing that latter thing would be a DBT or CBT program/workbook/group, both types of therapy are very heavy on processes and frameworks to help with this kind of stuff.

Generally it's just a tough thing to deal with, but practice, meds, and just keeping on trying can help, good luck! I'm sorry people are being lovely about it though, that's just about the least helpful thing.

foutre fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 1, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

"Prior authorization" poo poo can suck my balls out of my rectum

I've been waiting 2 weeks for my adderall to be refilled because the insurance company doesn't want me to. They need to doctor to tell them that yes when she wrote the loving scrip, she meant to. WHAT THE gently caress

I NEED THIS poo poo TO loving FUNCTION YOU PIECES OF poo poo

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Is this through your GP, or a Psychiatrist? I had similar recurring issues with my GP, went to a Psych who cut me a deal on the appointment when I explained the situation, and just pay for generics out of pocket.

I understand this can be more expensive, but it is a whole lot less stressful to deal with and the consistency is reassuring.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

This is with my psych. I have 3 months worth of paper scrips for adderall, and my insurance is being shitheads.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

signalnoise posted:

This is with my psych. I have 3 months worth of paper scrips for adderall, and my insurance is being shitheads.

Yeah they are, this takes like a day tops with my insurance.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

signalnoise posted:

"Prior authorization" poo poo can suck my balls out of my rectum

I've been waiting 2 weeks for my adderall to be refilled because the insurance company doesn't want me to. They need to doctor to tell them that yes when she wrote the loving scrip, she meant to. WHAT THE gently caress

I NEED THIS poo poo TO loving FUNCTION YOU PIECES OF poo poo

My insurance has a big list called the "Formulary" that says what drugs are covered under which copay and which ones require authorization. You should check yours out, you might find that you can get the generic without authorization, or the non-extended release etc.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

taqueso posted:

My insurance has a big list called the "Formulary" that says what drugs are covered under which copay and which ones require authorization. You should check it out, you might find that you can get the generic without authorization, or the non-extended release etc.

I'm well aware, used to be a pharmacy tech actually. The issue was that I got 10mg IR adderall x60 and 20mg XR adderall x60 in a single month. BUT THEY WERE WRITTEN ON THE SAME DAY YOU FUCKS

Anyways I got the scrip a few days ago. My poo poo's just gonna be off schedule for a while.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 7, 2017

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
So my employer switched insurance companies and my new insurance company has decided that Vyvanse needs prior authorization, which I suspect means that I'm going to get to go through different medications unless my doctor can convince my insurance company that it's actually a dumb idea to switch my meds for no reason.

What should I be expecting to be taking instead/what should I know about it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Mattybee posted:

So my employer switched insurance companies and my new insurance company has decided that Vyvanse needs prior authorization, which I suspect means that I'm going to get to go through different medications unless my doctor can convince my insurance company that it's actually a dumb idea to switch my meds for no reason.

What should I be expecting to be taking instead/what should I know about it?

Vyvanse is basically Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) with a funky chemical structure where it gets broken down more gradually in the body. Hopefully your doctor will have your back and you can continue taking something that works for you without having to figure out a different dosage of a different drug.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason you think your insurance won't cover it? Vyvanse requires prior authorization with my insurance, too, but after the initial delay while waiting for my doctor and insurance to communicate, I don't have a problem getting the prescription filled each month.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is there a reason you think your insurance won't cover it? Vyvanse requires prior authorization with my insurance, too, but after the initial delay while waiting for my doctor and insurance to communicate, I don't have a problem getting the prescription filled each month.

Yeah other than having to sell a kidney to afford it (which hopefully will be less of a problem with Cigna; incidentally Coventry can lick my rear end) once I got the pdoc to call them there was no issue.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
My doc put me on Ritalin. I've been slowly increasing my dosage 10 extra mg per week. I'm now just starting 30mg. Haven't noticed MUCH of a difference until I skipped a dose one day this week. I'm taking a German class and was just completely unable to follow what was being taught. I know everyone's different, but what dosage have you guys found effective?

Also I still want to drink coffee. :( Do any of you pull it off without major jitters?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Rabbit Hill posted:

The call from the doctor I got this morning that said they wouldn't :v:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Gaspy Conana posted:

My doc put me on Ritalin. I've been slowly increasing my dosage 10 extra mg per week. I'm now just starting 30mg. Haven't noticed MUCH of a difference until I skipped a dose one day this week. I'm taking a German class and was just completely unable to follow what was being taught. I know everyone's different, but what dosage have you guys found effective?

Also I still want to drink coffee. :( Do any of you pull it off without major jitters?

Have you tried tea? I find the caffeine in that gives me a bit of a boost without being awful feeling.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gaspy Conana posted:

I didn't have good success with ritalin but I get by with 60mg of adderall a day along with nicotine and a lot of caffeine

I'm going to die soon I'm sure and I am fairly certain that none of this is helping

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Between the recent climate change news and our new orange president I have fully embraced my addiction to coffee and the early death it will probably bring.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Gaspy Conana posted:

Also I still want to drink coffee. :(

Oh that's easy, you just-

quote:

Do any of you pull it off without major jitters?

Oh. Nevermind.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

poo poo, I WISH I had some kind of immediately noticeable drawback other than a 100+ resting heart rate.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Gaspy Conana posted:

I take 5mg twice a day, it's pretty effective for me and I don't get jitters/anxious even though I still drink coffee. It's different for everyone, good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are signs I should look for that I may need a different dose or a different med? Or, hell, that I don't actually have ADHD in the first place and shouldn't be on the meds at all? Adderall XR 20mg definitely wakes me up in the morning but I'm not sure it's helping me maintain focus anymore, and I'm back to my leg-bouncing, impatient with myself, irritable ways. I'm doing better at work but I credit that more to some serious effort on my part to get organized and hold myself to self-imposed, short turn-around deadlines than anything.

I dunno, I'm sure it's normal to be like "do I even have ADHD at all or did I just trick myself into thinking I do because it's easier to confront than thinking I'm just a lazy poo poo?" And I'm almost certainly worried about nothing. But I'm also still flying relatively blind and I won't see my doctor again for a couple months.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Well, are you just focusing on the wrong things? Stimulants help you be able to focus, but they do not force you to suddenly be an organized person. Kudos for doing it. Talk to your doctor about your concerns though.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I personally haven't been on anything in a few years and am mostly coping with it. (This thread helping me realize that losing some words in conversation isn't hearing loss, that was a relief.)
When I was diagnosed back in jr high, I would do alright being able to focus on Vyvanse. Though somewhere in high school I learned that if I didn't take it at the exact same time I would hyper focus like a motherfucker on one specific thing, had me missing school a couple times because of it, playing games, etc. Other than that I stopped cold turkey while on 40mg to see how I would cope. I don't remember any ill effects from quitting that time. A year later I had to switch docs and decided that I should totally try meds again, but this one put me on 60mgs of strattera. That seemingly did nothing until that doc bumped it up to 80mg and I was a depressive mess for a few months starting college. And again, cut cold instead of weening off because who wants to deal with that poo poo.

Reading through some of this thread has given me hope to try and start meds again at some point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Harrow posted:

What are signs I should look for that I may need a different dose or a different med? Or, hell, that I don't actually have ADHD in the first place and shouldn't be on the meds at all? Adderall XR 20mg definitely wakes me up in the morning but I'm not sure it's helping me maintain focus anymore, and I'm back to my leg-bouncing, impatient with myself, irritable ways. I'm doing better at work but I credit that more to some serious effort on my part to get organized and hold myself to self-imposed, short turn-around deadlines than anything.

I dunno, I'm sure it's normal to be like "do I even have ADHD at all or did I just trick myself into thinking I do because it's easier to confront than thinking I'm just a lazy poo poo?" And I'm almost certainly worried about nothing. But I'm also still flying relatively blind and I won't see my doctor again for a couple months.

Adderall only works on the days you take it, so take a day off and see how it goes. It's also possible that the meds are helping you with some things, like productivity at work, while at the same time having negative side effects.

This is the kind of thing that would be excellent to work through with a therapist who is very familiar with the disorder, and you should absolutely be proactive about contacting your psychiatrist if you're unhappy with the effects of the medication you were prescribed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the advice on what I should expect out of the Adderall, everyone. I'm always a little paranoid that I'm being a hypochondriac and that I don't actually have ADHD--it seemed a little too easy to be diagnosed, though maybe it's just because it's pretty obvious to a trained medical professional.

Here's a weird thing about Adderall for someone like me who usually has a huge appetite. It's weird going from "don't force yourself to eat more if you're full" to "seriously, force yourself to eat at least something in the morning or you're going to forget to eat anything all day." As long as I eat at least a couple bites of something at breakfast time, my appetite's normal for the rest of the day, but if I don't, food just makes me mildly nauseous the whole day.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That's not uncommon with stimulant ADHD meds. Ritalin does the same thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I know the loss of appetite is far from unexpected. It's just a weird (though not totally unwelcome) change for me, because before this I was the guy who'd eat basically any time of day.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Just keep an eye on it. It can be worryingly easy to lose a lot of weight because you just don't give enough of a poo poo about food to keep yourself fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just keep an eye on it. It can be worryingly easy to lose a lot of weight because you just don't give enough of a poo poo about food to keep yourself fed.

I wish for this